PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago
With 21 million available yet, what is Ted going to do with the cap room he has. We don't have key pieces coming up for contract next year that we could get a deal done early to use up space this year freeing up money in the future. And a draft class isn't going to eat up that much, so unless Ted brings in a FA or two, what is he going to do with the space. Just roll if forward another year?

We have the money to spend, to bring in a couple players without having to mortgage the future, and we have holes and depth issues that could be filled. We can count on the BPA in each round of the draft just happens to fall into the exact positional needs we have.

I would like to see two players brought in that are still on the market. Brandon Spikes to improve the ILB position.

And for the offense. Dwayne Bowe. I think he would be a tremendous fit opposite of Jordy, freeing Cobb up in the slot. Give him a 2-3 year deal, allowing our young WR to develop without as much pressure to perform today, and still having weapons for Rodgers to throw at.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago

With 21 million available yet, what is Ted going to do with the cap room he has. We don't have key pieces coming up for contract next year that we could get a deal done early to use up space this year freeing up money in the future. And a draft class isn't going to eat up that much, so unless Ted brings in a FA or two, what is he going to do with the space. Just roll if forward another year?

We have the money to spend, to bring in a couple players without having to mortgage the future, and we have holes and depth issues that could be filled. We can count on the BPA in each round of the draft just happens to fall into the exact positional needs we have.

I would like to see two players brought in that are still on the market. Brandon Spikes to improve the ILB position.

And for the offense. Dwayne Bowe. I think he would be a tremendous fit opposite of Jordy, freeing Cobb up in the slot. Give him a 2-3 year deal, allowing our young WR to develop without as much pressure to perform today, and still having weapons for Rodgers to throw at.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I agree with the sentiment, but don't see how Bowe gives us a better chance to win. I am of the same opinion when it comes to bringing Jennings back. This team needs Defense help more than anything. Going for it all I would have liked to have seen a Revis all-in type of deal. How many players could claim to win back-to-back Superbowls with 2 different teams? I guess the case could have been made for Suh as well, but as I have stated in other threads I don't want him. A guy who should have been suspended for their most important game of the season is not a guy I want on my team. To me he is a great player who will never live up to his talent due to his inability to control his emotions.

beast
9 years ago

With 21 million available

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Randomly guessing...

~ draft picks will cost about $5 million. So 16 million left...

~ Resign Bush (2), Kuhn (1), and Raji (3) and/or Guion (3) ... ummm 9 million?... completely random guess there could be way off... so 7 million left.

~ Move some of the cap money forward as they've got a number of contracts that the cap numbers are about to increase as guys like Rodgers, Matthews, Shields, Cobb, Nelson and Bulaga cap numbers are about to go up in the near future and the Packers make sure they don't get into cap troubles like some teams.

Just looking at Rodgers, Matthews, Shields, Cobb, Nelson and Bulaga cap combined numbers

2015: 53.468 million
2016: 68.625 million (increased over 15 million)
2017: 79.775 million (increased over 11 million)

While the cap is getting larger, I don't believe (but could be wrong) but I don't believe it's getting larger at that pace. And they're probably still going to want to resign guys like Daniels, Hayward, Neal maybe Perry in 2016. And in 2017 they might want to sign Peppers, Sitton, Lang, Datone, Lacy, Bakhtiari, Hyde, Boyd and Barrington... so the Packers are probably going to do what they normally do in roll some money forward to make sure they can pay for what they already spent AND resign their own guys they want even if they have to overpay some if the market is in high demand for them.

UserPostedImage
steveishere
9 years ago
It's March. We aren't going to end the season with 21 million in cap space considering we've spent pretty close to the cap pretty much every year I'd say it's a pretty good bet we'll spend a bit of that money somehow. Too many people are freaking out this early in the game. Not that you are necessarily freaking out but it just blows my mind how many people are just losing their shit and predicting doom and gloom because we haven't spent all of our money 1 week into free agency.

As for specific free agents I'd be in on Spikes as well as someone like Patrick Robinson at CB. The problem is we don't know what these guys have been asking for. Some players are still getting very overpaid and a lot of the guys who haven't signed yet are in that situation because their market wasn't what they expected it to be so you have to wait for reality to catch up to their fantasies.
TheKanataThrilla
9 years ago
Great analysis beast. Spot on!
nerdmann
9 years ago
Yeah, they'd move some of the cap money up to free up future space.

Ted will get some guys in here on D.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
greengold
9 years ago

Great analysis beast. Spot on!

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

Exactly. Except for Peppers who I believe will turn 40 in 2017. :signeek: 👅

blueleopard
9 years ago
This is one year where I really don't care about free agency. Short of Brian Orakpo and maybe Darrelle Revis, there is nobody in the open market that legitimately makes the Packers a better team. They're better off keeping who they have on the roster, including both Raji and Guion.

Short of convincing Patrick Willis and Chris Borland out of retirement, there's nobody out there I want.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (20h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (20h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (20h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (20h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (20h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (20h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (20h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (21h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.