nerdmann
9 years ago

For the love of God, nerdmann, how many more of your "self-shitting" posts are we going to have to endure? You've got to let it go, man. There are many teams each year with the talent to win it all, but only one team can. Is that the only way you can be happy as a fan, to have your team win the big one? It's amazing how much butthurt and personal trauma some people experience over a game.

Originally Posted by: Mr_Bumpy 

If it happened once, I would bring it up, ONCE.

However it continues to happen over and over again, culminating in what happened this past NFCCG. If/when it stops, then I will stop referring to it.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago
What I see is a GM who ended up with a potential HOF QB falling into his lap, when there was a need for a QB. If not for starting with Brett, and than having Aaron, the view of Ted and Mike would be completely different.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Bigbyfan
9 years ago

What I see is a GM who ended up with a potential HOF QB falling into his lap, when there was a need for a QB. If not for starting with Brett, and than having Aaron, the view of Ted and Mike would be completely different.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

I keep seeing people say that Rodgers "fell into his lap." However, no one is giving Ted credit for actually making that pick.

Ted saw what 23 teams didn't and picked up his quarterback of the future. He had the vision to take Rodgers even though Favre would end up playing three more years for the Packers.

Ted also had the vision/balls to move on from Favre and give Rodgers the job, something that many of these same fans felt was a terrible decision (even if you want to pretend you didn't).

Rodgers was in the last year or two of his contract during the whole Favre fiasco. Do you really think Rodgers would've stuck around if Ted catered to Favre again? Ted also signed Rodger very early into his playing career to a deal averaging 10-11 mil a year. Again many fans bitched that it was too much. The majority of that deal ended up being a bargain.

When Randy Moss could've been had for Rodgers, Ted said no. Again many fans thought that was a terrible decision.

Yet Rodgers only "fell into his lap?"
blank
Bigbyfan
9 years ago
However, I do agree that he has neglected the ILB position for many years.
blank
PackFanWithTwins
9 years ago

I keep seeing people say that Rodgers "fell into his lap." However, no one is giving Ted credit for actually making that pick.

Ted saw what 23 teams didn't and picked up his quarterback of the future. He had the vision to take Rodgers even though Favre would end up playing three more years for the Packers.

Ted also had the vision/balls to move on from Favre and give Rodgers the job, something that many of these same fans felt was a terrible decision (even if you want to pretend you didn't).

Rodgers was in the last year or two of his contract during the whole Favre fiasco. Do you really think Rodgers would've stuck around if Ted catered to Favre again? Ted also signed Rodger very early into his playing career to a deal averaging 10-11 mil a year. Again many fans bitched that it was too much. The majority of that deal ended up being a bargain.

When Randy Moss could've been had for Rodgers, Ted said no. Again many fans thought that was a terrible decision.

Yet Rodgers only "fell into his lap?"

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

People keep saying it, because it is true. Packers were in a position, where they knew, they had to get a QB, within the next few years, so when Rodgers fell, he fell into Teds (Packers) lap.

Yes, Ted has done things like moving on from Favre, which also was a decision that was in large part made for him by Farve when he retired and the team planned and made moves under that assumption.

Wolf went out and got Brett and Reggie. Ted had Rodgers fall to him.

The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
steveishere
9 years ago
You act like drafting Rodgers was some sure thing. For one thing the Packers fan base absolutely hated him for taking a QB instead of using the pick on a player that would help the team "win now" with a HOF QB nearing the end of his career. For another thing it's not like Rodgers was some all time great John Elway or Andrew Luck QB prospect, there were a lot of unknowns there. Ted definitely deserves credit for giving no f***s and making that pick. To just brush it of as if some sure hall of famer just happened to land in his draft spot is pretty disingenuous.

If there was luck involved it was that Rodgers turned out as good as he was which would be the case with any draft pick whether it's pick 24 or 1 but he still deserves all the credit in the world for having the balls to make that pick in that situation.
steveishere
9 years ago

There are always exceptions. To be more general, the argument of "Well, hmpf, huff puff, take away the best part of that great football team and they would be average!!!" is just silly. Take away an elite defense and some teams with average quarterbacks wouldn't be that great either.

There is obviously more than one way to be a champion. It could be on the back of an elite quarterback and offense, or an elite defense, or it could be just an all around "good" but not "great" football team in all three phases. Either way, most teams are great in some areas and not as great in others. Most all of them would be average if their strength was taken away from them. That's the bigger point here. But it is true that a team with an average quarterback and an elite defense is very formidable. I think about the Giants, Ravens, and even the Seahawks, recently, imo.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Those teams still had above average quarterbacks though. Those teams would not have been superbowl teams if they had Seneca Wallace or Curtis Painter at QB nor would GB team be garbage if they had Flacco or Wilson at QB. Heck this team broke even with Flynn at QB and he's not even close to as good as those two.
DoddPower
9 years ago

You act like drafting Rodgers was some sure thing. For one thing the Packers fan base absolutely hated him for taking a QB instead of using the pick on a player that would help the team "win now" with a HOF QB nearing the end of his career. For another thing it's not like Rodgers was some all time great John Elway or Andrew Luck QB prospect, there were a lot of unknowns there. Ted definitely deserves credit for giving no f***s and making that pick. To just brush it of as if some sure hall of famer just happened to land in his draft spot is pretty disingenuous.

If there was luck involved it was that Rodgers turned out as good as he was which would be the case with any draft pick whether it's pick 24 or 1 but he still deserves all the credit in the world for having the balls to make that pick in that situation.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy created an atmosphere that gave Aaron Rodgers the platform to develop into the player he is today. Without that opportunity, there's no guarantee that Rodgers ever becomes more than an Alex Smith, or possibly worse. The importance of that atmosphere cannot be overlooked. That same atmosphere and system has also benefited many other players. The Aaron Rodgers we know didn't "fall in the lap" of anyone. He was a talented player that the Packers purposely selected and fostered his growth and talent so that it could be maximized. It is and has been a mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship, one that many teams rarely have. It could be better, but it's still pretty impressive.

Having an elite franchise quarterback almost ALWAYS involves some type of luck, whether that means having the number one draft pick or just striking gold. But there's more to it than just picking a player. Especially beyond the top prospect or two. Drafting a player IS going out to get them. Are the Patriots geniuses for drafting Tom Brady in the sixth round or idiots for not trading up to get him with the first overall pick? It would have been worth it to do so. Regardless of how they got him, they still provided an environment for him to flourish, and that's incredibly meaningful.
nerdmann
9 years ago

People keep saying it, because it is true. Packers were in a position, where they knew, they had to get a QB, within the next few years, so when Rodgers fell, he fell into Teds (Packers) lap.

Yes, Ted has done things like moving on from Favre, which also was a decision that was in large part made for him by Farve when he retired and the team planned and made moves under that assumption.

Wolf went out and got Brett and Reggie. Ted had Rodgers fall to him.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

That move took kojones.

Not only did Favre think he was running the show, but it would also necessitate Ted finding a coaching staff who would be able to develop Aaron. Perhaps you think Sherman/Rosseley were going to do that. I do not think they would have been able to, even if they hadn't had their heads up Favre's keester.

THEN there is the situation with moving on from Bert to Aaron. That took more balls than perhaps any personnell move in NFL history. And this all is just a small part of what Ted has done.

You can say he has "neglected" the ILB position, but the FACT is, we clearly had the players needed to win the SB this past year with Hawk and BJones still on the roster.

Ted is a dude who drafted BOTH Eddie Lacy AND Johnathan Franklin. And as usual, he only gets to keep one of them. If you list just the players who Ted has lost due to injury, you could probably make the playoffs with those players alone. And I'm not counting Harrell, or guys who had an injury history.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
9 years ago

Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy created an atmosphere that gave Aaron Rodgers the platform to develop into the player he is today. Without that opportunity, there's no guarantee that Rodgers ever becomes more than an Alex Smith, or possibly worse. The importance of that atmosphere cannot be overlooked. That same atmosphere and system has also benefited many other players. The Aaron Rodgers we know didn't "fall in the lap" of anyone. He was a talented player that the Packers purposely selected and fostered his growth and talent so that it could be maximized. It is and has been a mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship, one that many teams rarely have. It could be better, but it's still pretty impressive.

Having an elite franchise quarterback almost ALWAYS involves some type of luck, whether that means having the number one draft pick or just striking gold. But there's more to it than just picking a player. Especially beyond the top prospect or two. Drafting a player IS going out to get them. Are the Patriots geniuses for drafting Tom Brady in the sixth round or idiots for not trading up to get him with the first overall pick? It would have been worth it to do so. Regardless of how they got him, they still provided an environment for him to flourish, and that's incredibly meaningful.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

"There is no such thing as luck. There is only preparation, meeting opportunity." -Vince Lombardi
Fan Shout
dhazer (27m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.