uffda udfa
9 years ago

So is it honestly your opinion that its better to have a defense ranked highly in yards allowed than one ranked highly in points allowed?

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Again, the NFL has determined that defenses are ranked by yards given up...not points allowed. My honest opinion is not an opinion but rather a fact that that is how NFL defenses are measured.

I was remiss in not addressing your other point. Resources dropped into the D. How many 1st rounders on D do we have? We just jettisoned one of our failed 1st rounders in AJ Hawk.

1st Rounders over the last few seasons:
AJ
Clay
BJ
Datone
HaHa
Nick Perry

2nd
Mike Neal
Casey Hayward

3rd
Morgan Burnett

Julius Peppers is a former 1st rounder...we could potentially have 6 or 7 defensive starters this season as 1st round picks. (would include Julius and a potential 1st round pick this year...and had we kept AJ could've been as high as EIGHT 1st rounders)

I looked at the salary cap disparity heading into last year. It was well in favor of cap dollars being spent on the defensive side of the ball. I believe I posted here about it...I know I posted it somewhere.

Those are some MAJOR resources pumped into our highly underperforming D. You honestly disagree with that?

EDIT: How many 1st rounders on O? Aaron Rodgers and Bryan Bulaga who was close to going elsewhere. TWO players. TWO. Why only TWO? We have Aaron Rodgers to mask the need for more stars on O. Ted Thompson keeps drafting 1st rounders on D and they mostly fail. He's not very good at putting together a defense. You honestly disagree with that? How many years do you get? Tell me.
Ted Thompson has drafted 6 D and 4 O in the first round and it would be 6-5 if you counted Jordy as a 1st selection. He simply isn't all that good drafting up high. Way too many misses. His charm is late rounds and UDFA's which really covers for his major failings in the draft and I mean major.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
9 years ago

Again, the NFL has determined that defenses are ranked by yards given up...not points allowed. My honest opinion is not an opinion but rather a fact that that is how NFL defenses are measured.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

So you won't answer the question then?
uffda udfa
9 years ago

So you won't answer the question then?

I never intimated that points were a better measure only that the NFL has developed a way to determine which defense is better than another and it isn't points.

Yards are more reflective of a defense's overall performance and that is why yards, not points are used. So, YES, I think yards are a much more accurate barometer of where your defense is at than points.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DoddPower
9 years ago

I never intimated that points were a better measure only that the NFL has developed a way to determine which defense is better than another and it isn't points.

Yards are more reflective of a defense's overall performance and that is why yards, not points are used. So, YES, I think yards are a much more accurate barometer of where your defense is at than points.

I think the two rankings should be averaged and used a metric of overall defensive effectiveness. Both are important, but obviously points allowed is the most important statistic there is, regardless of what's official for the NFL defense rankings. The scoreboard outranks everything.
steveishere
9 years ago

how so?
uffda udfa
9 years ago

how so?

If we're playing Seattle and Russell Wilson fumbles twice inside their 20 yard line and we score 14 points on their D that is much more a function of having less than 20 yards to go than it is a reflection on how poor Seattle's D is for giving up 14 to us under those circumstances.

There are points and counterpoints to yards vs. points but overall averaged out over a season yards are a better reflection than points.

Our D might get driven on for 75 yard drives and give up FG's. Our D still isn't very good to give up long drives but in the points category giving up 3 doesn't look too bad. I can think of many times where I thought to myself... Gee, our D is freaking brutal but we end up giving up only 3 after being gashed up and down the field.

Obviously, points not yards determine wins and losses but it isn't fair to say points given up is a better indication of who has a better D.

EDIT: The Jets were a Top 10 defense based on yards and were over 3 points worse than us on the point scale. Jets are clearly a better D than ours but on points they would be well down the rankings.
UserPostedImage

steveishere
9 years ago

If we're playing Seattle and Russell Wilson fumbles twice inside their 20 yard line and we score 14 points on their D that is much more a function of having less than 20 yards to go than it is a reflection on how poor Seattle's D is for giving up 14 to us under those circumstances.

There are points and counterpoints to yards vs. points but overall averaged out over a season yards are a better reflection than points.

Our D might get driven on for 75 yard drives and give up FG's. Our D still isn't very good to give up long drives but in the points category giving up 3 doesn't look too bad. I can think of many times where I thought to myself... Gee, our D is freaking brutal but we end up giving up only 3 after being gashed up and down the field.

Obviously, points not yards determine wins and losses but it isn't fair to say points given up is a better indication of who has a better D.

EDIT: The Jets were a Top 10 defense based on yards and were over 3 points worse than us on the point scale. Jets are clearly a better D than ours but on points they would be well down the rankings.

You could what if all day either way that doesn't really prove anything. Our D might also give up two 75 yard drives and allow 3 points on one and 0 on the other or give up 1 75 yard drive for a TD and 50 yards with a stop on the next but the team is still worse off after allowing 7.

Arizona were a clearly better D than ours yet are way down on yards rankings. I don't think using a single statistic is really proves much either way because of so many variables being involved but if I have to go by just 1 then I only care about points. The team with the most yards doesn't win the game if they give up more points but the team with the most points still wins if they give up more yards.

This defense specifically I think was a bottom half of the league defense the first half of the season and close to top 10 the 2nd half/playoffs. Which is why I wanted to ditch Dom. Obviously we had the players to field a competitive defense like we did the 2nd half of the year. I want a coach who is going to play the right players from the start.
uffda udfa
9 years ago

You could what if all day either way that doesn't really prove anything. Our D might also give up two 75 yard drives and allow 3 points on one and 0 on the other or give up 1 75 yard drive for a TD and 50 yards with a stop on the next but the team is still worse off after allowing 7.

Arizona were a clearly better D than ours yet are way down on yards rankings. I don't think using a single statistic is really proves much either way because of so many variables being involved but if I have to go by just 1 then I only care about points. The team with the most yards doesn't win the game if they give up more points but the team with the most points still wins if they give up more yards.

This defense specifically I think was a bottom half of the league defense the first half of the season and close to top 10 the 2nd half/playoffs. Which is why I wanted to ditch Dom. Obviously we had the players to field a competitive defense like we did the 2nd half of the year. I want a coach who is going to play the right players from the start.

Yes, I know we could go back and forth all day and said as much. Funny you brought up Arizona. I had a similar first reaction when I saw where they were in the rankings. However, you must remember Arizona suffered multiple losses to that defense. They were not the same unit as they were after their losses. St. Louis was below us. I think I'd take the Rams D.

We didn't ditch Dom and I am with you that he should go. I do not believe he has the passion needed anymore at his age and where he is in his career. He seems like the kind of mail it in type I'm still getting a check I hope they don't find out I don't care guy.

To extend Mike McCarthy when he holds fast to Dom is something Ted Thompson could've remedied by moving on from MM. He didn't which is validation that he is fine with the direction of the defense.

UserPostedImage

buckeyepackfan
9 years ago
I want to apologize to the long standing members of this forum.

It is the off season and there is mot much happening right now.

I needed a little laugh so I started this thread knowing uffda just wouldn't be able to resist another chance to hijack a thread and
Post his same old predictable thoughts on Ted Thompson.

Another chance to prove to us all just how much more intelligent he is.

Damn it worked even better than I thought it would.

The original article is based on the number of pro bowl players gm's have drafted.

NoTHING else.

I was betting uffda wouldn't read it and Damn I was right again.

Some people are just easy to fuck with.

Sorry again.

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄

No I'm not.

That was fun.

It's good to be the puppet master!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
DoddPower
9 years ago

I don't think using a single statistic is really proves much either way because of so many variables being involved but if I have to go by just 1 then I only care about points. The team with the most yards doesn't win the game if they give up more points but the team with the most points still wins if they give up more yards.

That's why I think I'm coming to like averaging the two together for a single ranking. For example, if a team is 16th in yards but 10th in points then [(16+10)/2]=13th "overall" defense. Conversely, if one felt that one factor was more important than the other, they could weight the two metrics accordingly. Obviously they are both important, so they both should be considered. I would probably weight points at 60% importance and yards at 40%, give or take 5-10%. So if a team was 16th in yards and 10th in points that would be [ (16*0.4)+(10*0.6) ] ~=12th "overall" defense.

The Packers were 18th in yards allowed and tied for 13th in points allowed. Using my weighted metric, that would make them the 15th "overall" defense (or 16th if both metrics are weighted equally). An average unit, which is just what they are and likely will be under Dom Capers.

Minor differences, but still interesting to me. It's a summary metric that I would like to see when evaluating a defense relative to the rest of the league. It'd be easy to just add another column in Excel along with the yards and points rankings to calculate "overall" defensive rankings.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (5h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (23h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.