Barfarn
8 years ago
Ya, guilty as charged, I can be wordsy; but Uffda in this thread you’ve used 10x more words than I and have only said, “TT in my subjective opinion is average.” [Remember: when pointing your finger at someone there’s three painting back at you] Sorry, just havin’ a little harmless/banter fun...LOL

I respect what you write and read it and try to understand it and that is why I have not answered your question, because it has not been posed until now and given my purported, as you say, “brilliance,” I’m not omniscient. But, yes I believe Ted Thompson is stellar.

Perhaps I am omniscient! I gaze into my crystal ball and see the future: you quibbling over that answer...LOL

Your position in attacking the MJS article is largely the byproduct of a logical fallacy called the “strawman.” You are using the word “stellar” by applying a myopic definition of it that was never intended by the writer; you then attack the writer’s position based on that myopic definition. Good communication is like a contract; there must be a meeting of the minds. Years ago “gay” meant happy; “bad” meant bad. Today “bad” can mean good and “gay” probably means homosexual. Also, the words in our language are often loaded w/ connotation, which are sometimes intentionally implied by the writer or erroneously inferred [or not inferred] by the reader. One cannot know what a writer is implying [or not implying] or his meaning behind various words until we read them in CONTEXT OF THE ENTIRE ARTICLE. In the subject article there is nothing to suggest “stellar” = preeminent; clearly, the writer is using “stellar” more colloquially to mean very good or outstanding. And to be 100% clear this is the context as to which I am using the word.

No one would have trouble using “stellar” to refer to Ted Williams’ 1941 .400 batting average; except his subjective, emotional and irrationally angry [irrationality only refers to her disgust toward the achievement-TW was an absolute tool] ex-wife; yet he failed 6 of 10 times. As stated above TW’s and TT’s performances cannot be measured independently; they can ONLY be measured relative to the performances of others. If the average baseball player is hitting .700, then .400 stinks.

Good drafting is 99% dependent on a high quality draft board and please absorb this: drafting is not only about who you draft; but who you DON’T draft. Imagine if the Lions DIDN’T draft Titus Young; but drafted Cobb instead. And who you DON’T draft has everything to do with UDFA success. A good draft board and UDFA success are inextricably tied together. TT’s draft board identified, EG, Shields and Tramon as draftable players; BUT Ted Thompson knew who to draft and who not to draft in the late rounds. EG. in 2010, in the 6th and 7th Ted Thompson drafted Starks and Wilson; but NOT Shields. Ted Thompson knew Elliot’s relationship was gonna bring in Sam and that no other team was gonna pick him. In 2006, Ted Thompson drafted some good quality players [Tollefson, Culver, Jolly] in 6th and 7th; but NOT Tramon. Ted Thompson knew TW was going to sign w/ HTN; Ted Thompson knew HTN had Faggins, Sanders, Robinson, McCleon, Buchanon, Stone, etc and would cut TW; so Ted Thompson DIDN’T draft TW and just waited to pounce.

Is Ted Thompson the best at knowing who and who not to draft? Who cares and it’s futile to try to answer. Is Ted Thompson really good, outstanding as a drafter/nondrafter? Without question! Who is better? I don’t know any. One guy that was really good was Scot McCloughan; until he succumb to addictions and using his draft board even a dope like Baalke could look good for a year or 2. Schneider using TT’s draft board looked stellar [LOL]; but over the years as Schneider became privy to less and less of TT’s draft board, his drafts have steadily become worse and now he’s in full pissant panic mode.

Uffda, I’ll bet you’re one of those guys that incessantly whines about Ted Thompson underutilizing free agency. Let me explain something. NE uses the same D &D philosophy as TT; but because of recent draft failures at CB [Dowling, Ebner, Dennard and Logan] and S [Wilson and Harmon] so McCourty could play CB; BB had to go get Revis and Browner. If BB drafted better, he would not have needed to delve into FAs.

While minimally supplementing draft failures with FAs, our 2014 roster was so talented it dominated Seattle on both LOSs and finished in the final four. If we are just as or more talented than NE, Seattle and/or Indy; but have not signed nearly as many FAs; does this not by definition mean Ted Thompson drafted/nondrafted better than the other teams? It is the ONLY explanation.
QCHuskerFan
8 years ago
Well written and thought out. But you're wasting time by using intelligence and logic in this discussion.
buckeyepackfan
8 years ago
Get ready barn,
Uffda is about to unleash his hundreds of old articles and useless examples on you.

To save yourself some time just go back to any Ted Thompson thread and you will find them .
Beware he will not stop posting.
He is never wrong and when He is, he will try and spin his story in a different direction to try and bore and confuse you into submitting.

Uffda is all about Uffda.

Ted is all about keeping a winning g Team in Green Bay.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Get ready barn,
Uffda is about to unleash his hundreds of old articles and useless examples on you.

To save yourself some time just go back to any Ted Thompson thread and you will find them .
He is never wrong and when He is, he will try and spin his story in a different direction to try and bore and confuse you into submitting.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

C'mon Bucky... I am not about me...I am about countering what I believe to be grossly exaggerated and accepted "truths" that aren't really truths at all.

I do like Barfarn... he's articulate and well educated. He actually presents very well. You could learn many things from studying his posting style. You're 3 yards and a cloud of dust. He's a triple option statue of liberty flea flicker. I enjoy the variances in his style.

Of course, I will disagree, politely, with Barfarn. Stellar...yes, stellar. Now, I've created a "straw man"? I love that charge. LOVE it. I also love the word myopic. You do realize the author's title included the word STELLAR and then went to great lengths to try justifying it's use by using such incredible draft picks like Jason Spitz, Darryn Colledge, Brandon Jackson, Richard Rodgers and AJ Hawk as a 5th overall failure?

The perception is inaccurate of him. Go grade the drafts he's had in Green Bay yourself. I've asked multiple people to do just that. Go read the commentary below the article where several fans did just that. There is no question he's not stellar. It's a joke to call him "stellar".

TT's greatness cast upon him by throngs of small thinking fans revolves around one player...Aaron Rodgers. Deny it.

How many years does Ted Thompson get to draft defense before our D is even considered good? A stellar drafter drafting as much D as he has over the years surely should've fixed it by now? No? Why not, if the answer is no?

Yes, I do believe Ted Thompson should enter FA more than he does. I also think he should use trades. He failed to trade for Moss and Marshawn. Two trades that would've cost us little and that's not even mentioning Tony Gonzalez. He's made some major errors but he continually receives praise. I see his value in the UDFA mining and some late round guys. He's not been close to stellar up top.

Grade his drafts...show me he's stellar. Good luck.

I do appreciate some finally admitting he's not stellar. Finally, a moment of sanity.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
8 years ago

Get ready barn,

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

QCHuskerFan Posted:
Well written and thought out. But you're wasting time by using intelligence and logic in this discussion.

Thanks QC and Buck, I hear ya both...If the points in my post are evaded/ignored it's really not a discussion and there's no need to respond. If Uffda thinks he "won," good for him, we all do things to make us feel better about ourselves and we'll just agree to disagree. I cant control what he thinks, nor can any amount of reason and objectivity be used to get a person to move from a position subjectively attained.
uffda udfa
8 years ago
If you seriously want to talk "evaded points"...

Getting in bed with Buck? Wow. I guess Penn needs a Teller.

BTW, I have never felt better about myself for posting on a Packers board. What a cheap pathetic misguided shot.

Do you answer questions? No. How many stellar defensive picks over years does Ted Thompson need to build a D? A stellar drafter would've fixed it long ago, and it wouldn't have been broken in the first place had he been stellar...ever.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Bigbyfan
8 years ago
I wouldn't consider Ted Thompson "stellar." Ozzie Newsome is stellar when it comes to the draft. John Schneider is stellar when it comes to the draft. I would put Thompson on a rung below those GMs. He has failed to fix our defense for years and for that I cannot in good conscience consider him "stellar."

Udffa, this is just sheer curiosity on my part, which GMs do you have ranked ahead of Ted?
blank
nerdmann
8 years ago

I wouldn't consider Ted Thompson "stellar." Ozzie Newsome is stellar when it comes to the draft. John Schneider is stellar when it comes to the draft. I would put Thompson on a rung below those GMs. He has failed to fix our defense for years and for that I cannot in good conscience consider him "stellar."

Udffa, this is just sheer curiosity on my part, which GMs do you have ranked ahead of Ted?

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

Schnieder is ok. His team is overrated.

As we saw in the NFCCG.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
gbguy20
8 years ago
Another thread ruined by uffda
yooperfan
8 years ago

Another thread ruined by uffda

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I don't see that he has "ruined" any thread.
Just because he doesn't toe the company line on everything doesn't mean he doesn't give food for thought.
If everyone on this forum, or any other, just agreed on everything and posted the same thoughts over and over, there would be no sense coming to the forum much less participate.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (4h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.