uffda udfa
9 years ago

Another thread ruined by uffda

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I agree with yoop... completely. This thread has only been "ruined" because the cult like norm has been challenged and refuted which "ruins" your inaccurate perception of what you want to consider...truth.

Stellar? LMAO. Just LMAO.

Who is better? I haven't analyzed other GM's performances enough to type a truly informed reply so I'll refrain. What I have done is very closely monitored Ted Thompson over the years, and he's NOT stellar. Why does that truth make you so uncomfortable? The lie needs to be put to rest once and for all about him.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago
In all this Ted Thompson discussion some has been missed.

Barfarn you got me to thinking about it with one of your posts when you were talking about the usage of words.

Back in the olden days when newspapers were read on paper and large cities put out multiple editions each day there was a distinct segregation of duties. The newspaper man wrote the stores. He didn't write the banner or title or whatever you wish to call it. That was someone else's job. They were suppose to sensationalize the story. If they didn't why would you want to pay good money t buy the paper? The headline may not have anything to do with the article. The headline was only to get you to want to pick up the paper. Believe it or not news organizations where actually in the business to sell newspapers.

Tabloids have taken this to new heights these days.

I can not speak about the e editions of papers today. With staffs cut back and streamlined it is possible the author of the story also wrote the headline. Unless I missed it there is no mention of the word "stellar' in the story itself. Be that as it ma, the goal of the paper is still to get readership. If the author wrote the story as if he was a journalist from Chicago or Philadelphia there would not be many people reading his work. (Be it in print or electronic.)

Like it or not he wants uffa da responses. It actually creates an even larger viewership.

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
9 years ago

In all this Ted Thompson discussion some has been missed.

Barfarn you got me to thinking about it with one of your posts when you were talking about the usage of words.

Back in the olden days when newspapers were read on paper and large cities put out multiple editions each day there was a distinct segregation of duties. The newspaper man wrote the stores. He didn't write the banner or title or whatever you wish to call it. That was someone else's job. They were suppose to sensationalize the story. If they didn't why would you want to pay good money t buy the paper? The headline may not have anything to do with the article. The headline was only to get you to want to pick up the paper. Believe it or not news organizations where actually in the business to sell newspapers.

Tabloids have taken this to new heights these days.

I can not speak about the e editions of papers today. With staffs cut back and streamlined it is possible the author of the story also wrote the headline. Unless I missed it there is no mention of the word "stellar' in the story itself. Be that as it ma, the goal of the paper is still to get readership. If the author wrote the story as if he was a journalist from Chicago or Philadelphia there would not be many people reading his work. (Be it in print or electronic.)

Like it or not he wants uffa da responses. It actually creates an even larger viewership.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I worked closely with Jay Mariotti for awhile many years ago before his issues. He told me he didn't write his own headlines...that was the editor's call. However, before you get all bent out of shape... the writer clearly was doing his level best reaching to try and prove that "stellar" was something applicable to TT. Listing Colledge, Spitz, Brandon Jackson as reasons his drafts were successful when we all know those 3, in particular, are reasons they weren't, shows he's not that great and you have to stretch the truth to try and get to the fact he's been.

Yes, you want my response. I get it. The irony that is lost is that the story isn't true which creates the desired response by me. I get it. However, that means there are legions who simply don't get it. That would be those who willy nilly accept articles like this ones as truth. Those who love their ears tickled who spend little to no time doing any real thinking for themselves. IE: Packers win division year after year means our GM must be great.

I am just sad. At least I have a more creative insulter here now. Thank goodness for the Dakota's and Wade's of the world. They inspire me here.

EDIT: The word "stellar" doesn't appear in the story but there's this gem: And the biggest reason for Green Bay's continued success is Thompson's drafting prowess.----LMAO. Yes, that is why our D is so bad year after year. All those "hits" in the draft by TT. That "drafting prowess" is incredible ain't it? He got Aaron Rodgers who plays the most important and affective position on the field and that has masked his multiple failures year after year. He's so bad at drafting D we had two UDFA's starting at CB. Those who love Ted Thompson can never and won't be able to ever answer the question of why that is? It blows their ridiculous untrue thoughts of Ted Thompson out of the water so they won't go down that road. It's irrefutable so run run run away from that question and just continue thinking because we win division titles Ted Thompson must be great. So errant the thinking.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

uffda udfa
9 years ago
This is for gbguy20...

Dang straight! Ted Thompson is the best GM in football. Why do you think we win the division every year? Duh, we have the best GM in the game. Our team is going to win it all after another infusion of talent drafted by Ted Thompson here next week. I feel sorry for the Bears, Vikings and Lions...they don't have Ted Thompson and that is what separates us from the other teams in the division.

It's great resting easy just knowing Ted Thompson makes stellar decision after stellar decision. Sure, he's not perfect but he's still the best. I mean, look at our record under him. 67-28-1 and that includes a 4-12 season when he cleaned up Sherman's mess. Wow, what a job he's done. No question he's a HOF GM when he walks away whenever that is because we know he can write his own ticket in Green Bay.

I lived through the 70's and 80's...TT has brought us heaven on earth and I don't want to go back to how it was back then. Thank your lucky stars Ted Thompson is here. I know he takes a lot of unwarranted criticism from those who just don't get it and I really can't understand why. He's AWESOME.

The guy is just good. Pack in capable hands. SB's aplenty coming. Thanks, Ted.
UserPostedImage

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
9 years ago

I worked closely with Jay Mariotti for awhile many years

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

THAT EXPLAINS SO MUCH!!!!

However, before you get all bent out of shape...

I am not bent out of shape. I have been neither critical nor supportive of you and your stance in this post. I merely stated the headline may well not have been written by the writer you are so intent on bashing for using the word stellar.

the writer clearly was doing his level best reaching to try and prove that "stellar" was something applicable to TT.

I am shocked. Please tell me it isn't so. Please tell me he is not up for a Pulitzer for this article.

However, that means there are legions who simply don't get it. That would be those who willy nilly accept articles like this ones as truth. Those who love their ears tickled who spend little to no time doing any real thinking for themselves.

And appealing to the masses is how the writer eats every week. How shameful of him. His job is not to be a paragon of truth as you see truth. His job is to write stories that will sell his company's product to the people who live in the environs. The internet has expanded their reach of course. Back in the 80's I use to subscribe to the Packer News. Being in IL it was about the only way to get any information on GB even during the season. After 2-3 maybe 4 years I dropped my subscription. I was looking for a little more objective analysis. I knew they were not in the position to provide it. But I didn't stand on a soapbox and shout at them, "How dare they only say nice things about the team and organization!!" I knew that is what made them a profit. I have no problem with them doing so. I am free to read or not read their stories. Just as I am free to clink the hyperlink or not for both the Press Gazette and JSOnline. Already knowing the nature of the stories I usually choose not to do so.

And if the story is pro Packers I am not shocked or befuddled by that. I don't try and change the mind of 95% of the readers. Since you are bent and determined to do so, have fun. I have no intention of stopping you any more than I intend to read their soft stories.

IE: Packers win division year after year means our GM must be great.

If you go back and read my posts you will see I have not been totally enamored with Uncle Teddy. That said, he is well above the average GM overall and does a pretty good job in the draft. He is "stellar" (there I used the naughty word) when it comes to picking up UDFA but you can not build a championship team off of UDFAs and you miss on more than you succeed. I wish, I beg him to use his resources and acquire a higher quality FA every once in a great while. Lessor GM's fail to do a good job in this area but I think he could pull it off.

Edit- BTW, I have been supportive of your ideas and posts. Probably more so in your earlier days than now. More than likely because it grows tiresome to hear the bashing without offering some kind of a solution. It smacks of the - fill in the blank- political campaign. It is easy to say how horrible and evil the other guy is. But people stop listening when you don't offer a better solution. Your total failure to attempt to rate Uncle Teddy against the other GMs is just one example of this. You want to bash and complain but nothing more. Then you don't understand when no one asks to climb on your bandwagon.

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

Udffa, this is just sheer curiosity on my part, which GMs do you have ranked ahead of Ted?

Did you really expect an answer.

Uffda is all about throwing out his bullshit opinions, knowing if he is long winded enough, he will not have to validate them.

I see Ted Thompson in the top 5 in the league.

Since coming to Green Bay he has installed a record of stability, of winning, and most importantly, he has shown he will take care of HIS guys and will take a few chances on those who run into trouble.

Perfect example is Cobb and Bulaga.

They could have left for greener pastures(financially), but chose to stay in Green Bay.

Not many players will do that for their franchises.

Ted is Good.

Hell, Ted is Damn good.

If "steller" doesn't. Fit then Damn good, one of the best does.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
9 years ago
3rd reply...first two have been lost.

Who is better? That is not the question. The STATEMENT is... Ted Thompson is a STELLAR drafter. It is his DRAFT PROWESS that has kept us up top. Buck, Ted Thompson is your GM, and you don't even analyze him properly but you'd like me to do a proper analysis of the other 31 guys. Always wanting to go tangential. ALWAYS.

Mike Sherman was once lauded as HC of this franchise. His record mirrored Lombardi's and the fans were happy because we were winning... nobody cared to look too closely at anything because we won regular season games. Oddly, Sherman's teams failed in the playoffs just like TT's do, with one notable exception. Curious.

wpr...I am as tired of me posting about Ted Thompson as you are in reading. Sadly, the great fans just never tire of getting their ears tickled. Can't get enough of posting of his greatness when they don't even know what they're posting about.

What can we really judge Ted Thompson on besides his drafts and UDFA acquisitions? He does little else. He's good at one and okay at another. When you have to start two UDFA's at CB, you can't be that great of a drafter. Our ILB's over the years...joke. Safeties...joke. DL...joke. Yes, sounds like the markings of a stellar drafter.

Would you really honestly trust Ted Thompson to rebuild this team if Aaron just out of nowhere announced his retirement this offseason? He's such a great drafter we should be okay with that, right?

UserPostedImage

buckeyepackfan
9 years ago

Udffa, this is just sheer curiosity on my part, which GMs do you have ranked ahead of Ted?

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

Damn when I am right, I am right.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
9 years ago

Damn when I am right, I am right.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Ron Wolf. =p~

Yeah, and so am I...I ran out of fingers to keep track of how many questions you haven't answered in this thread.

UserPostedImage

Barfarn
9 years ago

If you seriously want to talk "evaded points"...

Getting in bed with Buck? Wow. I guess Penn needs a Teller.

BTW, I have never felt better about myself for posting on a Packers board. What a cheap pathetic misguided shot.

Do you answer questions? No. How many stellar defensive picks over years does Ted Thompson need to build a D? A stellar drafter would've fixed it long ago, and it wouldn't have been broken in the first place had he been stellar...ever.

Once my 2 grandmas were bickering about something silly and my dad leaned over and whispered to me, "Son, if I ever get like that, I'm depending on you to give me a good swift kick in my a$$." I would do the same for any Packer Fan...LOL

Being a Packer fan i listened intently to your "Jay Marriotti" style. Now out of love I tell you please, have some empathy [look that word up please] and understand how very difficult it is to listen to an irrational shrill Jerry-Springer-like hallucinatory bombastic egocentric tirade. The Marriottiite doesn't attempt fair discussion to attain a consensus or find commonality of opinion and fact to work toward a consensus. BTW, a consensus that may never be realized and two person agree to disagree like real adults. The Mariottiite seeks to loudly thrust opinions down throats and when one dissents he: namecalls; uses logical fallacies to respond; takes a potshots at spelling or grammar; and reassert their position by only screaming louder. The reality is the Marriottiite has self-esteem issues, he seeks and craves attention; but knows his positions cant be supported by reason and objectivity, so such things are avoided. BTW, our society has encapsulated all the foregoing words into one: "FLAMER!"

Now I dont have enough data yet to call you a Flamer; because at times we all flame to a more or lesser degree; heck so far someone might call this post a flame. If so I apologize. Flaming behavior should be ignored. i sifted through your words, made several comments and answered the one question posed and supported it with a few examples. This is called respect for the opinions of others. And you respond by directing me to self-educate by grading TT's drafts.

First grading drafts is stuff the mindlessly blathering Seattle fan does; why are they louder? Ever been to a Packer game? There's only so much noise a Packer fan can make when on 3rd and five she's tying to figure out if they're in single safety or cover 3 or checking to see who is in at dime w/ 2 TEs in the game. A 10 year old seeing the CB giving too much cushion on that 3rd and 5 and yells, "Capers press that #84." See, you cant yell cogent thoughts as words as loud as guttural noises; this is why Seattle Fans will always be louder than Packer fans. How does one compare a draft w/ one HOFer, and all busts; to one of 2 starters and 4 roleplayers and 1 bust due to injury; to one of 3 starters, 1 roleplayers and 3 busts that were character risks.

second, okay if I only mindlessly grade each draft, "dah, dat one is ahh B; ahhh, dah, dat one is ahh C" Okay now what? If everyone else has D's TT's is stellar; if everyone else has As then Ted Thompson blows. We are now more stupid from having the discussion.

See Bigby has got the idea...now he's totally wrong!...LOL [J/K Bigby, i can tell by your choices you're a person of wisdom]; but now we can have discussion and a mind may or may not be changed; but we'll all be smarter after the discussion! And Yooper is 100% right as well; who wants to sit around and agree. I'll bet some of your disagreements can truly enlighten and provoke thought.

If you wish to discuss; we'll discuss. If you flame; now you'll know why you're ignored by me.

And your comment on R. Rodgers????? The guy is a stud, what could possbily be your objection? Are you trying to validate w/out any objective analysis of his play and trajectory your claim that he was a reach? A Reach because Mel Kiper said so? [Just guessing here] In 2015 and 16 RR will be more 10X valuable than Jimmy Graham and I'd even take RR heads up of JG if both were making the same $$$.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (3h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (19h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (19h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders