Zero2Cool
8 years ago

A thread or topic is only ruined if you (the posters) let that happen. You and only you decide where the direction goes. If you choose to participate in the alleged "ruining", you have no right whatsoever to point fingers. The second you say something is ruined, you have become part of the problem rather that choosing to be part of the solution. 

Think about it, how can someone ruin a thread if they are simply ignored by those who wish to see through the potential of a good topic? Think about that before you start pointing fingers at someone, or this "place". 

As for this specific topic, yes, Ted Thompson is very good at drafting, but one could argue that Mike McCarthy and staff are stellar at developing. It's the old which came first, the egg or the chicken.

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago
I will go Nostradamus for a minute...

When, or if, Ted Thompson ever does build a respectable defense it will be shouted from the rooftops here and elsewhere what a great drafter and GM he is. All the years of total failure will be completely unacknowledged. It will only be said...look at what Ted Thompson did. It won't matter that it took 5+ years.

Another aspect of Ted Thompson that goes under thought about is the fact that we don't bring guys in from other teams. So, our draft picks have to play. Who else is going to? So, if we put a bunch of middling talent draft choices on the field because that's one of the only means we use that validates him as a great drafter? Of course our roster is going to be filled with Ted Thompson draft choices it's about the only store he shops at. Does that mean he's a great drafter or is he just a guy who has little other choice due to his personal preferences?

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

texaspackerbacker
8 years ago

A. The article was about TT's skill in the draft, and had nothing to do with free agency or his overall ability as a GM. The "but he doesn't go after FA's" argument doesn't have any relevance in this context.

B. The "without Aaron Rodgers..." trope is a tired logical fallacy. If you take away every GM's best pick/franchise QB, they look a lot worse. Do you think Belichick gets to 5 superbowls without Brady? How many does SF win without Montana? We can play the what if game all day, but the truth is nobody knows.

Before I get the stock "But everyone knew Rodgers was going to be a HOF QB, it was an easy pick" rebutal, spare yourself the trouble. You know this is a logical fallacy as well. Had every team known Rodgers was going to be as good as he is, one of the 23 teams ahead of the Packers in the draft would have picked him. No team passes on a surefire franchise QB in the draft. So why wasn't Rodgers picked sooner? It's simple, with hindsight, of course the pick was obviously the right choice, but GMs across the league have to make educated guesses, they don't get the benefit of hindsight that armchair fantasy GM's
do while retrospectively grading drafts.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Correct, nothing to do with inactivity in signing other teams' free agents, also nothing to do with the good job he has done with UDFAs. It's all about Ted's drafting, and I say again, other than Aaron Rodgers - a pick that, as I said, could be looked at either way: a super smart move OR an obvious choice after the Luck of Rodgers falling that far, other than that pick which MADE Ted's reputation, his drafting has been pretty mediocre. Of course, there have hits along the way - Clay Matthews being a notable one - just as virtually all GMs have had, but there have been way too many misses also along with a LOT of picks that arguably were as good as they were BECAUSE of Aaron Rodgers.

What was your "B" again? Oh yeah, you were saying it's "a tired logical fallacy" the "minus Aaron Rodgers" thing? I would have to disagree with you there. The examples you cited, as well as a LOT of others, GMs did a lot more to build a team around the superstar - and some did not. I would suggest Ted is comparable to the Indianapolis GM who had Peyton Manning - no maximization with him, and totally going in the toilet when they lost him.

As I said, my biggest gripe about Ted Thompson is that he has NOT maximized things. Rather than compare Ted to either the "good" GMs around the league or the "bad" ones, I will assert that pretty much ALL of them are what they are by LUCK. Your average mock drafter - be it a professional journalist or just some forum fool - could do as well, and the real GMs have a lot more resources available. For better or worse, it's still mostly a crap shoot, though. Ted has kept us in the hunt for all these years - I give him credit for that- but he hasn't given us the dynasty that a GM blessed with Aaron Rodgers NEEDS to produce to be considered Great or Stellar.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
sschind
8 years ago

I will go Nostradamus for a minute...

When, or if, Ted Thompson ever does build a respectable defense it will be shouted from the rooftops here and elsewhere what a great drafter and GM he is. All the years of total failure will be completely unacknowledged. It will only be said...look at what Ted Thompson did. It won't matter that it took 5+ years.

Another aspect of Ted Thompson that goes under thought about is the fact that we don't bring guys in from other teams. So, our draft picks have to play. Who else is going to? So, if we put a bunch of middling talent draft choices on the field because that's one of the only means we use that validates him as a great drafter? Of course our roster is going to be filled with Ted Thompson draft choices it's about the only store he shops at. Does that mean he's a great drafter or is he just a guy who has little other choice due to his personal preferences?

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

That doesn't sound like a Nostradamus prediction at all, didn't he write in four line rhymes and crap like that.

You make a good point about Packer draftees who become regular contributors. If the only guys on your team are guys that you drafted and someone has to start it stands to reason that a fair share of your draftees are going to become regular contributors if not great players. Opposed to say bringing in an equal quality FA who takes the position instead of your draftee. A FA that plays solidly for you for 8 years adds to your prowess as a GM but does nothing for your draftness. It may even hurt if the FA ends up taking the roster spot of a draftee. A draftee that does the same will not only add to your overall GMness but it will improve your draftness. (I made up those new words just for this thread. Feel free to take them, use them and make them your own.)

As a possible refute of this claim I would suggest that you look at the number of Packers draftees that go on to become regular contributors elsewhere. I say possible refute because I do not have the time or the desire to go through and figure that out. It may not even turn out to be true, I'm just saying that if I wanted to refute this claim that is where I would start. Of course you would have to look at all the other teams draftees that went on to have solid careers with other teams and that if far beyond my ability or desire.

uffda udfa
8 years ago

That doesn't sound like a Nostradamus prediction at all, didn't he write in four line rhymes and crap like that.

You make a good point about Packer draftees who become regular contributors. If the only guys on your team are guys that you drafted and someone has to start it stands to reason that a fair share of your draftees are going to become regular contributors if not great players. Opposed to say bringing in an equal quality FA who takes the position instead of your draftee. A FA that plays solidly for you for 8 years adds to your prowess as a GM but does nothing for your draftness. It may even hurt if the FA ends up taking the roster spot of a draftee. A draftee that does the same will not only add to your overall GMness but it will improve your draftness. (I made up those new words just for this thread. Feel free to take them, use them and make them your own.)

As a possible refute of this claim I would suggest that you look at the number of Packers draftees that go on to become regular contributors elsewhere. I say possible refute because I do not have the time or the desire to go through and figure that out. It may not even turn out to be true, I'm just saying that if I wanted to refute this claim that is where I would start. Of course you would have to look at all the other teams draftees that went on to have solid careers with other teams and that if far beyond my ability or desire.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I get what you're saying...I would say that it's not relevant how many Packer draftees go on to play elsewhere. This is one of the counters I've seen to the argument that Ted Thompson isn't an effective drafter. It's like this is the checkmate stone cold proof he can draft. Hardly. It's as ridiculous as thinking he's great in the first place to cite this as a reason.

Brandon Jackson went elsewhere, Colledge went elsewhere, Alex Green went elsewhere, Jason Spitz, AJ Hawk, heck, even Derek Sherrod...even guys who never played a down for us have gone other places. That doesn't mean they were good draft choices at all. When you factor what round they were taken in and how ineffective they were that factors as well especially the rounds the guys I listed were taken in...all within the first 3. All of them were not impact players. Yes, Hawk has a longevity record but he was largely ineffective especially in light of his expected return as a 5th overall.

The more you really get into this the more you'll see. I've looked and studied his moves quite a bit over the years. Something clearly not done by a lot of his supporters who just look at our regular season record.

As Texas implied...it's almost shameful how poor our total team is considering who QB's it. We should be totally dominant if he could draft very well and use FA effectively...two things he just doesn't do despite fans thinking he does one so well. If my report card was an aggregate of a grade between my drafting an my use of FA...I would get a decent grade like a C+ average with something close to a ZERO or incomplete bringing my grade down. If he doesn't use FA and isn't a total A with his drafting I'm not sure how he's a stellar GM over and above just looking at him as a drafter.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

gbguy20
8 years ago

Two good GM picks Bigby; But IMHO neither is as good as TT:

Ozzie-Is a great drafter and provides a nice 10 year comparative data base and ON is the only guy who surpasses Ted Thompson on Comp Picks. Balt’s average draft position is slightly lower than Pack; but it is negligible [about ½ spot per yr] and in the last 10 years each team has picked in front of the other 5 times.

Each drafted two studs: Ngata/Yanda to CM3/AR

But, last year Mosely’s pro bowl ended a 5 year drought for Ozzie, not one player from drafts 2009-2013 made one. Overall Qzzie’s picks have had 6 different players named to PB 17 times; Ted Thompson 9 players; 20 times. Ozzie has drafted 30 different guys that became primary starters for 97 seasons and Ted Thompson 34 for 98. [All #’s from Profootball-reference].

All in all pretty close! Despite the #’s, which I believe give Ted Thompson as light edge, if it’s eventually decided ON is the best and Ted Thompson is right there; then by definition Ted Thompson is “STELLAR!”

I have only one criticism of ON’s drafting and that is he doesn’t devalue a player enough over character risks. He obviously assumes Harbaugh and the vets will keep them in line.

Schneider, admittedly from 2010-2014 has overall drafted better than TT. BUT: (1) he’s been drafting much higher than Ted Thompson on average; and (2) JS left GB right before 2010 draft. 99.9% of JS’s knowledge of 2010 draftable players came from the work of Ted Thompson and his scouting dept. In 2011, probably 60-75% of JS’s knowledge of players came from GB and maybe 20-30% in 2012. Once we adjust for draft position and JS scouting players w/o TT’s help, it is clear Ted Thompson is the better drafter; though in fairness the sample size is small and we really don’t fully know how some of these guys drafted in 2013-14 will turn out.

I dont think JS will last long term like ON and TT. I could not believe he stated [trying to justify that insane trade to NO] that he only has 16 players ranked w/ a 1st round grade. It is stupid to reveal details of a drafter’s most prized possession [His Board]; this and other run of the mouth behaviors show JS has some serious psychological issues. Moreover, he’s a degenerate gambler GM like Baalke.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

lets not ignore this post
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
We have to ignore it because of all those dang abbreviation with initials. BRB, gotta get some Aspirin! haha
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.