Zero2Cool
8 years ago

The media isn't the one who votes...it is his fellow GM's.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Classic example of someone worrying about what they are going to say, rather than comprehending what they are responding to. Boring.

To my understanding, it is not just his fellow GM's, it is NFL players, coaches and executives that are polled. If it was done by statistics, you would bitch and whine about that too. You've basically stuck your thumbs in your ears and started shouting nonsense over and over again when it comes to Ted Thompson. The guy could lead the Packers to back to back Super Bowl wins and you'd degrade both wins by saying he only got the wins because of Aaron Rodgers. Because somehow the mans first ever draft choice for the Packers doesn't matter a damn bit.

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Classic example of someone worrying about what they are going to say, rather than comprehending what they are responding to. Boring.

To my understanding, it is not just his fellow GM's, it is NFL players, coaches and executives that are polled. If it was done by statistics, you would bitch and whine about that too. You've basically stuck your thumbs in your ears and started shouting nonsense over and over again when it comes to Ted Thompson. The guy could lead the Packers to back to back Super Bowl wins and you'd degrade both wins by saying he only got the wins because of Aaron Rodgers. Because somehow the mans first ever draft choice for the Packers doesn't matter a damn bit.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

You're absolutely right. That is some truth in those last two sentences. Don't worry...he can't field a D to get us there. Yes, he is brilliant for taking a guy touted as a 1st overall when his current QB was waffling about quitting. That is genius. Plus, it also served his end to put an end to Mike Sherman knowing he wouldn't be seeing the field. I'm sure Mike Sherman just loved knowing our 1st rounder was a guy who wasn't going to see the field all year. I do love the question of why nobody else took him before us. Did any of you actually watch the draft that year? I watched it all the way through...all rounds. It was common knowledge once he got out of the beginning of the draft the next likely team to take him was us...we did. What a genius. If Mariota falls down to us, in a few days, I hope he doesn't pass because we're set at QB. Wouldn't he just be a genius if he took him if he fell that far?

EDIT: NO MEDIA VOTES for EXEC OF THE YEAR

ABOUT THE AWARDS

Sporting News polled more than 800 NFL players, coaches and executives for our 2012 awards. Everyone voted for offensive and defensive player of the year, rookie of the year and comeback player of the year. Only coaches and executives voted for coach of the year, coordinator of the year, executive of the year and SN’s All-Pro team
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

uffda udfa
8 years ago
BTW, the Executive of the Year the year after Ted Thompson won it in 2011? Ryan freaking Grigson of the Colts...the guy who traded a 1st round pick for Trent Richardson the following year. He must be better than TT, he won a popularity contest more recently than Ted Thompson and must've let the award go to his head to make the Richardson deal.

The year he won the award? Oh, he drafted Andrew Luck after the team sucked for luck kinda like Ted Thompson sucked to blow out Sherman. What a doozy of a pick...he took Andrew Luck 1st overall. Genius like TT. I'm sure Colts fans are still praising him for his brilliance and have overlooked his move for Richardson because they win the division now.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
8 years ago

EDIT: NO MEDIA VOTES for EXEC OF THE YEAR

ABOUT THE AWARDS

Sporting News polled more than 800 NFL players, coaches and executives for our 2012 awards. Everyone voted for offensive and defensive player of the year, rookie of the year and comeback player of the year. Only coaches and executives voted for coach of the year, coordinator of the year, executive of the year and SN’s All-Pro team

Who said the media is the one voting? Do you not understand I was using the media as an example of how he is not popular? I said I knew the media didn't vote and yet you come back with more of this same crap. Can you be anymore obtuse? You don't want to discuss this, you want to read what you type, period.

It is false to think that Ted Thompson is winning any award, (regardless of who the hell votes) based on his perceived popularity. If you want to degrade such an award, it would be more wise to say he is winning the awards because of familiarity due to his length on the job. I couldn't care less about the awards one way or another, but you don't win multiple times for being average.

Edit, before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I split this out of the Goodson thread because ... that thread is about Goodson, not the validity of Ted Thompson. Feel free to modify the title as you wish.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

Yeah, like trading for Brett Favre, a guy who was a total joke in Atlanta...it was riskier than a team offering a 1 for Manziel this off season. Or...maybe, offering Reggie White the richest contract in the history of the league. Favre's career ends with zero rings if not for the huge FA splash Ron made with guys like White, Jones, Dotson, Rison, etc.

Oh, how I miss having a GM with the swagger and brashness of Ron Wolf. Org had a totally different feel back then that I prefer so much more to what we have now.

They both acquires QBs, and more importantly both also had coaches who would develop them, without which neither of them would have been jack shit.

As for defense, one of the first moves Ted made was signing Pickett. Shortly thereafter, he signed a FA you might have heard of named Charles Woodson. DPOY. Then there's also guys like Nick Collins, Clay Matthews, just to name a couple.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
8 years ago

They both acquires QBs, and more importantly both also had coaches who would develop them, without which neither of them would have been jack shit.

As for defense, one of the first moves Ted made was signing Pickett. Shortly thereafter, he signed a FA you might have heard of named Charles Woodson. DPOY. Then there's also guys like Nick Collins, Clay Matthews, just to name a couple.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I'm aware of TT's FA moves...who isn't? They're as rare as a Buck apology. Don't get too crazy about Pickett...a nice player. Woodson? Excellent move...only made because nobody else wanted him but Tampa who wanted him to play safety. EVERYONE wanted Reggie White. Ted Thompson has NEVER ever made a move with the Packers where we acquired a highly sought after FA that was playing for another team...NEVER. Wolf did and it changed the course of our franchise resulting in back to back SB appearances.
Ted Thompson went and signed Julius to try and recreate the Reggie thing...went horribly poor man's on that and Peppers played well for us...not Reggie good but pretty good. It wasn't like there was a huge market for a soon to be 35 year old declining DE with questionable heart. Plus, Ted Thompson tried to position switch a guy who never played the position in his NFL career. Ted Thompson is no Wolf. I miss Ron Wolf. Wolf was a terrible 1st round drafter, also. He fixed that by trading and using FA. A facet Ted Thompson leaves underutilized especially with the rare talent we have at QB. Go for it, TT...for crying out loud...your legacy is going to be one SB appearance with the greatest QB of all time.
UserPostedImage

uffda udfa
8 years ago
Obtuse? Man, I wish you'd never seen Shawshank.

You claimed Ted Thompson wasn't popular and then cited the media as a reason why he wasn't. What does what the media think of him have to do with his popularity among his peers? I'm obtuse, here?
UserPostedImage

musccy
8 years ago

I'm sure Mike Sherman just loved knowing our 1st rounder was a guy who wasn't going to see the field all year. I do love the question of why nobody else took him before us. Did any of you actually watch the draft that year? I watched it all the way through...all rounds. It was common knowledge once he got out of the beginning of the draft the next likely team to take him was us...we did. What a genius.
[/h]

If it was such a no-brainer move for Ted, then Wikipedia the 2005 draft and see how many teams picking in front of the Packers have had a legitimate franchise QB in the last decade. The Redskins, Bucs, Bears, Vikes, Browns, Raiders, Texans, and Jaguars are among the teams who selected before the Packers. Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, and Kyle Boller did Aaron Rodgers no favors. "Wasting" a 1st round on Favre's replacement and ultimately showing him the door was much more conscientious than you're acknowledging.

I'm not trying to anoint Ted as some deity, but it stuns me how persistently you discredit someone for making moves that benefited the franchise.

Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Obtuse? Man, I wish you'd never seen Shawshank.

You claimed Ted Thompson wasn't popular and then cited the media as a reason why he wasn't. What does what the media think of him have to do with his popularity among his peers? I'm obtuse, here?

Ted Thompson is not winning awards based on his perceived popularity. I used the media as an example of this. What part of this do you not understand? Wait, what is a word for being slow to understand something? Gosh, I think I will fire up Netflix and watch a few movies and see if a word comes to mind!
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
8 years ago

I'm aware of TT's FA moves...who isn't? They're as rare as a Buck apology. Don't get too crazy about Pickett...a nice player. Woodson? Excellent move...only made because nobody else wanted him but Tampa who wanted him to play safety. EVERYONE wanted Reggie White. Ted Thompson has NEVER ever made a move with the Packers where we acquired a highly sought after FA that was playing for another team...NEVER. Wolf did and it changed the course of our franchise resulting in back to back SB appearances.

Ted Thompson went and signed Julius to try and recreate the Reggie thing...went horribly poor man's on that and Peppers played well for us...not Reggie good but pretty good. It wasn't like there was a huge market for a soon to be 35 year old declining DE with questionable heart. Plus, Ted Thompson tried to position switch a guy who never played the position in his NFL career. Ted Thompson is no Wolf. I miss Ron Wolf. Wolf was a terrible 1st round drafter, also. He fixed that by trading and using FA. A facet Ted Thompson leaves underutilized especially with the rare talent we have at QB. Go for it, TT...for crying out loud...your legacy is going to be one SB appearance with the greatest QB of all time.

Who's the closest to Reggie White in the game today? I figure that'd be Ndamokung Suh, looking at age and production. Let's say Favre and Rodgers are comparable in this scenario.

This year might've worked, but next years cap hit would've been $48 million between the two of them. That's one third of the entire cap. Then factor in signings like Dotson, Jones, Rison, Robinson et cetera and it's clear that this team just couldn't be build that way in today's NFL.

Wolf was a good GM, got us a Super Bowl and made some amazing moves in FA, but I feel like Thompson is just as good. They build their teams in a different way, but I don't think you can say that either is better than the other one.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.