Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Demetri Goodson as a starter on one of the most important positions on our D?

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Cornerback is one of the most important positions on defense? I'm interested in how you come to this conclusion. I've always felt Defensive line was the most important, followed by linebackers.

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Scott Tolzien wants to be our starter, go ahead and freak out again.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Uh, I kinda like Scotty... but what a ridiculous thing to type.

Just curious...how are you during games? I don't freak out then, either.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

buckeyepackfan
8 years ago
n Tramon signed with The Browns, I distinctly remember someone posting how the CB position immediately got better and more physical.

Addition by subtraction.

Goodson must have figured into that equation.

The guy has seen what it takes to make the starting lineup and the money That goes with that.

I bet he comes into camp READY and motivated.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
8 years ago

Scott Tolzien wants to be our starter, go ahead and freak out again.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

Tolzien wants to earn a shot at getting traded into a situation where he has a chance to start.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
8 years ago

n Tramon signed with The Browns, I distinctly remember someone posting how the CB position immediately got better and more physical.

Addition by subtraction.

Goodson must have figured into that equation.

The guy has seen what it takes to make the starting lineup and the money That goes with that.

I bet he comes into camp READY and motivated.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Tramon Williams departure or reupping has zero bearing on my thoughts regarding Demetri Goodson. He's a player who shouldn't even be on our roster but our GM valued draft status over performance.

I'm glad weak tackling Williams is gone. A great move letting him walk but that, again, has no bearing on my feelings on Goodson.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

buckeyepackfan
8 years ago

Tramon Williams departure or reupping has zero bearing on my thoughts regarding Demetri Goodson. He's a player who shouldn't even be on our roster but our GM valued draft status over performance.

I'm glad weak tackling Williams is gone. A great move letting him walk but that, again, has no bearing on my feelings on Goodson.

Stop with your BS.
Had the roles been reversed and Goods on was the one plucked off the PS, you would be bitching about how Ted Thompson wasted a pick.

Any chance you get!

RIDICULOUS!

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Barfarn
8 years ago

Demetri Goodson as a starter on one of the most important positions on our D? That's laughable. EVERYONE who follows this team closely knows he didn't deserve his spot over Jumal Rolle and was only retained due to draft status.

TT, in favor of an inferior player, cut and then failed to give Rolle a roster spot [knowing 3 CBs were becoming UFA] ONLY because of draft status? Is this a simple Ted Thompson flame or do you have any objective support for believing Rolle deserved a roster spot.

GB had Rolle in camp for 2 years and correctly realized he peaked or was close to peaking short of being an NFL CB, that's why he was cut and not stashed on roster.

uffda udfa
8 years ago

TT, in favor of an inferior player, cut and then failed to give Rolle a roster spot [knowing 3 CBs were becoming UFA] ONLY because of draft status? Is this a simple Ted Thompson flame or do you have any objective support for believing Rolle deserved a roster spot.

GB had Rolle in camp for 2 years and correctly realized he peaked or was close to peaking short of being an NFL CB, that's why he was cut and not stashed on roster.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I can only look at the results. Rolle performed quite well as an NFL CB with another franchise. Goodson was not very good for us. I understand the upside argument, but why is it so hard to think his draft status had everything to do with him sticking and Rolle leaving? That never happens in the NFL? Sherrod stuck around how many years due to draft status? A lot of guys stick due to draft status...you would really deny that?

UserPostedImage

texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
Demetri Goodson being retained because of his draft status? Goodson being a flop and not having as good a career as Jumal Rolle? Maybe ........ Could Be. I'm optimistic enough to think it might not be that way also. We'll See, I guess.

Just as a technicality, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't retaining Goodson and letting Rolle go be more a McCarthy decision than a Ted Thompson one?
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Barfarn
8 years ago

I can only look at the results. Rolle performed quite well as an NFL CB with another franchise. Goodson was not very good for us. I understand the upside argument, but why is it so hard to think his draft status had everything to do with him sticking and Rolle leaving? That never happens in the NFL? Sherrod stuck around how many years due to draft status? A lot of guys stick due to draft status...you would really deny that?

First, this is another strawman! The issue raised was Rolle was kept over a lesser equally paid ONLY because of his draft status. But, Sherrod wasn’t kept due to his draft status; he was kept for cap and [1st rnd] potential reasons. Another name for the GM that keeps the worse player only because of draft status is unemployed.

Second, Rolle stunk w/ HTN. INTs are not an important stat for a CB; often it’s a negative indicator of performance. The perfect CB is 100% statless; because coverage is so tight, no one even throws his way. Rolle played 4 games, 9-12, got 3 picks and then is benched the last 4 games. BENCHED! He wasn't even allowed to play in dime w/ Andre Hal out [a guy clearly ahead of him on D. Chart]. QB passer rating v. Rolle was 90; which is unbelievable high w/ 3INTs in so few snaps. When Rolle didn’t intercept, QBs had 147.5 rating throwing his way. And the QBs that Rolle was trying to get enshrined in Canton were Sanchez, Hoyer, Dalton and Mettenbeger/Locker. Fact is Rolle stunk against some pretty bad QBs and that is why he was BENCHED and why today Rolle sits #7 on the Texans CB depth chart. Unless multiple injuries occur or he becomes Htn's Jerrat Bush, Rolle will be cut.

If Ted Thompson wants Rolle back he can get him for a 7th in a heartbeat; but Ted Thompson won’t give up a pick for Rolle because he’ll be available when he’s cut.

Third, if you watch the film and compare Rolle to Goodson you’ll see Goodson is simply better at mirroring receivers; this is the most critical CB skill. In the 3rd PS game both Rolle and Goodson got 1 target v. James Jones. Both played press man: JJ separated 3 yards from Rolle on a slant for 9 yards; JJ got no separation from Goodson 25 yards downfield and Goodson knocked the ball away. Goodson had trouble dealing with push offs and locating the ball in the air; but those skills can easily be developed. The CB’s ability to mirror a WR’s movements is largely dependent on qualities/skills that cant be coached.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (14h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.