Porforis
8 years ago
Sometimes it's as if people only watch Packers games and are unaware of the problems other teams have. The only team that has been a reliable super bowl threat every year for the last 6 years besides the Packers are the Patriots.

Also funny to see people complain about the 2011 Packers as if they had the worst defense ever. 2008 wasn't THAT far back.
Barfarn
8 years ago

Yeah, like trading for Brett Favre, a guy who was a total joke in Atlanta...it was riskier than a team offering a 1 for Manziel this off season. Or...maybe, offering Reggie White the richest contract in the history of the league. Favre's career ends with zero rings if not for the huge FA splash Ron made with guys like White, Jones, Dotson, Rison, etc.

Oh, how I miss having a GM with the swagger and brashness of Ron Wolf. Org had a totally different feel back then that I prefer so much more to what we have now.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

In another thread several implored you to compare Ted Thompson to a real live actual GM. Buckeye [AKA Nostradomus, LOL] correctly predicted in his Quatrainuffda #784 that you would evade.

The hate demonstrated for Ted Thompson is 100% irrational. Objective support for this hate cannot be found by comparing Ted Thompson to his contemporaries, so Ted Thompson is nonsensically compare to a GM outside of the salary cap era. The Cap [began in '94] had minimal affect on Wolf's roster decisions and those minimal effects manifested no earlier than 98-99. Wolf built his team w/o constraints of the cap; bonus money of contracts signed before Dec. '93 was exempt from the Cap [And both Favre and White signed long contracts in 93]; in 94 Wolf had zero dead money to deal with and minimal amounts over the next few years; the cap went up 50% in first 5 years and doubled by 8th year [TT has never enjoyed Cap leaps anywhere near this amount]; Wolf didn't have to pay as much for FAs [there was more collusion and most agents were "trained" in this collusive environment and were just beginning to learn how to max deals for their clients; EG it would have been impossible for House to get 4.3% of a team's cap given his injury and playing history]; etc.

-Wolf would have NEVER traded a 1st round pick for Graham.
-Wolf would NEVER paid 6% of his cap for Graham.
-Wolf would have never traded a team leader and top 3 center; especially having terrible players as BUs and cause 2.2M in dead money for Graham.
But Schneider gave up all 3-if this isn't the dumbest trade in football history, it's in the top 10 and the other 9 send it Christmas cards.

Here's what having a degenerate gambling GM will do:
SEATTLE DEAD MONEY:
2014: 19.9M [Bryant, Clemons Farwell, Carpenter [reneg], Rice, Miller[reneg], Harvin]
2015: 10.9M [Harvin, Unger , Miller]
Ted Thompson dead money 2014-15: $5M.

If Schneider had to pay Wilson his worth; Seattle misses playoff in 2014, the purge is even greater in 2015 and he's run out of town by an angry mob carrying pitchforks and torches.

PS: There is no comparison between '92 Favre, who'd run through a brick wall for his team or any teammate and the self-entitled me first pissant 2014 Manzell...NONE!
uffda udfa
8 years ago

In another thread several implored you to compare Ted Thompson to a real live actual GM. Buckeye [AKA Nostradomus, LOL] correctly predicted in his Quatrainuffda #784 that you would evade.

The hate demonstrated for Ted Thompson is 100% irrational. Objective support for this hate cannot be found by comparing Ted Thompson to his contemporaries, so Ted Thompson is nonsensically compare to a GM outside of the salary cap era. The Cap [began in '94] had minimal affect on Wolf's roster decisions and those minimal effects manifested no earlier than 98-99. Wolf built his team w/o constraints of the cap; bonus money of contracts signed before Dec. '93 was exempt from the Cap [And both Favre and White signed long contracts in 93]; in 94 Wolf had zero dead money to deal with and minimal amounts over the next few years; the cap went up 50% in first 5 years and doubled by 8th year [TT has never enjoyed Cap leaps anywhere near this amount]; Wolf didn't have to pay as much for FAs [there was more collusion and most agents were "trained" in this collusive environment and were just beginning to learn how to max deals for their clients; EG it would have been impossible for House to get 4.3% of a team's cap given his injury and playing history]; etc.

-Wolf would have NEVER traded a 1st round pick for Graham.
-Wolf would NEVER paid 6% of his cap for Graham.
-Wolf would have never traded a team leader and top 3 center; especially having terrible players as BUs and cause 2.2M in dead money for Graham.
But Schneider gave up all 3-if this isn't the dumbest trade in football history, it's in the top 10 and the other 9 send it Christmas cards.

Here's what having a degenerate gambling GM will do:
SEATTLE DEAD MONEY:
2014: 19.9M [Bryant, Clemons Farwell, Carpenter [reneg], Rice, Miller[reneg], Harvin]
2015: 10.9M [Harvin, Unger , Miller]

Ted Thompson dead money 2014-15: $5M.

If Schneider had to pay Wilson his worth; Seattle misses playoff in 2014, the purge is even greater in 2015 and he's run out of town by an angry mob carrying pitchforks and torches.

PS: There is no comparison between '92 Favre, who'd run through a brick wall for his team or any teammate and the self-entitled me first pissant 2014 Manzell...NONE!

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I'm glad you know what Ron wouldn't have done... he traded a high pick for Keith freaking Jackson. Nah, he would've never traded for Graham and rolled with Andrew Quarless or Richard Rodgers from the draft?
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

sschind
8 years ago

Yeah, like trading for Brett Favre, a guy who was a total joke in Atlanta...it was riskier than a team offering a 1 for Manziel this off season. Or...maybe, offering Reggie White the richest contract in the history of the league. Favre's career ends with zero rings if not for the huge FA splash Ron made with guys like White, Jones, Dotson, Rison, etc.

Oh, how I miss having a GM with the swagger and brashness of Ron Wolf. Org had a totally different feel back then that I prefer so much more to what we have now.

I doubt Favre's performance in Atlanta had any influence on Wolf at all. He was going to get Favre no matter what and no matter where he was. Wolf wanted Favre in the draft and Atlanta took him before the Jets had a chance to. RW had done his research on Favre and knew that he liked what he saw and liked it a lot. If RW hadn't become the Packers GM Favre would have been in New York 17 years sooner.

DoddPower
8 years ago

I'm glad you know what Ron wouldn't have done... he traded a high pick for Keith freaking Jackson. Nah, he would've never traded for Graham and rolled with Andrew Quarless or Richard Rodgers from the draft?

The Jimmy Graham argument is lame. The offense is fine. Now, if one wants to make an argument about being aggressive to get another superstar or two on defense, I'm all about it. Give the Packers a top five defense and you would be looking at another championship, imo. I would like to think if the Packers had a top five defense again that McCarthy would be even more aggressive with the offense, which I think would pay dividends.

Just fix the defense and the Packers are easily a top-three team, if not the best in the NFL. They are already easily a top ten team, and likely better than that.
Barfarn
8 years ago

First, Wolf traded a 2nd rounder not a first. A team drafting 1 over 2 will get a player 38% better [if 2002 and 2006 are representative of the marginal difference between 1st and 2nd players].

Second, Jackson's contracts used about 2.5% of the cap not over 6% [He was less than half price of Graham.

Third, this is a different era; signing Jackson cost Wolf no players; signing Graham cost Seattle 25% of their legion of boom [Maxell].

Fourth, and most important Graham sucks and Jackson was great. If all condemns were Grahams there’d 62 Billion people in the world and a lot more VD; Jackson was a devastating blocker and receiver...a complete TE. If Jackson was in this no-holding era playing for Brees; he catch 3000 yards/ season until he was triple covered every play. Oh and did I mention Graham couldn't block Keith's grandma. Graham is a nice receiver; but not a difference maker. The NO offense averaged slightly more yards per play the 2 yrs before Graham v. the 5 years Graham has been there and when Graham misses a game there is no appreciable downturn in the O.

On top of that Little Jimmy got his big contract, he’s now very very very very special. Last year, Graham gets warned b4 a game if you spike it's a 15 yrd penalty... He spikes it, boom 15 yards. Later in the SAME game, what does he do? Ya spikes it again...LOL...30 yards in penalties against his team so little childish jimmy could do his TD celebration...too bad he doesn't work as hard on his blocking as TD celebrations. Now do ya think that tool works like a real man or a little kiddie in the film room? Peyton wanted him OUT! Saints were hoping to get a 4th for Graham and prayed for a 3rd; but they spotted a desperate buyer; and took not only a 1st; but got a top 3 Center in the game. Unbelievable!!!

Wolf would so much as trade a pubic hair from his left nut for Graham.
sschind
8 years ago

Ted Thompson is not winning awards based on his perceived popularity. I use the media as an example that is not popular. What part of this do you not understand? Wait, what is a word for being slow to understand something? Gosh, I think I will fire up Netflix and watch a few movies and see if a word comes to mind!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Watch some of the old Simpsons episodes. You might find a way to work embiggen and cromulent into some of your posts. Craptacular would work too but I think nerd might monopolize that one.

Oh, and who could forget "senseless dunderpate" That might fit a few people around here.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Mar 29, 1995
Dolphins trade Keith Jackson to Green Bay

Packers got : TE Keith Jackson AND Dolphins 4th round selection (117th overall?)
Dolphins got: Packers 2nd round selection (53rd overall?)

If the Packers has used up their 1st round on Jimmy Graham, they wouldn't have had Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix and most likely would not have used their 3rd round selection on TE Richard Rodgers
http://www.packershome.com/Packers/Draft 
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

Third, this is a different era; signing Jackson cost Wolf no players; signing Graham cost Seattle 25% of their legion of boom [Maxell].

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Exactly. When Reggie came here, there wasn't a salary cap like there is today.

Ted takes a much more conservative approach for a reason. The game changes, just as the rules on the field now favor the passing attack, the salary cap favors a conservative approach.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
8 years ago

I'm aware of TT's FA moves...who isn't? They're as rare as a Buck apology. Don't get too crazy about Pickett...a nice player. Woodson? Excellent move...only made because nobody else wanted him but Tampa who wanted him to play safety. EVERYONE wanted Reggie White. Ted Thompson has NEVER ever made a move with the Packers where we acquired a highly sought after FA that was playing for another team...NEVER. Wolf did and it changed the course of our franchise resulting in back to back SB appearances.

Ted Thompson went and signed Julius to try and recreate the Reggie thing...went horribly poor man's on that and Peppers played well for us...not Reggie good but pretty good. It wasn't like there was a huge market for a soon to be 35 year old declining DE with questionable heart. Plus, Ted Thompson tried to position switch a guy who never played the position in his NFL career. Ted Thompson is no Wolf. I miss Ron Wolf. Wolf was a terrible 1st round drafter, also. He fixed that by trading and using FA. A facet Ted Thompson leaves underutilized especially with the rare talent we have at QB. Go for it, TT...for crying out loud...your legacy is going to be one SB appearance with the greatest QB of all time.

Iirc Ted was locked and loaded on Marshawn, but the price changed at the last minute. Arguably Randy Moss too, although I don't think Ted would have actually gone there.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.