Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Read what I said more carefully.

I never said that Ted didn't take risks. I didn't even say he didn't take big risks. What I said was that he doesn't take big risks when it comes to veteran free agents. Not like Wolf did.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

What risks did Ron Wolf take? I'm having brain farts here. Reggie White, while Wolf had nothing to lose because the Packers were garbage for two or so decades prior. So you take a big swing. Keith Jackson trade, but Reggie gave assurance to Wolf that he could get Jackson to suit up.

Desmond Howard was not a risk. He was on his last hope and when he ran back a punt against I believe the Steelers, that locked down #22 for the roster. Maybe I'm not understanding what the definition of risk is. [Hey, uffa dafa(sp?), know a movie I can watch to help me out?]

The more I look into the details of Wolf and Ted Thompson, the more I think Thompson is equal if not more riskier than Wolf.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
8 years ago

Without Reggie, Brett ends his career with no SB appearances. Thank GOD our GM at the time realized we needed to go for it with our special QB. Thank GOD he could actually build a defense. Had he just hoped for a comp pick who might be good 3 years later our Favre years would've ended with no SB appearances. Thank GOD Ted Thompson was NOT our GM during a huge chunk of the Favre years. He would've completely wasted him...thankfully, for TT, Aaron is better than Brett and is able to overcome his lack of going for it almost singlehandedly.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Did you actually read my post or did you just think, "hey, someone said something, better have yet another piss and a moan about Ted Thompson"?

I said I don't think there's been another free agent with White's pedigree. Clearly, that would indicate I'm happy Wolf made the move.

The rest was simply a statement that free agent players carry some risk with them. So do draft picks. So what does that have to do with Ted Thompson?
Born and bred a cheesehead
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Did you actually read my post or did you just think, "hey, someone said something, better have yet another piss and a moan about Ted Thompson"?

I said I don't think there's been another free agent with White's pedigree. Clearly, that would indicate I'm happy Wolf made the move.

The rest was simply a statement that free agent players carry some risk with them. So do draft picks. So what does that have to do with Ted Thompson?

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

Both. :signarg:

I'm simply comparing approaches. Reggie white was a monumental signing. Biggest of the big...sent waves through the NFL that little Green Bay was serious about winning a Super Bowl. Now, think over the 10 years and tell me one single time Ted Thompson made a move even near similar. Some will think Woodson or Peppers is similar but neither is remotely close to what Ron did with Reggie. That is one of the big reasons I don't like Ted Thompson all that much. He doesn't try to maximize what he has RIGHT NOW...he operates with 5 years in mind first. I understand having a vision for the future but to miss what is happening right now worried about 5 years from now is foolish. Spend your time thinking of how to get the Packers to the post game podium ceremony at the SuperBowl...not what some 4th round comp pick might mean to you in 3 years. Sure, the latter is important, just Ted Thompson prioritizes things incorrectly. He wants a competitive team...not a dominant one. Just a completely different mindset from RW and what I think is proper. It appears we have a large segment of fans here who are worried more about 5 years from now than they are how the Packers are going to do this season and you are the Ted Thompson fans.

EDIT: Ted Thompson does risk as much as RW but in the sense of being stupid relying on young guys to fill voids that he could fill by using FA. He hopes a guy will develop vs. Ron who saw a hole and filled it. Ted Thompson loves rolling into seasons with tons of question marks. Makes him look smarter if it works out.

It is hilarious to me that we have a JSO piece linked on the front page about TT's draft day trades. Curiously, that wasn't created as a topic with another tireless line about how great Ted Thompson is from a poster, here. Why was that not done? If you look at his draft day trades...pretty abysmal...really abysmal, actually. Of course, Clay Matthews! Clay Matthews! Go look at the rest. I love that he got DJ Williams at TE instead of Julius Thomas. It fits right in with NOBODY deciding to actually grade each Ted Thompson draft individually. That wasn't done because your contention that he was a stellar drafter goes up in smoke by the weight of evidence against that crazy statement. Those who look at him and study him objectively know he's not anywhere near worthy of the accolades he receives.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DoddPower
8 years ago

I'm simply comparing approaches. Reggie white was a monumental signing. Biggest of the big...sent waves through the NFL that little Green Bay was serious about winning a Super Bowl. Now, think over the 10 years and tell me one single time Ted Thompson made a move even near similar. Some will think Woodson or Peppers is similar but neither is remotely close to what Ron did with Reggie. That is one of the big reasons I don't like Ted Thompson all that much. He doesn't try to maximize what he has RIGHT NOW...he operates with 5 years in mind first. I understand having a vision for the future but to miss what is happening right now worried about 5 years from now is foolish. Spend your time thinking of how to get the Packers to the post game podium ceremony at the SuperBowl...not what some 4th round comp pick might mean to you in 3 years. Sure, the latter is important, just Ted Thompson prioritizes things incorrectly. He wants a competitive team...not a dominant one. Just a completely different mindset from RW and what I think is proper. It appears we have a large segment of fans here who are worried more about 5 years from now than they are how the Packers are going to do this season and you are the Ted Thompson fans.

EDIT: Ted Thompson does risk as much as RW but in the sense of being stupid relying on young guys to fill voids that he could fill by using FA. He hopes a guy will develop vs. Ron who saw a hole and filled it. Ted Thompson loves rolling into seasons with tons of question marks. Makes him look smarter if it works out.

It is hilarious to me that we have a JSO piece linked on the front page about TT's draft day trades. Curiously, that wasn't created as a topic with another tireless line about how great Ted Thompson is from a poster, here. Why was that not done? If you look at his draft day trades...pretty abysmal...really abysmal, actually. Of course, Clay Matthews! Clay Matthews! Go look at the rest. I love that he got DJ Williams at TE instead of Julius Thomas. It fits right in with NOBODY deciding to actually grade each Ted Thompson draft individually. That wasn't done because your contention that he was a stellar drafter goes up in smoke by the weight of evidence against that crazy statement. Those who look at him and study him objectively know he's not anywhere near worthy of the accolades he receives.

Ted Thompson's approach is fine. He doesn't need to rely on outside free agents anymore than he already does. Not at all. All he has to do is draft better. It's that simple, although obviously drafting better is far from easy or simple. If Ted Thompson would have hit on a few more draft picks, recent Packers teams could have been totally different. One or two good players can make all the difference in the world. I think Ted Thompson can find another couple of players in this draft and along with the development of other young players, I expect the Packers to be as good as they were (which I think was good enough to win the Super Bowl), or better. Just having Aaron Rodgers more healthy in the playoffs makes the Packers better.

From my perspective, relying almost exclusively on the draft is a MUCH bigger risk than signing outside free agents. Any general manager can throw lots of money at a big-name player. The negative ramifications of that are usually two years down the road, or more and additional players can always be brought in. Finding star players in the draft is incredibly difficult when picking late in every round.

As Wade said, obviously Ted doesn't take many risks in free agency, but he does take some risks in that regard, and he takes massive risks with his reliance on the draft. It takes balls of steel or ignorance to do that. Ted Thompson is clearly confident in his ability, and for good reason. He's pretty damn good at it. If he can snag a couple more very good players in this upcoming draft that can contribute this year, I expect the Packers to win the Super Bowl this season or next, pending health (as always).
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Ted Thompson's approach is fine. He doesn't need to rely on outside free agents anymore than he already does. Not at all. All he has to do is draft better. It's that simple, although obviously drafting better is far from easy or simple. If Ted Thompson would have hit on a few more draft picks, recent Packers teams could have been totally different. One or two good players can make all the difference in the world. I think Ted Thompson can find another couple of players in this draft and along with the development of other young players, I expect the Packers to be as good as they were (which I think was good enough to win the Super Bowl), or better. Just having Aaron Rodgers more healthy in the playoffs makes the Packers better.

From my perspective, relying almost exclusively on the draft is a MUCH bigger risk than signing outside free agents. Any general manager can throw lots of money at a big-name player. The negative ramifications of that are usually two years down the road, or more and additional players can always be brought in. Finding star players in the draft is incredibly difficult when picking late in every round.

As Wade said, obviously Ted doesn't take many risks in free agency, but he does take some risks in that regard, and he takes massive risks with his reliance on the draft. It takes balls of steel or ignorance to do that. Ted Thompson is clearly confident in his ability, and for good reason. He's pretty damn good at it. If he can snag a couple more very good players in this upcoming draft that can contribute this year, I expect the Packers to win the Super Bowl this season or next, pending health (as always).

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I was about to hit the "applaud" button until I got halfway through your final paragraph.

He is not good nor is he d*mn good... why is our defense not good after years of picks and even a FA dumped into it? He's NOT a good drafter. He's good at finding WR talent. That's about the extent of it. Recently, he's hit on some OL which has been helpful as he'd been terrible at finding them for years. When you can't draft difference makers on D you need to go get them. Ron knew that and did...TT knows that and doesn't.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Somehow Dom Capers gets a free pass after how many first round flops?
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Somehow Dom Capers gets a free pass after how many first round flops?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Why is Dom still here? Ted Thompson decided to extend Mike McCarthy knowing Dom was his guy. That falls on the GM and nobody else.

UserPostedImage

Bigbyfan
8 years ago

Why is Dom still here? Ted Thompson decided to extend Mike McCarthy knowing Dom was his guy. That falls on the GM and nobody else.

Using that logic, this must all be Mark Murphy's fault. He gave Thompson an extension, who gave McCarthy an extension knowing Dom is his guy. Must be Murphy's fault and nobody else.

Your stubbornness when it comes to blaming Thompson for everything is amazing.
blank
nerdmann
8 years ago

Ron Wolf HAD to be bold in pursuit of REggie White. Given the over all decades long culture of losing, combined with the weather and what happened to James Lofton, NO black players in the league wanted to come to Green Bay, if they didn't have to.

Wolf knew he had to change that. It wasn't just about "boldly" going after players.

Ted didn't have that challenge. His challenge was taking the team back from the QB who thought it was his place to run the franchise.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Using that logic, this must all be Mark Murphy's fault. He gave Thompson an extension, who gave McCarthy an extension knowing Dom is his guy. Must be Murphy's fault and nobody else.

Your stubbornness when it comes to blaming Thompson for everything is amazing.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

You took this a bit too far. Murphy should've moved on from Ted Thompson and our new GM should've moved on from MM.

However, since Ted Thompson was retained it was HIS call to extend MM. He chose to do so knowing Dom was his D. coord and all the failures on that side of the ball over the years. If Ted Thompson had such an issue with our ineffective defense, he could've brought in a new coaching staff. He didn't.

Your ability to NEVER blame Ted Thompson for ANYTHING amazes me.

UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (2h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (23h) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.