greengold
8 years ago

Don't ya think that the fact NOBODY has graded TT's drafts is a pretty telltale sign he's not a great drafter?

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

No, I think it means you have proposed a very time consuming, low benefit, and probably impossible proposition that isn't going to change anyone's mind anyway. I'm not in that line of work. I don't have access to his draft board. I don't know what he knew or should have known about a player before that player was selected.

Have you graded them? Oh, wait. I'm sure you have. They all SUCK. In every case the obvious no brainer pick fell in his lap, or he struck out. Therefore he sucks as a drafter.

uffda udfa
8 years ago

No, I think it means you have proposed a very time consuming, low benefit, and probably impossible proposition that isn't going to change anyone's mind anyway. I'm not in that line of work. I don't have access to his draft board. I don't know what he knew or should have known about a player before that player was selected.

Have you graded them? Oh, wait. I'm sure you have. They all SUCK. In every case the obvious no brainer pick fell in his lap, or he struck out. Therefore he sucks as a drafter.

Originally Posted by: greengold 

No...most of them are no better than average. Some worse...a couple better.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

greengold
8 years ago

As Tom Petty once said...Don't do me like that. Of course, any fan of team wants their team to be better. That is not a very good comeback. I'm speaking to OUR defense. It's not been good enough. Do you think our D would've fared better than Seattle's in the SB? I don't. Rodgers on one leg this time around vs. a New England team we narrowly escaped at home the first time around? D wasn't and isn't good enough...we all know that. To take Russell Wilson's legendary awful first half and use that as validation our D was good enough isn't fair. We were fortunate Russell sucked that bad...nobody had ever been that bad in an NFC Championship game in the 1st half and our D still couldn't win the game for us by getting torched at the end of regulation and OT. If our D was actually good perhaps we stop them in regulation and win it there? Or...at least get the ball back to our O in OT. Neither happened. We lost. How does a team lose to a team whose QB played the worst 1st half of football in NFL history in an NFC Championship game? Doesn't speak well of the defense that you keep saying WAS good enough. I don't think it was. I know it wasn't.

Well, you keep repeating it, so it must be true. Russell sucked that bad. Green Bay's defense had nothing to do with that. Russell Wilson just decided to play poorly that day.

And now the criteria for "good enough" defense is "able to win the Superbowl without our starting QB" ?? Name a defense that is that good.

uffda udfa
8 years ago

Yeah, it's incredibly difficult to wade through his repetitive incoherent rants. I often find myself just scrolling past his posts until I get to all the other posters here that usually make a little sense. Not all of them though!

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Incoherent? LOL. That is rich. There is nothing incoherent about being asked to grade TT's drafts if you're saying he's a great drafter.

What is incoherent is saying Ted Thompson is a great drafter and not providing a single ounce of proof that he is.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

greengold
8 years ago

No...most of them are no better than average. Some worse...a couple better.

Awesome, sounds like a lot of work! Could you post the results, along with naming the 10-15 teams who had a better draft each year it was no better than average? I promise to read your analysis with an open mind.

DakotaT
8 years ago
This topic is pretty interesting. I remember what our team was like at the end of the Sherminator's reign of stupidity. We were in cap hell, absolutely no depth anywhere throughout the lineup, and very marginal starters at key positions. But for some reason, our 10-6 record beating the weak sisters of the league and eeking out a divisional championship was good enough for some Packers fans. Ted Thompson pretty much righted that ship and has built a pretty solid team that competes for the playoffs every year. Fans of other teams would trade places with us every day of the year.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago

This topic is pretty interesting. I remember what our team was like at the end of the Sherminator's reign of stupidity. We were in cap hell, absolutely no depth anywhere throughout the lineup, and very marginal starters at key positions. But for some reason, our 10-6 record beating the weak sisters of the league and eeking out a divisional championship was good enough for some Packers fans. Ted Thompson pretty much righted that ship and has built a pretty solid team that competes for the playoffs every year. Fans of other teams would trade places with us every day of the year.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

That I agree with, DT. I believe they'd trade with us because we have Aaron Rodgers and they don't. Not that we have Ted Thompson and they don't.

UserPostedImage

musccy
8 years ago

I remember what our team was like at the end of the Sherminator's reign of stupidity. We were in cap hell, absolutely no depth anywhere throughout the lineup, and very marginal starters at key positions. But for some reason, our 10-6 record beating the weak sisters of the league and eeking out a divisional championship was good enough for some Packers fans. Ted Thompson pretty much righted that ship and has built a pretty solid team that competes for the playoffs every year. Fans of other teams would trade places with us every day of the year.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

The Broncos went for broke last year in FA and regressed. The Saints tried to buy away their safety issues and all it got them was about 8ish million in useless cap space for the 2014 season.

This team, and defense has holes just like any franchise. That said, they're not hedging all bets on Hardly Nickerson, Joe Johnson, or Albert Haynesworth. They generally have the depth to overcome unforeseen setbacks which isn't by accident.

uffda udfa
8 years ago

Awesome, sounds like a lot of work! Could you post the results, along with naming the 10-15 teams who had a better draft each year it was no better than average? I promise to read your analysis with an open mind.

Originally Posted by: greengold 

Here's two from the comments section on the article that claimed Ted Thompson was "stellar"... Take a look and judge for yourself:

benvandehey
TT's Draft Grades: B, D, D-, B+, B, A-, D+, C, B, D
= a C average

2005: Value Grade: B
1st round: Rodgers - A GIFT
2nd round: Collins - Great
2nd round: miss
4th round: miss
4th round: Poppinga - ok
5th round: miss
6th round: Montgomery - ok
6th round: miss
7th round: miss

2006 Value Grade: D
Top 5 pick: miss
2nd round: Greg Jennings - Good
3rd round: miss
6th round: Johnny Jolly - Good

2007 Value Grade: D-
Top 16 pick: miss
3rd round: J.Jones - OK
6th round: Bishop - ok
6th round: Crosby - Very Good

2008 Value Grade: B+
2nd round: Jordy - Great
3rd round: Finley - good
4th round: Sitton - Great
7th round: Flynn - good
7th round: Swain - ok

2009 Value Grade: B
Top 9 Pick: Raji - ok
1st round: Clay - Great
4th round: Lang - Good
6th round: Wynn - ok
7th round: Brad - Good

Another view on TT:

Deepsky
@benvandehey

2005 A+. I bet you can't find another draft in history where a team got a potential HOF safety and a franchise QB in the same draft. For instance, in 2000 when the Patriots lucked into Brady, no other player became a perennial starter.

2006 B No matter how you slice and dice Hawk, he was a Pro Bowler, which makes 2 Pro Bowlers and 2 solid starters

2007 C Three starters

2008 B Two Pro Bowlers and Finley was on his way to becoming one when he was injured

2009 B Two Pro Bowlers, two starters

SCHNEIDER LEAVES FOR SEAHAWKS BEFORE 2010 DRAFT

2010 C+ Four starters

2011 C One Pro Bowler

2012 C Two starters, possibly one more

2013 B+ So far one Pro Bowler, 4 starters

2014 B Jury is still out, but it looks like a good draft with
up to 4 starters

---I don't see a stellar drafter above. Do you?

A little above average just like I've been saying. Barely ever uses FA so can't grade him on that. He's good with UDFA's who turn into decent players. No superstars. We think because he doesn't add gamechangers and can find middling players off the street that that makes him great? No. He's cheap and uses the dollar store to fill out the roster.

So, to recap...not a great drafter...not great at using FA...good at UDFA acquisition. Sounds like a little above average to me. Not sure how you see it any other way.
UserPostedImage

uffda udfa
8 years ago
Green Bay Packers

Year No. Round Pick Player Name Position College

2014 1 1 21 21 Ha Ha Clinton-Dix DB Alabama
2 2 21 53 Davante Adams WR Fresno State
3 3 21 85 Khyri Thornton DT Southern Mississippi
4 3 34 98 Richard Rodgers TE California
5 4 21 121 Carl Bradford LB Arizona State
6 5 21 161 Corey Linsley C Ohio State
7 5 36 176 Jared Abbrederis WR Wisconsin
8 6 21 197 Demetri Goodson DB Baylor
9 7 21 236 Jeff Janis WR Saginaw Valley State

2013 1 1 26 26 Datone Jones DE UCLA
2 2 29 61 Eddie Lacy RB Alabama
3 4 12 109 David Bakhtiari T Colorado
4 4 25 122 J.C. Tretter T Cornell
5 4 28 125 Johnathan Franklin RB UCLA
6 5 26 159 Micah Hyde DB Iowa
7 5 34 167 Josh Boyd DE Mississippi State
8 6 25 193 Nate Palmer LB Illinois State
9 7 10 216 Charles Johnson WR Grand Valley State
10 7 18 224 Kevin Dorsey WR Maryland
11 7 26 232 Sam Barrington LB South Florida

2012 1 1 28 28 Nick Perry DE USC
2 2 19 51 Jerel Worthy DT Michigan State
3 2 30 62 Casey Hayward DB Vanderbilt
4 4 37 132 Mike Daniels DT Iowa
5 4 38 133 Jeron McMillian DB Maine
6 5 28 163 Terrell Manning LB North Carolina State
7 7 34 241 Andrew Datko T Florida State
8 7 36 243 B.J. Coleman QB Tennessee-Chattanooga

2011 1 1 32 32 Derek Sherrod T Mississippi State
2 2 32 64 Randall Cobb WR Kentucky
3 3 32 96 Alex Green RB Hawaii
4 4 34 131 Davon House DB New Mexico State
5 5 10 141 D.J. Williams TE Arkansas
6 6 14 179 Caleb Schlauderaff G Utah
7 6 21 186 D.J. Smith LB Appalachian State
8 6 32 197 Ricky Elmore DE Arizona
9 7 15 218 Ryan Taylor TE North Carolina
10 7 30 233 Lawrence Guy DT Arizona State

2010 1 1 23 23 Bryan Bulaga T Iowa
2 2 24 56 Michael Neal DT Purdue
3 3 7 71 Morgan Burnett DB Georgia Tech
4 5 23 154 Andrew Quarless TE Penn State
5 5 38 169 Marshall Newhouse G Texas Christian
6 6 24 193 James Stark RB Buffalo
7 7 23 230 C.J. Wilson DE East Carolina

2009 1 1 9 9 B.J. Raji DT Boston College
2 1 26 26 Clay Matthews LB USC
3 4 9 109 T.J. Lang T Eastern Michigan
4 5 9 145 Quinn Johnson RB Louisiana State
5 5 26 162 Jamon Meredith T South Carolina
6 6 9 182 Jarius Wynn DE Georgia
7 6 14 187 Brandon Underwood DB Cincinnati
8 7 9 218 Brad Jones LB Colorado

2008 1 2 5 36 Jordy Nelson WR Kansas State
2 2 25 56 Brian Brohm QB Louisville
3 2 29 60 Patrick Lee DB Auburn
4 3 28 91 Jermichael Finley TE Texas
5 4 3 102 Jeremy Thompson DE Wake Forest
6 4 36 135 Josh Sitton T Central Florida
7 5 15 150 Breno Giacomini T Louisville
8 7 2 209 Matt Flynn QB Louisiana State
9 7 10 217 Brett Swain WR San Diego State

2007 1 1 16 16 Justin Harrell DT Tennessee
2 2 31 63 Brandon Jackson RB Nebraska
3 3 14 78 James Jones WR San Jose State
4 3 26 89 Aaron Rouse DB Virginia Tech
5 4 20 119 Allen Barbre T Missouri Southern State
6 5 20 157 David Clowney WR Virginia Tech
7 6 17 191 Korey Hall LB Boise State
8 6 18 192 Desmond Bishop LB California
9 6 19 193 Mason Crosby K Colorado
10 7 18 228 DeShawn Wynn RB Florida
11 7 33 243 Clark Harris TE Rutgers

2006 1 1 5 5 A.J. Hawk LB Ohio State
2 2 15 47 Daryn Colledge T Boise State
3 2 20 52 Greg Jennings WR Western Michigan
4 3 3 67 Abdul Hodge LB Iowa
5 3 11 75 Jason Spitz C Louisville
6 4 7 104 Cory Rodgers WR Texas Christian
7 4 18 115 Will Blackmon WR Boston College
8 5 15 148 Ingle Martin QB Furman
9 5 33 165 Tony Moll T Nevada
10 6 14 183 Johnny Jolly DT Texas A&M
11 6 16 185 Tyrone Culver DB Fresno State
12 7 45 253 Dave Tollefson DE Northwest Missouri State

2005 1 1 24 24 Aaron Rodgers QB California
2 2 19 51 Nick Collins DB Bethune-Cookman
3 2 26 58 Terrence Murphy WR Texas A&M
4 4 14 115 Marviel Underwood DB San Diego State
5 4 24 125 Brady Poppinga LB Brigham Young
6 5 7 143 Junius Coston C North Carolina A&T
7 5 31 167 Michael Hawkins DB Oklahoma
8 6 6 180 Mike Montgomery DT Texas A&M
9 6 21 195 Craig Bragg WR UCLA
10 7 31 245 Kurt Campbell DB Albany State
11 7 32 246 William Whitticker G Michigan State
UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (33m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.