Zero2Cool
8 years ago
LMAO, love it. Instead of grading himself, he copies the work of someone else!!

What merits an A grade?
UserPostedImage
Smokey
8 years ago

What merits an A grade?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

EGGS !!

😂

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago

LMAO, love it. Instead of grading himself, he copies the work of someone else!!

What merits an A grade?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Do you know why I did that? I would be charged with my anti-TT bias. You wouldn't respect what I have to say because you don't on what I've said about TT. Anything I say about him is going to be written off due to the messenger. It doesn't matter how true and correct it is.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

musccy
8 years ago
Who cares about grading individual drafts? If I'm interviewing a new employee out of college, I don't care about their Calc 2 grade, I care about the sum of the parts and overall skills. Is Sam Shields reflected in this?

uffda udfa
8 years ago

Who cares about grading individual drafts? If I'm interviewing a new employee out of college, I don't care about their Calc 2 grade, I care about the sum of the parts and overall skills. Is Sam Shields reflected in this?

Originally Posted by: musccy 

Of course you don't care...it's not very impressive. It's nowhere near stellar. He's not that good. Never has been. BTW, you only voiced your objection to his draft grades once you actually looked. So much easier to not look and say he's great isn't it? I asked someone to do this several times and nary a mention that it didn't matter until you saw it. That's classic.

No, let's dub Ted Thompson a stellar drafter and write posts extolling his virtues as a drafter and hammer the guy who says he isn't and then when his draft grades over the years roll in we'll just dismiss that because it really really hurts our argument that Ted Thompson is something special.

Matt Millen could take this Packers team to a divisional title with Aaron Rodgers. Ted Thompson does nothing special other than do a very good job finding street players. I applaud him for that. Overall, he's a slight above average bean counting GM who cares more about 5 years from now than next season. Enjoy the 2015 season knowing your GM is more concerned with 2020.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

uffda udfa
8 years ago
Just had to share this because it epitomizes what I feel I deal with here as shown by a very bright poster trying to fend off a Ted Thompson minion...it's just beautiful to read. (from my perspective)

old66
@benvandehey
But Ted Thompson did draft him after so many others passed on him.. What you say is something like if we got rid of all the rainy days in Wisconsin we would be a desert.

benvandehey
@old66
No. What I am saying is: "if it wasn't for that freak storm of the century, we would have had about average rainfall for the last 10 years."

---Nailed it. Perfecto. benvandehey is my kinda guy. Logic. It is hard for some.
UserPostedImage

greengold
8 years ago

---I don't see a stellar drafter above. Do you?

A little above average just like I've been saying. Barely ever uses FA so can't grade him on that. He's good with UDFA's who turn into decent players. No superstars. We think because he doesn't add gamechangers and can find middling players off the street that that makes him great? No. He's cheap and uses the dollar store to fill out the roster.

So, to recap...not a great drafter...not great at using FA...good at UDFA acquisition. Sounds like a little above average to me. Not sure how you see it any other way.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I was hoping to see your grades as well. One point- there is a HUGE divide in my mind between "stellar" and "a little above average." Stellar implies #1 or #2 every year. Or ZERO misses. Something no GM does.

A little above average implies drafting worse than 10-15 GMs most years. I have a feeling, no I can't prove it, that there aren't 10 or 15 GMs who consistently outdraft Ted.

I also, maybe I'm too generous, lump the UDFAs in when I look at a draft class. Those are guys he identifed and recruited. I think a big part of drafting is knowing who you have to spend a draft pick on and who you don't. Does the 2010 draft look better if you call Shields a 7th rounder?

Finally, I promised to read your analysis with an open mind. I haven't seen your analysis. But that first guy you quoted with just the first 5 drafts doesn't look to have put a lot of thought into it. I.E. calling the first 2 picks in 2006 "miss." Those guys played in the NFL for 9 years. He gives them a "miss," same grade he gave a guy that got cut during the first training camp.

uffda udfa
8 years ago

I was hoping to see your grades as well. One point- there is a HUGE divide in my mind between "stellar" and "a little above average." Stellar implies #1 or #2 every year. Or ZERO misses. Something no GM does.

A little above average implies drafting worse than 10-15 GMs most years. I have a feeling, no I can't prove it, that there aren't 10 or 15 GMs who consistently outdraft Ted.

I also, maybe I'm too generous, lump the UDFAs in when I look at a draft class. Those are guys he identifed and recruited. I think a big part of drafting is knowing who you have to spend a draft pick on and who you don't. Does the 2010 draft look better if you call Shields a 7th rounder?

Finally, I promised to read your analysis with an open mind. I haven't seen your analysis. But that first guy you quoted with just the first 5 drafts doesn't look to have put a lot of thought into it. I.E. calling the first 2 picks in 2006 "miss." Those guys played in the NFL for 9 years. He gives them a "miss," same grade he gave a guy that got cut during the first training camp.

Originally Posted by: greengold 

AJ Hawk for where he was drafted was a miss. The author of that puff piece even acknowledged Hawk never lived up to his promise. I would call that a miss. Same with Colledge. Never a good player. A tick below average Olineman. Yes, he got money from AZ but Erik Walden got money from Indy. If Hawk and Colledge are your building blocks your house is going to crumble. Had Hawk and Colledge been 5th and 6th rounders they're still just decent picks...not great players.

Oh, I forgot to reemphasize Ted Thompson has been good at drafting WR's...that and UDFA's like Tramon and Sammy are his strengths.

UserPostedImage

musccy
8 years ago
do we grade Aaron on his scrambling ability or look at the total package to determine his value as a qb? I never said Ted was/n't a great drafter, I just said subjective draft grades don't tell us much of anything.

As greenngold just wrote, draft grades ignore the udfas which are a part of a draft process and as I alluded to with my Aaron Rodgers analogy, however well you or some interent analyst grade his past drafts are meaningless...what is the total body of work with cap management, the draft, udfa, retention, free agency, etc?
mi_keys
8 years ago
I didn't realize posting the opinions of obscure internet personalities constituted objective analysis.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (3h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (23h) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
52m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.