uffda udfa
8 years ago

Copying someone else is just being lazy and shows you do not have conviction in what you say and are doing so just out of spite, not actual belief.

The mistake was the Packers waited until the market set his value to offer him a deal. If they had offered the same deal earlier, he would have most likely signed it, but once he was scorned, there was no deal the Packers could offer that he would have signed. This is how the Packers operate and he even acknowledged he knew as such after the season concluded. Jenkins was also turning 30 and missed seventeen games during his last three seasons with the Packers.

The piece the defense missed most was Nick Collins, not Jenkins. However, it is easier to fault Ted Thompson for Jenkins than it is for Collins, thus Jenkins is inappropriately used as a tool to fuel hate.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

No...ain't lazy at all. That is what you do all the time here. Linking articles could be called lazy unless you've built a point around it. I have said repeatedly if you grade his drafts he is not close to stellar. I've assessed his drafts which is why I've asked others to do so. Have you? If you have you better not be writing how wonderful he is at drafting because he isn't. My conviction is a lot stronger than yours and based on a lot more than what you base yours off of. I've looked...you haven't. I didn't see you running to prove my statement wrong...just a throng of posters here telling ME how I don't answer questions. LOL. Right, it's me who avoids subjects around here.

That's how the Packers operate? Oh, you mean like with Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews?

Nick Collins was part of the horrible 2011 D...yes, only for a little while but if you look at what happened with him on the field the first and 2nd game he wasn't much of a help. The guy had all world athleticism but he is way overhyped here. I liked Collins... made some highlight reel plays and LeRoy Butler loved what he could do on the field...he just didn't do it consistently enough. To me, he's almost like the Ted Thompson version of a player. Memories of him are a little off. He was a 3 time Pro Bowler in his 7 seasons but never made the first team in all pro voting in his career. Not once. He's hardly the legend some have made him out to be. It seems how he was remembered here is not how he was viewed externally. Like TT, that is a case of overvaluing your own but given what we've seen from that position over the years it's little wonder Nick is a bit misremembered.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Cullen Jenkins was no Clay Matthews or Aaron Rodgers. I can't believe I actually had to say that.

No...ain't lazy at all. That is what you do all the time here. Linking articles could be called lazy unless you've built a point around it. I have said repeatedly if you grade his drafts he is not close to stellar. I've assessed his drafts which is why I've asked others to do so. Have you? If you have you better not be writing how wonderful he is at drafting because he isn't. My conviction is a lot stronger than yours and based on a lot more than what you base yours off of. I've looked...you haven't. I didn't see you running to prove my statement wrong...just a throng of posters here telling ME how I don't answer questions. LOL. Right, it's me who avoids subjects around here.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Again, you're putting words in the mouths of others. Please stop that. I am asking you to write up a detailed post explaining why you feel so strongly against Ted Thompson. Why is this so hard to understand? I have clearly implied my interest on more than one occasion. Do it for me. I never said the things you attribute to me and it hurts having someone constantly attacking me like this. I have reached out my hand for you several times now and you continue to spit on it and slap it away. You call me lazy? Those close to me know how ignorant of a statement that is, and comical. You can't debate so you want to make this personal, against me? I guess was wrong about you and maybe it is time you find somewhere else to post.

UserPostedImage
musccy
8 years ago

The mistake was the Packers waited until the market set his value to offer him a deal. If they had offered the same deal earlier, he would have most likely signed it, but once he was scorned, there was no deal the Packers could offer that he would have signed. This is how the Packers operate and he even acknowledged he knew as such after the season concluded. Jenkins was also turning 30 and missed seventeen games during his last three seasons with the Packers.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

As Ufda noted, I don't think it's accurate to say Jenkins typifies how Ted handles in house FAs. It's tough to tell as outsiders if House, Jenkins, or Tramon were offered contracts prior to hitting the market. Raji and Greg were reported to have been offered good deals in-season before they wound up staying/leaving for less/similar money. ARod, Jordy, and Clay all obviously were handled a lot earlier. It could have just been a longer negotiation process.

You raise good points about Jenkins, though, with his injuries and age and I still feel that it hurt the Packers that one year. That said, Cullen wasn't the only reason for the defense struggling the past few years.
mi_keys
8 years ago
Uffda,

You keep spouting how you've looked into his drafting record and how your opinion is based on so much more than most, if not all of us. You've never actually laid it out though. "Trust me, I've done the research" is not a compelling argument. Neither is quoting two random opinions from the comments section of a JSO article (even if those two opinions are more clearly explained than yours has been in stating which players they liked or didn't like).

You're the one claiming to be a subject matter expert, to have an insight none of us are privy to. Those words are hollow until you decide to actually back them up.
Born and bred a cheesehead
nerdmann
8 years ago

Uffda,

You keep spouting how you've looked into his drafting record and how your opinion is based on so much more than most, if not all of us. You've never actually laid it out though. "Trust me, I've done the research" is not a compelling argument. Neither is quoting two random opinions from the comments section of a JSO article (even if those two opinions are more clearly explained than yours has been in stating which players they liked or didn't like).

You're the one claiming to be a subject matter expert, to have an insight none of us are privy to. Those words are hollow until you decide to actually back them up.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

We all know I'm the smartest one on this board, and I think Ted is great.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
gbguy20
8 years ago

As Tom Petty once said...Don't do me like that. Of course, any fan of team wants their team to be better. That is not a very good comeback. I'm speaking to OUR defense. It's not been good enough. Do you think our D would've fared better than Seattle's in the SB? I don't. Rodgers on one leg this time around vs. a New England team we narrowly escaped at home the first time around? D wasn't and isn't good enough...we all know that. To take Russell Wilson's legendary awful first half and use that as validation our D was good enough isn't fair. We were fortunate Russell sucked that bad...nobody had ever been that bad in an NFC Championship game in the 1st half and our D still couldn't win the game for us by getting torched at the end of regulation and OT. If our D was actually good perhaps we stop them in regulation and win it there? Or...at least get the ball back to our O in OT. Neither happened. We lost. How does a team lose to a team whose QB played the worst 1st half of football in NFL history in an NFC Championship game? Doesn't speak well of the defense that you keep saying WAS good enough. I don't think it was. I know it wasn't.

I blame McCarthy for that loss, not our D. Our D did absolutely disappear in those final 5 minutes though.
greengold
8 years ago

Uffda,

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

D-
miss
miss
ok
miss

Just look at all those misses! He's not STELLAR like ALL of you claim! Therefore he is barely above average. Oh no, I haven't compared him to other GMs, but I assure you I know he is not good at drafting. Do you not see all those misses? I have unique insight and am unbiased because I worked at a radio station. You guys all claim he is STELLAR. 😕

uffda udfa
8 years ago

D-
miss
miss
ok
miss

Just look at all those misses! He's not STELLAR like ALL of you claim! Therefore he is barely above average. Oh no, I haven't compared him to other GMs, but I assure you I know he is not good at drafting. Do you not see all those misses? I have unique insight and am unbiased because I worked at a radio station. You guys all claim he is STELLAR. 😕

Originally Posted by: greengold 

Network. 😝

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

gbguy20
8 years ago

Cullen Jenkins had me scratching my head, maybe that was a mistake. I think the Eagles overpaid him. You can't keep them all.

Bulaga I think was given a fair contract. Of course if he spends the next two years on IR I will be proven wrong on that! 😊

The others, Jennings, Jones, EDS, don't forget Newhouse. You gotta guess right on who to keep and who to cut ties with to manage the cap. 👍

Originally Posted by: greengold 

Cullen was let go so Ted Thompson could give AJ Hawk a 5 year 33.75 million contract. Cullen was the player who should've gotten the money but the (cough cough) Ted Thompson draft pick got the money instead. Cullen would've signed for less and given us much more than that stiff. A compound mistake by Ted Thompson that had negative impact on our team and D for years.

I'm just curious why Cullen Jenkins' name is being thrown around in this thread, like it was such a mistake letting him go and like he was deserving of a huge contract.

In his last season here, he played in 11 games and had a total of 18 tackles and 7 sacks. The year prior he played in all 16 games and only had 4.5 sacks! Prior to that he only played in 4 games! Prior to that he had 1 sack in 16 games!

He went on to only play in 2 unexciting seasons with the eagles. They cut him and he had 2 more unexciting seasons with the giants.

This just doesn't seem like a guy who was a) a big loss to our D, b) deserving of a huge contract and finally c)a guy who played up to the big contract he signed in FA.

Lets just stop with that nonsense.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

I'm just curious why Cullen Jenkins' name is being thrown around in this thread, like it was such a mistake letting him go and like he was deserving of a huge contract.

In his last season here, he played in 11 games and had a total of 18 tackles and 7 sacks. The year prior he played in all 16 games and only had 4.5 sacks! Prior to that he only played in 4 games! Prior to that he had 1 sack in 16 games!

He went on to only play in 2 unexciting seasons with the eagles. They cut him and he had 2 more unexciting seasons with the giants.

This just doesn't seem like a guy who was a) a big loss to our D, b) deserving of a huge contract and finally c)a guy who played up to the big contract he signed in FA.

Lets just stop with that nonsense.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

It isn't nonsense. He played DT for Philly and dwarfed his Packers tackles numbers both seasons in Philly and had 9.5 sacks from the DT position. Do you want to take a look at Ryan Pickett's numbers and compare? Oh, but Pickett was a Ted Thompson FA and just a dynamite move, right? You posting stats minus context or ever having seen him play is what is nonsense.

Post up all the Packers DT sack totals over the past several seasons. Cullen was versatile and could play DE or DT and was a fine Packer. He was just a little too much like Clay Matthews in he was injured often. Remarkable he played all 32 games for Philly the next two seasons. You do realize Ted Thompson chose to give HUGE money to AJ freaking Hawk in favor of Cullen? You tell me what nonsense is again?

UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (2h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (6h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (16h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (23h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.