steveishere
9 years ago

A decade? Hoping that was hyperbole.

I greatly admire what Denver did this offseason... they were dominant on offense all year. Setting records. D wasn't good enough...so what do they do? Address the defense with studs. You left out TJ Ward. Denver realizes Peyton is near the end.

Rodgers end could come on any given play in any given game. I said it in another post but Packer fan has become complacent. Taking things for granted. The window is NOW and always is just NOW despite the belief to the contrary. I know I would gladly trade a SB win for a few years of downtime. It sure beats watching a string of one and dones and a whole bunch of bad defense year after year.

To me it's kind of like the person who goes through school and gets A's and B's and tells themselves that that's good enough when if they really went for it they could've been straight A's. Everyone is wired differently. Too many fans and our org on the whole is satisfied with being above average when we have the main tool (12) to hoist our namesake's trophy many times. ...and the better idea is to shoot for long term above average? Just a different mindset.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

That's nice, it's also not reality. There is no trade like that available. Would you trade no superbowl and a few years of downtime for no superbowl and a few years of one and dones? Those are both the most likely outcomes to seasons for every team.
mi_keys
9 years ago

Why is it that the Packers can pay Rodgers and Matthews and Nelson and a host of other guys and yet fans think they can stay competitive but as soon as Seattle and San Fran have to pay their QBs they are going to fall apart.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Last year the Seahawks had the following starters and regular contributors (e.g. nickel backs) on their rookie contracts:
[list]
  • Russell Wilson - QB
  • Robert Turbin - FB
  • Golden Tate - WR
  • Doug Baldwin - WR
  • Jermaine Kearse - WR
  • Russell Okung - LT
  • James Carpenter - LG
  • JR Sweezy - RG
  • Bruce Irvin - OLB
  • Bobby Wagner - MLB
  • KJ Wright - OLB
  • Malcolm Smith - OLB
  • Richard Sherman - CB
  • Brandon Browner - CB
  • Walter Thurmond - CB
  • Earl Thomas - FS
  • Kam Chancellor - SS[/list]

• That gave them a tremendous amount of flexibility. You don't often find so much success in 2-3 consecutive drafts. As these players' contracts expire, Seattle is going to have to make decisions about who to keep and who to let go. Hell, we've already seen them have to make those decisions with Golden Tate, Walter Thurmond, Chris Clemons and Red Bryant all let go. They cut and resigned Sidney Rice to a minimalist 1 year deal before he decided to retire. That doesn't mean they won't be competitive; but it will limit the resources they have available to go out and get players or resign their own. That's no different than what the Packers face right now with a more matured team core.

You all want us to be like the 2013 Seahawks? Then draft better.
    Born and bred a cheesehead
    sschind
    9 years ago

Last year the Seahawks had the following starters and regular contributors (e.g. nickel backs) on their rookie contracts:
    [list]

• Russell Wilson - QB
  • Robert Turbin - FB
  • Golden Tate - WR
  • Doug Baldwin - WR
  • Jermaine Kearse - WR
  • Russell Okung - LT
  • James Carpenter - LG
  • JR Sweezy - RG
  • Bruce Irvin - OLB
  • Bobby Wagner - MLB
  • KJ Wright - OLB
  • Malcolm Smith - OLB
  • Richard Sherman - CB
  • Brandon Browner - CB
  • Walter Thurmond - CB
  • Earl Thomas - FS
  • Kam Chancellor - SS[/list]

• That gave them a tremendous amount of flexibility. You don't often find so much success in 2-3 consecutive drafts. As these players' contracts expire, Seattle is going to have to make decisions about who to keep and who to let go. Hell, we've already seen them have to make those decisions with Golden Tate, Walter Thurmond, Chris Clemons and Red Bryant all let go. They cut and resigned Sidney Rice to a minimalist 1 year deal before he decided to retire. That doesn't mean they won't be competitive; but it will limit the resources they have available to go out and get players or resign their own. That's no different than what the Packers face right now with a more matured team core.

You all want us to be like the 2013 Seahawks? Then draft better.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

I agree 100%. That is what most teams face when paying out big contracts to a few players but according to some people the Packers are not facing that right now. It's the other teams that pay a few players good money that will fall apart. As soon as those rookie deals are up they will automatically suck. So many people say "just wait until Kaepernick and Wilson want to be paid, the 49ers and Seahawks will suck" If Packers can pay a Rodgers all that money and still magically be contenders every year who says the Seahawks or the 49ers can't do exactly what the Packers are doing and consistently field a competitive team even while paying a few big contracts.

It's one thing to be a fan but to think your team is the only one that can figure it out just makes you look stupid.

Wade
    • Wade
    • Veteran Member
    9 years ago
    I remember back when Wolf fired Infante. Infante had said something like "a few plays here and there and we would have won XYZ." Wolf said something like "I don't want people who distinguish between good reasons and bad reasons for losing. I want people who find failing to dominate as never good enough."

I want a team that can find a "reasonable" justification for why they fall short or why they can't dominate. I don't want a team that points to injuries, or bad calls, or salary caps, or trades not available, or "reality," or "any given Sunday" or any of that. A want a team that says, "We didn't get it done. We didn't dominate. That's unacceptable. We just aren't close to good enough yet. Period."

Anything else is just an excuse.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
    Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
    uffda udfa
    9 years ago

I remember back when Wolf fired Infante. Infante had said something like "a few plays here and there and we would have won XYZ." Wolf said something like "I don't want people who distinguish between good reasons and bad reasons for losing. I want people who find failing to dominate as never good enough."

I want a team that can find a "reasonable" justification for why they fall short or why they can't dominate. I don't want a team that points to injuries, or bad calls, or salary caps, or trades not available, or "reality," or "any given Sunday" or any of that. A want a team that says, "We didn't get it done. We didn't dominate. That's unacceptable. We just aren't close to good enough yet. Period."

Anything else is just an excuse.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

This beautiful post won't compute to the majority of posters on this forum but it is spot on.

Packer fan is fat dumb and happy with above average and that is sickening. The overwhelming support for us to remain status quo is nauseating.

You play sports to WIN. Not winning your final game of every season is LOSING. You can't be happy with that... you should be motivated beyond belief to get to the point where you do win your last game.

Alas, excuse after excuse is given here... long term success is more important, it's too hard winning a SB, we'll just hope and pray better teams like Seattle suffer down the road, injuries, I love buying my divisional championship gear so I can brag to my divisional rival buddies.

The above are people who have NOTHING in common with what this team is known for...the rich history cemented during the Lombardi years. Winning is the ONLY thing. What a new breed of organization and fan in 2014. Pitiful,

What fan says I like the way it is right now? Have any of you watched the games the last several years? You like watching a defense suck every Sunday and in the playoffs? Anyone comfortable and okay with losing especially the way we've been doing is not recognizable to how I view the reason we have sports in the first place.

This is not the self esteem movement where everything is great and okay where every kid gets a prize just for participating. This is about winning and losing and there are way too many Packers fans far too comfortable watching a non winning product calling it a successful product. Soon, there'll be people posting TT's REGULAR SEASON RECORD from the last several years pointing to it as validation of how "successful" we've been. OR, the number of playoff appearances. What won't be posted is that we've won ONE playoff game in the Ted Thompson era outside of our SB run. ONE... Ponder is a gametime scratch and Joe Webb has to play at Lambeau...we win a very ugly game. That's it...the mighty Packers with Aaron Rodgers have won ONE playoff game outside of our playoff run. That is pathetic and inexcusable.
    UserPostedImage
    Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
    9 years ago
    None of us are playing this sport lol we are watching it. I don't know about you but I don't derive any personal glory from the Packers winning. I'm watching this for entertainment, I am significantly more entertained when they win the Superbowl but all this talk of "striving for greatness" and "being content" just sounds like a bunch of hot air. If you can't enjoy the game just because your team didn't win it all in any given year then I think you are probably taking it all a bit too seriously. It's not "sickening" or "nauseating" for people to not get depressed because a professional sports team lost their last game of the season, it's normal.

If the Packers over Ted Thompson tenure have not been a successful product then there really isn't any football team a person can follow that has been a successful product. If that's unacceptable then I guess we should all just give up on the NFL.

Every single fan WANTS this team to be good enough to win the Superbowl but it doesn't make you a better fan just because you get more pissy than other fans when they don't. Or that you didn't get any enjoyment out of being a fan when they didn't win.
    voiceofreason
    9 years ago

This beautiful post won't compute to the majority of posters on this forum but it is spot on.

Packer fan is fat dumb and happy with above average and that is sickening. The overwhelming support for us to remain status quo is nauseating.

You play sports to WIN. Not winning your final game of every season is LOSING. You can't be happy with that... you should be motivated beyond belief to get to the point where you do win your last game.

Alas, excuse after excuse is given here... long term success is more important, it's too hard winning a SB, we'll just hope and pray better teams like Seattle suffer down the road, injuries, I love buying my divisional championship gear so I can brag to my divisional rival buddies.

The above are people who have NOTHING in common with what this team is known for...the rich history cemented during the Lombardi years. Winning is the ONLY thing. What a new breed of organization and fan in 2014. Pitiful,

What fan says I like the way it is right now? Have any of you watched the games the last several years? You like watching a defense suck every Sunday and in the playoffs? Anyone comfortable and okay with losing especially the way we've been doing is not recognizable to how I view the reason we have sports in the first place.

This is not the self esteem movement where everything is great and okay where every kid gets a prize just for participating. This is about winning and losing and there are way too many Packers fans far too comfortable watching a non winning product calling it a successful product. Soon, there'll be people posting TT's REGULAR SEASON RECORD from the last several years pointing to it as validation of how "successful" we've been. OR, the number of playoff appearances. What won't be posted is that we've won ONE playoff game in the Ted Thompson era outside of our SB run. ONE... Ponder is a gametime scratch and Joe Webb has to play at Lambeau...we win a very ugly game. That's it...the mighty Packers with Aaron Rodgers have won ONE playoff game outside of our playoff run. That is pathetic and inexcusable.

I find it "sickening" and "nauseating" that you show such disdain for fellow packers fans, just because we prefer to be optimistic.
    blank
    buckeyepackfan
    9 years ago

None of us are playing this sport lol we are watching it. I don't know about you but I don't derive any personal glory from the Packers winning. I'm watching this for entertainment, I am significantly more entertained when they win the Superbowl but all this talk of "striving for greatness" and "being content" just sounds like a bunch of hot air. If you can't enjoy the game just because your team didn't win it all in any given year then I think you are probably taking it all a bit too seriously. It's not "sickening" or "nauseating" for people to not get depressed because a professional sports team lost their last game of the season, it's normal.

If the Packers over Ted Thompson tenure have not been a successful product then there really isn't any football team a person can follow that has been a successful product. If that's unacceptable then I guess we should all just give up on the NFL.

Every single fan WANTS this team to be good enough to win the Superbowl but it doesn't make you a better fan just because you get more pissy than other fans when they don't. Or that you didn't get any enjoyment out of being a fan when they didn't win.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Finally, someone who really gets it.

The Packers play in just about 1 hour from now, I remember coming on here in the past, even for pre-season games and the talk was all about the upcoming game, what people were looking for, who they were watching.

In other words football talk!!!

Have to speak the truth,
    This site is not near as fun as it used to be.

Steve, there are some here that have played the sport, at various levels, it was not hard to figure out who they were, just with the way they posted.

Sadly, most have left or in some cases just keep quiet.

I do have to believe they are getting quite a chuckle out of some of these posts.

Game is about to start, I for one am just going to watch Packer football, not gonna worry about over analyzing, hope it's a well contested game(as much as pre-season can be), and hope some of the new guys help kick The rams butts!!!

2nd pre-season game, still all about the young guys fighting for a job!!!!
    I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
    Zero2Cool
    8 years ago

Speak for yourself bubba, I ain't no fatty!! 😲

UserPostedImage
    DoddPower
    8 years ago

Speak for yourself bubba, I ain't no fatty!! 😲

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Obviously the fact remains that a team has to either win their division or secure a wild card spot to have a chance at winning a Super Bowl. Therefore, it's not silly to have winning the division and securing home field advantage throughout the playoffs as the first main reasonable goal for a season. Although my main goal for a season is the Packers staying healthy. But still, win the division over the putrid Bears and Vikings, and then everything resets in the playoffs. The goals reset, and the "season" begins anew. Goal number two is to win the Super Bowl.

I'm not sure why that's so hard for some to understand. The two aren't mutually exclusive. I'm sure that very few Packers fans are completely content with only winning division championships. It's just part of a sequential progress, and a perfectly reasonable goal for the season.