all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
Hm, I can't help but think your line of thinking is only factoring (or perhaps factoring in too much) stats.

Peppers is a dynamic player that would surely command double teams in some key situations. Those double teams open things up for other players.

Peppers has also been through adversity, and has yet to fail in over coming it. He's been on some under performing teams, had some tough seasons, etc. and he'd fit in so well as a leader type figure that Charles and Al claimed we needed. If Peppers also alludes a type of quiet confidence when he plays, that too would surely help boost our D in light of the constant failings near the end of the games.

That said, he's 29. Ted will not over pay for a free agent DE whose long term success is not highly assured, I feel, especially after KGB became a shell of himself in a matter of months.

I'm pretty sure money spent on Peppers could be better spent (and a lot less spent) on going out and getting talent that is familiar with the 3-4, especially some of the older vets that are on their last legs, but crafty enough to use their experience to their advantage while at the same time helping fellow players new to a 3-4 transition to that scheme and style of play.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
Peter King  says:

Julius Peppers wants to go elsewhere. The Panthers aren't going to let him, not without significant compensation. Look for this one to last a long time, for the Panthers to franchise Peppers and try to entice an offer of at least a first-rounder for him. Wouldn't be surprised to see Miami offer its first-round pick for him. It'd be a fair offer. Peppers and Phillip Merling would be a nice combo in the Dolphins' 3-4 scheme.

There is no way in hell Ted Thompson offers Carolina first-rounder for Peppers.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago
At times I've wondered if Peppers basically made things difficult for himself by making it publicly known he wanted out.

It kinda limits the choices of the Panthers to A) Franchise Peppers and get something for him or 😎 Let him skip his way out of town with nothing to show.

Not a hard choice for the Panthers. I wonder if it'd be easier for Peppers to play along as if he'd come back, making the Panthers think it'd be more beneficial to Franchise Gross (because Peppers seems to want to stay, and Gross is a heck of a lot lesser than Peppers after being Franchised).

Panthers then Franchise Gross, leaving a clear path for Peppers to walk away. Andrew Brandt mentioned that the Panthers would Franchise whoever they felt was more likely to get away from them... wonder if Pepper acted out when he shouldn't have.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
DakotaT
15 years ago
Why don't we trade Kampmann to Carolina for Peppers. Peppers obviuosly has to do the sign and trade thing, but he would work much better in our new 3/4, then Kampmann going to.

I just don't think Kampmann's game translates to the 3/4. He's too slow for the OLB position and too small for DE.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
15 years ago

That said, he's 29. Ted will not over pay for a free agent DE whose long term success is not highly assured, I feel, especially after KGB became a shell of himself in a matter of months.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

How old is Kampman.. just for reference. How many more years does he have left and his contract will come calling next season.

I stated this in another thread.. my concern with Peppers is he looked disinterested in playing in 07, then turned on the juice last year in his contract year.

Then he comes out this offseason and plants the money seed that he wants to play elsewhere.. which may be true or may be just a ploy to drive his contract up.. hoping the Panthers pony up a brinks truck full of cash.

We don't need another Smokin Joe on the roster.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
As one Carolina fan wrote on the ESPN NFC North blog :

ATTENTION NFL FANS...I am sorry to say but this guy is highly overrated and I am a fan of his...He only plays when he wants to and very rarely shows up every play. Dont get me wrong he is by far the most gifted athlete in the NFL on defense. But he has no heart and no motor. HE is not worth what he is going to get paid , nor is he worth the draft picks required to pick him up (WE WILL FRANCHISE HIM). I love Pepp and hope he stays, but it has always been frustrating to watch him, when you know, WHEN HE WANTS TO PLAY NO ONE CAN STOP HIM. But that is a VERY rare occurnce. TRUST ME, be careful what you wish for!!!

"PanthersNc22" wrote:

UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
He really isn't the most gifted player on defense...

And I agree with him, I hope we don't get Peppers.

TED THOMPSON, DON'T LISTEN TO ALL THE HATERS, LEAVE PEPPERS WHERE HE'S AT!!
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
15 years ago

ATTENTION NFL FANS...I am sorry to say but this guy is highly overrated and I am a fan of his...He only plays when he wants to and very rarely shows up every play. Dont get me wrong he is by far the most gifted athlete in the NFL on defense. But he has no heart and no motor. HE is not worth what he is going to get paid , nor is he worth the draft picks required to pick him up (WE WILL FRANCHISE HIM). I love Pepp and hope he stays, but it has always been frustrating to watch him, when you know, WHEN HE WANTS TO PLAY NO ONE CAN STOP HIM. But that is a VERY rare occurnce. TRUST ME, be careful what you wish for!!!

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

"PanthersNc22" wrote:

Sounds like a bitter fan to me... It happens with every team, they think their guy is the greatest until he leaves their team. It even happens with our Packer fans 😉
blank
yooperfan
15 years ago

He really isn't the most gifted player on defense...

And I agree with him, I hope we don't get Peppers.

TED THOMPSON, DON'T LISTEN TO ALL THE HATERS, LEAVE PEPPERS WHERE HE'S AT!!

"go.pack.go." wrote:

"Don't listen to all the haters", what the hell is that all about young man?
RaiderPride
15 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

"PanthersNc22" wrote:

That is ONE WAY of looking at it.

The other way is to look at motivation. Motivation can be the be all or end all between good and great or very good and very great.

There is not a great deal of History behind the Panthers. History, or being compared to history can be a powerful motivating factor.

When someone with as much raw natural talent as Peppers has, and he comes into the hallowed grounds of Green Bay, when he walks through the Packers Hall Of Fame, and sees Ray Nitschke's game-used jersey and his photos, or Willie Woods', or the Super Bowl I football signed by the whole Packers team. Well... That could bring out the little bit between very good and very great.

Peppers could be humbled into being a player who takes his game to the next level.

I really hope he comes to Green Bay. Not only for the Packers fans, but for Julius Peppers as well.

R.P.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (20h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.