porky88
  • porky88
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
8 years ago
Hey guys,

Sorry I’ve been MIA the last two months. I’ve been busy with work and getting ready for the NFL Draft.

Anyhow, like last year, I wanted to do a lengthy post on what I think the Packers are looking at this year.

Like most people, I think they’ll look at linebacker , defensive line , and cornerback . I know there’s some people out there clamoring for Maxx Williams, but Richard Rodgers was a third round pick for a reason. The team thinks too much of him to use a high pick on an overrated tight end.

Possible Picks at No. 30

1. UCLA LB Eric Kendricks -- Compliments Sam Barrington at ILB.
2. Wake Forest CB Kevin Johnson -- Tall, lanky outside corner. Hayward moves back inside.
3. Texas DT Malcom Brown -- Lean, run-stuffing nose tackle. Think Buffalo’s Kyle Williams.
4. Miami (FL) LB Denzel Perryman -- Brandon Spikes 2.0. What does he do that Sam Barrington can't?
5. Oklahoma DT Jordan Phillips -- Amazing physical attributes. Poor production.

Potential Slides

1. Nebraska OLB Randy Gregory -- Gifted athleticism. Skinny frame and off-field issues could send him down the draft board.
2. Missouri OLB Shane Ray -- Recent drug issue could scare away teams. FOX’s Jay Glazer said he checks out fine, though.
3. Oregon DL Arik Armstead -- Didn’t have the combine many hoped. Amazing size and length, though. Most intriguing defensive lineman in the draft. I think he'll go in the 15-32 range.

Trade Up

1. Washington DT Danny Shelton-- Closer to Leonard Williams than the mainstream media thinks. 90-plus tackles and 9 sacks. That's amazing production!
2. Michigan State CB Trae Waynes -- Physical corner with terrific athleticism.

Trade Down

1. TCU LB Paul Dawson -- Frankly, I’d take him at No. 30. Value has fallen, but his tape is gold.
2. Clemson LB Stephone Anthony -- Very good scheme fit. Outstanding Senior Bowl and Combine.
3. Florida State CB P.J. Williams -- Underrated player. Good size and physicality. Reminds me a little of Tramon Williams.
4. Florida State DT Eddie Goldman -- Two-down run stopper.
5. Mississippi State LB Benardrick McKinney -- Big linebacker. Can stop run and rush passer. Can't cover.

http://www.row12.com/article/2914/Final_2015_NFL_Mock_Draft/ 

http://www.row12.com/article/2913/Final_Top_100_Players_in_the_2015_NFL_Draft/ 

My projection is one of the names above, but probably the least expected. Unlike the last few years, I think the board might throw Ted Thompson a wrinkle.

I’ve also started running Row12’s Twitter  account. I’ll be tweeting thoughts on the picks as they come in.

As always, I am an amateur. I don't claim to be an expert or anything. I just take notes throughout the year on college football prospects and use those notes to form the foundation of my opinions. That's why you'll sometimes see me much higher on other players than the mainstream media is. Jamison Crowder, Ty Montgomery, and Paul Dawson are the prime examples this year.

I'll be updating this post throughout the next three days. Draft Day is upon us!
Rockmolder
8 years ago
Great write-up, Porky.

I've mocked Kendricks to us in my last version, but I'd much rather have the other guy you listed. Kevin Johnson. The only thing I think he truly needs is discipline. Something we should be able to work on.

As to Danny Shelton... I'm a bit in the middle on him. He reminds me of Raji in a couple of ways. He has all the physical attributes to be an elite NT. A guy you could build a defense around. On the other side, the consistency is not always there...

I'd like to see how he does when matched up against pro calibre centers. I've got a gut feeling that he'll be decent, but not worth the top 15 pick he'll most likely be.
nerdmann
8 years ago
Great analysis pork.

My prediction is Kendricks. He's a vintage Ted Thompson pick. Safe, all "all steak, no sizzle" kind of guy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Matt, hypothetically speaking, if Row12 were to lets say fall offline, would you focus writing for PackersHome because you are freaking awesome!!! 🙂
UserPostedImage
warhawk
8 years ago
First of all I would say no to Gregory. There is something going on with him and he's sliding down the board but beyond that he is not strong at all against the run. He can rush the QB I give him that but I saw a segment on Gruden and he was really down on this guy. Ironically a lot of the tape he showed was against Wisconsin and they ran right at him and he was on his butt all day. No thanks on him.
Next I would not take a player earlier than a very late round based on potential vs production even though they have all the measurables. The first question is if they are big and strong and fast but don't have the numbers to back it up. WHY? The only thing I can think of is that they just aren't very good football players. If they have all this talent and can't put up numbers in college how they going to do it against professional football players?

Like I say I would take a flyer in a later round on a player that does have strong measurables but maybe didn't play for a team that allowed them to show it. Waller from Georgia Tech is an example. Good height, weight, speed, but played on a triple option team that hardly ever threw the ball. Later round. Why not?

Early rounds I would be looking for players that played in the top conferences and had at least a couple of years of solid numbers showing they held their own against the better athletes in college football. Guys like Dix and Lacey that held their own against strong teams week in and week out. Much less of a gamble than some kid that ran fast around some orange cones.

Good job Porky as always and I hope your big board is right. I like the names of some of the CB's you have in the 60's and wouldn't mind seeing Ted pull the trigger on one in round 2.

It's on! Do your deal Teddy.
"The train is leaving the station."
porky88
  • porky88
8 years ago

Matt, hypothetically speaking, if Row12 were to lets say fall offline, would you focus writing for PackersHome because you are freaking awesome!!! :)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Are you planning to shut it down? 🤣
mi_keys
8 years ago

Matt, hypothetically speaking, if Row12 were to lets say fall offline, would you focus writing for PackersHome because you are freaking awesome!!! :)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

You could just acquire them with all those PackersHome dues you've collected.
Born and bred a cheesehead
porky88
  • porky88
8 years ago
I don't really believe in instant grades, but since people like to know...

Green Bay Packers
Player Selected: Arizona State DB Damarious Randall
Analysis: Maybe Randall isn’t a conventional choice for the Packers, but he’s an intriguing one. The Arizona State safety is a good tackler (106 in 2014) with superb coverage skills. In fact, the role Randall played for the Sun Devils is pretty much the same role Micah Hyde played for the Packers last year. Why select Randall if Hyde is already fulfilling a hybrid role in Green Bay? My best guess is the Packers want Randall to be their slot corner, while keeping Hyde in his current role. Casey Hayward, a free agent following this season, will then kick outside opposite of Sam Shields. Randall certainly gives the Packers a more versatile secondary. However, what does he offer that Hayward and Hyde don’t already bring to the table?

B-

You can click here  to see the full article and compare the Packers grade with the rest of the league.
nerdmann
8 years ago

I don't really believe in instant grades, but since people like to know...

You can click here  to see the full article and compare the Packers grade with the rest of the league.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I agree that they've already got two "tweeners" in the Dbackfield. But the thing is, this staff LOVES tweeners. They try to find guys who are versatile, in case they need an extra roster spot for somebody. They're always uncovering gems in UDFA.

Anyway, the dude specializes in reacting to the ball while it's in the air. That's what makes Heyward so great too. Dude has a ton of turnovers and had TWO pick 6's last year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (7h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (7h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (18h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (18h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.