Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
8 years ago
I'm assuming that there won't be a trade into the 7th round...so I am going to opine.

What I like:
1. Jake Ryan.
2. Picking two DBs.
3. Picking a hammerhead FB.

What I don't like:
1,2,3,4,5: Not picking players who will push for starting reps this year.
Going in to the draft, GB needed to find people to push the current(or pencilled-in) starters at some of these:
CB, ILB#1, ILB#2, NT, TE, OT.
Now that the draft has happened, they have people who push the current or pencilled-in starters at:
ILB.

Thats it. Barring injuries, the only draftee with a serious shot at starting this year is Jake Ryan. And that primarily because the current ILB roster is either someone who ought not to be starting at ILB because he should be starting at OLB (CM3) or players who are at best serviceable with unproven potential to improve (Barrington) or just unproven (everyone else).

6. Needing a shut-down corner, they pick one DB who is a tweener and a second DB who is a tweener AND has only one year of college football.

7. Not drafting any OL.

8. Having Chicago (Goldman for first), Minnesota (Kendricks for first), and Detroit (Wright for third) all take someone I considered much better for one or more picks GB took in the top 100.

9. It looking like the freaking Vikings tromped Ted in this draft. Throwing out Waynes (who woulda taken a Lawrence Welk trade to get), the Vikings got Kendricks (no more of a reach than Randall in the first), Hunter, Clemmings (available in 2nd and 3rd, higher on board and mighta pushed Bahktiari instead of a project CB/S and at best a fourth WR and a possible PR/KR.), Pruitt (not only substantially more than Backman, but better than that project CB/S and fourth WR picked in 2nd and 3rd), Thompson (would have been competition for needed depth on the OL, something not drafted at all by Ted), andShepherd (who definitely would have been competition for backup on the OL).

10. NOT DRAFTING ANYONE TO PUSH RAJI AND GUION!!!!!!!!!!!!
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Barfarn
8 years ago
I like:
2 high quality outside CBs
1 Much better receiving Josh Cribbs and save Hyde and Cobb from getting injured.
1 Ryan who has as good as a chance as any of those other 5 ILBs to be a good/great ILB and didn't cost us a guy picked 1-3
1 FB named Rip'em'apartkowski Just don't know if cult following fans will yell Riiiiiiiip or skiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
No OLman cant afford the roster spots; next yr we'll get some Wade

Didn't like the trade up for Hundley; 3rd QB must go on PS to preserve valuable roster spot. And if you need to trade up he might not make it if he shows something; woulda liked Jesse James O'Shaughnessy or Tull instead and that effing Belicheck got Daryl Roberts w/ that 7th pick we lost...Grrrrrrrr

8 years ago
I'm excited about Randall, Rollins, and Montgomery.

Rollins' talent after only 1 year of football is off the charts. Randall just seems like a very natural cover corner (regardless of where ASU played him). I think they both have the potential to be very very nice picks.

Montgomery reminds me of Corey Bradford with slightly better hands, and maybe a slightly higher football IQ. He'll thrive with Rodgers throwing him the ball.

I'm less excited about Ryan, even though I was pumped when I saw they drafted a high effort MLB who was a captain of his defense. Watching video, he just seems to lack any kind of burst. The comparisons to Hawk seem pretty spot on.

I haven't watched video of the FB yet, but I'm glad we got one. He and Lacy could punish people.

The DE seems like a project and I don't know if he'll amount to anything. We shall see.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
8 years ago
I wonder if Ted will considering signing any additional unrestricted free agents now that it won't count against the compensatory pick selection? Isn't Brandon Spikes still available? Would Philly trade Kendricks? I'm sure there others that could push for a roster spot.

Also, I think Ted should take a chance on OT La'ell Collins. If he's cleared of charges, he would be a steal. Worth the risk and would likely be a good backup at worse.
gbguy20
8 years ago

I'm assuming that there won't be a trade into the 7th round...so I am going to opine.

What I like:
1. Jake Ryan.
2. Picking two DBs.

What I don't like:
Going in to the draft, GB needed to find people to push the current(or pencilled-in) starters at some of these:
Now that the draft has happened, they have people who push the current or pencilled-in starters at:
ILB.

Thats it. Barring injuries, the only draftee with a serious shot at starting this year is Jake Ryan. And that primarily because the current ILB roster is either someone who ought not to be starting at ILB because he should be starting at OLB (CM3) or players who are at best serviceable with unproven potential to improve (Barrington) or just unproven (everyone else).

6. Needing a shut-down corner, they pick one DB who is a tweener and a second DB who is a tweener AND has only one year of college football.

7. Not drafting any OL.

8. Having Chicago (Goldman for first), Minnesota (Kendricks for first), and Detroit (Wright for third) all take someone I considered much better for one or more picks GB took in the top 100.

9. It looking like the freaking Vikings tromped Ted in this draft. Throwing out Waynes (who woulda taken a Lawrence Welk trade to get), the Vikings got Kendricks (no more of a reach than Randall in the first), Hunter, Clemmings (available in 2nd and 3rd, higher on board and mighta pushed Bahktiari instead of a project CB/S and at best a fourth WR and a possible PR/KR.), Pruitt (not only substantially more than Backman, but better than that project CB/S and fourth WR picked in 2nd and 3rd), Thompson (would have been competition for needed depth on the OL, something not drafted at all by Ted), andShepherd (who definitely would have been competition for backup on the OL).

Originally Posted by: Wade 

in you dislike section, i disagree with everything but number 10.
beast
8 years ago

I like not having to worry as much about teams trying to put 4 WRs on the field to simple out match the Packers CBs. While they could still try it, I feel like the CBs the Packers picked up have enough potential to hopefully keep up as they developing and once they develop I think the Packers will be in the best group of DBs they've had since Collins went down (assuming they don't lose Hayward before they develop).

I'm still worried about the Packers front 7 some, but once those DBs develop the Packers seem pretty stacked in the DB department and hopefully Capers with the pass rushers can come up with some thing in the front 7.

And hopefully the Packers offense can get them a lead so they won't be trying to run the ball all game, but having Raji back and having Pennel, Thornton, Robinson and Gaston all with a developmental year under their belts should be better as well to help with a rotation.

I don't like that the depth at TE didn't get much better.

UserPostedImage
yooperfan
8 years ago

What I like:
1. Jake Ryan.
2. Picking two DBs.

What I don't like:
ILB.

7. Not drafting any OL.

Very good analysis!

isocleas2
8 years ago
I truly like all the picks 1-5, and the positions picked in round 6 are ones we needed to address. I know nothing about the late round guys so I won't comment more than that about them.

I think alot of people were so focused on nose tackle and inside linebacker they ignored how much help we needed at CB. What's the saying you can't have enough good cornerbacks? Its even more important than ever and we just lost two key guys at the position.

I get the Jake Ryan comparisons to Hawk, but i think alot of resentment people had for Hawk came because he was a #5 overall pick. If he was drafted late in the 4th round like Ryan was I think people would be more excited about a young A.J. joining the team. I said in the other thread but this is the pick that makes the most sense for the Packers.

I'm also big on the Hundley pick. The Packers will stash him as the #3 on the roster this year, start showcasing him in year 2 and by year 3 we'll finally have a respectable backup qb behind Rodgers. Or a nice trade piece down the road.

Would I have liked the Packers to draft a nose tackle? Yes, but other than that I can find no fault with this draft class.
Rockmolder
8 years ago

What I like:
1. Jake Ryan.
2. Picking two DBs.

What I don't like:
ILB.

I feel like you have to make a choice in the draft. After pick 1-15, you're usually out of guys who have both a high ceiling and can start for your team immediatly. There are some exceptions, of course, often having to do with character issues or positions with lesser value.

I don't think you would've gotten a guy who could've pushed for the starting CB role at 30. The best pure CB left was Jalen Strong, a guy who's seen as a project with just 10 starts under his belt in college.

Randall will have a chance to contribute, though, rather than start. I feel like he's the perfect player to move around on defense. He's versatile, athletic, smart and just a football player. He has everything but his size going for him.

What I think is that, in his first season, you can use him as a S/CB hybrid, let him play zone coverages, get him on TEs and spy on running QBs (two positions that have destroyed us in the past) and get the most out of him that way. That'd be one heck of a contribution to the team.

Then with pick 62, you just have to go with potential if you want to keep competing in the future. And we did. I love that pick and feel like we got ourselves our starter for next year. It's a shame that he won't step in right away, but he has a ridiculous skill set, with his speed being the only legitimate question in my eyes.

Then the guy we did get who could be an instant starter has little room to grow. I don't mind that much, with him being a 4th round pick and all, but what you see is what you get. A hard working and studying linebacker, with average athletic ability.

7. Not drafting any OL.

I bet you were hoping for at least 5 o-linemen, knowing you. 😝

Goldman's an immovable object, but brings very little in terms of a pass rush. Kendricks is a good LBer and a steal at 45, but apart from being more of a need, nothing gave me the impression that he'd be the better pick. Wright would've been good value for us. He's a developmental prospect, but he could be great down the line. We'll just have to see how Montgomery works out.

The Vikings had a great draft. So had the Bears. Thing is, after every draft I get the feeling that we botched it just a bit. Ted's like the student who gets a solid B every year, while everyone else is wildly inconsistent, picking up A's and D's, eventually averaging a C.

He never goes for the big names, but follows his own scouts and scouting reports. I can appreciate that. He's proven that they get it right more than other teams.

Nose tackles have such ridiculously high positional value, that it's rather hard to get a servicable one later on. Next to that, they should be pushing eachother.If that's not enough, Pennel's still there. Don't know if you could've drafted anyone better than that in the later rounds.

When in doubt, I generally look to what Porky has to say. He seems to be rather happy with the draft, so that's a big comfort.

Lastly... The Hundley pick was pure genius. To get a QB with such physical tools that late in the draft is an absolute steal.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (5h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.