Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Brett Hundley | Quarterback | UCLA | 6'3" - 223 lbs.

STRENGTHS: Good-sized athlete with ideal height and a thick lower body...not an easy player to tackle and will deliver hits, running with power - stout frame to brush off contact in the pocket and as a ballcarrier...athletic footwork and flexible body control to move like a much smaller athlete...uses his legs effectively to pick up positive yards or move the pocket with natural instincts as a scrambler and the acceleration to erase pursuit angles.
Nice job stepping into his throws with easy arm strength to spin a pretty ball to all levels of the field - able to generate unforced velocity...quick set-up, rhythm and delivery motion...comfortable operating from a clean pocket with an even-keeled, calm demeanor...improved understanding of situational football...nice job selling play fakes and works his mannerisms well...durable and plays through pain (dealt with minor ankle and elbow injuries), starting every game of his career (40 career starts)...mature leader for his age with a gutsy demeanor even if it doesn't appear that way because of his reserved demeanor - voted team captain as a sophomore.

Wants to be great with the football passion and competitive drive needed for the NFL...career 29-11 record as a starter, becoming the first UCLA quarterback to produce at least nine wins in three straight seasons as a starter...leaves UCLA with the career records for touchdown passes (75), completions (837) and total offense (11,713) - finished second in school history in career passing yards (9,966) and rushing yards by a quarterback (1,747)...football bloodlines: father (Brett Sr.) played running back at Arizona.

WEAKNESSES: Poor pocket awareness and presence, struggling to decipher and recognize pressures...drops his eyes early and allows defenders to disrupt his tempo, struggling to manage the pocket and stare down the gun barrel, especially with interior pressures...too easily rattled and doesn't play with consistent confidence in the pocket...needs to develop his internal clock, holding the ball too long and allowing the pocket to swallow him up.

Struggles to reset his feet and eyes once moved from initial spot...doesn't show much anticipation at this point in his development, usually waiting for his target to come open before delivering...questionable processing speed with gun-shy tendencies, not challenging tight coverages...too methodical at times and doesn't read blitzes to speed up his process...needs to quicken his eyes and expand his vision...downfield ball placement isn't a strength with most of his completions coming on throws under 10 yards on screens, quick slants and swing passes...poor ball security with 29 career fumble the last three seasons.

COMPARES TO: Randall Cunningham, ex-Eagles: Hundley possesses a combination of size, athleticism, grace and arm strength reminiscent of the former Pro Bowler Cunningham.

IN OUR VIEW: On the surface, Hundley's skill-set seems every bit as tantalizing as Oregon's Marcus Mariota or Florida State's Jameis Winston. However, Hundley needs to improve in the critical subtleties of the quarterback position - pocket presence, reading defenses and ball placement.

--Dane Brugler & Rob Rang

PLAYER OVERVIEW

With dual-threat quarterbacks Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick leading their respective clubs to the Super Bowl the past three years, NFL teams may be growing more comfortable with the idea of highly athletic passers now than ever before. That's music to the ears of Hundley, whose graceful running and deep ball proficiency could earn him a surprisingly high grade come spring.
Coming out of Chandler, Ariz., Hundley was the first UCLA quarterback recruit to earn a five-star rating (scout.com). As a senior, he completed 139 of 225 passes for 2,348 yards, 20 touchdowns and two interceptions, while also leading the team in rushing with 856 yards (7.0 avg.) and nine touchdowns.

Hundley redshirted under Rick Neuheisel in 2011 but looked the part of a future blue-chip NFL prospect in guiding the Bruins to the Pac-12 South championship a year later with coach Jim Mora. Hundley threw for a school-record 3,740 passing yards, including 29 touchdowns against just 11 interceptions in his first season.

He followed that up with similar production the next two seasons, watching his completion percentage raise each year and his interceptions drop. Despite leaving with a year of eligibility remaining, Hundley is UCLA's all-time leader with 11,713 total yards and 75 touchdown passes against just 25 interceptions - only five of which came in 2014.

The concern with Hundley is that statistics aside, he appears much the same now as he did two years ago. He still has a tendency to drop his eyes and become a running back once he feels a pass rush rather than remaining poised in the pocket and keeping his passing options open. To achieve success in the NFL, there is no question that he'll need to improve in this area.

Given the steep drop-off in talent following Florida State's Jameis Winston and Oregon's Marcus Mariota, however, teams could see Hundley as a relative value with plenty of upside to develop. It has been a long time since a Bruins' quarterback has excited scouts. The last UCLA quarterback drafted, in fact, was Cade McNown, whom the Chicago Bears selected in the first round in 1999.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago
Wildcat!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
8 years ago
Love the pick. Well worth it. The Packers needed a talented backup quarterback.
8 years ago
Great pick to develop! I thought he'd be first off the board behind the big two. Can't believe he lasted till the 5th. Will make the preseason more fun to watch!
beast
8 years ago

Every 3 years the Packers and Patriots make a trade for a player.

Who the Packers got from said trades

2006: WR Greg Jennings
2009: OLB Clay Matthews
2012: CB Casey Hayward
2015: QB Brett Hundley
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
I've been saying the Packers didn't have any urgent needs. I guess they proved that in this draft - taking a WR early and now a QB. The article says he compares to Randall Cunningham? I always had an extremely high opinion of Cunningham. I like that wildcat idea too.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
DoddPower
8 years ago

Every 3 years the Packers and Patriots make a trade for a player.

Who the Packers got from said trades

2006: WR Greg Jennings
2009: OLB Clay Matthews
2012: CB Casey Hayward
2015: QB Brett Hundley

Originally Posted by: beast 

The Patriots should probably stop trading with the Packers. I was surprised it only took a 7th round pick to for the Packers to move up. Perhaps the Patriots were just trying to keep him out of their division.
musccy
8 years ago
Great pick. Good potential as a back up, with rumors of changes to the Xtra point to encourage the 2 point more he could be a great Option. Lots of ways you could use him situationally. Great pick.
porky88
8 years ago
Google Brett Hundley vs. Arizona State 2014.
OlHoss1884
8 years ago
Wow so we have FOUR QB's on the roster I'd rather have than Cutler.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (16h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (17h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (21h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (23h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (23h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (23h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (23h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (23h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (23h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.