Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
8 years ago
Another NFL Draft has come and passed the Packers by. There were multiple opportunities get some of the best quality players that would also have fill the teams needs. Instead Ted Thompson chooses to pick from the bargain basement or pick players at positions that make little good sense. This years draft class , IMO, scores a deserving F- as the poorest picks in decades.
Ted Thompson draws a nice salary, lives comfortably, tells everyone what to do. He can do as he pleases without question. In addition, due to unexplained good luck, some past draft picks are stars. This bolsters his I'm right and everyone else is incapable of reaching my level of clairvoyance attitude.

As a result, the Packers will continue much as they have for many years to come. Teasing it's fans with SB dreams, Ted Thompson will continue this insanity. He can do as he thinks best because the sheep like fan base are afraid to say a bad word against the team. That could get them labeled or banned.

The hard truth is that Tight Wad Ted's management will see the Packers keep coming up short year after year until he goes away. The team will continue to come up short with less than championship quality players. He will however keep the team under the cap, and personally reap the benefits from the money not spent. Don't expect to find the Packers in any SB's for many years to come, get used to it.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. A good description of Ted Thompson.

UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
8 years ago
I guess you should blame the scouts too.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
Smokey, I'm surprised at you. I knew the other guy was a Thompson basher, but I didn't think you were.

True, the Packers did what seemed to be slightly crazy things with some of their picks. And it's also true that I have hardly been a big fan of Thompson overall. However, I like the way this draft went. I have been saying, the Packers didn't have any urgent needs. Well, they sure drafted that way.

The two Corner/Safeties they got in the first two rounds both have the athleticism I would hope for - strong chance Whitt should be able to develop them. They both seem potentially a LOT better than House and also better than Tramon at his current age. I see that as a strong chance to end up being an upgrade.

I really didn't like the Montgomery pick, but considering return ability, and McCarthy even mentioning the possibility he could be a change of pace RB, he's worth getting. I'd rather see extra wideouts on the field than extra TEs, and having 6 good ones makes that more likely.

I was disgusted with the Ryan pick when I saw him listed as an OLB - another non-need, but when I read he played Middle LB for Michigan last season, the pick made sense. He reminds me of A.J. Hawk - who wouldn't have had a bad career if he had been a 4th round pick.

Hundley is a definite bargain pick which I like. I still want Tolzien to be the primary backup this season, but Hundley is a quality prospect who opens up a LOT of possibilities - including but not limited to "wildcat".

Beyond that, who knows. It's all gravy.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
beast
8 years ago

Honestly I don't get all the doom and gloom over this draft.

They draft two high potential developmental CBs, who were talented enough that they wouldn't of dropped that far if they had been developed, so basically GB is betting on their CB coach being able to develop them (and he's got a pretty good track record of doing that) to bring out their high potential at the NFL level. What's wrong with that?

Then drafted a WR who I consider a mix between Randall Cobb and James Jones (and Thompson has a pretty good track record with WRs).

Followed by the ILB position everyone wanted, in a guy who reminds me of AJ Hawk.

After that I like it a bit less with developmental QB, FB that I didn't like as much, a less physical DT version of Daniels that can get moved around more and a TE I know nothing about.

But the top of the draft doesn't look bad, if you assume the CB coach can keep doing what he has been doing for the most part and developing good athletes and turning them into maximizing their potentials to turn them into good CBs. Which I think he's done, other than maybe didn't maximize House.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
8 years ago
The draft makes so many people crazy lol. Suddenly everyone is a freaking expert. Nobody wants to believe that the random prospect they thought was a top 10 player fell to the 5th round because they were wrong about him heh it has to be because all the teams in the nfl simply missed or were too dumb to see it or some other excuse they can make up to avoid facing the fact that they arent some hot shot evaluator.

The fact is you have absolutely 0 clue how this draft and these players are going to effect the team because you know jack at this point about how good or not good the players are going to be in the nfl. I mean shit at least see them play with your own eyes before spouting some doomsday nonsense.
Yerko
8 years ago
Just because Ted didn't select the players you wanted doesn't make this draft an absolute failure. This post is foolish and 10x worse than someone posting draft grades one hour after the draft is completed.

You and the experts have not one single clue as to how a player is going to develop throughout their career.

Packers were ranked 32nd in special teams last year. Packers lost 2 starting corners and a wide receiver last year. Ted Thompson wasted no time in filling the positions he lost depth at while fulfilling the special team needs. The first 3 draft picks have significant special teams experience.

So tired of the doom and gloom because Ted didn't draft someone's fantasy mock draft. At least give the rookies a chance before you go full 100% doom and gloom.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
8 years ago
Saying that this draft pick can develop or that pick has potential is just stupid. This is professional football, not Pop Warner, at this level players should not need developing , only polishing.

Next, if TT's picks are so good, then why were No Other Teams seriously considering them. The truth is that Ted Thompson is always looking to get the dirt cheapest players he can get, but you'll not see him returning any of his paycheck.

And, what special knowledge does Ted Thompson posses that 31 other professional football teams don't ? Frankly I'm not buying his BPA crap, I believe it is a cover for "I'll pick who I damn well please". I think he is 3 eggs short of Dozen .

UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
8 years ago

Saying that this draft pick can develop or that pick has potential is just stupid. This is professional football, not Pop Warner, at this level players should not need developing , only polishing.

Next, if TT's picks are so good, then why were No Other Teams seriously considering them. The truth is that Ted Thompson is always looking to get the dirt cheapest players he can get, but you'll not see him returning any of his paycheck.

And, what special knowledge does Ted Thompson posses that 31 other professional football teams don't ? Frankly I'm not buying his BPA crap, I believe it is a cover for "I'll pick who I damn well please". I think he is 3 eggs short of Dozen .

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Wow. I'll make some points in order of your issues.

1. Aaron Rodgers did not need "polishing", rather he needed to be developed coming out of Tedford's system. McCarthy changed his entire throwing mechanics - including his throwing motion and where he released the ball. "Polishing" refers more to the transition from year 1 to year 2 you hear McCarthy harp on; year 1 is about teaching guys the pro-level, what to do, and how to do it.

2. Mike Mayock and Bob McGinn both had, for example, first round pick Randall going top-20 to the Eagles. Based on mock drafts, Randall was definitely in play in the first round. Given that no other team would comment on Randall after he is drafted by the Packers (because, you know, that would be tampering and violating league rules), how exactly do you propose we determine no other team "seriously considered" Randall?

3. Ted actually is one of the few GMs who incorporates analytics into his drafting. Of all major sports leagues, the NFL is by far the worst in incorporating analytics into anything. Frankly, just having data to analyze instead of relying on the good ol' "eye test" is leaps and bounds beyond what most scouts are paid to do. All players selected in the first 5 rounds were, in some way or another, on top of the metrics generated by pro football focus for college football. Giants assistant GM Kevin Abrams, who is from Toronto, Canada and spoke at a college here, said that NFL teams completely ignored analytics and had no clue how to incorporate them to make more informed decision making (anecdotal evidence, but if you don't believe me I can search and cite a formal source stating what Abrams said in his speech at my alma matter). Hearing Ted (and MM) speak again today, it is clear that they incorporate a lot of analytics into their analysis.

Ted assembled the best overall team in football last year -- they beat the Superbowl champion Pats and dominated for 95% of the game the other team to play in the Superbowl. Ted may strike out, but his track record of fielding a consistent contender indicates he definitely has some idea of what he is doing.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Smokey
  • Smokey
8 years ago

Wow. I'll make some points in order of your issues.

1. Aaron Rodgers did not need "polishing", rather he needed to be developed coming out of Tedford's system. McCarthy changed his entire throwing mechanics - including his throwing motion and where he released the ball. "Polishing" refers more to the transition from year 1 to year 2 you hear McCarthy harp on; year 1 is about teaching guys the pro-level, what to do, and how to do it.

2. Mike Mayock and Bob McGinn both had, for example, first round pick Randall going top-20 to the Eagles. Based on mock drafts, Randall was definitely in play in the first round. Given that no other team would comment on Randall after he is drafted by the Packers (because, you know, that would be tampering and violating league rules), how exactly do you propose we determine no other team "seriously considered" Randall?

3. Ted actually is one of the few GMs who incorporates analytics into his drafting. Of all major sports leagues, the NFL is by far the worst in incorporating analytics into anything. Frankly, just having data to analyze instead of relying on the good ol' "eye test" is leaps and bounds beyond what most scouts are paid to do. All players selected in the first 5 rounds were, in some way or another, on top of the metrics generated by pro football focus for college football. Giants assistant GM Kevin Abrams, who is from Toronto, Canada and spoke at a college here, said that NFL teams completely ignored analytics and had no clue how to incorporate them to make more informed decision making (anecdotal evidence, but if you don't believe me I can search and cite a formal source stating what Abrams said in his speech at my alma matter). Hearing Ted (and MM) speak again today, it is clear that they incorporate a lot of analytics into their analysis.

Ted assembled the best overall team in football last year -- they beat the Superbowl champion Pats and dominated for 95% of the game the other team to play in the Superbowl. Ted may strike out, but his track record of fielding a consistent contender indicates he definitely has some idea of what he is doing.

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers 

👎 🇹🇹 👎 !!!
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

what a stupid fucking post