Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago
IMO if you don't think you need to improve much, you won't.

Fortunately for the Packers, as of the end of the 2015 season all of the three stooges (i.e. other NFCN teams) need to improve a lot to offer a serious threat to the Packers. If I were the sort that still bet on sports outcome, I'd put a big chunk of the Packers winning the division yet again this year.

Unfortunately, the Packers should not be measuring themselves against teams who have to improve a lot. They should be measuring themselves against the teams who they might face that *don't* have to improve a lot. Not teams whose best hope for a playoff spot is a wild card, but NFC teams who are serious competition for the NFC championship and AFC teams who are potential Super Bowl opponents.

I think Minnesota and Chicago had better drafts than GB. But in the end, that's not a big deal to me, because I think Minnesota and Chicago are at least 2 years away from serious divisional competition if the Packers play up to their ability.

But has GB improved relative to those other championship contenders?

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
beast
8 years ago

If the Vikings DL can hold together, they're going to be a pain in the butt to play with all good coverage guys... add to the fact it looks like they're going to have a passing game to go with Peterson this year and I think it's fair to say they're going to get a shot at the division this coming year.

I think it'll be the Packers and Vikings battling for the division, though I really dislike that the Bears were able to get Goldman in the 2nd, I think he's going to be very good.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
8 years ago

IMO if you don't think you need to improve much, you won't.

Fortunately for the Packers, as of the end of the 2015 season all of the three stooges (i.e. other NFCN teams) need to improve a lot to offer a serious threat to the Packers. If I were the sort that still bet on sports outcome, I'd put a big chunk of the Packers winning the division yet again this year.

Unfortunately, the Packers should not be measuring themselves against teams who have to improve a lot. They should be measuring themselves against the teams who they might face that *don't* have to improve a lot. Not teams whose best hope for a playoff spot is a wild card, but NFC teams who are serious competition for the NFC championship and AFC teams who are potential Super Bowl opponents.

I think Minnesota and Chicago had better drafts than GB. But in the end, that's not a big deal to me, because I think Minnesota and Chicago are at least 2 years away from serious divisional competition if the Packers play up to their ability.

But has GB improved relative to those other championship contenders?

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Eh, fans don't have to hold the same standard as the actual organization. I have no doubt the Packers organization knows they need to improve. C'mon. A team can NEVER reach a point where they are good enough. It's an unobtainable goal. No coach or general manager would make it with that attitude. A team might be "good enough" to win a game on a given week, but it's immediately time to turn the attention to the next week, season, player, contract, etc.

I think you really have to come to terms with the draft and develop philosophy (if you already have, it sometimes just doesn't seem like it). This is what it is, and the Packers organization adheres to it tightly. It's very unlikely to change because it's the fundamental philosophy of this administration. They will live and die by that sword, if you will. It will either win them another championship or two, or they will sputter and all retire/get fired and the organization with start over. If that happens, the next administration that is hired will likely have a mandate to take a slightly different path. If one vehemently disagrees with this current philosophy, they should probably hope that Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy get fired or retire soon. Because things aren't likely to change otherwise.

It's fine to disagree with the philosophy, but it's also important to accept it for what it is. The Packers are strong in their conviction, be it right or wrong. They are very likely never going to sign a lot of free agents, make many (or any) substantial trades, or become highly aggressive with the draft or future draft picks. They are going to draft young players and rely on those players to improve as they mature in the system. That's the main source of immediate improvement that the Packers rely on. It's just the way it is. I rather like it, but I think a few more signings like Julius Peppers would be useful. Having more guys like him come around every couple of seasons is generally a good thing. But overall, I'm fine with the approach. Much more often than not, it makes a lot of sense. All the Packers need to do is draft better or get lucky and land two-to-three more good-to-very good players and this team has no excuse to not win another championship. I think that's a reasonable goal, but they do need to find those few additional players.

Ultimately, it just comes down to needing to draft a little better. I think Ted Thompson is a good drafter, and he runs a great organization from a business perspective. But if he just drafted a little better, the Packers could be a different team. I don't think it's as much an issue with the philosophy. It's always a matter of execution.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago
Sigh....I *do* believe in the draft-and-develop idea.

I just don't like:
1. Putting as many eggs in that basket as Ted Thompson does; and
2. The failure (more on my fellow fans part than on TT's) to recognize that the amount of weight put on draft-and-develop can change how important a particular draft can sometimes be to short run improvement.

As, IMO, it does this year.

I don't give a damn right now whether this year's drafts turn out to be all pro in 2016 or 2017 or 2099. I care about whether this *TEAM* this *YEAR* improves enough over last year. For example, I want a team that scares Seattle or at least gives them a lot more to worry about; I don't want a team that depends on finessing Seattle to beat them.

Ted has been GM for a decade now. There is no way he should be acting as if last year's roster is going to improve enough to get that improvement. And I'd like to believe that he doesn't. I do, however, think that some of his fans here do, and that they think that is okay.

And that, sir, bugs the crap out of me.

I agree with everyone that Ted knows light years more than I do. And I hope like hell he got this draft right and proved me wrong as he has done multiple times before.

But until I see a Bahktiari give what I think a LT should give to the team, until I see a Barrington or a Bradford or a Hayward or a Hyde or a Quarless or a (Richard) Rodgers give what I think the team ought to be getting at their respective positions, I'm going to bitch when I don't see Ted bringing in more competition for those positions on the current depth chart.

Maybe they have what it takes. Hope so. Maybe some of the draftees /UDFAs will provide real competition. Hope so on that as well.

Because, right now, that's all the team's got to choose from to get that competition. Last years roster, rookies, and UDFAs.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DoddPower
8 years ago

Sigh....I *do* believe in the draft-and-develop idea.

I just don't like:
1. Putting as many eggs in that basket as Ted Thompson does; and
2. The failure (more on my fellow fans part than on TT's) to recognize that the amount of weight put on draft-and-develop can change how important a particular draft can sometimes be to short run improvement.

I really can't comprehend why some people get so annoyed by how other sports fans perceive and enjoy sports. It makes no sense. It's entertainment. Most of us have no real connection to it beyond simply following the sport. Most of us don't have close family members on the team, although some know a few players. Fans aren't going to change how they enjoy the game so I'm not sure why so many talk them out of what they enjoy or substantially change their perspectives. All that matters is that they derive joy from the sport. Nothing else matters, whether you, me, or anyone else agrees with it or not.

I don't give a damn right now whether this year's drafts turn out to be all pro in 2016 or 2017 or 2099. I care about whether this *TEAM* this *YEAR* improves enough over last year. For example, I want a team that scares Seattle or at least gives them a lot more to worry about; I don't want a team that depends on finessing Seattle to beat them.

Last years team was more than capable of beating Seattle. It just didn't work out, but that was an exceptional situation. If all the Packers did was maintain their current talent level, or possibly even got slightly worse, they are STILL more than capable of beating Seattle, and any other team in the league. Aaron Rodgers being healthy it's more than enough improvement.

But that still wasn't the point of my post. Ted's particular philosophy of draft and develop relies improvement from within as the main source of team improvement. As in this "*TEAM* this *YEAR*." It's just the way this organization currently is, for better or for worse. It's fine to hope and wish things were different. But it's also important to realize that it's highly unlikely and Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy will sink or swim with this philosophy of depending on improvement within.

Ted has been GM for a decade now. There is no way he should be acting as if last year's roster is going to improve enough to get that improvement. And I'd like to believe that he doesn't. I do, however, think that some of his fans here do, and that they think that is okay.

And that, sir, bugs the crap out of me.

See my quote above. I really cannot understand why other fans perspectives bother you so much. I understand we all have quirks that bug us, but this just doesn't seem like anything positive. At all. Obviously all fans view things differently, just as you do. Express your opinions and debate them when it comes up, but don't let it bug crap out of you. What's the point? That seems as futile as trying to substantially change the food someone likes to eat or the music they enjoy. Sure, some new things may be discovered, but in general, people are going to like what they like regardless of others opinions. It's certainly not worth stressing about.

I agree with everyone that Ted knows light years more than I do. And I hope like hell he got this draft right and proved me wrong as he has done multiple times before.

But until I see a Bahktiari give what I think a LT should give to the team, until I see a Barrington or a Bradford or a Hayward or a Hyde or a Quarless or a (Richard) Rodgers give what I think the team ought to be getting at their respective positions, I'm going to bitch when I don't see Ted bringing in more competition for those positions on the current depth chart.

Again, if bitching makes you feel better, go for it. But Ted and company are going to keep doing what they have been doing for years now. It is not likely to change until they retire or get fired. I accept it for what it is and try my best not to have an aneurysm about it (which isn't that difficult).
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (5h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.