mi_keys
  • mi_keys
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

But has GB improved relative to those other championship contenders?

Wade wrote:

Let's discuss.

Right now ESPN has us as 3rd favorites in their power rankings (behind Seattle and New England). Vegas has us 2nd favorites at 7-1 to win the Super Bowl (behind Seattle at 11-2 and ahead of New England at 15-2). Is that warranted?

Last year we should've won a title. We had Seattle beat, their self-anointed "12th man" tails tucked and sulking home, only to do our best Dennis Green impression. We would've been the favorite two weeks later against a team we beat earlier in the season in a game where the scoreboard flattered them.

So how have those teams and the other potential contenders moved since last year? I'd ask the following:
[list=1]
  • Who has arrived for each team?
  • Who has departed?
  • Who is likely to develop for each?
  • [*]Who is likely to regress?[/list]
    Born and bred a cheesehead
    DoddPower
    8 years ago

Let's discuss.

Right now ESPN has us as 3rd favorites in their power rankings (behind Seattle and New England). Vegas has us 2nd favorites at 7-1 to win the Super Bowl (behind Seattle at 11-2 and ahead of New England at 15-2). Is that warranted?

Last year we should've won a title. We had Seattle beat, their self-anointed "12th man" tails tucked and sulking home, only to do our best Dennis Green impression. We would've been the favorite two weeks later against a team we beat earlier in the season in a game where the scoreboard flattered them.

So how have those teams and the other potential contenders moved since last year? I'd ask the following:
    [list=1]

• Who has departed?
  • Who is likely to regress?[/list]

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

• I need to research the Patriots and Seahawks drafts more closely. From what I read, the Patriots made a couple of very questionable picks after their first round selection. The Patriots lost their secondary and Brady is yet another year older, and the Seahawks offensive line is still an issue. Seahawks offense should be about the same or better with Jimmy Graham, but their defense might decline a little. The statistics are not in the their favor after losing the Super Bowl. Although I said something similar about them making it back last season, but let's be honest, the Packers should have beaten them if not for a historical collapse. The odds are even worse for them after LOSING the Super Bowl, though.

I have no doubt that as long as the Packers stay reasonably healthy, they will once again be one of the best teams in the NFL. I said the same thing all last season but many were laughing at those that called the Packers "contenders." As always, the Packers success will be defined by Aaron Rodgers and the progression of young players. They will rise and fall with the young guys. Hopefully Aaron Rodgers plays better in the playoffs this season (because the Packers will be in the playoffs barring major injuries).

The Packers offensive line is solid. They have a very good running back, very good wide receivers, and a great quarterback. The offense will be one of the best in the league, as usual. The defense just has to find a way to be consistently above average and the Packers can compete and beat any team in the NFL. This defense did it against the Patriots and for the vast majority of the NFC Championship game, and they should be about the same or slightly better than last season. As I said, that will mostly depend on the development of several young players. It should be an exciting season!
    texaspackerbacker
    8 years ago

I need to research the Patriots and Seahawks drafts more closely. From what I read, the Patriots made a couple of very questionable picks after their first round selection. The Patriots lost their secondary and Brady is yet another year older, and the Seahawks offensive line is still an issue. Seahawks offense should be about the same or better with Jimmy Graham, but their defense might decline a little. The statistics are not in the their favor after losing the Super Bowl. Although I said something similar about them making it back last season, but let's be honest, the Packers should have beaten them if not for a historical collapse. The odds are even worse for them after LOSING the Super Bowl, though.

I have no doubt that as long as the Packers stay reasonably healthy, they will once again be one of the best teams in the NFL. I said the same thing all last season but many were laughing at those that called the Packers "contenders." As always, the Packers success will be defined by Aaron Rodgers and the progression of young players. They will rise and fall with the young guys. Hopefully Aaron Rodgers plays better in the playoffs this season (because the Packers will be in the playoffs barring major injuries).

The Packers offensive line is solid. They have a very good running back, very good wide receivers, and a great quarterback. The offense will be one of the best in the league, as usual. The defense just has to find a way to be consistently above average and the Packers can compete and beat any team in the NFL. This defense did it against the Patriots and for the vast majority of the NFC Championship game, and they should be about the same or slightly better than last season. As I said, that will mostly depend on the development of several young players. It should be an exciting season!

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Well said. Having us an eyelash behind the Seahawks and ahead of the Pats is a good objective analysis by an outsider. For those of us who know the Packers better, though, addition by subtraction and logically expected improvement from within make the Packers the top choice.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
    If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
    DoddPower
    8 years ago

Well said. Having us an eyelash behind the Seahawks and ahead of the Pats is a good objective analysis by an outsider. For those of us who know the Packers better, though, addition by subtraction and logically expected improvement from within make the Packers the top choice.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Yes. How much did the Seahawks actually improve beyond Jimmy Graham? Will their defense be as good? Perhaps they are a better team than last season, but I will stick with the statistics that say they are VERY unlikely to win the Super Bowl this upcoming season after losing last season.

Are the Patriots a better team? They lost their secondary, Vince Wilfork, and drafted late. Brady is another year old. How long can he keep playing at a high level?

The Packers offense remains in tack. The defense lost two corners, but added two players at that position with very good potential in the draft. They improved on the middle linebacker position simply because I can't imagine it being worse that last season. The Packers should be about the same team as last year and probably a little better. That's good enough to be champions, imo.
    warhawk
    8 years ago
    One phase that doesn't get a lot of talk is Special Teams and the Packers are set to address that. They essentially lost a great chance to win a SB because of ST's. Coaching changes, Mike McCarthy now overlooking all three phases, and seeing guys like Ryan, Ripkowski, and Montgomery coming in all point towards an emphasis to get better.

Secondly, I see keeping Bulaga and Cobb as a double whammy because they not only would have had to replace them the continuity gained keeping them is huge. What value can be put on having the entire Oline back along with the entire QB/receiving core? This is something very seldom seen in today's NFL. I see no other team that has the knowledge, respect, and confidence in one another like the Packers on offense.

Third, the Packers are desciples of the draft and develop philosophy and I think that gives them an edge on what they can gain going into each year. I was happy with what they got out of but expect even better from Rodgers (TE), Evans, Linsley, Dix, Barrington, who all earned PT last year. The way the Packers are built it is important that these players continue to improve individually helping the team to also improve and see no reason that won't happen.

This team stays as healthy as they did last year they will be right there at the end and hopefully finish it off this time around.

"The train is leaving the station."
    Porforis
    8 years ago
    Packers have a chance to win it all year out and year out based on the build of the roster (Draft and develop, ditching players past their prime and getting compensatory picks, keep the core). Some may be frustrated by the lack of a high impact FA signing that they think will be the key to a Super Bowl, but really, looking back at the last three years (especially last year), was it an issue of lack of talent or lack of execution? A good FA signing won't hurt but I think the value is highly overstated. GM puts the rest of the team in a position to win, it's up to the position coaches to develop the talent, and the playcaller and players to execute. Every one of those pieces needs to fall into place for a SB win.
    nerdmann
    8 years ago

Let's discuss.

[list=1]

• Who has departed?
  • Who is likely to regress?[/list]

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

• I don't fear any of these teams. Honestly, what I fear is this team self destructing from within again. Although with a new OC, or play caller, or wtf ever they're doing, hopefully that will be remedied.
    “Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    dhazer
    8 years ago
    I personally don't see us as a power, we have major issues at Middle Linebacker and in the secondary. So we draft not 1 but 2 safeties to play CB seriously? This year will be 2009 all over again where we score 40 points but the other team scores 42. People may laugh but the Cowboys may have lost Murray but was it Murray or was it the O-line? They got some defensive help in the draft and free agency, but they are also getting back a few injured guys and yes they had us beat in the playoffs is it wasn't for a technicality.

The main thing is look at the schedule and I want you to tell me we are ok. Can we stop the run , well we couldn't last year and now we face the Seahawks, Chiefs,Panthers, Rams and Chargers, cowboys and oh ya that guy is back in Minnesota.

I worry about Fox getting Cutler to play to his real potential or even half of it, they have the huge wrs and Te.

I see alot of disappointment this year and I see us in the top 10 of the draft.
    Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
    UserPostedImage
    mi_keys
    • mi_keys
    • Senior Member Topic Starter
    8 years ago

I personally don't see us as a power, we have major issues at Middle Linebacker and in the secondary. So we draft not 1 but 2 safeties to play CB seriously?

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Did Quinten Rollins play a single snap at safety last year? Randall was a corner in juco and played a quarter of his snaps as the slot corner for ASU.

Who are the 22+ teams you see having a better season then us?

Born and bred a cheesehead
    OlHoss1884
    8 years ago
    The ST will be better, no doubt.
    We lost a backup corner and one good starter, but the CB were not the strength of our defense. With Raji back this year, HCD with a year under his belt and better depth with the young DB (watch Randall in the slot in the nickel this year) the defense will be better. I didn't even mention more Matthews inside, because that may or may not happen, but I bet we see more of that in the nickel as well.

On offense, the emergence of Adams and development of Janis and Rodgers (TE) will make that side of the ball even better.

Meanwhile, Dallas has lost their RB and added two felons on defense already causing a stir down there. Seattle's O-Line has lost even more, and the league is starting to figure out how to beat their secondary (outnumber them...not all their guys can cover).

I am more concerned about the improvement of the Philly defense, the great draft again by the Vikings and the continued building of the Rams and Cardinals. While I still think the Packers are the best in the NFC this year, the playoffs are going to be a dogfight.

I think Philly, GB, AZ and Carolina win the divisions, with Seattle, the Rams and the Vikings duking it out for the wild cards.

In the AFC I have Miami, Balt, Indy and Denver, with NE, Buf, Pit, SD and Cin all in the fight for wild cards.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
    Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
    wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
    wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
    wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
    wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
    wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
    wpr (17-Mar) : INI
    wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
    dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
    dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
    Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.