nerdmann
8 years ago
IMO, the biggest impact will be ST. This returner has been compared to Cordorelle Patterson. If he's anything near that dude, he's gonna be awesome.

You got two CBs, you got an ILB, you got a FB. That's five in one draft, on a loaded roster.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago

IMHO, Ryan is the only draftee that will compete to start, simply because he is the only ILB at this point in time other than Barrrington.
Clay Mathews was moved inside as an emergency move because they had no one else that could do the job, he is and will be an OLB. The others mentioned who were with the Pack last year weren't good enough to get on the field in an emergency situation.
So perhaps they will compete and they will be competing against Ryan who will probably win the "starting" job.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

You know this how?

You may be right - I read that disturbing article that Matthews was dissatisfied, but I chalked it up to some media asshole stirring up trouble. IMO, Matthews and his athleticism made a huge positive difference inside for the Packers, and they still took advantage of his OLB ability on a lot of downs. I also liked Barrington's motor and some degree of toughness and athleticism. Hopefully this Ryan contributes, but IMO starting him would be going back to settling for a Hawk-like not as athletic player.

IMO, if any newby starts, it will be one of those athletic DBs if Hayward falters or hurts him hamstring again, or maybe the rookie FB, as Kuhn maybe wouldn't be that hard to beat out.

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Barfarn
8 years ago

IMHO, Ryan is the only draftee that will compete to start, simply because he is the only ILB at this point in time other than Barrrington.
Clay Mathews was moved inside as an emergency move because they had no one else that could do the job, he is and will be an OLB. The others mentioned who were with the Pack last year weren't good enough to get on the field in an emergency situation.
So perhaps they will compete and they will be competing against Ryan who will probably win the "starting" job.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

Yooper, i think you're right about Ryan being the only one to compete as starter; but CM3 in 2013 played some inside on passing downs and in mini camps he was playing quite a bit inside as well. The idea was to move him around making harder for D to game plan and his versatility could be used to cover, spy on those pesky QBs; blitz up middle; blitz off same side as Peppers; stunt w/ Peppers; etc. CM3's move was not a total emergency; but you're probably right in that the amount of snaps he got inside in 2014 was due to the emergency issues you cited.

If I'm defensive coord, as long as Perry's playing well, I have Wildman Clay in a position where the QB can see him relentlessly coming over and over and then occasionally lining him up on blindside to make the QB wonder where he's at.
AbbaGav
8 years ago
I don't think "draft and develop" depends on bringing in rookies who have to start this year to keep the machine running. It's a pipeline. We aren't going to start the same 22 as last year, but the replacements may come from last year's class, or the previous year's -- the "develop" part of draft and develop. A few of these rookies may start, maybe even later this year, maybe next year after they develop a little. The question though: is the 3-year pipeline stocked so we have a steady drip of new talent, year after year? I believe things are fine on that point, with the possible exception of specifically needing some ILB talent this year.
blank
gbguy20
8 years ago
This is another uffda situation. If you are going to make claims that the packers had a shitty draft because you don't think their picks are going to push for starting positions, you better come at us with an analysis of other teams' drafts. I'd love to know how many teams have 3 or more picks "pushing for starting positions." Also, which of those teams you think weren't shitty teams last seasons.

I don't know how you can sit here and say that our top 2 picks aren't pushing the guys ahead of them. Sammy is the only guy I see with his spot locked down. Jake Ryan is an obvious choice for this, as everyone was screaming for an ILB to be drafted. The FB we drafted could very well make John Kuhn expendable.

That's 4 in our draft.

Now where do the other teams stand?
PackerTraxx
8 years ago
I could easily see one of the CBs starting by mid season and the other contributing along with Ryan and Montgomery.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
warhawk
8 years ago
We had four rookies that came in last year and contributed at a significant level. I don't think you really want to see that every single year and the hope is to invest in rookies and develop them into outstanding players. I think Randall and Rollins under Witt will have a great chance of becoming outstanding players whether they set the world on fire this year or not.

Going by past history it seems rookies are called on every year to step in and step up due to injury or whatever and for the most part they seem to hold up very well when it happens. I would much prefer though that players with a couple more years experience that have earned their chance (like Hyde and Hayward) stay healthy and get the job done.

That's the ideal draft and develop scenario. Learn, pay your dues, develop into a solid starter, with someone behind you following the same path.

A rookie starting means one of three things. They are that good and beat everyone else out, or, the starter got hurt, or, the starter sucked and they had to replace them. So two of three doesn't look to me like rookies starting actually means it's a good thing.

Of course around here every rookie that doesn't come in and earn a starting spot and play terrific is labeled a bust by the end of the first year anyhow. I can't imagine any job harder than going from college football to professional football and why it's such a mystery to some that it takes time for that to happen just really puzzles me.
"The train is leaving the station."
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
Drafting youth and them competing for a spot of a veteran is always a good thing. The problem comes in when there isn't good veteran competition for them to compete with. In those cases is where outside veteran competition is needed.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
8 years ago
That's what I get for not being precise about the point I'm trying to make.

What was that point? It starts with a point I have tried to make repeatedly since last season ended, namely my belief that there were several positions where improvement was needed and that expecting all of that improvement to come from players currently on the roster is a recipe for failure. Before free agency started, I believed, and I still do, that there wasn't enough talent on the end-of-season Packer roster to cover the improvement needed at at starting LT, at starting RG, at starting RT, at backup TE, at starting DT, at rotation DE, at starting ILB#1, at starting ILB#2, at starting OLB #2, at backup LB, and at backup CB.

And after pre-draft veteran free agency, that list expanded to include starting CB #2.

Now, clearly no one here seems to agree with my list. That's fine. But whether this or that part of the list, or even two thirds of the list for that matter, belongs on it, is not the point. The point is that I do not think highly of the Packers' deep-into-playoff chances in 2015 if all 22 starters (or, if you prefer to substitute RaiderPride's "players with significant playing time" substitute for "starter,") are drawn from players who were on the roster at the end of last season.

I believed that in last January, and I will go on believing it until I am shown otherwise.

Which brings me to the post with which I started this thread: Believing as I do, and having a organization that for whatever reasons people want to give, did nothing to find outside veterans to provide serious competition for that end-of-2015 roster, that competition must come from either draft or UDFA.

I don't believe its good practice to expect rookie draft picks to become starters. I do believe that given (i) the number of positions at which some serious competition for starting/significant game reps is needed and (ii) the *lack* of players at on the end-of-2015 roster who can reasonably be expected to provide competition at *all* of those positions and (iii) the *lack* to date of any 2016 veteran free agent acquisitions that might provide that competition at *any* of those positions, then the only places we can expect that serious competition to come from are either rookies or UDFAs.

And, as I said, I don't see it except, maybe, at one ILB position, with Ryan. And to be honest, as high as I am on Ryan, I don't see him as a substantial upgrade as a rookie either.

Most everyone else seems to think that all the improvement needed to go late into the playoffs can come from the current roster (maybe with one/both of the S/CB hybrids getting significant reps in nickel/dime packages).

I just don't see it. Long run, Randall and Rollins may be all pros. In 2016, I see them as competing for reps with whoever loses the battle between Hayward and Hyde, Bush, and Richardson. Montgomery? He's going to be a number three WR. Ryan, ok, that's serious competition for one ILB position.

Meanwhile, we have no competition added for starting/significant time for either side of the line. Okay, I understand people are never going to see my argument on Lang and Bulaga's being not good enough. But do people seriously think a "developing" Bahktiari is what we should be satisfied with at LT. Do people seriously think that a serviceable Guion (who still may well be suspended for part of the season) and a B J Raji whose only consistency is his inconsistency, and maybe Pennell or whoever's "unproven potential" on last year's roster you like is enough competition for the NT position in a 3-4 defense?? How many years are we going to hope for Neal and Perry and D. Jones and Boyd et al to provide the oomph at DE they haven't yet provided? And we have no competition added for OLB (since I guess Perry or whoever will continue to improve enough?), the other ILB.

Yes, there is going to be competition for Tramon's position. But at this point that competition is Hyde and Hayward. Period.

I am not bothered just because the Packers haven't drafted players to compete for starting jobs. I am bothered because everyone seems to think that the Packers don't have to bring in ANY outside competition for ANY starting jobs.

And I, emphatically, disagree.

Hell, I'd disagree even if the Packers had won the Super Bowl last year and had 10 players in the Pro Bowl.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
8 years ago

Drafting youth and them competing for a spot of a veteran is always a good thing. The problem comes in when there isn't good veteran competition for them to compete with. In those cases is where outside veteran competition is needed.

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins 

Yes. Well said.

And that is what I think is the case with this team.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.