Porforis
8 years ago

Not necessarily, no. You build a roster operating under the constraints of a 53 man roster and a salary cap. In a hypothetical world, maybe you can sign 1 free agent each year without risk of losing young talent due to roster spots and salary being tied up; but if each successive free agent increases the risk of losing young talent, you face diminishing returns with more and more activity in free agency.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

Some are under the erroneous impression that you can get a few free agents that are known, quality commodities, use them for a few years, and then trade them for someone that's the same quality as when you first got them or close enough that some of the rookies you drafted in year 1 and somehow kept on the roster with no playing time are starting quality by the time the free agents leave.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Ah, so you agree I didn't change the subject. Glad that's sorted.

I said it was nonsense to hold that if someone dislikes conservatism in one job (coaching) that person must also dislike conservatism in a completely different job (GM'ing).

So we should hire a cheerleader for a GM? Maybe TO can give Ted Thompson some advise on pom pom techniques.

Who here denies Ted Thompson is conservative in his approach to team building? No one's avoiding that statement. Ted Thompson is not aggressive and no one in this forum has ever said as much as far as I can recall.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

Yes, but nobody ever acknowledges Ted Thompson is a conservative vs. aggressive guy. Those same people who don't acknowledge that go nuts on this forum that the Packers themselves aren't aggressive enough, our D isn't aggressive enough, Mike McCarthy plays to lose not to win, etc. If Ted Thompson is doing the exact same things how is he hailed as some hero of this forum? Oh, those are now mutually exclusive because you do like aggression in football but realize Ted Thompson doesn't have it and have to now say that liking aggression on the field vs. off is not the same thing? Right. Okay. You can't love one mindset for the same game and then not love it within the same game.

Teams take on the characteristics of their leaders...our leaders in the GM and HC world aren't aggressive. I freaking hate it. You guys seem to love winning the division with our wrong approach that isn't maximizing 12's talents. I freaking hate it. It's all entertainment but it's just a shame to see it happen and then see you guys champion the approach because we make the playoffs most years. ANY team with ANY HC and ANY GM should make the playoffs with Aaron Rodgers at the helm. Show me all the teams with QB's like Aaron Rodgers that don't make the playoffs almost annually.

I'm sure if you worked at a job where your boss didn't maximize your personal and company potential it would drive you crazy, if you could see just how great you could be with a different mindset. Wouldn't you want to work somewhere where your superior was sold out to be the very best and you could just feel that? Under our current regime, if I was working there, I would be incredibly frustrated. I get the sense most of you would just love your day to day experience falling short of expectation because you had a job with a good company. That is where being laid back and conservative vs. being aggressive's difference comes into play. I actually tire of talking about this. I know the audience here and how they see things. I just don't see it like most of you do and I find your replies humorous and off the mark almost every single time I read one. You think you address what I type but when I read it I seriously wonder if you are just trying to continue debating for debates sake.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

greengold
8 years ago

Yes, but nobody ever acknowledges Ted Thompson is a conservative vs. aggressive guy. Those same people who don't acknowledge that go nuts on this forum that the Packers themselves aren't aggressive enough, our D isn't aggressive enough, Mike McCarthy plays to lose not to win, etc. If Ted Thompson is doing the exact same things how is he hailed as some hero of this forum? Oh, those are now mutually exclusive because you do like aggression in football but realize Ted Thompson doesn't have it and have to now say that liking aggression on the field vs. off is not the same thing? Right. Okay. You can't love one mindset for the same game and then not love it within the same game.

Teams take on the characteristics of their leaders...our leaders in the GM and HC world aren't aggressive. I freaking hate it. You guys seem to love winning the division with our wrong approach that isn't maximizing 12's talents. I freaking hate it. It's all entertainment but it's just a shame to see it happen and then see you guys champion the approach because we make the playoffs most years. ANY team with ANY HC and ANY GM should make the playoffs with Aaron Rodgers at the helm. Show me all the teams with QB's like Aaron Rodgers that don't make the playoffs almost annually.

I'm sure if you worked at a job where your boss didn't maximize your personal and company potential it would drive you crazy, if you could see just how great you could be with a different mindset. Wouldn't you want to work somewhere where your superior was sold out to be the very best and you could just feel that? Under our current regime, if I was working there, I would be incredibly frustrated. I get the sense most of you would just love your day to day experience falling short of expectation because you had a job with a good company. That is where being laid back and conservative vs. being aggressive's difference comes into play. I actually tire of talking about this. I know the audience here and how they see things. I just don't see it like most of you do and I find your replies humorous and off the mark almost every single time I read one. You think you address what I type but when I read it I seriously wonder if you are just trying to continue debating for debates sake.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Wouldn't it make more sense to root for a team with a front office that does things your way? So you could be happy? Find that team with the "aggressive" front office, whether it be the Saints, Eagles, Redskins, whoever... Root for that team. Be happy!

I have a feeling that rooting for the Packers doesn't make you happy. Even when they win it all, like in 2010, it is just an aberration. They got lucky. Should've done it your way. Unhappy Uffda.

uffda udfa
8 years ago
At least I don't pretend like kinda has to be done.

I'm happy, brother, just not with the way our guy doesn't do a couple of little things to get us there. Adding Peppers was the kind of thing I refer to as liking, even though Julius was past his prime by a long shot. I want to see guys like Peppers added when they're actually difference makers once in awhile. We've never done that...ever...under TT. Woodson wasn't added when it was known he was still a difference maker. He was a major surprise.

Oh, you can bet I was happy when Wolf was GM. Thrilled. Thrilled with Holmgren, also, in his later years. Took him awhile to find his way.

I still love the Packers show...just not happy with the cast changes over the years as far as the behind the scenes director. The show could be so much better with a better director directing or executive producing.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
8 years ago
This is about draft and develop.
UserPostedImage
greengold
8 years ago

This is about draft and develop.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Draft and develop is what the Packers do. Some people like that. Some people don't. /thread over?

DarkaneRules
8 years ago
Then the next questions are:

Do you like who they draft? - The scouts and general manager
Do you like who they hire to develop the players? - The coaching staff
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Draft and develop is what the Packers do. Some people like that. Some people don't. /thread over?

Originally Posted by: greengold 

No. As long as you're firmly in the group who loves that phrase and praises our GM for using it this thread could go on ad infinitum. Thanks, Ted. ad nauseam Of course, I'm the one who goes on and on not the ones who praise Ted Thompson at every turn.

Question it and dislike it...there's an issue. You can be one person against the 20 who are for it and the 1 is going on and on but the 20 aren't.

Yes, draft and develop is ONE method for building a team used by ALL teams. There are multiple approaches. The great teams use all available resources to build a champion. I think back to the great Niners and Cowboys teams who would fight over Deion Sanders. New England got Revis last year...they won it all. Our guy shuns adding difference makers that could help the team go over the top. In fact, just this off-season he offered Revis 9.5mil per reports knowing that was nowhere near enough to get him to come here. He loses out on a difference maker like Revis by offering a pitiful deal to him, per reports, and then proceeds to blow our first two draft picks on DB's because he didn't/couldn't get Revis. If Randall and Rollins flop completely and are never good players in the NFL, it will be a major waste of our top 2 picks and it will have wasted a few more years of Rodgers career playing DB's nowhere near the level of Revis who could actually help us win a championship. There's your draft and develop vs. adding a difference maker approach right there. As bad as Ted Thompson has been drafting defensive players, I don't hold out much hope we've gotten anyone near Revis' ability in Randall or Rollins.

Do the Patriots use draft and develop? Are they crazy in FA? Nope...they balance the two. Look at how many rings they have with Brady. I would say they've maximized him over the years with their BETTER approach than Ted Thompson's who has...one SB appearance. So, draft and develop is not a better approach than what New England uses. Say that Ted Thompson should be doing more and you're some idiot who blathers on and on, meanwhile, teams that use a varied approach and actually win a lot of rings shouldn't be brought up because our approach brings us to division championships as if that's some justification it works so well.

EDIT: Denver was brought up... Denver wins their division almost every year. I read on this forum that Denver failing to win a SB after adding some great FA's last off season is proof that adding FA's doesn't work. What? Didn't Denver win their division just like Packers? Didn't Denver not make the SB just like the Packers? If you're going to crap all over Denver's approach, why aren't you crapping over Ted Thompson's approach, also? Neither approach got their team to a title, right? The Patriots are a smart org...that's always close to winning a title because of Brady. See any similarities with the Packers? Some team adding Revis that is nowhere near ready to compete for a championship is nowhere near what I'm referring to with adding FA's. When you're close due to having a superstar QB you need to do that one thing that elevates you above other teams who might have great QB's. If New England has a great QB and we do also, and they add a superstar defensive player and we don't who did more? Yes, we added Julius PAST HIS PRIME but that is the mentality of a winner... adding that one big thing that is needed. Where is TT's Reggie White or New England's Revis, or the Seahawks Harvin the year they won it? Where? It is ironic that we got as close as we've been to a SB by adding Peppers. Add a true stud to this team and see what happens not some former stud on his last legs.
You all seem to think when I speak to adding difference makers I'm speaking to adding scrub FA's like an Erik Walden, Evan Diettrich Smith etc to plug holes. No. I'm talking about adding players like a Jimmy Graham at a position of need on a team that is close to being a winner. Julius Peppers is the closest Ted Thompson has ever been to doing that but, again, Julius was not the star he's been in the past. We need to get one of those guys. Let Bulaga walk and give that extra money to Revis. Instead, we chose to keep some decent player at a high cost. Revis and Shields at CB? Are you kidding? Instead, we get Bulaga at RT instead of Barclay or Tretter. Bulaga ain't gonna be the difference in us winning a SB or not...Revis very well could be. No aggression from our GM. Just play it safe sign your own don't bring in a guy from the outside who changes the game. Instead, GAMBLE that a 1st or 2nd round pick MIGHT be the answer opposite Shields when you could've locked that thing down tight and all but ensure your D would be strong enough to carry you to a title. Now, when the guy opposite Sam is getting torched you can all hail Ted Thompson and his conservative approach for the 10th straight off season again.
UserPostedImage

8 years ago

Do the Patriots use draft and develop? Are they crazy in FA? Nope...they balance the two. Look at how many rings they have with Brady. I would say they've maximized him over the years with their BETTER approach than Ted Thompson's who has...one SB appearance. So, draft and develop is not a better approach than what New England uses. Say that Ted Thompson should be doing more and you're some idiot who blathers on and on, meanwhile, teams that use a varied approach and actually win a lot of rings shouldn't be brought up because our approach brings us to division championships as if that's some justification it works so well.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Your theory is that Ted Thompson doesn't maximize the team around the "all world" qb Aaron Rodgers. You claim Ted Thompson is wasting away Rodgers prime. Think back to how Rodgers performed against San Fran two years ago and how he performed against Seattle last year. That team last year had more than enough talent to win the Super Bowl. All the "all world" qb had to do was have an average game against the Seahawks and the Packers would of took home the Lombardi last year.

I love Rodgers as much as the next Packers fan but he hasn't helped his prime by how he has performed in the playoffs the last couple years.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago
I have. The Niners DL ate our OL's lunch those years. Our D was also terrible vs. SF in case you've forgotten. Hyde drops a game ending INT in the one game it actually held up okay.

As for Seattle, their secondary was WAY better than our Cobb, Nelson, RICHARD RODGERS/ANDREW QUARLESS, Rookie Adams WR's. It would've been nice if we had a HC who knew Richard Sherman was injured. Yeah, Rodgers is to blame...he's playing on one leg vs. the best D in the NFL with no legit TE or 3rd WR. Pin it on him because it fits with Ted Thompson being all world as a GM. The one SB we did win was due to Rodgers playing out of his mind.

There is NO excuse not to add a difference maker to this team but keep making them. Draft and develop us right to one SB appearance in the Rodgers era.

UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (4h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (6h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (7h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (9h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (21h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.