mi_keys
8 years ago

Oh, his lack of going for it in free agency is the exact opposite of "baseless" but you can think otherwise if you wish.

Ted Thompson is not going all out or "all in" as it were in each individual season. I know you think he does.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Lol.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Barfarn
8 years ago

I do indict him for failing to maximize the situation - being so extreme in his dedication to "draft and develop" that he hasn't put the best team he could have on the field to support his superstar.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I just dont understand what leads to this thinking. Ted Thompson has a chance to get a FA or make a trade that will help the team and He doesn't do it? ReallY?

We finally have UFFDA saying, he's not in favor of signing a bunch of FAs. This is UFFDA admitting FA dont work!!!!!!!!!

If 1 or 2 FAs is good, would not the more be better? If I can go out and get a Stud FA like I can get a Whopper at Burger King; then why wouldn't I get 3 or 5 or 20? Teams that go out and get 1 or 2 FAs/yr hurt themselves; teams that go out and get 5-6-7, really hurt themselves. It's only in the latter scenario that it becomes obvious how utter BS that free agency is as a tool to improve. 70-80% failure rate [30-40% disastrous failure rate]!

Imagine this: in 2012, lets say Ted Thompson learns at end of season that MD Jennings and McMillin at Safety were the cause of not going to SB; but he has the ability to go back time and now he just needs to get that one safety stud and we win. So he reworks some contracts and picks the best: Goldsen. Well guess what? We still lose, because Goldsen ain't appreciably better than MDK or MaC and we still dont go to SB; but now we cant sign a Cobb or a Bulaga because of the Goldsen signing. Sometimes doing nothing is the best move one can make.

Its all words to saying, "TT should just get a coupe of stud FAs." Words that cant get put into reality even if a GM has access to a time machine.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

"We'll never get to the ultimate destination."

Never? Really?

I have to ask?

Were you in a medically induced coma when Aaron drove away with that sick Chevrolet Camaro for being the MVP after reaching the ultimate destination?

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride 

Our SB win was more aberrant than the lack of a trip last season.

As to Barfarn... I don't like the idea of overpaying a bunch of middling scrubini FA's. That's plain stupid. I want to see us add guys who can play. Pay for play. I'm also very keen on trading draft picks for proven stars. Minnesota did that with Jared Allen...do you think they lamented the picks they gave up for him? Oh, of course, there was Herschel Walker, too.

Ted doesn't step to the plate ever to hit a homerun. Should you step up there every single time to jack one out of the park? No. However, there are times when you should/need to...and when those times come Ted will just calmly step up and try for a bunt single.

In order to redirect this, how many would refer to Ted Thompson as "aggressive" vs. "calm, cool and collected"? This is football...a game of emotions. It drives fans crazy to see our team play not to lose and not aggressively seek winning on the field so why should you be championing that exact approach in Ted Thompson when you hate it in MM? It makes no sense. Give me an aggressive GM and aggressive HC. Play to win...all out. That's not what Ted Thompson does and I can't wait to read how I'm just rambling and wrong.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Barfarn
8 years ago

I'm also very keen on trading draft picks for proven stars. Minnesota did that with Jared Allen...do you think they lamented the picks they gave up for him?

They're too stupid to lament the dumbest thing a GM can do in this era. There is only one way to win..ONE WAY...ya got to have a bunch of 1st contract studs. Trading multiple picks for one guy who even plays at an all pro level is stupid. It reduces greatly the odds of developing 1st contract studs.

understand Aaron Rodgers playing great making 20M is not ANYWHERE NEAR as valuable as Aaron Rodgers playing great making 4M per.

It's the mistake Ted Thompson critics repeatedly make; they just refuse to see it. maybe this will help: Signing Peppers costs GB, EG, James Jones, Tramon and House and his cap or dead cap money if cut will cost another player or 2 next year. So you BETTER get a guy that produces AND is a great lockerroom guy because signing these guys weaken 2-3-4 position groups.

And on top of this you give up a first and two thirds [Like for Allen]? it's stupefyingly dumb.

Well the Chiefs got Brandon Albert and J. Charles, and could have gotten Avril w/the other third, plus fortified 2-3-4 position groups by NOT having to pay Allen. The Chiefs unequivocally won he deal by a LONG LONG way. They got Albert and Charles for 4 yrs each CHEAP; thus allowing then to fortify even more position groups. Trading Allen probably netted KC 8-10 wins over the next 4 years and cost Minn 10-18 wins.

Seattle trading a 1st for Graham [and losing and taking a 2.2M cap hit for Unger] and taking Clark w/ their first pick shows absolute desperation!!!! Schneider will never GM again after he's run out of Seattle.
nerdmann
8 years ago

Our SB win was more aberrant than the lack of a trip last season.

Disagree.

We were robbed in '09 and we shit ourselves last year.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
QCHuskerFan
8 years ago

They're too stupid to lament the dumbest thing a GM can do in this era. There is only one way to win..ONE WAY...ya got to have a bunch of 1st contract studs. Trading multiple picks for one guy who even plays at an all pro level is stupid. It reduces greatly the odds of developing 1st contract studs.

understand Aaron Rodgers playing great making 20M is not ANYWHERE NEAR as valuable as Aaron Rodgers playing great making 4M per.

It's the mistake Ted Thompson critics repeatedly make; they just refuse to see it. maybe this will help: Signing Peppers costs GB, EG, James Jones, Tramon and House and his cap or dead cap money if cut will cost another player or 2 next year. So you BETTER get a guy that produces AND is a great lockerroom guy because signing these guys weaken 2-3-4 position groups.

And on top of this you give up a first and two thirds [Like for Allen]? it's stupefyingly dumb.

Well the Chiefs got Brandon Albert and J. Charles, and could have gotten Avril w/the other third, plus fortified 2-3-4 position groups by NOT having to pay Allen. The Chiefs unequivocally won he deal by a LONG LONG way. They got Albert and Charles for 4 yrs each CHEAP; thus allowing then to fortify even more position groups. Trading Allen probably netted KC 8-10 wins over the next 4 years and cost Minn 10-18 wins.

Seattle trading a 1st for Graham [and losing and taking a 2.2M cap hit for Unger] and taking Clark w/ their first pick shows absolute desperation!!!! Schneider will never GM again after he's run out of Seattle.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Barfan,
I lost count. How many SB did the Vikings win with their successful strategy of trading for Allen?
Let's not forget how dominating the Bears DL was once they signed Allen as a FA!

Hehehehe
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Barfan,
I lost count. How many SB did the Vikings win with their successful strategy of trading for Allen?
Let's not forget how dominating the Bears DL was once they signed Allen as a FA!

Hehehehe

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan 

How many SB's were the Chiefs in?

Do you think the Vikings regret the Allen trade? Nope...they'd make it over and over and over again.

I do agree about 1st contract players vs. MULTIPLE FA"s.

What no comment on the aggressive vs. calm cool and collected and fans on this very site lamenting us playing to lose and not to win...which is exactly TT's style of management. No aggression whatsoever. None.

I feel like this Packers team is like the Dungy led Bucs...it needs a healthy dose of Gruden aggression to get it over the hump but it ain't gonna get it.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

mi_keys
8 years ago

What no comment on the aggressive vs. calm cool and collected and fans on this very site lamenting us playing to lose and not to win...which is exactly TT's style of management. No aggression whatsoever. None.

I feel like this Packers team is like the Dungy led Bucs...it needs a healthy dose of Gruden aggression to get it over the hump but it ain't gonna get it.

So in this alternate universe, did Dungy already win a title in Tampa Bay?

And no one has bothered to comment on your statement because it's nonsense. You're effectively saying, you guys hate the prevent defense so why don't you want more free agents? The two (approach to roster building and game day philosophy) are unrelated. People like what they think is effective (whether they are right or not is another matter). Some here think a conservative approach to roster building is the best way to win titles. Some of those people hate sitting on leads in game. In no way are those two perspectives mutually exclusive.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

LT: 4th round pick
LG: 4th round pick
C: 5th round pick
RG: 4th round pick
RT: 1st round pick

Ted Thompson doesn't know how to draft offensive linemen? Maybe those who whine about blowing 1st round picks on OL every year can close their pie hole. 😝

UserPostedImage
QCHuskerFan
8 years ago

LT: 4th round pick
LG: 4th round pick
C: 5th round pick
RG: 4th round pick
RT: 1st round pick

Ted Thompson doesn't know how to draft offensive linemen? Maybe those who whine about blowing 1st round picks on OL every year can close their pie hole. 😝

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Well, but they didn't all start their rookie year. It took time for some of them to..... wait for it.... Develop!

😁
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.