PackerTraxx
8 years ago
It's quite understandable that Boykin had more trust from the staff than Janis. Janis quite clearly has much more of an upside but small college to the pros is a huge jump. I expect to see a huge jump, after having a year in the program, from Janis this year.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
nerdmann
8 years ago

Quite true, but we (myself included here) always seem eager to drop the returning guy in favor of the unknown guy. In this case, both are actually unknown.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I love Abbrederis, I still hope he makes it.

But this MOntgomery kid has skills.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackerTraxx
8 years ago
I wouldn't be surprised to see six wide receivers on the team and two on the practice squad, if someone else doesn't grab them. I see a good dose of 5 wide coming this year, at least that is my hope.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
uffda udfa
8 years ago
Unless there's injury to either Abby, Janis or our "Big 3" I would all but guarantee 6 WR's make this team, and possibly 7.

Montgomery is a lock...he makes 4 locks. We didn't want to lose Janis on the PS so we rostered him, so I can't see how he doesn't make it again. He makes 5. I'm sure the org felt they got a steal in Abbrederis and want to see what he has to offer, so I can't see him going. That's 6.

Are we really going to cut a guy like Pinkard or Coxson if they light it up in pre-season? I'd rather have 7 WR's and have Montgomery/Cobb as the emergency RB's than to lose a STUD WR. Jordy is closing toward his end. A few more and he's done.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
I also wouldn't mind keeping 7 WRs. Didn't we keep 5 WRs and 5 TEs a couple of years ago? So 7 WRs and 3 TEs is not out of line at all.

The thing that got me about Janis - and various other seemingly talented young players - Jayrone Elliot comes to mind the most - is that talented young players on other teams, particularly wideouts, don't get basically red-shirted. They get their experience on the field. McCarthy and the Packers are exceptionally prone to being overly cautious that way.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
gbguy20
8 years ago

I also wouldn't mind keeping 7 WRs. Didn't we keep 5 WRs and 5 TEs a couple of years ago? So 7 WRs and 3 TEs is not out of line at all.

The thing that got me about Janis - and various other seemingly talented young players - Jayrone Elliot comes to mind the most - is that talented young players on other teams, particularly wideouts, don't get basically red-shirted. They get their experience on the field. McCarthy and the Packers are exceptionally prone to being overly cautious that way.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

We did carry an obscene amount of TEs not too long ago.
Bigbyfan
8 years ago
I just read that Janis got some time with 1s today. Even capped off a 2 minute drill with a TD catch from Rodgers.
blank
greengold
8 years ago

We did carry an obscene amount of TEs not too long ago.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I think they carried 5 one year. Of course that was with only 2 QBs, 1 FB, and probably only 7 O-linemen.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out but I think they keep 3 QBs and possibly 2 FBs putting roster spots at a premium.

Barfarn
8 years ago

Thanks for the link hahahaha. It's hard to believe he - an NFL coach judging talent - could have concluded that Boykin was better - or doing better.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Here’s some of the things Janis needs to get down before he can play effectively, the measurables/talent are only 10% of being a WR:

1. Where he has to go whether WR is playing r, h, x, y or z.

2. The time he needs to be at a certain spot [EG if he's third read in progression, he often will need to delay his move for separation to a certain spot and/or time].

3. How 1 and 2 change depending on the alignment of the D [After a play is called, routes often change depending on whether, EG, the D shows, EG, a cover 0, 1, 2 or 3 look].

4. How 1 and 2 change if D makes pre-snap adjustments [The D may show, EG, a cover 2 and then drop a safety in box, this will often change the routes of the WRs].

5. How 1 and 2 change if D adjusts after snap [The D may show, EG, a Cover 2 and then at the snap transition to a Cover 3 by dropping a safety into the hook zone, this will often change the routes of the WRs].

6. How 1 and 2 change if there's a blitz [If the D blitzes of routes are shortened and or otherwise adjusted and this may have several variable depending whether the blitzer is a CB, a S, a LB and/or whether a DLman drops into coverage].

7. When running his route the way the CB plays him can change whether he does, EG, a stop and go, aback shoulder, dig, come back, etc.

8. Often the after snap movement of the safety will similarly cause an alteration of the route.

9. If Aaron Rodgers audibles to run, WR needs to know his blocking assignment and this can change depending on the alignment, last second shift or unexpected movement of D after snap.

ETC.

After getting all this down, Janis needs to understand what Aaron Rodgers sees and when. EG, if the play calls for Janis to set up for a back shoulder if CB stays on top and flips his hips, Janis needs to process EXACTLY WHEN Aaron Rodgers will see this movement. If Aaron Rodgers is looking for the flip in 1.5 seconds and Janis not seeing the flip at 1 second runs a go; the play fails.

If Janis runs his route wrong, it probably will sabotage the entire play. The route trees and progressions are designed to account for the D’s reaction. EG, Read one slant left is jumped by box safety; read two TE deep right seem is doubled by CB and deep safety; read three Janis on shallow cross needing only to beat CB that had outside leverage and should be wide open. But if Janis aint there or not there at the appropriate time, Aaron Rodgers takes a hit from the DL. The entire play is sabotaged by one wrong route.

And then there’s the obvious like Cobb in champ game; where Cobb curled up instead of continuing his shallow cross and Maxwell INTed.

The coaches work w/ these guys every day. Over a period of time Janis gets reps w/ various QBs in camp and probably a few from AR. The tape is broken down, he's assigned a grade and it is explained what he did wrong/right on each play. Note: he doesn't have to get ball to be graded on his route running.

Over several other periods of time, he gets X # more reps and the same grading is done...and this occurs probably 1x per week each week.

If during one week Janis ran 38 of 40 routes perfect for Flynn, Aaron Rodgers would develop trust. And he get more reps w/ AR. Remember practice time is limited; each rep is precious and most cant be used on a guy who's not gonna play.

Bennett can even test him as they're walking to the parking lot [Jeff you're playing "H in 2x2" in a flip left double-Z Omaha jet 619 619 Blue five Z Thirds naked waggle on 2 and the Will moves to LOS 2 feet outside of weakside T; explain your route reads and adjustments on those reads"]. ESPN reported that when questioned like this Janis would routinely clutch his left arm, drop to ground and fake a heart attack-LOL j/k of course].

Now, it gets very simple, if Janis dont get this in practice he's not going to play; if he gets it in practice he will play. He may even play if his acumen is slightly below another WR; but his charted grades are improving steadily upward at a more rapid rate.

Note: Mike McCarthy said Janis' catch radius was not that good as well. This means the ball has to be more perfect than for other WRs to catch the ball. This becomes really critical on shorter inside routes, where the less than perfect pass instead of being caught by Jordy or Cobb bounces off Janis hands for an INT.

And as has been mentioned, even if Janis is a little better than WR #4; but WR 4 is better at special teams, Janis sits.
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
My main agenda in starting this thread was to complain a little bit about the lack of use of Janis last season and to express the STRONG hope that situation will be remedied this year with the coaching changes on offense.

I hear crap about Janis can't play because he went to a small college, etc.. A lot of small colleges play just as sophisticated passing offense as major colleges - and some major colleges play less.

Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and Terrell Owens all came from small or mid-major colleges, not to mention Greg Jennings. I don't remember any of them getting extended periods of inactivity for games. Other teams tend to let their rookies get experience on the field, not the bench.

The whole long laundry list in the previous post of what Janis can't do/needs to learn/whatever strikes me as nothing more than lame excuses. What Janis showed on the field in limited playing time in the preseason belies these "can'ts" and "needs". At very least, his speed and size should have made him an asset on special teams.

I'm generally satisfied with McCarthy's coaching, although he'd have to be pretty bad to not win with Aaron Rodgers playing. Just the same, this aspect - slowness to put young players on the field/seniority system/whatever is a hole in his game. Janis is far from the only case of that. Elliot, Tolzien, Barrington early on, maybe Goodson if he really has some talent, maybe Pennell, Starks early in his career, etc.

The few exceptions to this tendency have been fairly successful - Bakhtiari and Linsley (and O Line supposedly requires more learning that WR or most defensive positions), Richard Rodgers etc.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (10h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.