nerdmann
8 years ago

My main agenda in starting this thread was to complain a little bit about the lack of use of Janis last season and to express the STRONG hope that situation will be remedied this year with the coaching changes on offense.

I hear crap about Janis can't play because he went to a small college, etc.. A lot of small colleges play just as sophisticated passing offense as major colleges - and some major colleges play less.

Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and Terrell Owens all came from small or mid-major colleges, not to mention Greg Jennings. I don't remember any of them getting extended periods of inactivity for games. Other teams tend to let their rookies get experience on the field, not the bench.

The whole long laundry list in the previous post of what Janis can't do/needs to learn/whatever strikes me as nothing more than lame excuses. What Janis showed on the field in limited playing time in the preseason belies these "can'ts" and "needs". At very least, his speed and size should have made him an asset on special teams.

I'm generally satisfied with McCarthy's coaching, although he'd have to be pretty bad to not win with Aaron Rodgers playing. Just the same, this aspect - slowness to put young players on the field/seniority system/whatever is a hole in his game. Janis is far from the only case of that. Elliot, Tolzien, Barrington early on, maybe Goodson if he really has some talent, maybe Pennell, Starks early in his career, etc.

The few exceptions to this tendency have been fairly successful - Bakhtiari and Linsley (and O Line supposedly requires more learning that WR or most defensive positions), Richard Rodgers etc.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I like his potential, but I'm not ready to anoint Janis to the level of Jerry Rice, Randy MOss and Terrell Owens just yet. Let's see the dude prove he's that good first.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Barfarn
8 years ago

I hear crap about Janis can't play because he went to a small college, etc.. A lot of small colleges play just as sophisticated passing offense as major colleges - and some major colleges play less.

Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and Terrell Owens all came from small or mid-major colleges, not to mention Greg Jennings. I don't remember any of them getting extended periods of inactivity for games. Other teams tend to let their rookies get experience on the field, not the bench.

The whole long laundry list in the previous post of what Janis can't do/needs to learn/whatever strikes me as nothing more than lame excuses. What Janis showed on the field in limited playing time in the preseason belies these "can'ts" and "needs". At very least, his speed and size should have made him an asset on special teams.

The “laundry list of excuses” provides perspective on what every GB WR has to do mentally BEFORE he can effectively use any of his physical skills. Obviously if Janis wowed even one scout w/ his understanding of offenses and route running he would have been picked before 7th. And think about this, R. Rodgers had to learn all this AND the run blocking AND pass protection schemes; his progress is 2014 was stunning! But he went to Cal.

Remember there’s big schools [Like Cal], small schools and then really small schools...SVSC is not in the same class as even G. Jennings’ Western Michigan. WMU’s staff and support personnel is 2-3 times the size of SVSC’s and the coaches probably get paid 2x as much. SVSC may try to run pro offenses; but if they had any success, the coaches would bolt for greener pastures. And all the guys from “small schools” mentioned were drafted high, which means they all showed greater football acumen than Janis; Moss, might be an exception, but he was the most physically gifted WR God ever made, too bad he was a head case.

Adams had a huge head start at Fresno learning NFL schemes and route running from Schramm/Antoine over Janis at SVSC learning from Collins/Fodrocy and Adams wowed at least 1 GB scout with his football acumen; this is what permitted Adams to remain ahead of Janis on depth chart. The 2014 good health of our WRs prevented us from learning more about Janis. GB probably focused his learnin’ on either the X or the Z and if Nelson went down late in season we’d have learned more of his progress. If they called up and played Myles White ahead of Janis; that would not have been a good sign.

Nothing positive Mike McCarthy says of a player means much, what does mean a lot is that Janis was on the roster all year! It must be pretty scary for other teams to imagine defending GB w/ huge 2nd yr mental leaps by Adams, Janis, R.Rodgers and Abby.
Cheesey
8 years ago
I'm excited about the prospects at WR this year. I HOPE Abberderis can stay healthy for a change. He had that same problem at Wisconsin. And Janis, I don't know much about, but from what I have heard (Mostly here) he seems like a great possibility.

When we lost Jennings AND James Jones I admit, I was scared. But for whatever reason, the Packers seem to be able to pull good WR's out of the draft.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago
Ironically, Janis had a higher wonderlic score than Richard Rodgers. RR checked in with a 22. JJ had a 23 and then 32 on his second attempt.

Janis may be a loose canon. He might be one of those guys who is so full of himself because he was a big fish in a little pond. He does have some very unique measurables and I'm sure he's aware of it.

Perhaps, the Packers needed to humble him a little before he's ready to take the field for us.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Cheesey
8 years ago

Ironically, Janis had a higher wonderlic score than Richard Rodgers. RR checked in with a 22. JJ had a 23 and then 32 on his second attempt.

Janis may be a loose canon. He might be one of those guys who is so full of himself because he was a big fish in a little pond. He does have some very unique measurables and I'm sure he's aware of it.

Perhaps, the Packers needed to humble him a little before he's ready to take the field for us.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

True. Attitude can be a big determination on just how good a guy can be. It's good to be confident, but thinking that you are "all that" can hurt your developement.
Hopefully Nelson and Cobb can knock him down to earth and teach him a few things on how to handle yourself.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
8 years ago
I find it difficult to understand how a player could get a "big head" when he's not even starting, much less hardly playing. But I guess it can happen. Luckily this is all conjecture.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
uffda udfa
8 years ago

I find it difficult to understand how a player could get a "big head" when he's not even starting, much less hardly playing. But I guess it can happen. Luckily this is all conjecture.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

Yeah, it is all conjecture... Janis seems cocky to me, though. Just my observation and speculation.

It isn't easy not to get a big head...it happens to posters on forums like these as well.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
8 years ago

Yeah, it is all conjecture... Janis seems cocky to me, though. Just my observation and speculation.

It isn't easy not to get a big head...it happens to posters on forums like these as well.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

WTF has he done to come across as cocky? Get activated for three games? lol
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago

The “laundry list of excuses” provides perspective on what every GB WR has to do mentally BEFORE he can effectively use any of his physical skills. Obviously if Janis wowed even one scout w/ his understanding of offenses and route running he would have been picked before 7th. And think about this, R. Rodgers had to learn all this AND the run blocking AND pass protection schemes; his progress is 2014 was stunning! But he went to Cal.

Remember there’s big schools [Like Cal], small schools and then really small schools...SVSC is not in the same class as even G. Jennings’ Western Michigan. WMU’s staff and support personnel is 2-3 times the size of SVSC’s and the coaches probably get paid 2x as much. SVSC may try to run pro offenses; but if they had any success, the coaches would bolt for greener pastures. And all the guys from “small schools” mentioned were drafted high, which means they all showed greater football acumen than Janis; Moss, might be an exception, but he was the most physically gifted WR God ever made, too bad he was a head case.

Adams had a huge head start at Fresno learning NFL schemes and route running from Schramm/Antoine over Janis at SVSC learning from Collins/Fodrocy and Adams wowed at least 1 GB scout with his football acumen; this is what permitted Adams to remain ahead of Janis on depth chart. The 2014 good health of our WRs prevented us from learning more about Janis. GB probably focused his learnin’ on either the X or the Z and if Nelson went down late in season we’d have learned more of his progress. If they called up and played Myles White ahead of Janis; that would not have been a good sign.

Nothing positive Mike McCarthy says of a player means much, what does mean a lot is that Janis was on the roster all year! It must be pretty scary for other teams to imagine defending GB w/ huge 2nd yr mental leaps by Adams, Janis, R.Rodgers and Abby.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

What's the excuse gonna be if they WASTE a healthy Abbrederis for a year? Or Montgomery? Other teams don't do that. All that gobbledegook about what "Packer receivers need to learn"? The same shit doesn't apply to other teams with young receivers? Come on!

Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
8 years ago

What's the excuse gonna be if they WASTE a healthy Abbrederis for a year? Or Montgomery? Other teams don't do that. All that gobbledegook about what "Packer receivers need to learn"? The same shit doesn't apply to other teams with young receivers? Come on!

First of all, other teams don't run the WCO, or I should say the Run and Shoot. Secondly, other teams don't have the same track record of brining in these raw players and developing them like we do.

Janis has to do more than just learn the play book. He's gotta learn to run routes, go up for the ball, get open, etc.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
38m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.