toronto_cheesehead
15 years ago

Harrell is a huge dude. He could be the NT if he stays healthy.

"JNelson87" wrote:

There was talk about him being a 34 DE in his draft year, so maybe we shed him back down to around 300 pounds and use him there. Maybe carrying less weight will help him out health wise too.
blank
djcubez
15 years ago

"toronto_cheesehead" wrote:

There was talk about him being a 34 DE in his draft year, so maybe we shed him back down to around 300 pounds and use him there. Maybe carrying less weight will help him out health wise too.

"JNelson87" wrote:

It's funny, the more and more I hear about this 3-4 defense the more I think that Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson has this in planning before this year...
Dulak
15 years ago
So what do the 3 men down do in a 3-4? Basically stuff the run? shut the gaps down and take the runner out of the middle there?

So our OLBs either take out the runner on their side of the ball - take up screens and/or short passes and of course QB rush.

I bet well have kampman as a OLB (big but too small for a downline man in a 3-4). Perhaps they will use him as a OLB/DE kind of a mix depending on what our new DC calls for.

Then we just need another prime OLB/DE type of guy. Orankpo (ya spelling) or suggs or peppers. I woudl be extatic if we got 2 of the 3 above.
We got enough LBs atm to cover what we need.

Perhaps we can get away with not having to FA/draft a big NT and just use pickett or Colin. I always liked how jenkins played so hes a for sure downline man DE.

Id expect them to pick up 1-2 decent O guys also.
We seem to have enough WRs and TEs and enough RBs (Kuhn as a FB seemed to work well when they used him on occasion).

Dont know where else they would fill out the O besides the line. They would have to spend too much to get a RB better then grant/jackson
Since69
15 years ago

It's funny, the more and more I hear about this 3-4 defense the more I think that Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson has this in planning before this year...

"djcubez" wrote:

I kinda get the same feeling. Remember how confused we were when we cut Tracy White? We did it so we could move Danny Lansanah to the active roster to keep the Tuna from stealing him for Miami. We all know how much Tuna loves the 3-4...

Lansanah's got the right size (6-1, 250-ish) for a pass-rush LB. And good speed, if I remember the preseason correctly...
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
How dare you guys make these base allegations of competence and foresight when it's transparently obvious to everyone Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson haven't the faintest clue what they're doing? 😃
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
Still seems everyone thinks that Dline in the 3-4 has to be a bunch of hogs. When the truth is, they don't. Many running the 3-4 are smaller than the theoretical 340 lb beast at NT with big DE's. Players ability is more important than size. lining up 3-300 lbers that are strong and quick pose more of a difficulty for the O than a 340 that is just there to be a stump.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Pack93z
15 years ago

Still seems everyone thinks that Dline in the 3-4 has to be a bunch of hogs. When the truth is, they don't. Many running the 3-4 are smaller than the theoretical 340 lb beast at NT with big DE's. Players ability is more important than size. lining up 3-300 lbers that are strong and quick pose more of a difficulty for the O than a 340 that is just there to be a stump.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Agreed, but when I say the man in the middle has to be a beast, I mean that he has got to have the proper attitude and demeanor to play the position.. I remember when Jurko used to piss and moan about getting chipped and chopped in two directions in the two gap 4-3 we played in the early 90's.. that is nothing compared to lining up straight over the center and having the hits come from either side.. takes a "beast" of a man to anchor the nose.

Need to have a certain amount of pissedoffness to play it.. and take pride in just doing your job. The media and stats aren't going to tell the real story.. team first attitude.

And if the guy isn't going to be a space eater and chew up blocks, you better have a couple of backers in the middle that can shed blocks and plug.. we seem to be short in that area currently. I think Hawk is still waiting for the back to get to him, that is when he isn't blocked. :lol:
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Agreed, but when I say the man in the middle has to be a beast, I mean that he has got to have the proper attitude and demeanor to play the position.. I remember when Jurko used to piss and moan about getting chipped and chopped in two directions in the two gap 4-3 we played in the early 90's.. that is nothing compared to lining up straight over the center and having the hits come from either side.. takes a "beast" of a man to anchor the nose.

Need to have a certain amount of pissedoffness to play it.. and take pride in just doing your job. The media and stats aren't going to tell the real story.. team first attitude.

And if the guy isn't going to be a space eater and chew up blocks, you better have a couple of backers in the middle that can shed blocks and plug.. we seem to be short in that area currently. I think Hawk is still waiting for the back to get to him, that is when he isn't blocked. :lol:

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Also remember that Jurko was the NT before switching to the 4-3 also. That is why I think Kampman could be a force at DE in the 3-4 because of his attitude and work ethic. Jenkins will be a great DE also, and getting Harrell to be healthy for a year, could be the beast at NT.

Also if you watch NT does not always line up over center. Ngata was lining up at DE for Baltimore a lot. Pulling the double to 1 side making the opposite side have to deal with two DEs and the blitzing LBer.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

"toronto_cheesehead" wrote:

"JNelson87" wrote:

Harrell, although listed at 320, might be closer to 310.

His "normal" playing weight in college was 310, and in his rookie year the Packers had him bulk upto 320.

At the end of the year, Harrell said he wasn't comfortable at 320, that he felt sluggish and uncomfortable at that playing weight.

Robert Nunn, then DT coach, also said at the end of Harrell's rookie year that the Packers were going to seriously consider having Harrell slim back down to 310, where he feels much more mobile and comfortable.

I'm not sure if that actually happened, it was reported Harrell was out of shape in the off-season, but I think he's much more closer to a 3-4 DE than a 3-4 NT.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

Do we have that guy? Pickett is the obvious choice, but what about Colin Cole? Justin Harrell? Johnny Jolly? Physically, we have several players who could fit the bill:

Pickett            6-2     330
Cole               6-1     330
Jolly              6-3     320
Harrell            6-4     320
Bledsoe (PS)       6-3     329

"Since69" wrote:

I've read from a couple of sources now that Pickett, while listed at 320, is actually in the 340-350 range.

I'm going to come out and say now that our two main NTs for next year are already on the roster. Pickett is one, and I believe Jolly is the other. I believe he has the body type of NT (clearly) but more importantly listing Jolly at 320 is being generous, too, IMO.

We'll need another NT body type, but I think can't see the Packers keeping more than 3 NTs next year. Two of which, IMO, are already on the roster. I'd lean towards the 3rd NT being a vet FA pick-up to help ease the transition. If we draft Raji, I think he'll be more of a 3-4 DE, at least in the early stages.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (12h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (19h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (19h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (19h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (19h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (19h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (19h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (19h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (20h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.