nerdmann
8 years ago
Tom Oates 

Of the players who took a snap on offense in a game the Packers dominated until the final minutes, only two — wide receiver Jarrett Boykin and tight end Brandon Bostick — are gone, and they played a combined seven downs. Other than Williams, who played all 70 downs, the only departed players who took snaps on defense against Seattle were linebacker A.J. Hawk and cornerback Jarrett Bush. They combined for only 18 plays.

Those numbers make one thing about this season crystal clear: Any improvement for the Packers is likely to come from within.

http://host.madison.com/sports/columnists/tom_oates/tom-oates-rise-of-five-veterans-critical-for-upcoming-season/article_24ca1584-03b8-5962-87d1-aa78fabe25b1.html#ixzz3doV1i2gc 

Hayward, he doesn't have to "rise" so much as stay healthy, imo. Davante, I think most of us agree that he's gonna be elite, Datone Jones, this guy DOES have to prove himself. Are the injuries just an excuse? It's been said elsewhere, time to put up or shut up for Datone AND Nick Perry.

The other two mentioned here are Barrington and Jayrone Elliot. I thought it was impressive that Perry didn't make the list. Far as I know, Elliot might need another year of development, but it sure would be sweet if he could take a huge step forward this year. Barrington just needs some playing time, imo.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
Finally a mention of JAYRONE ELLIOT.

The Packers are close enough to excellent now that no one or even five players are "critical" to getting even better. In fact, the names gone from last year bring to mind "addition by subtraction" - overall, the team is better without them - what would be a higher starting point even if nobody steps up - and of course, at least SOME of the newcomers and young veterans replacing those gone will step up.

I think Nick Perry may be in that category this season - a candidate to be gone, and we're better because of it. I'm getting near to thinking the same about Datone Jones, although I'll give him at least the preseason before coming to that conclusion. As for Hayward, I wish him well, and yeah, maybe he could have a great year, but honestly, I expect one or both of the new guys to pass him even if he stays healthy - a large if. Barrington had his breakout; I expect him to start and do well, but not to improve greatly from last season. Enough has been written about Davante - I'll just settle for "read what I said about Barrington".

The five I would select - or four other than ELLIOT - who I expect to break out and establish themselves: I will count RANDALL and ROLLINS as one; I bet at least one of them shows up very big - at the closest position we have to "critical". I'm gonna go way out on a limb and say THORNTON. If they use him at NT and give him half a chance, well, it sure wouldn't take much to beat out Raji and Guion and Pennell. THORNTON strikes me as just enough more mobile - kinda like Daniels, that we are way better off with him or somebody like him at the nose. HAHA CLINTON-DIX - as good as he did last year, I think he has the potential to do a lot better yet - maybe even star level. At the risk of restarting the firestorm hahahahaha, for the fifth choice, I'm gonna include the two-headed prospect, JANIS/ABBREDERIS. Given half a chance, and this year, I think they will get that, I expect one or the other or both to get more snaps by the end of the season than Davante Adams, and to break out to star quality. I do NOT expect this because of any backsliding of Adams, just because Janis and Abbrederis will prove to be that damn good.

No need for even one word about Ted Thompson - either pro or con hahahahaha. He's responsible for bringing us ALL these guys, both good and bad/breakouts or flops.

I could also include Scott Tolzien, who I see as an extreme improvement over Flynn, but if Tolzien has a break out season as anything more than a preseason monster/clipboard holder, we're all screwed, if you know what I mean.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
8 years ago

Finally a mention of JAYRONE ELLIOT.

The Packers are close enough to excellent now that no one or even five players are "critical" to getting even better. In fact, the names gone from last year bring to mind "addition by subtraction" - overall, the team is better without them - what would be a higher starting point even if nobody steps up - and of course, at least SOME of the newcomers and young veterans replacing those gone will step up.

I think Nick Perry may be in that category this season - a candidate to be gone, and we're better because of it. I'm getting near to thinking the same about Datone Jones, although I'll give him at least the preseason before coming to that conclusion. As for Hayward, I wish him well, and yeah, maybe he could have a great year, but honestly, I expect one or both of the new guys to pass him even if he stays healthy - a large if. Barrington had his breakout; I expect him to start and do well, but not to improve greatly from last season. Enough has been written about Davante - I'll just settle for "read what I said about Barrington".

The five I would select - or four other than ELLIOT - who I expect to break out and establish themselves: I will count RANDALL and ROLLINS as one; I bet at least one of them shows up very big - at the closest position we have to "critical". I'm gonna go way out on a limb and say THORNTON. If they use him at NT and give him half a chance, well, it sure wouldn't take much to beat out Raji and Guion and Pennell. THORNTON strikes me as just enough more mobile - kinda like Daniels, that we are way better off with him or somebody like him at the nose. HAHA CLINTON-DIX - as good as he did last year, I think he has the potential to do a lot better yet - maybe even star level. At the risk of restarting the firestorm hahahahaha, for the fifth choice, I'm gonna include the two-headed prospect, JANIS/ABBREDERIS. Given half a chance, and this year, I think they will get that, I expect one or the other or both to get more snaps by the end of the season than Davante Adams, and to break out to star quality. I do NOT expect this because of any backsliding of Adams, just because Janis and Abbrederis will prove to be that damn good.

No need for even one word about Ted Thompson - either pro or con hahahahaha. He's responsible for bringing us ALL these guys, both good and bad/breakouts or flops.

I could also include Scott Tolzien, who I see as an extreme improvement over Flynn, but if Tolzien has a break out season as anything more than a preseason monster/clipboard holder, we're all screwed, if you know what I mean.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

I'll mention RAJI as someone I expect to break out. He looked rejuvenated last year, pre-injury. This year he's gonna be re-re-juvinated and have a chip on his shoulder to prove himself.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackerTraxx
8 years ago
Plus it seems like they plan on leaving him at nose.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
nerdmann
8 years ago

Plus it seems like they plan on leaving him at nose.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

AND letting him penetrate and attack.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (18h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (19h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (22h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.