beast
8 years ago
I really like his insights. But he seems to believe the Packers feel like they have to keep all rookie draft picks, but it wouldn't be the first time a draft pick especially later ones haven't made the roster.

QB: By all reports I've read, Blanchard has clearly outplayed Hundley... if that continues and neither one is in the top 53 in the Packers minds, I could see them cut both and try to pass them through waivers and just put one of them on the PS.

RB: If fully healthy I think Rajion Neal will be making the final roster as the 3rd RB and wouldn't surprise to see him be the future #2 RB if Starks leaves via FA. I think the kid has a lot of potential and would of beat out Harris last year if not for the training camp injury.

TE: Perillo vs. Backman... I see as a battle of ready to go now but less potential vs higher potential later battle. And I think it will come down to how much potential Backman shows vs how much they value Perillo on STs. I think Backman will win, but tough call.

OL: If Lane Taylor hasn't improved some more, I might try to start looking else were. As he can only play OG, and got beat badly last year when given playing time (and OL blocking on FGs sucked for some reason last year when the Packers tried to rest injured Sitton and Lang on them). And both Tretter and Barclay (if healthy) can reportedly both play both OG positions and Center as well and maybe also OT. I would like to improve the back-up at LT. On the roster OT Vujnovich might be the best LT option that's not already on the list. But also keep an eye on OG Rotheram and OL Kowalski. Rotheram was part of a very good running OL on the right side in college but needs to work on his pass protection. Kowalski played RT in college, might not have the length or athletic skills to stay there both played very mean and looked like a pretty good mauler who did a very good job at finishing guys off when getting the chance to do so. I think he could be a good OG and maybe.... maybe... an a RT option like Barclay.

DL: He has Ringo over Pennell and Thornton? I think Pennell or Thornton will end up in the top 6. Packers haven't kept 7 DL since going go the 3-4 (other than a short period when they had 3 DL that were injured enough to miss games but not go on IR and they needed 4 healthy DL for a game) but I'm wondering if they might this year with Daniels, Raji and Guion all going into contract years and I'm thinking it's unlikely they're able to resign all 3 unless they have bad seasons (or get arrested for something) and come back cheap. But he bring up a very good point about Guion might be suspended for the first four games, but when are they going to get around to handing down punishments?

LB: Adrian Hubbard and Andy Mulumba as the 6th and 7th OLBers? Might make sense if they're moving Matthews to ILB full time. But I'm still not convinced they are doing it full time, I think they'll cut Hubbard or Mulumba for another defensive position other than OLB (like maybe DL, ILB, DB)

DB: Jean Fanor over Goodson is a very interesting call

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

I really like his insights. But he seems to believe the Packers feel like they have to keep all rookie draft picks, but it wouldn't be the first time a draft pick especially later ones haven't made the roster.

QB: By all reports I've read, Blanchard has clearly outplayed Hundley... if that continues and neither one is in the top 53 in the Packers minds, I could see them cut both and try to pass them through waivers and just put one of them on the PS.

Originally Posted by: beast 

No way they cut or expose Hundley.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
8 years ago

No way they cut or expose Hundley.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

But why? Because he's a 5th round pick? because he's a QB?

Reports are suggesting Hundley is clearly in 4th place of the QBs as of right now, if he's the 4th at his position that most teams recently have only been keeping 2 of, then is there really that big of a risk of him being claimed?

UserPostedImage
DoddPower
8 years ago

But why? Because he's a 5th round pick? because he's a QB?

Reports are suggesting Hundley is clearly in 4th place of the QBs as of right now, if he's the 4th at his position that most teams recently have only been keeping 2 of, then is there really that big of a risk of him being claimed?

Well probably because they think Hundley ultimately has a higher ceiling. Why keep a 3rd QB that you think has a lower overall ceiling than another QB? Even if they are playing better at this moment. In my opinion, the 3rd QB slot is strictly a developmental position. Some team would take a chance on Hundley. He has great potential, even if he never realizes it. Blancard will be lucky to be a good back-up at his best. Drafting Hundley in the 5th round pretty much guaranteed that the Packers will try to develop him for a couple years unless he just absolutely blows it, which is always a possibility I suppose, albeit unlikely. It's not JUST because he's a draft pick, it's because the Packers think he has the potential, which was reflected in their decision to draft him.
nerdmann
8 years ago

Well probably because they think Hundley ultimately has a higher ceiling. Why keep a 3rd QB that you think has a lower overall ceiling than another QB? Even if they are playing better at this moment. In my opinion, the 3rd QB slot is strictly a developmental position. Some team would take a chance on Hundley. He has great potential, even if he never realizes it. Blancard will be lucky to be a good back-up at his best. Drafting Hundley in the 5th round pretty much guaranteed that the Packers will try to develop him for a couple years unless he just absolutely blows it, which is always a possibility I suppose, albeit unlikely. It's not JUST because he's a draft pick, it's because the Packers think he has the potential, which was reflected in their decision to draft him.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Hundley had the potential to have gone much higher in the draft. In fact he was a bargain where he was taken. He's got a huge potential upside at a position at which many teams are desperate. Hell, Brohm got claimed off PS. LOL

Blanchard may be looking good in practice, but he's also got a significant concussion history. They know what they've got in him, he's been around. They've got as much film as they need.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago
Hundley ends up on IR if he doesn't make the starting 53. No way he is left on the PS.
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago
Unless Thornton gets his shit together I can definitely see him gone. He was lucky to get "injured" last year or he should have been cut last year. Frustrating wiff on a position that we can certainly have used a hit. I hope he proves me wrong, but right now he is proving all the negative chatter on this site the day he was drafted as being correct.
beast
8 years ago

Hundley had the potential to have gone much higher in the draft. In fact he was a bargain where he was taken. He's got a huge potential upside at a position at which many teams are desperate. Hell, Brohm got claimed off PS. LOL

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

And Brohm also had the potential to have gone much higher in the draft than Hundley, and he did. That shows how much having the potential to go much higher means... absolutely nothing!

Since Rodgers was drafted, every time the Packers draft a new QB fans suggest the new QB has huge potential upside and is worth developing and could be great trade bait in the future, but none of them have... other than Flynn they've all been complete bust. What makes Hundley different from all the others? He's new... and can run fast...

I don't see how that proves he's any more worth the 3rd QB developmental spot any more than QB Ingle Martin, another Packers 5th round QB who also ran a fast 40 time.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

And Brohm also had the potential to have gone much higher in the draft than Hundley, and he did. That shows how much having the potential to go much higher means... absolutely nothing!

Since Rodgers was drafted, every time the Packers draft a new QB fans suggest the new QB has huge potential upside and is worth developing and could be great trade bait in the future, but none of them have... other than Flynn they've all been complete bust. What makes Hundley different from all the others? He's new... and can run fast...

I don't see how that proves he's any more worth the 3rd QB developmental spot any more than QB Ingle Martin, another Packers 5th round QB who also ran a fast 40 time.

Ingle Martin was never a legit Heisman candidate.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (11h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.