Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Mike McCarthy recently signed an extension, so he's not going anywhere any time soon. I did think the same thing when Bo Ryan announced he was leaving and thought it'd be interesting if anyone else has thoughts on the subject. I think when Ted Thompson retires, Mike McCarthy will leave at the same time. Unless Eliot Wolf takes over for Thompson.

The question was recently raised with the sudden announcement of the impending retirement of Wisconsin Badgers head basketball coach Bo Ryan, about who would replace Green Bay Packers head Coach, Mike McCarthy, if he were to step down after the season? I thought that was an interesting issue to ponder, during the doldrums between OTAs and

LombardiAve  wrote:

UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
One bit of logic would say that both Ted and Mike retire when the Aaron Rodgers era ends. Maybe Vince will lobby God to send us a third installment of the World's Greatest Quarterback, but that would be a stretch to hope for.

I've been trying to think of a prospect as a successor, but nobody on the horizon now stands out among assistant coaches or players. The Board of Directors will probably go with some not real well known assistant coach from some other team who seems to be "Packer people" in a character sense.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
beast
8 years ago
Tom Clements
Dom Capers
Ron Zook
Alex Van Pelt
Joe Lombardi
Kyle Shanahan
or someone we wouldn't even normally think about...
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago
Please, nobody that is currently on his staff.

Hopefully, when Mike finally quits or gets fired Jim Harbaugh has had enough at Michigan. Really hoping MM's leaving and Harbaugh's situation at Michigan are synched up perfectly. That is who I want as HC.

Kirk Ferentz is another guy who I wouldn't mind seeing. Perhaps, all those years at Iowa have him ready to move to the pro game as a HC.

We're going to need a real HC when we no longer can live off having an all world QB. My goodness...imagine if we get a Mike Sherman or Mike McCarthy and don't have a Favre or a Rodgers. Welcome to the basement.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
8 years ago

One bit of logic would say that both Ted and Mike retire when the Aaron Rodgers era ends. Maybe Vince will lobby God to send us a third installment of the World's Greatest Quarterback, but that would be a stretch to hope for.

I've been trying to think of a prospect as a successor, but nobody on the horizon now stands out among assistant coaches or players. The Board of Directors will probably go with some not real well known assistant coach from some other team who seems to be "Packer people" in a character sense.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Edgar Bennett is the one who appears to me to be being groomed. I hope he has a good relationship with Eliot Wolf.

Bennett will need at least maybe 3 years as OC, so if disaster would strike before then, maybe Capers would be caretaker, although both Clements and Moss are "Assistant HC."

And btw, Hundley should be ready in about 3 years too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago

Edgar Bennett is the one who appears to me to be being groomed. I hope he has a good relationship with Eliot Wolf.

Bennett will need at least maybe 3 years as OC, so if disaster would strike before then, maybe Capers would be caretaker, although both Clements and Moss are "Assistant HC."

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I just can't see Aaron Rodgers being gone in3 years. He is 31, but he sat for a long time so his body should have a bit more in the tank. I could see him going till he is pushing 40 if he wants to. I guess the question ultimately comes down to whether he wants to. Give him a great OL and a stocked shelf of weapons. I gotta think he wants at least 1 more Lombardi before he retires. A couple of Lombardi's would get him in the conversation of greatest QB of all time. Not sure what he thinks about, but I have to think where he goes down in history must motivate him and he is no dummy that titles is what mostly will help his case.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Obviously the answer to who will succeed Mike McCarthy is whomever is the 49ers offensive coordinator when the Head Coach position becomes vacant.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

I just can't see Aaron Rodgers being gone in3 years. He is 31, but he sat for a long time so his body should have a bit more in the tank. I could see him going till he is pushing 40 if he wants to. I guess the question ultimately comes down to whether he wants to. Give him a great OL and a stocked shelf of weapons. I gotta think he wants at least 1 more Lombardi before he retires. A couple of Lombardi's would get him in the conversation of greatest QB of all time. Not sure what he thinks about, but I have to think where he goes down in history must motivate him and he is no dummy that titles is what mostly will help his case.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

He wants to play until 40, because he is obsessed with Bert's records, but his body already seems to be breaking down. I hope he does play that long at a high level, but I'm just trying to keep it real.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
8 years ago

Please, nobody that is currently on his staff.

Hopefully, when Mike finally quits or gets fired Jim Harbaugh has had enough at Michigan. Really hoping MM's leaving and Harbaugh's situation at Michigan are synched up perfectly. That is who I want as HC.

Kirk Ferentz is another guy who I wouldn't mind seeing. Perhaps, all those years at Iowa have him ready to move to the pro game as a HC.

We're going to need a real HC when we no longer can live off having an all world QB. My goodness...imagine if we get a Mike Sherman or Mike McCarthy and don't have a Favre or a Rodgers. Welcome to the basement.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Jim Harbaugh comes off as a jerk, and the 49ers refused to keep him despite him winning, seems like signs it might be good to stay away from him, unless you can control him, and the 49ers didn't feel like they could.

I like the Kirk Ferentz idea, but would worry if he's schemes might be too old school... like he is one of the few that still ask 4-3 OLBers to often cover WRs because he seems to believe in the base package as the game seems to be moving towards more and more subpackages. But the Iowa group does seem to be very good at developing lesser talented guys, including those OLBers because they're used to be asked more from them. But it sounds like Kirk might be extremely happy where he is and wants to stay put. But he did have a son work with the Patriots for a while, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a head coach someday.

UserPostedImage
sschind
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

What sort of disaster? If Mike McCarthy is gone before he decides he wants to leave chances are no one on the current staff would be around either. If he leaves for health reasons or personal reasons maybe someone would fill in but if its a performance issue they will all be gone, and that would have to be a heck of a disaster.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (8h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.