Bigbyfan
8 years ago

I'm not missing the point at all.

So, we wouldn't draft the next Calvin Johnson for fear he might cost us too much 4 or 5 years down the road?

We wouldn't want the next Adrian Peterson because he might be hard to retain?

Yes, that is a recipe for success????? Baffled.

Thank goodness we didn't do that with 12. Unless, our org miscalculated and only thought he would be good and thought he was merely good enough to move on from our HOF QB, we failed in drafting him. You all should be livid Aaron turned out great... now, we can't retain other positions because he's so freaking good.

I'm sure the solution would be to trade or cut him because we don't want this terrible problem hanging over our heads. It's unreal.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

You just keep twisting people's words around... Of course people would want the next Calvin Johnson. However, normal aren't gonna bitch about having having Jordy and Cobb as our top two players just because they aren't Calvin Johnson.
blank
uffda udfa
8 years ago

You just keep twisting people's words around... Of course people would want the next Calvin Johnson. However, normal aren't gonna bitch about having having Jordy and Cobb as our top two players just because they aren't Calvin Johnson.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

I twisted nobody's words... you have completely misinterpreted mine.

There is zero disappointment for having Jordy and Cobb. Randall Cobb is one of my all time favorite Green Bay Packers.

My issue is... we have nerd responding to an article praising our philosophy of getting good WR's by saying Davante is going to be elite when the article said we don't do that. We go for good guys we won't have to pay a ton to.

Further, the idea of NOT trying to get a guy with the talent of Dez Bryant is then praised as if it's some badge of honor that the Packers org goes for really good guys but doesn't want to draft a great one because it's too cheap to pay him. It is absolutely LUDICROUS. LUDICROUS.

What is being said is we're happy our org drafts good talent over great talent because if we drafted great talent we'd have cap problems. That doesn't work on any level...period. None. It's baffling. It's mind numbing. Yay, Packers! I hope we drafted a bunch of good guys! I hope Randall and Rollins and Ty and so on are just good players. Man, I'm just hoping none of them turn out to be elite or we'll have cap problems and then what will we do? Man, it sucks Rodgers turned out to be elite... now, we have to pay him so much. We'd be better off with a good QB over a great one.

Some of the oddest things I've ever read in my life are here sometimes. Voltaire... he was a smart smart man. GOOD is the ENEMY of GREAT. Learn what that means. Think about it. Meditate on it. You guys want a GOOD football team because it's less spendy. Wow. Just wow.

Here come the replies...that's just the reality of the cap era...can't be great...may as well just go for good. A bunch of Eeyore's for good on this site. Then, again, some are happy bragging about winning the division for a few years vs. winning SB's. I'm sure Seahawks fans are all amped up over winning their division and the conference last season. You guys are killing me. Killing me. Worst part of it all is you are HAPPY the way it is. It's unbelievable.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

musccy
8 years ago
I don't get what the point you're digging at is, it's like you want to fabricate a position you know nobody actually believes in.

Any Packers fan wants as many great players on the roster as humanly possible. If every draft pick becomes an All Pro, we wont afford them all. We're not going to pick as many of Mel Kiper's top picks by virtue of draft position the last 20 years but that doesn't mean later round picks like Sitton, Lacy, or Cobb can't become damn good players, or that we as fans are rooting against their ascension.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

I don't get what the point you're digging at is, it's like you want to fabricate a position you know nobody actually believes in.

Any Packers fan wants as many great players on the roster as humanly possible. If every draft pick becomes an All Pro, we wont afford them all. We're not going to pick as many of Mel Kiper's top picks by virtue of draft position the last 20 years but that doesn't mean later round picks like Sitton, Lacy, or Cobb can't become damn good players, or that we as fans are rooting against their ascension.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

You keep saying you really want Dez Bryant type talents on this team but you really don't because that scares you. You fear what it would do to our precious cap. I think that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You want each player at each position to have as close to Dez Bryant type talent as possible.

In fact, you just said it in the highlighted portion above. So, why are you asking what point I'm trying to make when you are clearly understanding it?

Now, I don't know this for a fact but I don't think there's another fan base in the NFL who would type such things. It seems Packers fans have been conditioned to want to have good players and a good team...but not great players and a great team and the big worry is the cap. I will ask... Are you upset Aaron Rodgers is as good as he is? Would you rather have more cap space and just a good QB?

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Bigbyfan
8 years ago

You keep saying you really want Dez Bryant type talents on this team but you really don't because that scares you. You fear what it would do to our precious cap. I think that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You want each player at each position to have as close to Dez Bryant type talent as possible.

In fact, you just said it in the highlighted portion above. So, why are you asking what point I'm trying to make when you are clearly understanding it?

Now, I don't know this for a fact but I don't think there's another fan base in the NFL who would type such things. It seems Packers fans have been conditioned to want to have good players and a good team...but not great players and a great team and the big worry is the cap. I will ask... Are you upset Aaron Rodgers is as good as he is? Would you rather have more cap space and just a good QB?

I can't say this is a fact, but I doubt there are many fans that are as spoiled as some Packers fans. For close to twenty years the Packers have had at least a legitimate shot to field a Super Bowl team. Yet there are still people who find every little reason to complain.

Some fans just choose to enjoy the team that we have. Can't fault them for not continuously acting like every little thing is going to be the team's downfall.
blank
uffda udfa
8 years ago

I can't say this is a fact, but I doubt there are many fans that are as spoiled as some Packers fans. For close to twenty years the Packers have had at least a legitimate shot to field a Super Bowl team. Yet there are still people who find every little reason to complain.

Some fans just choose to enjoy the team that we have. Can't fault them for not continuously acting like every little thing is going to be the team's downfall.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

Yes... that is absolutely true, the highlighted portion. Why? Why is that true? 20 years of ELITE QB play. No elite QB you aren't making this argument.

So, what is the answer in getting more SB's? Less ELITES or more ELITES? It's pretty simple but instead let's bemoan the idea of more elites because of what it'll do to our cap???????????????

You guys are amazing.

UserPostedImage

musccy
8 years ago
The pursuit of vs. the reality of having an "elite" player at every position are two separate things. If Ted can stock a Kuechly, Watt, and Calvin at every single position....kick ass, I'm on board, and who the hell wouldn't be? That said, how do you propose we afford a near max contract at every position?

I can't believe I'm wrapping myself up in such a silly conversation. If I make 65k a year, I'm not affording a 500k house on a lake, luxury car, and boat...but it doesn't mean I'm not pursuing the closest I can get to with all 3.

Zero2Cool
8 years ago

I would take that, too...but Rodgers is the elite in the equation.

What if you could have Aaron Rodgers and Calvin Johnson

or

Aaron Rodgers and Jordy Nelson????

That is the decision. I'll take Megatron, thank you. I'll leave it to the sentimentalists and the fan capologists to spin why they'd want really want Jordy instead.

Matthew Stafford is NOT an elite QB, he's just paid like one.

I would not want Calvin Johnson, period. An elite WR will not win you more games than an elite QB. An elite WR soaks up too much money.

Calvin Johnson - $20,558,000 cap hit for one season.
Jordy Nelson - $4,600,000 cap hit for one season.
Randall Cobb - $5,350,000 cap hit for one season.

Calvin 71 receptions 1,077 yards 8 TD's
Jordy 98 receptions 1,519 yards 13 TD's
Randall 91 receptions 1,287 yards 12 TD's

Calvin is vastly more talented than both Randall and Jordy, but I will take 189 receptions 2,806 yards and 25 TD's for under $10 million over 71 receptions 1,077 yards and 8 TD's for $20 million every single time.

Talent does not win you games. Production in the way of points does.
UserPostedImage
musccy
8 years ago
Well stated, Zero. To add to that, lets even take money out of the equation.

If given the these options...

1) 1 "elite" wr, 3 "average"
2) 3-4 "very good" wrs

If we're talking about just the WR position I'm still choosing option 2...not because I love mediocrity and division titles, but because I value what depth provides. What if your #1 is hurt? What if you're going against an elite corner who effectively negates your #1 WR? It's not that I wouldn't want an "elite" wr on the roster if it happened to work out that way, but I also wouldn't prioritize it as highly as QB, pass rusher, CB, and maybe one or two other positions.

I'd rather have an "elite roster".
uffda udfa
8 years ago
You guys have the right GM for your tastes...one who wants good players who don't take up much cap.

It's too bad we have an elite cap eating QB... I want you guys to be as happy as you can be.

Our defense is bereft of elite players. You should be in love with it.

EDIT: Oh, BTW...how many SB's do you think the Lions would've had Aaron Rodgers been on their roster in the Suh/Megatron era? Give us Stafford instead of Rodgers and we don't even win the division.
UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (5h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.