No problem. I'll take one for the team.
Cheesey
15 years ago

I hated it when i got cut too.

"IronMan" wrote:

So they cut the cheese?

"Cheesey" wrote:

And they call ME "Cheesey???"
I think i have spawned some "Cheesey wannabee's". :thumbright: LOLOLOL!!!
UserPostedImage
TengoJuego
15 years ago
I've never been cut in my life from a sport. I cant imagine the feeling of failure. As weird as that sounds.
Cheesey
15 years ago
Technically i never got cut either.........cause i never tried out for a team. I knew i wasn't good enough to even try.
UserPostedImage
gotarace
15 years ago

Technically i never got cut either.........cause i never tried out for a team. I knew i wasn't good enough to even try.

"Cheesey" wrote:

That why they invented bowling and tried to call it a sport Cheesey. :icon_smile:
Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
Cheesey
15 years ago

"gotarace" wrote:

That why they invented bowling and tried to call it a sport Cheesey. :icon_smile:

"Cheesey" wrote:

That may be true!
I was on the WTTC state championship team in the early 1990's, and i bowled a 300 game in 1999. I have been on several championship teams back when i bowled alot. I had a 197 average back then.
Hey.....some think thats easy. But i'd like to know how many here have ever bowled a perfect game! It's not easy.....believe me!!! :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
Another candid look from a former player now blogger..

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/08/chad-brown-on-getting-cut/ 

CHAD BROWN ON GETTING CUT
Posted by Mike Florio on September 8, 2008, 11:11 a.m. EDT

[Editors note: NFL veteran Chad Brown, a three-time Pro Bowler who played 15 seasons for the Steelers, Seahawks, and Patriors, offers up his own experiences on what its like to be released by an NFL team.]

At the Patriots team facility there is one entrance for players. Just inside, theres a small group of chairs and side tables. Almost every day during training camp, a scouting assistant sits in one of those chairs.

That scouting assistants job is to wait there and grab whatever player V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli or coach Bill Belichick wants to talk to.

Most of the time the meeting that takes place is about that players release. Almost every team in the league has a similar setup. For 13 years, I walked past that guy almost without a second thought. Sometimes, I wondered who was getting the bad news that day. But, most of the time, I just headed into the locker room and started to get ready for my day.

As I went forward in football from Pop Warner to high school to college then into the NFL, I sometimes thought about the guys who didnt make the next step in football with me. Football is so different than other sports in the respect that, your last play is really your last play. The last time you strap on the pads is the last time you strap on those pads for the rest of your life.

Any ex-high school basketball player can hit the local YMCA and, even at 50 years old, he can get a game. I play in a rec softball league, and most teams have one or two ex-minor league or college players who love to hear the crack of the bat (or run over Bette Midler at home plate). Football is different because there arent rec leagues or pick up games at the park. Once youre done, you are done. FOREVER! I often wondered about my high school friends who loved the game just as I did. Did they know after that last game that that was it for them? Did they have any idea that they would never play again? If they had realized it, would they have done something different? Played harder? Lifted more weights? Taken in a little more of the sights, the lights, the smells, the glory and privilege of playing this game?

One day, as I walked in the door that day, I could see the scout looking at me. Then I see him getting up out of his chair to talk to me! Oh sh*t! Im still trying to process my thoughts when he says, Chad, Scott and Bill need to see you.

Huh? I say.

Scott and Bill need to see you upstairs in Scotts office.

Wow, I thought, he was waiting for me. For 13 years I walked past this guy, and now its my turn.

Uh, OK, I mumble and head upstairs. (Well, actually, I took the elevator. At the Patriots facility, only Mr. Kraft uses the elevator. I thought, if Im getting cut, damnit, Im not taking the stairs. Thats right, Mr. Kraft, I took your elevator!)

Sit down, Chad, Scott says. Im still thinking this cant be real, can it? From All Pro teams and Pro Bowls and team MVPs to this?

We need to release you, Bill said in a very calm voice. I really dont remember much of what was said after that. You sit and listen, then you walk out and wonder what just happened, and what do I do next? Ive seen guys after being released head down to clean out their lockers and walk out with all their stuff in, get this, a garbage bag. I never understood how that felt before. Well, now I know. You feel like the stuff in that green bag. Very unwanted. Very disposable.

As a top-level player for most of my career, I never understood how the other side lived. After being cut, I felt their pain. You wonder if you will get the chance to play again. Was that preseason game my last one? Was that missed tackle my last play? Will I strap the pads on again? Before the cut my love of the game was selfish. It was based on how well I played, not on how well my team played; Ive walked out of the locker room after a 35-7 win pissed because I didnt get a sack or I didnt have 10 tackles.

Getting cut will snap you out of that real quick. After being cut youre just happy to have a job.

Getting cut also reminds you of just how special the game is. What an awesome privilege it is to play the great game of football. To have the chance to make 65,000 fans jump out of their seats, to hear the roar of the crowd after a big play, or to see fans wearing your jersey. Somehow getting cut makes all that even more special. Its too bad that you cant have the perspective when you are a young player, so you could really savor each moment of the great game of football.

I think only after getting cut and having your football life flash in front of your eyes do you really understand how lucky you were to play this great game of football, the amazing American pastime, at its highest level.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
gopackgo
15 years ago
Nice find 93, and great read.

Loved the elevator bit!
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (13m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.