uffda udfa
8 years ago
What a baptism by fire for Alex Van Pelt. In his first ever season as a WR coach his unit loses it's top gun.

There has to be concern that a guy who has never coached WR's in his life is now responsible for a stable of very young WR's. Compounding that is Clements is in a new role as OC, also. A lot of change was due to have some bugs and kinks in the beginning and now Jordy, who is arguably the most professional and stable of all the skill position guys, so I have to imagine another slow start is coming for us. Thankfully, we get the Bears first and should be able to handle them.

Do you have trust in AVP to get our young WR's ready given he has ZERO experience at the position? The guy was a former QB. I was surprised when they had him over running backs and then more surprised when they slid him over to WR.

This was an issue worth examining without losing Jordy but now it comes to the fore with SB aspirations here. Probably not the year to have these wild changes in coaching assignments. We probably need all the stability and experience we can find and we have a bunch of adjustments all over the staff and now no Jordy. Change can be good, but too much change is probably not ideal for us this year.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

luigis
8 years ago
Interesting point.

I think this is also a huge challenge for Tom Clements, and I think that having him Mike McCarthy not calling the plays is a good thing for us in the context of Jordy's injury. Mike McCarthy can take care of the strategic planning, personnel and other stuff while Tom is designing and installing the plays that will maximize the use of the talent that we have available.

Luis
sschind
8 years ago
I don't think having played the position is all that important to being a coach. We did pretty good as a WR group last year with an ex RB as the coach. I'm having trouble putting my thoughts into words so if this sounds stupid it may not be what I really mean. Coaching a position is more about knowing what to do than being able to do it and more importantly than that knowing how to teach other people what to do. If not the best coaches would be the ones who were the best players and we all know that isn't always the case.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

I don't think having played the position is all that important to being a coach. We did pretty good as a WR group last year with an ex RB as the coach. I'm having trouble putting my thoughts into words so if this sounds stupid it may not be what I really mean. Coaching a position is more about knowing what to do than being able to do it and more importantly than that knowing how to teach other people what to do. If not the best coaches would be the ones who were the best players and we all know that isn't always the case.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Oh, I agree with that...however, the fact that he's never done it despite how he might eventually be at it is a little disconcerting especially given he lost his most experienced WR. Guys new at anything make mistakes. We all make mistakes, period, but especially when we're inexperienced like AVP is at his new gig. Never liked Edgar in that WR role but he was a fine catching RB and he seemed sold out for Green Bay. 12 is going to have to do some coaching on the field. He has enough to do with doing all the checks and basically calling his own plays. A lot on him, too.

All I'm saying is, I think expectations for how we will be off the bat should be measured and much different for what the 2nd half of the season has in store. I think getting clobbered by Seattle is very likely as we go through our transition. That bandwagon is going to empty quick after that and it shouldn't.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

sschind
8 years ago

Oh, I agree with that...however, the fact that he's never done it despite how he might eventually be at it is a little disconcerting especially given he lost his most experienced WR. Guys new at anything make mistakes. We all make mistakes, period, but especially when we're inexperienced like AVP is at his new gig. Never liked Edgar in that WR role but he was a fine catching RB and he seemed sold out for Green Bay. 12 is going to have to do some coaching on the field. He has enough to do with doing all the checks and basically calling his own plays. A lot on him, too.

All I'm saying is, I think expectations for how we will be off the bat should be measured and much different for what the 2nd half of the season has in store. I think getting clobbered by Seattle is very likely as we go through our transition. That bandwagon is going to empty quick after that and it shouldn't.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

I think it will take a while for the position to solidify as well but how much of that will be on AVP and how much of it will be on our inexperienced receivers. It is natural to expect "growing pains" on both sides of the issue. To me the AVP side will be determined by how quickly and thoroughly he can get his guys on his level. I almost want to say how quickly he can get them to buy into his methods but that sounds like he is not legit and that's not what I mean.

I do agree that it will make ARs job more difficult as he will be asked to be even more of an on the field teacher as well as a leader. Some things that Nelson could have pointed out to the young guys may now fall on Aaron's shoulders. Cobb will have to step up in that respect as well. We do have a very inexperienced WR group now both in players on the field and position coaches off the field. That will make it harder to adapt.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

I think it will take a while for the position to solidify as well but how much of that will be on AVP and how much of it will be on our inexperienced receivers. It is natural to expect "growing pains" on both sides of the issue. To me the AVP side will be determined by how quickly and thoroughly he can get his guys on his level. I almost want to say how quickly he can get them to buy into his methods but that sounds like he is not legit and that's not what I mean.

I do agree that it will make ARs job more difficult as he will be asked to be even more of an on the field teacher as well as a leader. Some things that Nelson could have pointed out to the young guys may now fall on Aaron's shoulders. Cobb will have to step up in that respect as well. We do have a very inexperienced WR group now both in players on the field and position coaches off the field. That will make it harder to adapt.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Just hit me that they might want to have Cobb on same side with 88cent or JJ to tell them what to do...going to be hard to communicate with them if they're on the other side of the formation.

UserPostedImage

Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Might be worth considering let one person coach QB and one person coach WR instead of having both positions coached by one.

Offense
Edgar Bennett - Offensive Coordinator
Alex Van Pelt - Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers
Jerry Fontenot - Tight Ends
Sam Gash - Running Backs
James Campen - Offensive Line
Mike Solari - Assistant Offensive Line
Luke Getsy - Offensive Quality Control
UserPostedImage
luigis
8 years ago

Might be worth considering let one person coach QB and one person coach WR instead of having both positions coached by one.

Offense
Edgar Bennett - Offensive Coordinator
Alex Van Pelt - Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers
Jerry Fontenot - Tight Ends
Sam Gash - Running Backs
James Campen - Offensive Line
Mike Solari - Assistant Offensive Line
Luke Getsy - Offensive Quality Control

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Edgar Bennet should be fired immediately. He is resposible for the planning (LOL) of our offense. It has been a disaster.
Alex Van Pelt should be fired, the WRs are playing badly even Rodgers is playing badly.
Sam Gash should be fired immediately. RBs? We have Lacy and Starks and we can run 1 yard in 3rd and 1.
Luke Getsy should be fired immediately. Offensive Quality Control? ROFL
Luis
gbguy20
8 years ago
These individual coaches did just fine when coaching their proper positions. Should they be punished for being put in the wrong places and failing? Or should it be the guy who put all these coaches in the wrong place in the first place?
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago
Since I don't get to see what goes on behind close doors or during practices really. How much do what they are doing really match up with their titles?

My guess is Van Pelt is really more of an assistance to Bennett who still does a lot with the WR, and Clements who still does a lot with QBs.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (3h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.