nerdmann
8 years ago

With Nelson going down, this gives Janis a huge opportunity to solidify his NFL future. Not many 7th round wide receivers are even able to make the team, where Janis has the ability to be one of the featured receivers on a Super Bowl championship contender. The strives he has already made in his young career are inspiring and are something to admire.

Read More @ LombardiAve 

LombardiAve wrote:

Look out Julio Jones!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
I will make the bold prediction right now that Janis makes the most of his opportunity and has an excellent season - that he plays approximately up to the level we have grown to expect from Jordy Nelson.

Bring this post back half way or all the way through the season and we'll see - either I or Nerdmann will have to eat a lot of crow.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
dhazer
8 years ago
Can you guys please pass me whatever your drinking? Your telling me a guy that drops passes and hell somehow completely whiffed on catching a punt as our #1 guy?
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
8 years ago
Sorry Tex I'm w/ Nerd on this one; but [I'm gonna speak for Nerd here] we hope it is you serving us a massive portion of crow!

You look at Rollins and you can see he has "IT." You look at Goodsen, not so much. If Goodsen doesn't look like he has more "IT" this year, his ceiling is probably Jerrat Bush.

It's year 2 and I just doesn't see "IT." You got the wrong routes and drops, ya some 2nd year guys with "it" can still do this; but how can a guy who played WR for 6-7-8 years not be aware of the sideline on a deep out or fail to turn DB if you cant get the ball. Here's some notes I took on Janis’ play in Pitts game, some good, some bad, there is some potential, he shouldn't be cut yet:

2nd Q at 14:24. CB was 8 yards deep. Janis and seemed to communicate w/ Tolzein presnap. He ran a nice out for 7 yards, perfectly timed w/ Tolzein. Aware of the sideline, he was able to stop his momentum from going OOB to try to turn it upfield but was tackled.

2nd Q at 3:43, 3rd and 10 and Playing Y, Janis ran a go route down right sideline that was overthrown by Tolzein. At about 4 yards Janis did a studder step, had he not made that studder the pass would have been on target. Don’t know if the studder part of the pattern, because it was so quick and worthless and Janis has 5" on CB, I would think no. If it is then Tolzein overthrew.

On a 3rd and 4 at :55 2Q Janis made a move as if to go deep and cut off route at sticks and made the catch for 1st. The CB should have been sitting on the route Janis ran. So either Janis sold the deep route perfectly and read the flip of the hips perfectly timed his cut perfectly or the CB was swayed by film study of the go route Janis ran for TD @ NE.

2nd Q at :35, CB was playing way off, Janis raised his hands palms up like he didn’t know what was happening; but he ran slant that Tolzein was expecting. Somehow Janis got on the same page w/ Tolzein. Perhaps the “I don’t know what to do palms us” was Tolzein and Janis’ way of communicating.

3rd Q 13:44 Janis was playing X and Henry the H [in line]. Henry ran a 5 yard square out, got separation and Tolzein threw a perfect strike. Only problem was Janis ran a 5 yard inside stick or curl and would have ended up right next to Henry, if he didn’t stopped and kinda jump out of the way. Janis’ CB drove in front of Henry knocking ball down almost getting INT. I’m certain it was Janis who messed up. I’ll bet there are times Mike McCarthy wants to strangle Janis, first he screws up route and then compounds the screw-up by being really stupid and not sealing off his man from Henry.

At 3Q, 12:52 on 4th and 4, Janis ran a real nice stick route on CB, but ball went to White for 1st

At 11:43 CB was playing way off, Janis tried to pressure CB before making his cut on a deep slant, and it was not effective, but the timing between Janis and Tolzein was perfect, the throw a touch behind [at Janis’ left earhole], was dropped. Though the ball fell behind him, Janis only thought about his drop as he slowed to a trot, he didn’t consider in the slightest that he better make sure that hits the ground and is not INT.

At 11:38 3Q Janis was in Z, Monty in Y; the route was designed for Monty and Janis to both run outs, Monty at 5 yards and Janis at 15. Janis made a nice snatch of the ball, but was OOB. On this play, Janis is near the sideline must break to inside and pressure his CB inside far enough so when he cuts outside there is enough real estate for QB to make the throw. So 1 of 2 things happened: Tolzein was either late with the throw or Janis didn’t pressure his guy inside far enough and made his cut outside too close to sideline. I believe it was the later, because if the throw was late the clock in Janis’ head and awareness of the sideline would have caused Janis to slow; but he was running full speed when he made the catch as if sideline was 20 yards away and made no effort at all to tap his feet in bounds. He seemed 100% unaware that the sideline was there.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Can you guys please pass me whatever your drinking? Your telling me a guy that drops passes and hell somehow completely whiffed on catching a punt as our #1 guy?

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

Did you not see Jordy Nelson in the SuperBowl? His hands were ATROCIOUS.

Or...did you miss this "catch" that sent us to Seattle instead of the other way around in the NFC Chip?

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
8 years ago
5 Packers most impacted by Nelson’s loss 

Good article overall, but I thought it was interesting what they say about #5:

Arguably the fastest player on the team, everyone understands what Janis can do on a go-route.

It’s the other branches of the route tree that he’s working on. His raw potential made him a good bet to make the Packers’ roster from the beginning, but he’ll be expected to contribute more in Year 2 than he did in the two regular-season games he was active as a rookie.

If he's in year 2, he's gotta have the play book down. Wtf. Maybe they just mean he needs to work on "route running."
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
Shit happens - it even happened to Jordy.

All that crap about Janis last week may be valid, but it is all easily curable. I wish he would have gotten more use last season. This year, he absolutely will, and the game will slow down for him, and he will shine. I think we all agree, he has more potential than the alternatives - we just differ on when or if he plays up to it.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Shit happens - it even happened to Jordy.

All that crap about Janis last week may be valid, but it is all easily curable. I wish he would have gotten more use last season. This year, he absolutely will, and the game will slow down for him, and he will shine. I think we all agree, he has more potential than the alternatives - we just differ on when or if he plays up to it.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

It never ceases to amaze how Janis is hammered by fans here for a drop when Jordy has dropped some really critical balls in his career. I would relate his dropping balls as part of my case that he isn't something but that's already going in multiple other threads.

If Jordy Nelson is going to get a break as a veteran for dropping HUGE passes with major ramifications for the history of this football team then I fail to see why a 2nd year 7th rounder from a tiny little school and conference isn't extended a shred of grace by some of our "fans". I love Jordy...excellent player and an even better guy by all accounts. Love that he's on our team. He still has screwed the pooch in big moments way more than he should've for a guy who is thought of so highly on the field.

Jeff Janis is early in Year 2 from the GLIAC conference...that noted powerhouse. He hasn't done anything horrific on a football field to cost his team like Jordy has. Plus, Janis missed a bunch of time early last year that hindered his development due to shingles.

This new situation with Jordy done creates totally different mindsets for some of these guys and I'm hoping JJ will benefit. Starting the rook out at the 3rd WR either lights a fire under JJ or puts him in the dumper. I'm going to bet it lights a fire. He knows what's at stake now. Much different thinking you might be a bit player on a team and then come to find you might be a main cog. Can't wait to see if he's up for it in his early development.

Davante freaking Adams for all his sky high hype caught 38 passes last year. THIRTY EIGHT. An average of a little more than 2 a game. This is his moment, too.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nyrpack
8 years ago
i hope he gets his chance at the # 3 or it goes to montgomery !!
jimmy b.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

i hope he gets his chance at the # 3 or it goes to montgomery !!

Originally Posted by: nyrpack 

Nope, our #3 is now clearly James Butler. 😁 Lose high quality...head right to the dollar store. The new Packer way. Have no RB... we'll get Dimitri Red Army Nance...that will solve the problem.

UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (11h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.