RaiderPride
8 years ago

I've said often Javon Walker was the last great wide receiver talent the Packers have had and if you go back further, Sterling Sharpe. That being said, I've read Jordy Nelson is not a number one wide receiver.

That has me thinking, what is a number one wide receiver?

Last season just six wide receivers had more RECEPTIONS than Jordy Nelson.
Last season just three wide receivers had more RECEIVING YARDS than Jordy Nelson.
Last season just one wide receiver had more TOUCHDOWNS than Jordy Nelson.
Last season just nine wide receivers had more 20+ YARDS RECEPTIONS than Jordy Nelson.
Last season just two wide receivers had more 1st DOWN RECEPTIONS than Jordy Nelson.

If you were to put Jordy Nelson on any other NFL team, he would be no worse than the 2 on nearly every team except the Falcons.

[list=1]

• Lions have Calvin Johnson
  • Steelers have Antonio Brown
  • Giants have Odell Beckham Jr
  • Falcons have Julio Jones and Roddy White
  • Broncos have Demaryius Thomas
  • Bengals have A.J. Green
  • Cowboys have Dez Bryant
  • Cardinals have Larry Fitzgerald
  • Colts have T.Y. Hilton[/list]

• There you have it folks, Jordy Nelson is indeed a number one receiver. Deal with it!!

Oh and for those who will ask about Percy Harvin, sure he has talent coming out of his ears. Big deal!! A damn bowl in a China Shop lasts longer with a Bull hopped up on Red Bull than Harvin does in the NFL. Talent doesn't mean squat if you can't produce on the field and if you're always hurt, you're useless.

Class dismissed!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Class dismissed indeed!

And, children, do not let the door hit you on your way out!

Great Post.

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
    sschind
    8 years ago

Tell you what man.

Call it whatever the fuck you guys want. We hashed it out in another thread. Dez's contract is comparable to Cobb and Nelson's contracts combined. But Cobb and Nelson combine for more production.

No corp of DBs in the league is as deep as our WR corps. That's a legit strategy, and it seems to be working quite well.

Remember when Sterling went down with that neck injury? Everyone was worried about Bert. Well as it turned out, Bert actually did better when he spread the ball around, instead of always looking for that "#1."

But yeah. "#1" is just a goddamn label.

Can Jordy beat a team's best, or "number one" CB? Yeah. So he's a legit #1 WR, imo. But it doesn't matter how you label him. The production is there.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Why do people keep insisting on making the comparison of Dez Bryant (1 person) to Nelson and Cobb (2 People) As I have said before, I would hope that any teams top 2 WRs would out produce any other teams top guy. On top of that they always want to look at 2015 salaries and overall contracts but use 2014 stats. The cowboys got 88 catches 1320 yards and 16 TDs from Bryant for 3.15 million dollars (salary not cap hit) the Packers got 190 catches 2800 yards and 25 TDs from Nelson and Cobb but it cost them more than 2 times as much (7.4 million.) to be fair we need to add the cowboys next WR (Terrance Williams) and what we end up with is 125 catches, 1950 yards and 24 TD's and it still only cost them about half as much (3.8 million)

This year Bryant/Williams will cost the cowboys 3.6 million ( 7.8 cap hit) and Nelson/Cobb will cost the Packers 2.5 (9.9 cap hit) I would have bet that the combo of Bryant/Williams would have pretty similar stats to the Packers combo of Nelson/Cobb. Would Nelson/Cobb have had better stats than just Dez, again I sure as hell would hope so as its 2 for 1 Now that Nelson is out all bets are off but it won't surprise me at all if Bryant/Williams outperform Cobb/? In this case though Cobb/? will be cheaper.

IMO you are not doing the Packers or their receivers any favors by making this comparison. Especially when Nelson and Dez compare favorably one to one
    PackerTraxx
    8 years ago
    The way I took the question is that a WR1 is a receiver that would be among the top 32 WRs, in other words he would be a 1 on some team. This is opposed to being the 1 on any team, of which there would only be one 1. Or somewhere in between. Now I'm not sure what we're referring to.
    Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
    DakotaT
    8 years ago
    Green and Gold goggles certainly affect people's perception of our players. For the stat geeks, Jordy is a number 1 receiver, as would be Cobb. For people that understand to be a number one receiver, you need the combination of size, speed, leaping ability, catching ability, route running ability, and freak athleticism, there is nobody in Green Bay that fits that description. Carry on boys!
    UserPostedImage
    nerdmann
    8 years ago

Why do people keep insisting on making the comparison of Dez Bryant (1 person) to Nelson and Cobb (2 People) As I have said before, I would hope that any teams top 2 WRs would out produce any other teams top guy. On top of that they always want to look at 2015 salaries and overall contracts but use 2014 stats. The cowboys got 88 catches 1320 yards and 16 TDs from Bryant for 3.15 million dollars (salary not cap hit) the Packers got 190 catches 2800 yards and 25 TDs from Nelson and Cobb but it cost them more than 2 times as much (7.4 million.) to be fair we need to add the cowboys next WR (Terrance Williams) and what we end up with is 125 catches, 1950 yards and 24 TD's and it still only cost them about half as much (3.8 million)

This year Bryant/Williams will cost the cowboys 3.6 million ( 7.8 cap hit) and Nelson/Cobb will cost the Packers 2.5 (9.9 cap hit) I would have bet that the combo of Bryant/Williams would have pretty similar stats to the Packers combo of Nelson/Cobb. Would Nelson/Cobb have had better stats than just Dez, again I sure as hell would hope so as its 2 for 1 Now that Nelson is out all bets are off but it won't surprise me at all if Bryant/Williams outperform Cobb/? In this case though Cobb/? will be cheaper.

IMO you are not doing the Packers or their receivers any favors by making this comparison. Especially when Nelson and Dez compare favorably one to one

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I'm not making the comparison, I'm just clarifying what someone else claimed. You can take the cap hit any particular year, but Dez is still being paid what he is being paid, and Cobb and Nelson are getting paid what they are being paid.

Fact is, having better depth than the opposing team's depth at CB is a winning strategy.
    “Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    uffda udfa
    8 years ago

Green and Gold goggles certainly affect people's perception of our players. For the stat geeks, Jordy is a number 1 receiver, as would be Cobb. For people that understand to be a number one receiver, you need the combination of size, speed, leaping ability, catching ability, route running ability, and freak athleticism, there is nobody in Green Bay that fits that description. Carry on boys!

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

When Cobb went down in 2013, it has been said here that is confirmation that Jordy put up numbers with our backups...Yup. Why? He was playing with Jarrett freaking Boykin. Had Nelson and Cobb both been out, Boykin would've put up numbers like Jordy and or Randall's last year. Would he have been anywhere near a #1 WR? Stats wise you could scream it all day and compare to some real #1 WR's but as Dakota said, a #1 WR is more than just numbers. Jordy also has some of this great white hope thing going for him, too. A lot of us white guys don't see many white dudes who are good at the skill positions so when there is one we think of him in terms higher than he actually merits. Nice, nice player Jordy is and was. Not a superstar. Right place right time for the last 7 years.

EDIT: One thing I just can't wait for (sarcasm) is hearing how Davante is a #1 WR now that he's in Jordy's spot. It will just simply be amazing how the Packers have not 1, not 2, but THREE #1 WR's going off of production. It is coming to a Packers thread near you. I guarantee it. Again, can't wait. 😠
    UserPostedImage
    Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Bigbyfan
    8 years ago
    People claiming that a quarterback doesn't determine a receiver's "#1" status is ALMOST as absurd as the comment that Nelson or Cobb wouldn't sniff 600 yards with an average quarterback. Saying that Boykin would have put up Cobb/Nelson numbers is also ridiculous.

On a different note, what exactly is a #1 receiver? I'm pretty sure it's whoever the number one option team. Again, this argument is stupid.
    blank
    DakotaT
    8 years ago

People claiming that a quarterback doesn't determine a receiver's "#1" status is ALMOST as absurd as the comment that Nelson or Cobb wouldn't sniff 600 yards with an average quarterback. Saying that Boykin would have put up Cobb/Nelson numbers is also ridiculous.

On a different note, what exactly is a #1 receiver? I'm pretty sure it's whoever the number one option team. Again, this argument is stupid.

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

Obviously, you don't understand the atrocious quarterback play many team suffer with. One day Green Bay will go back to that too. Then and only then will the younger Packers fans know just how good they've had it.
    UserPostedImage
    nerdmann
    8 years ago

Originally Posted by: Bigbyfan 

A "legit" #1 is a guy who can beat #1 CBs consistently.

But some people are obsessed with measurables.
    “Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
    uffda udfa
    8 years ago
    I don't think this argument is stupid at all. Of course, all 32 teams are going to have their #1 guy. There is a TYPE that is what is a true #1 WR. It is not Jordy, it is not RC18, it is not Davante Adams yet when all is said and done we will have fans on this site and elsewhere thinking all 3 are #1 WR's and we have an embarrassment of riches. Heck, Montgomery and Janis might get in on the action and we might have 5 #1 WRs. Unprecedented.

Nobody thought of Jordy as a #1 type when he was drafted...nobody thought of Randall as a #1 type when he was drafted...same goes for Davante. Shoot, if Jordy was a true #1 WR...Ted ain't offering Greg Jennings more money than he ultimately gave to Jordy down the road. Why would Ted Thompson be so worried to watch Greg get away if he knew he had Jordy and James Jones left? Jordy wasn't THE GUY then...he was THE GUY because Jennings departed not because it was in him to be a true #1. Now, Jordy is gone...the guy in his spot (Davante) will likely get crazy stats just like whatever Peyton Manning TE is on the field with Peyton. That is why I posted what I did earlier...I KNOW it's coming. Davante is a #1 WR...look at his stats...we didn't miss a beat. Davante is a superstar! It's all coming because he's in that spot not because he is. I'm sorry but YES, Jarrett Boykin being used in the role Jordy was in DOES get stats like him. Boykin was a Jaguars cut who came to us on a freaking mini camp tryout. He put up numbers on pace with Jordy's when Flynn and the gang were in for Rodgers. Go do the math. Go look. Look at Boykin's starts and Jordy's... extrapolate Boykin's numbers based on 16 games or just divide and look at the average per game. You guys will be SHOCKED if you only look and do some simple math. BOOM! There's your VERIFIABLE SCIENTIFIC DATA that PROVES this. Go look. Stop typing out of your backsides and as the Geico Caveman once said...mabye, next time, do a little research. LOOK! Leave the sentimentality somewhere else for 5 seconds.
    UserPostedImage
    Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
    Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
    wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
    wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
    wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
    wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
    wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
    wpr (17-Mar) : INI
    wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
    dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
    dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
    Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.