Barfarn
  • Barfarn
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
8 years ago
Raji again was extremely quick off the snap like in NE; showed hustle trailing plays; was routinely D-teamed and held up nicely against them and bested Pouncey nicely a few times and completely abused Pouncey’s replacement [Wallace]. This is not the #90 who was playing in 2013!!!!

Note: The run blocking OL’s goal when D-Teaming a DL is to stop penetration and seal so one can peel off to get to second level. A DL that is D-teamed that gets pushed back a yard but keeps both blockers engaged gets a C+/B- [Where C is expected of the average player]. Holding ground while engaging both OL = a solid B. Penetrating and keeping both OL engaged =A; Penetrating, splitting or shedding DT to disrupt the play = HOF stuff.

Pitt 1st Drive

1. 1st 10, Raji [3-4, NT] is D-teamed by Pouncy and Decastro, who stayed engaged and moved Raji about ½ yard back [B-].

2. 2nd 10, Raji [2-4-5, LDT]. Pitt lined up trips right [all L-R will be from Packers perspective] w/ TE Miller one of the trips; this was a designed cut-back play. The play flowed left and Raji initially flowed right, once he realized Bell was cutting back the trailing G was able to engage and keep Raji from coming back left [C].

Raji gets a C because it was his assignment to flow right [and he was prepared as possible if Bell came back his way]. The scheme required Mulumba to established contain and Dix crashing down to fill C gap in the event Bell cut back [Filled brilliantly, slowed Bell but missed tackle: C+]. Note: Miller came from right to left engaged Mulumba on left, turned him and pancaked him to allow Bell to get the edge on the cutback...THAT IS WHAT TE is, not that Weasally Graham crap. Mulumba strength is being stout v. the run, that is an F- for him and Randle fired up and ankle nabbed Bell down for 2 yrd gain [Randle A+].

3. Raji out 3rd and 8; Packers lined up 1 DL down, 4 LBs up and 6 DBs. Note: Pitt had one WR do an inside curl at 1st down marker and Brown was 7 yards directly behind, who caught the pass. Dix was in perfect position to knock down or INT pass to Brown; but misjudged the pass thinking it was going to WR at marker who jumped for ball and Dix wiped him out.

4. 1st 10[PI call on Brown], Raji, 2-4-5 RDT, RG and C were set to double Raji, who rushes QB by slanting left w/ Boyd, Peppers took the T right, so Palmer can blitz through right B gap. Pouncy and LG then double on Raji who penetrates a few yards but doesn’t threaten QB [C+]. Note: the RG was free to block Palmer.

Here’s the way I’d design this play: RG moved left to double Raji; but when he saw Palmer coming he peeled off to Block Palmer. Raji needs to have the freedom [heck maybe he does] that when Raji sees RG beginning to follow him left, Raji should turn OLman and “block” the RG, this would allow Palmer to come thru clean. Justin Smith was the master at this! Got Alden half his sacks.

5. 1st 25. Raji [2-4-5, RDT] is D-Teamed w/ Pouncy and Foster, Pouncy sees Raji isn’t coming and peels off, Foster keeps Raji engaged. Cant tell if BJ took one off or he had a contain assignment. I say contain, because BJ’s feet were moving the entire time and OLBs and Pennell [A] attacked with abandon, Pennell drove DeCastro back into QB’s lap. Raji [C-] could have disengaged faster from Foster on swing pass outside.

6. 2nd 18, Raji [2-4-5, LDT] GB does straight 4 man rush, Pouncy sees Boyd w/ a bit more penetration than Raji and goes to help double Boyd; Raji [B+] pushes DeCastro back 3 yards, but it’s a quick rhythm pass. Would have been a pressure, if pattern was longer.

7. 3rd and 11, Raji out. Pack in 1-4-6 again.

8. 1st and 10 Raji [3-4, NT] fires off brilliantly, penetrates about ½ yard, then Pouncy single blocks and stops Raji’s penetration and seals him from play. Raji gets a B [A for initial penetration; a C for being stopped –would be a D or F w/ average to bad Center].

9. 2nd and 6, Raji [3-4, NT] [B+] single blocked and Pennell [B+] push DeCastro and Gilbert right back into QB’s lap, some would give a pressure to both, as throw was off.

10. 3rd and 6 Raji out. Pack in 1-4-6 w/ 4-1-5 look and Peppers gets sack, Neal a pressure.

Pitt. 2nd Drive

11. 1st and 10: Raji [3-4, NT] again fires brilliantly stunning Pouncy, who stumbles back, Raji immediately recognizes it’s a quick pass to flat, disengages brilliantly and gives chase almost getting in on tackle at 6 yds downfield [A-].

12. 2nd and 3: Raji [2-4-5, RDT] is allowed to penetrate through right B gap, play goes left. No grade. Pouncy hurt replaced by Cody Wallace [2008, 4th rnd, 6 yr vet, 24 games 6 starts].

13. 1st 10: Raji [3-4, NT] blasts Wallace back 2 yards disengages chases and grabs Bell from behind [A-]. [minus is for competition]

14. 2nd and 8: Raji [2-4-5, RDT] Suddenly Strikes Wallace back, sheds him and had direct path to QB [But Wallace was trying to get outside for bubble screen to WR], this slowed Wallace from getting outside] [B or Raji].

15. 3rd and 11 Raji out. Pack in 1-4-6, forces punt

Pitt 3rd drive

16. 1st and 10 Raji [2-4-5, RDT] is d-teamed no penetration, not pushed back [C] on quick pass outside.

17. 2nd 7 Raji [2-4-5, RDT] gets 1-2 yrd penetration against Foster then RT forms double stopping penetration [C].

18. 1st 10 Raji [2-4-5, RDT] blows up run to right by penetrating and pushing C right and over pursues to right [A-]; Bell did a nice job cutting back, Pennell should have been there in cut back lane.

19. 2nd 7 Raji [2-4-5, RDT] stunts with LDT Boyd, Raji goes left as Pitt runs screen pass right [no Grade]. Raji did give chase appearing in TV screen when RB is tackled.

20. 1st 10 Raji [2-4-5 LDT], Raji penetrates 4 yards against Wallace, DeCastro joins double late [B].

21. 2nd 10 Raji [2-4-5, RDT] Raji penetrates 3 yards single blocked and does not raise arms as QB gets ready to throw [C]

22. 1st and 10 Raji out.
uffda udfa
8 years ago
I always enjoy your posts even when I vehemently disagree with them. It's obvious you put a lot of time, effort, and thought into what you write.

Let's hope you're right about Raji because like many I have my doubts.

Is there a player on this roster we're counting on that you don't think much of because I can't recall you ever saying an untoward word about any Packer save for Brett Favre which we have commonality in.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
8 years ago
Raji will be solid for us, imo.

I'm more worried about Morgan Burnett.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
8 years ago
In my opinion, anything Raji gives us is gravy. You'd think he'd be busting ass this year playing for a contract, but we'll see. Would love to actually wear my Raji jerseys, cause none of you ever take me up on my offers of buying them, real cheap.
UserPostedImage
nyrpack
8 years ago
i like him but man does he look heavier then ever !!
jimmy b.
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
8 years ago

I always enjoy your posts even when I vehemently disagree with them. It's obvious you put a lot of time, effort, and thought into what you write.

Let's hope you're right about Raji because like many I have my doubts.

Is there a player on this roster we're counting on that you don't think much of because I can't recall you ever saying an untoward word about any Packer save for Brett Favre which we have commonality in.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

How can you vehemently disagree with that post?

You can disagree on the facts, EG, Raji didn't penetrate 3 yards, he got pushed back on that play.

You can disagree with the grades; EG, my grandma could have done that to Wallace, B? are you nuts that was a C- at best, probably a D.

You can disagree on the ultimate conclusion, EG, that is exactly how he played '13, ain't no different.

Disagreeing with this post is like saying, Raji stinks and I dont care how he plays my opinion ain't changing.

I say "untoward things" about players all the time. Raji played a very nice game against good competition and constant double teams I only saw a few things could have been better and even considered that Raji may have taken a play off. In this thread I spoke of Mulumba's F; Dix missing a tackle and misjudging a pass to Brown.

In my Pitts,/Janis post, I pointed the things he did very well and some things he sucked at. I just call 'em the way i see 'em.

Dont want to be critical here; but it seems you try to label players as good, bad or in between. There's no such thing as a bad player, well okay Elmore...LOL, or a good player. They're all just players doing really bad, bad, mediocre, good and outstanding things depending on the play and sometimes they do both good and bad on the same play [Like Dix brilliantly crashing the C gap like a rocket and hitting Bell behind line, that is a play few safeties in the NFL can make, only to then miss the tackle]. Of course, the better players do more good stuff than bad and vice-versa.

Thing I hate, is a guys not trying; But there's not a whole lotta that on a MM/TT team. Should'a heard me speak of 2013 Raji and by extension any State Farm product...LOL

Raji is gonna play 2 weak centers in weeks 1 and 2, if they double him; Daniels is gonna go nuts. So, if I'm a DC I double Daniels and around week 3, fans are gonna be lookin to enshrine Raji in the HOF. I on the other hand will be looking for that 2013 living personification of liposuction waste from Jared Fogle's fat Subway molesting a$$ fat lump of useless lard sh!t to rear his ugly head that will emerge from his hula dancing sphincter!

LOL untoward enough for ya...LOLOLOLOL
uffda udfa
8 years ago

You can disagree on the facts, EG, Raji didn't penetrate 3 yards, he got pushed back on that play.

You can disagree with the grades; EG, my grandma could have done that to Wallace, B? are you nuts that was a C- at best, probably a D.

You can disagree on the ultimate conclusion, EG, that is exactly how he played '13, ain't no different.

Disagreeing with this post is like saying, Raji stinks and I dont care how he plays my opinion ain't changing.

I say "untoward things" about players all the time. Raji played a very nice game against good competition and constant double teams I only saw a few things could have been better and even considered that Raji may have taken a play off. In this thread I spoke of Mulumba's F; Dix missing a tackle and misjudging a pass to Brown.

In my Pitts,/Janis post, I pointed the things he did very well and some things he sucked at. I just call 'em the way i see 'em.

Dont want to be critical here; but it seems you try to label players as good, bad or in between. There's no such thing as a bad player, well okay Elmore...LOL, or a good player. They're all just players doing really bad, bad, mediocre, good and outstanding things depending on the play and sometimes they do both good and bad on the same play [Like Dix brilliantly crashing the C gap like a rocket and hitting Bell behind line, that is a play few safeties in the NFL can make, only to then miss the tackle]. Of course, the better players do more good stuff than bad and vice-versa.

Thing I hate, is a guys not trying; But there's not a whole lotta that on a MM/TT team. Should'a heard me speak of 2013 Raji and by extension any State Farm product...LOL

Raji is gonna play 2 weak centers in weeks 1 and 2, if they double him; Daniels is gonna go nuts. So, if I'm a DC I double Daniels and around week 3, fans are gonna be lookin to enshrine Raji in the HOF. I on the other hand will be looking for that 2013 living personification of liposuction waste from Jared Fogle's fat Subway molesting a$$ fat lump of useless lard sh!t to rear his ugly head that will emerge from his hula dancing sphincter!

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

You and I sure ain't Nelson and Rodgers. I didn't mean I disagreed with this post at all...I was generalizing that I admire your style even when I think your conclusions are bunkum. My memory is sometimes too good...I recall you speaking about how you watched video and you virtually guarantee RR was going to be a star. I've cataloged most of what you've typed here up in my noodle. It's just I don't recall you ever speaking negatively about any Packers player. Nobody seems to be an unworthy Packer to you. Man, I wish I could've read your thoughts on Hawk last year.

Hopefully, we can work on our chemistry next offseason....I'll read you during the season while I'm on self imposed IR so we can be in better sync next spring and summer.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

nerdmann
8 years ago

He's just trying to suck up, because he's been called out so many times for acting like a bitch.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Barfarn
  • Barfarn
8 years ago

You and I sure ain't Nelson and Rodgers. I didn't mean I disagreed with this post at all...I was generalizing that I admire your style even when I think your conclusions are bunkum. My memory is sometimes too good...I recall you speaking about how you watched video and you virtually guarantee RR was going to be a star. I've cataloged most of what you've typed here up in my noodle. It's just I don't recall you ever speaking negatively about any Packers player. Nobody seems to be an unworthy Packer to you. Man, I wish I could've read your thoughts on Hawk last year.

Hopefully, we can work on our chemistry next offseason....I'll read you during the season while I'm on self imposed IR so we can be in better sync next spring and summer.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Ya, i got that! But, how can a player who gets a B-ish average against Pouncey and D-teams not be good?

Our chemistry is more like Rodgers and Janis..ahh..and yer Janis...LOLOLOL

Chances are good, by the time I've studied enough tape to figure out a guy sucks, the staff has already seen enough of him in practice and cut him. There's alot of really smart guys at 1265. Smarter than me.

And Hawk, here's that label the guy thinking. All you can see is Graham catching 1200 yards, you dont consider his blocking, whether he elevates those around him; etc. Lacy, Ingram, Richardson, ever consider why the least talented is the best? I would love to rewind life and see how Lacy would do with Lynch as his mentor instead of Kuhn. How are Turbin and Christene doing? Both are far more talented than Lacy.

Hawk's play is only one [large] facet of his importance. But how do you know whether he's playing well, unless you identify his job, evaluate how well he did his job; and do this for a large chunk of his plays. Okay, they replace Hawk with Perry; but he's bust, why did the D get so much better?

When a guy gets a sack, it usually means 10 other guys did their job well; you give huge credit to the sacker; the coaching staff gives good grades to all and some may get a higher grade than the guy who got the sack. This is why your opinions are in conflict w/ the coaching staff, is because you dont evaluate players based on how they did their assignment and adjusting that grade for the competition.

And you're biased, if GB has a bunch of good players how can you assert Ted Thompson is an idiot. So you ignore facts to make players worse than they are to support your Ted Thompson is an idiot agenda. I mean you claimed the second year leap is a myth, when 90+% of the players improve in yr 2.

I certainly never guaranteed Rodgers a star; but I do assert his supposed speed deficiency will not stop him from being an all-pro. I do know he's tremendous young man, mature, business-like w/ a great work ethic and his play at years end was unprecedented for a GB TE in this system. I did mention his blocking was substandard; but expected the above factors to elevate him to at least an average blocker in yr 2. And as he becomes more proficient in the passing O, he's gonna be an asset. He'll be average to above average at TE in 2015 and is a better TE than Graham right now; but that's not sayin' much.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Ya, i got that! But, how can a player who gets a B-ish average against Pouncey and D-teams not be good?

Our chemistry is more like Rodgers and Janis..ahh..and yer Janis...LOLOLOL

Chances are good, by the time I've studied enough tape to figure out a guy sucks, the staff has already seen enough of him in practice and cut him. There's alot of really smart guys at 1265. Smarter than me.

And Hawk, here's that label the guy thinking. All you can see is Graham catching 1200 yards, you dont consider his blocking, whether he elevates those around him; etc. Lacy, Ingram, Richardson, ever consider why the least talented is the best? I would love to rewind life and see how Lacy would do with Lynch as his mentor instead of Kuhn. How are Turbin and Christene doing? Both are far more talented than Lacy.

Hawk's play is only one [large] facet of his importance. But how do you know whether he's playing well, unless you identify his job, evaluate how well he did his job; and do this for a large chunk of his plays. Okay, they replace Hawk with Perry; but he's bust, why did the D get so much better?

When a guy gets a sack, it usually means 10 other guys did their job well; you give huge credit to the sacker; the coaching staff gives good grades to all and some may get a higher grade than the guy who got the sack. This is why your opinions are in conflict w/ the coaching staff, is because you dont evaluate players based on how they did their assignment and adjusting that grade for the competition.

And you're biased, if GB has a bunch of good players how can you assert Ted Thompson is an idiot. So you ignore facts to make players worse than they are to support your Ted Thompson is an idiot agenda. I mean you claimed the second year leap is a myth, when 90+% of the players improve in yr 2.

I certainly never guaranteed Rodgers a star; but I do assert his supposed speed deficiency will not stop him from being an all-pro. I do know he's tremendous young man, mature, business-like w/ a great work ethic and his play at years end was unprecedented for a GB TE in this system. I did mention his blocking was substandard; but expected the above factors to elevate him to at least an average blocker in yr 2. And as he becomes more proficient in the passing O, he's gonna be an asset. He'll be average to above average at TE in 2015 and is a better TE than Graham right now; but that's not sayin' much.

paranerd sure is bitter...blocks me for calling him out and now it's me who has been called out too many times?

As to Graham, I certainly didn't want Jimmy Graham for his blocking. If you're going to be prolific as he is you don't get that way by blocking. BTW, how do you know it was his job to block in New Orleans? Are you certain of his assignment on any given play. Those are things you can't know...nor can I. RR is better than Jimmy Graham? Wow...Seattle, that team that wins SB's, and has beaten us 3 straight times sure is stupid then. That org certainly has no clue what they're doing. If RR's blocking is substandard and so is Graham's, I think I'll take the guy who is a verifiable star in the passing game who has height and speed in Jimmy, but that's just me. I'm not conditioned to TT's way of thinking that dollar store players are high quality just because they're his guys.

I've never referred to Ted Thompson as an idiot. I do find it hysterical that James Butler is his move after Jordy goes down. I find that too good to resist especially after saying this situation would really detail the differences in approaches of the GM I really liked in Wolf, and him. Rison it is for Wolf...James Butler it is for TT. If you don't find that funny I don't what to say. Even my good buddy MR had to just virtually shake his head. Lose high quality...run to the dollar store and get a "comparable" item for cheap.

Will take being Janis, AR. 😁 You'll see...you'll all see...

UserPostedImage