steveishere
8 years ago
I wanted to talk about things we've seen from specific players so far this year without having to talk about Ted Thompson or Capers or Zook or whatever. Feel free to discuss any specific players you feel like. Here's some things that have caught my eye.

Raji looks so far like his usual non impactful self, hopefully he's just doing the old Woodson esque "it's just preseason so whatever" thing because Mike Pennell has looked a heck of a lot better facing some of the same offensive lineman. Despite position change and "new motivation" optimism it's a good chance this is just who Raji is.

Mike Pennell - See above, he looks really good and has looked good no matter who he's faced. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the starting lineup against Chicago and wouldn't be even if Guion and Jones were playing. Maybe he'll disappear come week 1 because preseason but he's shown some good stuff.

Brett Hundley - Looks like we might have ourselves another QB. Hope they can keep his development going because he was doing things you love seeing out of a rookie. Progressing through reads before trying to run, standing strong in the pocket with pressure in his face, not getting happy feet and leaving clean pockets, accurate throws etc...

Matt Blanchard - Good chance he wont make it to the practice squad. I loved his willingness to go downfield and his overall accuracy. My least favorite thing to see out of a QB is playing the dink and dunk/checkdown game exclusively because they are afraid to try a tough throw (see Jason Campbell/Alex Smith)

Sam Barrington - He still looks good playing downhill but just has no business trying to cover someone like Sproles. The TD to the TE looked like a possible miscommunication but he still has to track him better than that. Even the Sproles TD he could have stopped with a better angle. If he can't clean that up then we better hope someone like Palmer or Ryan can play that dime/cover LB role better.

Micah Hyde - I thought he played pretty well for a rookie in that slot CB spot but that was for a rookie and last year he didn't look much improved there. That still looks like it's the case. Hopefully with Rollins/Randall/Hayward we've got at least 2 guys who can do it better because Hyde is a mismatch against a lot of the slot WRs and recieving TEs we are going to face this year.

Ty Montgomery - Was great to see him finally get some passes this offseason and do some good things. Same for Janis, these guys could both become really important later in the season.
texaspackerbacker
8 years ago
This was really you, right Steve? Not just some cut and paste? I like this kind of post a lot - I'll take the opinions and observations of Packer fans and posters over the so-called experts any day.

Pennell seemed to be rotating with Raji at the nose, and things generally went a helluva lot better with Pennell in there. I hope he starts and they cut one of the other of the undynamic duo, Raji and Guion.

I never thought I'd say this, considering how good Tolzien has looked and my homerism for Badgers, but I now see Hundley as a better choice as #2 than Tolzien. Following the game on NFL.com, I thought he was good, but seeing the replay and how he had to avoid the pass rush to throw a lot of those passes, he was pretty damn impressive - almost Rodgers-esque (I said "almost").

Can somebody clarify whether or not Blanchard is still eligible for the practice squad? I've heard it both ways. He was fairly impressive too.

Barrington plays with a lot of heart. If leadership includes setting an example, and of course it does, he's doing the job. And he's a diplomat too - he kept a straight face when they asked him what he thought of having Raji back hahahaha. He had just too many messes to clean up of others not doing their job in this game. He at least forced a perfect throw when covering Sproles. I think Capers was avoiding showing the Eagles anything special, and in a game that counts, Barrington won't be asked to cover somebody like that.

Hyde was getting beat, but it didn't look as bad as I thought from just seeing the play by play. Bradford and Sanchez were just out of their mind good on a lot of those pass plays. Hayward also I thought looked good most of the time.

Montgomery and Janis, yes, and White too and even Pinkard, although he looked bad on a few too. I wonder why they didn't use Davante Adams. I hope they are not just handing him the #2 WR spot. Let him outperform Janis and Montgomery - if he can - in the last preseason game.

Neal and Crockett both looked good too, and we probably can only keep one of them. Backman too - he may have earned the #3 TE spot; Hell, he looked like the best of the 3 in this game.

I wonder what the chances are of picking up a punter when teams cut down their rosters. If I was McCarthy, I'd be practicing Tolzien or Hundley or anybody else that is a possibility at holding for Crosby.

Walker looked good at both Guard and Right Tackle, and of course, Barclay was crap again. I wish they would either try Walker at LT or move Bulaga to LT and use Walker at RT if Bakhtiari is still out.

For such an overall bad game, there actually was a lot to be happy about.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
nerdmann
8 years ago

Montgomery and Janis, yes, and White too and even Pinkard, although he looked bad on a few too. I wonder why they didn't use Davante Adams. I hope they are not just handing him the #2 WR spot. Let him outperform Janis and Montgomery - if he can - in the last preseason game.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Get a goddamn life. 😂

For what it's worth, I thought Ripkowski (The Ripper, as Larry called him on the postgame show) made some plays on ST. Once he picks up pass pro, Kuhn's days are numbered.

Vaughters made some plays, although he had a mistake or two early.

In fairness to Barrington, he's not gonna be asked to cover WR (or Sproles) in the regular season. I mean, really? In fact I'd be a little surprised if he was even the dime LB once the club comes off Palmer's hand.

I thought Barclay looked a little better. Walker looked like he held up at RT for the most part.

Hundley's got "it," but he's a long way from displacing Tolzien. Give him a year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
greengold
8 years ago

Can somebody clarify whether or not Blanchard is still eligible for the practice squad? I've heard it both ways.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

You should judge for yourself. The transactions are public record.

Blanchard spent 2012 on the Bears practice squad. 2013 on the Panthers practice squad. 2014 he was on injured reserve.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (10h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.