steveishere
8 years ago
This team could add Dez Bryant and Rob Gronkowski and they still wouldn't get 100% red zone efficiency so that's basically a useless expectation.
Barfarn
8 years ago

If your mindset IS to score EVERY time and failure isn't an option [...] It's about mindset.

As it pertains to the topic, I know RR ain't going to get us anywhere near perfection.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

A vacuous opinion on your perfection jag restated with different variables is no less vacuous.

Let’s do this again...EVERY team and player’s Goal is to score a TD every time they got the ball....DUH! If Mike McCarthy establishes a mindset to strive for scoring perfection: he breaks camp w/o a P, K and LS because punting or kicking a FG or an extra point is consciously opting to fail. Not going for it on 4th constitutes being satisfied or “selling out” NOT to score a TD on every drive and contradicts a MINDSET to score on every drive.

Clearly, anyone that ever participated in ANY athletic events knows the goal is to WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP. They would also know that establishing intermediate strivations of perfection like having the perfect TE; in basketball, soccer or hockey having all players abandon their defensive responsibilities and crash the goal to achieve offensive perfection; or in baseball start your best pitcher every game; INTERFERES with winning championships.

I believe it was Barfarn who said- “The moron who chases perfection to the exclusion of all else is a real moron.”

A quality coach/GM sets a goal of perfection; but prepares for failure and adversity. This would be intuitive to anyone playing any sport at any time in their life and that’s why Mike McCarthy will break camp with a punter on the 53.

Is Rodgers perfection at TE? No! But who cares, I could give a rats a$$ about perfection, I want the Packers to do what it takes to WIN. Any current or past athlete knows this.

Crazy thing though: is Jimmy Graham TE perfection? LOL, what a joke. Did ya see that toad flop trying to block against KC? LOL, JOKE. That might be perfection in the WWF, but Graham is an absolute joke of a TE [He’s a good, not dominant, WR]. Any one who has watched and understands the game knows that Rodgers is a better TE than Graham even w/o his 2nd year leap [Note: Rodgers is a better TE than Revis or Brady as well].

A different opinion is would our offense or RZ offense be better w/ Graham at WR? I don’t think so, it would be worse because Jimmy is an inveterate whiner and he’d disrupt things if he didn’t get his way and NO averaged 45 points less a season w/ Graham than w/ broken down Shockey at TE and if he replaces Rodgers, Lacy will be less effective. But, let’s assume arguendo our offense is closer to perfection with Graham; the cost to acquire him means the team is without Linsley, Damarious Randle and Mike Daniels or Peppers; so the team is much much much further from a championship w/ Graham.
uffda udfa
8 years ago

This team could add Dez Bryant and Rob Gronkowski and they still wouldn't get 100% red zone efficiency so that's basically a useless expectation.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

It's not useless...that drive to reach perfection, although you can't, is quite helpful.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
8 years ago

It's not useless...that drive to reach perfection, although you can't, is quite helpful.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

The drive for 100% is fine, as long as you can appreciate reaching the moon when your goal was the stars. I struggle to believe some can appreciate the moon.
UserPostedImage
sschind
8 years ago

One major difference between Jordy and Dez is that, Dez is "the guy," whereas Jordy is splitting receptions with other very good players.

Nelson and Cobb combined make a comparable salary to Dez and they also get more production between the two. This is from a previous thread. So for those of you who want someone who's "great," there you have it.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Jordy and Dez are pretty close when it comes to their percentage of targets for all the team passes over their careers. Its not like Dez gets 40% of the cowboys chances and Jordy gets 20% they are probably within 3 or 4 % points of each other and coming it around 25% or their teams total targets. I don't really buy into the "Dez is the guy" argument.

Zero2Cool
8 years ago

One major difference between Jordy and Dez is that, Dez is "the guy," whereas Jordy is splitting receptions with other very good players.

Nelson and Cobb combined make a comparable salary to Dez and they also get more production between the two. This is from a previous thread. So for those of you who want someone who's "great," there you have it.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Another major difference is neither is a Tight End which Richard Rodgers is and that is what we are talking about.

Gonna go down fighting folks! haha
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago

The drive for 100% is fine, as long as you can appreciate reaching the moon when your goal was the stars. I struggle to believe some can appreciate the moon.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

One should appreciate the moon well after the event of chasing the stars. If you're too busy chasing the stars you'll never appreciate the moon, and when it comes to sports you should always be chasing stars. When you're done playing you can look back and see the moon, then.

One of Michael Jordan's quotes is: Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there's footprints on the moon.

Jordan was Jordan because he wasn't normal or like you. He was beyond the quote good is the enemy of great...he was great is the enemy of perfection. He wanted everything all the time. That's what made him so unique. He didn't want to be like "most" people even like "most" of the greats. That drive that might be foreign to you is what made him. Cut from his JR. high basketball team to who he was took a lot more than appreciating the moon could ever bring.

Football should be played with a Jordan mentality. All out...all the time. Freaking go for it...you only have a few years of your life to do it. You can rest when you're done.

Is it any wonder JJ Watt is who he is? Here's him in his own words: “I have a limited amount of time to build a career out of football and be the best that I can be at this job. When this job (football) is over, I have the rest of my life to do what I want with my time. Right now my job is to watch film and, workout, and treat my body right. When I get done with football, then I can relax and drink as many beers as I want and hang out and be a regular guy. Right now, I am a football player and I will sacrifice whatever is necessary to be the best.”

I'll guarantee you we don't have enough guys on our club believing what JJ does. Good is the enemy of great to JJ... that drive. Wow.

EDIT: Here's another great JJ quote:

“I have no interest in being scared. I have no interest in mediocrity. I have no interest in average. I have no interest in being an OK player. I want to be great. I want to be the best, so that's why I set the bar extremely high.”

In other words, my goals are not Nick Perry's or Datone Jones.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Zero2Cool
8 years ago

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
8 years ago
Gosh I love those quotes from JJ.

Turn down for Watt
PackerTraxx
8 years ago
I really think RR will develop into a nice TE that will make cont on for TDs and 1st downs.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (5h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.