Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
An opinion and some comments you don't hear much about Jennings.. While I disagree with the notion that he isn't special, I don't think he is in the Fitzgerald's neighborhood in terms on contract dollars.

People seem to forget that most receivers don't blossom right out of the gate.. Jennings as been money from day one.. and IMO, only getting better. Scratching the surface of what he can do.. IMO.

Interesting read though

Read More...  

These negotations arent going to be easy, said a person familiar with the situation. [General manager] Ted Thompson really likes Jennings, but he doesn't believe in giving huge money to a wide receiver."

That last sentiment is consistent with what we were told on the day that the Packers hired Thompson. Heres what we wrote in an article from January 2005: Green Bay's new GM puts a high premium on quarterbacks, offensive tackles, defensive linemen and cornerbacks. He puts far less value on receivers, interior offensive linemen and safeties. Nothing that Thompson has done since taking over would contradict that statement. He opened up his wallet to keep Aaron Rodgers and Aaron Kampman and sign free agent Charles Woodson. He has yet to make a sizable investment in a receiver, an interior offensive lineman or a safety. Thats what makes the upcoming negotiations with Jennings - not to mention Nick Collins - so intriguing.

One comment will wrinkle a couple of peoples undies...

Is Jennings worth that type of deal? Hes very good, but hes not special, opined a former scout. Defensive coordinators respect but dont fear him. Look, Id love to have him on my team, but I wouldn't be willing to throw my entire salary structure out of whack to make it happen.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I'm guessing Thompson will re-sign Jennings, but look for him to have to work for the money: a sizable chunk of change up front with a lot of incentives. I doubt Thompson will want to commit a fortune to a player whose entire career could so easily be ended by one play (Javon Walker, anyone?).
UserPostedImage
dhazer
15 years ago
Ok well this could be an answer to one of the old questions, Why didn't we sign Randy Moss? As far as your comments NON you know i respect your views but you bring up the one play and boom the career is over aka Walker but whats the difference between that and say Rodgers getting the big bucks and he gets hit alot more. Every player is in jeopardy when it comes to injury. So now i have to ask this what happens if Ted Thompson lets Jennings walk will he still get the praise for not over paying players or will you be pissed?

Good find btw Z we have alot of unknowns coming up and to be honest Ted Thompson scares me.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
wils0646
15 years ago

Ok well this could be an answer to one of the old questions, Why didn't we sign Randy Moss? As far as your comments NON you know i respect your views but you bring up the one play and boom the career is over aka Walker but whats the difference between that and say Rodgers getting the big bucks and he gets hit alot more. Every player is in jeopardy when it comes to injury. So now i have to ask this what happens if Ted Thompson lets Jennings walk will he still get the praise for not over paying players or will you be pissed?

"dhazer" wrote:

I would be pissed. Jennings is the anti-JWalk with leadership skills and a rapport with AR.

I don't really like you comparing injuries at the QB position and WRs. WRs get injured way more often and have career ending injuries way more often. Think about it.
The Pack Will Be Back.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I thought of that myself, actually. Intuitively, however, I'd guess that if you calculated the mathematical odds of a career-ending injury shortly after signing a big contract for a quarterback versus a wide receiver, they're much lower for the quarterback. (How many quarterbacks do you see playing for 15 years compared to wide receivers?) I would be curious to see numbers backing this up or disproving it, but I wouldn't know how to go about finding them.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
easy or not, thompson will extend his contract. in my opinion, let greg walk will cause more fan unrest than trading favre.
UserPostedImage
wils0646
15 years ago

easy or not, thompson will extend his contract. in my opinion, let greg walk will cause more fan unrest than trading favre.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

True. I wouldn't like it one bit.
The Pack Will Be Back.
dhazer
15 years ago
I understand what you guys are saying but all in all it just takes one hit and the careers can change fast. Look at Carson Palmer, or even Tom Brady noone knows if they will ever be back to the good qbs they once were. It would be interesting to see if anyone could find out some of those stats. To be totally honest all the careers seem to be getting shorter and shorter in the nfl.

So there you go Wils you don't like me stating that well find the facts and show me the difference, Remember how many qbs have played since Brett started he throws the numbers out of wack along with manning. But yet you have guys like Owens and Bruce and they have played alot of years.

So good luck on finding some stats, BUTAFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE IT JUST TAKES ONE HIT FOR ANY PLAYER AND HIS CAREER COULD BE OVER.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
i don't think anyone's arguing with the statement that it only takes one hit, dhazer.
UserPostedImage
wils0646
15 years ago

I understand what you guys are saying but all in all it just takes one hit and the careers can change fast. Look at Carson Palmer, or even Tom Brady noone knows if they will ever be back to the good qbs they once were. It would be interesting to see if anyone could find out some of those stats. To be totally honest all the careers seem to be getting shorter and shorter in the nfl.

So there you go Wils you don't like me stating that well find the facts and show me the difference, Remember how many qbs have played since Brett started he throws the numbers out of wack along with manning. But yet you have guys like Owens and Bruce and they have played alot of years.

So good luck on finding some stats, BUTAFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE IT JUST TAKES ONE HIT FOR ANY PLAYER AND HIS CAREER COULD BE OVER.

"dhazer" wrote:

Of course all it takes is one hit. WR get hit on their lower extremeties/plus tackled harder much more than QBs do. They also run full speed almost every play.

The reason why Aaron Rodgers got paid so much is because the QB position is hard to fill with a franchise player. The QB position is also much more important than the WR position in terms of team success.

I really don't see how you can say QBs have a higher percentage of career ending injuries. I don't think it to be true and I wish I could find some statistics on it.
The Pack Will Be Back.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.