buckeyepackfan
8 years ago

I liked Quarless and his performance better than R. Rodgers ....... but that's water over the dam now. I welcome the prospect of seeing Backman get into games. I get a little sick of reading crap about talented players who "aren't ready". 31 other teams play young players routinely and mostly without consequences from inexperience. The Packers have too much of a "seniority system".

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

The Packers have the 2nd youngest roster in the league.

All they do is get the young guys ready and play them.

Some take longer than on others to get to that point.

When it comes to
the offense, I am betting Aaron has a say in who is ready and who is not(wr/TE).
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

I liked Quarless and his performance better than R. Rodgers ....... but that's water over the dam now. I welcome the prospect of seeing Backman get into games. I get a little sick of reading crap about talented players who "aren't ready". 31 other teams play young players routinely and mostly without consequences from inexperience. The Packers have too much of a "seniority system".

3rd youngest team in the league. When players are ready to play, they get playing time. Id rather keep winning, rather than play guys who are not ready or best option at the position.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Barfarn
8 years ago

Richard Rodgers is doing a pretty good job. Sure wish we had that freak athlete tight end though. I guess Finley was a luxury player.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Ask and you shall receive: Blake Annen 4:41 40 6041 247. 2014 UDFA signed by Philly and released b4 season started. Then signed to Bears PS and was put on roster in 2014. He was in camp w/ Bears in '15 and cut on last cut to 53. Lasted a week w/ Saints. Now he's here.

Not sure how can think "seniority" has ANYTHING to do w/ roster and playing decisions when you witness every day Seniors having their roster spots and game reps taken by their juniors; as the multitudes have pointed out.

GB simply has the most complicated offense in the league. And this magnifies why rookie receivers are slow to adapt, especially TEs, because they also need to know run and pass blocking calls, audibles and adjustments. If you want change so guys like Adams, Monty and Janis can have rookie stats like Panthers' Benjamen, you must lobby for the O to be dummied down.

One major positive by-product of the current GB system is the other 31 GMs come FA time dont know if guys like Jordy or Cobb are true #1s or just very good system guys. Heck even some GB fans dont recognize Jordy as a #1 after getting 1500 yards and a bushel of TDs 😂. And this means we get our receiving studs at a discount.

Another by product is that to be wildly successful the receiver doesn't have to have Blake Annenesque or Randy Moss type measurables; he just needs to know when and where to be; thus freeing up the 1st and 2nd round for other positional needs. Heck, Jones could have 14 TDs and 1200 yards this year and maybe not even get a nibble as a 2016 FA and rightly so; but he's unstoppable w/ Aaron Rodgers in this system.

And to give you a glimpse of the future, in about 8-10 years Ted Thompson or Eliot Wolf will draft a very smart QB viewed as not the most talented in late round 1 or early 2 and 10-12 years from now, well be saying: Favre, Rodgers and Conner Dinkleman [Zadok's younger brother], we are so lucky. It's not luck!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
8 years ago
A question:

Does this mean the "designation" cannot be used on anyone else this year. I know you can only have one at a time. But iis it possible to switch Quarless to "undesignated" later in the year and put the designation on another player if Ted Thompson deems it a good idea?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Barfarn
8 years ago

A question:

Does this mean the "designation" cannot be used on anyone else this year. I know you can only have one at a time. But iis it possible to switch Quarless to "undesignated" later in the year and put the designation on another player if Ted Thompson deems it a good idea?

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Nope, we used it, it's done!

The IR-DTR can only be used on a player w/ a major injury. And I’ve read the player must be able to return by end of season, so I’m thinking this means to be able to play week 17, which means the IR-DTR is useless after week 8 [But I’m not 100% certain it cannot be used, EG, on week 11 and the player can come back week 20 before Super Bowl].

It seems a bit of a waste on Q, so should we have “saved it?” I don’t think so, because the odds of using it in the next 4-5 weeks is pretty slim. Most injuries that don’t take a guy out for the year are too minor to use for the DTR. And if we don’t use it now, who do we cut? We cut J. Thomas, a guy that can play. I say use it now, gain the benefit of safely tucking Q away until about week 12. And Backman, Rodgers, Kuhn and Rip will cover the 58 offensive and 4 ST snaps Q had over the last 3 games until his return. And if a good player would have ended up qualifying for the DTR in the next few weeks, then it might end up being a mistake; but that guy can just be carried on 53 like Bulaga is now.
Smokey
8 years ago
Backman may be the next GB TE to go to the pro-bowl, but not until he masters the position at the pro level. I would like to see that happen, but lets not overlook the fact that Coach McCarthy and his staff retained Quarless for the 53 man roster because they decided that he would be an asset for the team. They judged his skills and found him Packer worthy, can we say we are better judges than them ?

[cheers]
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
8 years ago

Nope, we used it, it's done!

The IR-DTR can only be used on a player w/ a major injury. And I’ve read the player must be able to return by end of season, so I’m thinking this means to be able to play week 17, which means the IR-DTR is useless after week 8 [But I’m not 100% certain it cannot be used, EG, on week 11 and the player can come back week 20 before Super Bowl].

It seems a bit of a waste on Q, so should we have “saved it?” I don’t think so, because the odds of using it in the next 4-5 weeks is pretty slim. Most injuries that don’t take a guy out for the year are too minor to use for the DTR. And if we don’t use it now, who do we cut? We cut J. Thomas, a guy that can play. I say use it now, gain the benefit of safely tucking Q away until about week 12. And Backman, Rodgers, Kuhn and Rip will cover the 58 offensive and 4 ST snaps Q had over the last 3 games until his return. And if a good player would have ended up qualifying for the DTR in the next few weeks, then it might end up being a mistake; but that guy can just be carried on 53 like Bulaga is now.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

I agree.

I don't think we wasted the designation. It's very unlikely that you'll use it on a more important player than Quarless, who goes out for the specific amount of time that makes you want to put him on short term IR and at a position that we have less depth at than TE.

That last one, I think, must've played a big role in wanting to get him back later in the year. Between Rodgers, who hasn't been exactly lighting it up, and Backman, a sixth round rookie, you're getting awfully thin at TE. Quarless is an awfully average player, but you know what you have in him. I think that much showed last week on the two passes he caught when A. Rodgers needed a safety blanket.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (5h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.