JNelson87
15 years ago

The school teaches kids with Dyslexia and

The problem here is that somebody scheduled a team that hasn't won in 4 years, with a team that challenged for the state title the year before.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

In that case, somebody should have expected this to happen. They should have never put those two teams against eachother, unless of course they had no choice If you're up by a large amount at halftime, it's almost instinct to play the score and not go out there to embarrass the opposing team(which I don't think was their intention). But by goin out there in the 2nd half and start draining 3's like you were down by 60 is wrong.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago
Has anybody ever seen the movie, "Let it ride"?

My buddy and I started out (bored) watching the "Kick-off Classic", I think it was the inaugural one, (1983). He is from Williamsport, PA. BIG Penn State fan. ME? I didn't give a damn about college football, but, like I said, we were bored. We bet each other 50 bucks (with the spread). He had Penn State, I had Nebraska. Penn State was favored :thumbleft:

Nebraska 44-6 I'm up 50. He had a bookie, I had 50 dollars in found money. I "let it ride." Next week- Wyoming 56-20. up 100. Next week Minnesota 84-13 Up 200. Next week UCLA 42-10 Up 400. Next week Syracuse 63-7 Up 800. (NOW I'm getting nervous, lol) I bail for the next week, Nebraska wins again 14-10 BUT DOES NOT COVER, but I'm out lol.
I get back in next week, because due to the closeness of the previous week, the line is not so obscene. 34-13 (Missouri I think) UP 1600. I bail for a couple weeks, contemplate my next move, wait until Kansas, and get GREEDY. There is a prop bet on (Mike?) Rozier. You should know that Nebraska is averaging about 50+ points a game and 400 yards RUSHING per game. Teams do not want to play them in their own stadiums, because that means that Osborne did not bring his 4th string on the road trip, as contrasted to throwing them in when at home. THAT is how good Nebraska was that year.

ANYWAY, the prop bet is this... Over/Under Rozier, 1st HALF, 200 yards rushing, 3-1. I put 800 on the game itself, and 800 on the + prop bet. Rozier rushed for 230 yards in the half, and the Cornhuskers beat Kansas 67-13 (btw, to put this in perspective, my recollection was the "line" was 49 points)

4800.00 from sitting in a bar, bored, with a Penn State fan.

I still like Nebraska.

Sorry to go off-topic, but this thread reminded me of when ass-whippings are a good thing.
Cheesey
15 years ago
All it is is a case of poor sportsmanship.
A "Christian" school coach should know better then that.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago

The school teaches kids with Dyslexia and

The problem here is that somebody scheduled a team that hasn't won in 4 years, with a team that challenged for the state title the year before.

"JNelson87" wrote:

In that case, somebody should have expected this to happen. They should have never put those two teams against eachother, unless of course they had no choice If you're up by a large amount at halftime, it's almost instinct to play the score and not go out there to embarrass the opposing team(which I don't think was their intention). But by goin out there in the 2nd half and start draining 3's like you were down by 60 is wrong.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

for girls HS BBall, scoring 3's is a lower probability than for boys. I don't know if it has been posted but here is the scoring by qtr.

35, 24, 29, 12

My question is, it the team has its worst players on the court, and are still mopping the floor with them, what else are they to do. Going outside and using the time to improve their outside shooting isn't a bad idea. Better than getting close and having a better chance of scoring. At least with the 3s the other team has a chance to get more rebounds.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Those kids battled their ass off for their coach, only to see him get canned. That sends a great message. Yes kids, work hard for me, do very well and I'll lose my job because I didn't throttle you kids back from having fun.

The shooting 3 pointers at the fourth quarter, if that's by the starters, I disagree, but if it was being done by 2nd, 3rd and so forth stringers. I see no problem with it.

You play to win the game. They had the game won, and if it was the bench players tallying it up, get over it.

What do we tell our kids? IT IS JUST A GAME! Now someone lost their job over something that, is JUST A GAME.

Very hypocritical in my opinion. I haven't thought much about this though, that's just my first impression of this story.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago
We live in a time when many schools don't even keep score, for fear of hurting the poor self asteem of the "losing" team.
"Participation trophies for EVERYONE!!!"

This kind of unnecessary blowout is just more fuel for the "PC" crowd as to why we shouldn't keep score.
When you are up 50-0, THROTTLE BACK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
You have the game won, no need to humiliate the other team.
Sportsmanship is something that has to be TAUGHT. It doesn't come automatic.
JMO
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago
There are several youtube videos up on this subject. I watched the one focusing on the losing team. They are "over" it, and also, due to the publicity, are getting invited to things like Mavericks games.

Here is another tidbit:

Winning team now wants to forfeit 
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
It's just a game ... that has lost a lot of muster with this sort of thing. Again, if the starters were going full throttle in the 4th, that I do not agree with. But if it was bench players who don't get much playing time going full throttle in the fourth, I think that's fine and people need to get the hell over it. I know if I was a bench player and didn't' get a lot of time I sure as hell wouldn't be easing off. I'd be getting as much practice time on the court as I could.

It is JUST A GAME, after all.

Many variances to this story that could change ones perception. Such as if the coach was leaving the starters in hoping to get 100 points, that's shitty. If he yanked his starters in the 3rd and his bench players were able to rack up points too, I think it's completely absurd for anyone to be upset about it. You don't play DOWN to your competition.

I know what its like to get throttled. My high school teams couldn't score worth a lick. The only thing were known for was our wrestling teams. We lost every game in football for quite sometime. Got our asses handed to us. Know what? We didn't care, it was fun to PLAY THE GAME and it was just that, a game. Did it suck we got beat every game? Yeah, but you get over it. There's more to life than high school sports, or sports for that matter.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

We live in a time when many schools don't even keep score, for fear of hurting the poor self asteem of the "losing" team.

This kind of unnecessary blowout is just more fuel for the "PC" crowd as to why we shouldn't keep score.
JMO

"Cheesey" wrote:

Heh. Losing 100-0 might be a good thing for these kids.

And agreed with you about political correctness.

A little tidbit. A good friend of mine was a typical older brother. used to beat up his little brother all the time. Well, his brother grew up to be a competing bodybuilder, a heck of a musician, and has a PhD (and a hot wife). Perhaps getting beat up was a good thing?

Of course, that will go right over a PC person's head.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Formo
15 years ago

JMO

"Cheesey" wrote:

I'm with you on the PC crap..

But, if the losing team would learn to play, the winning team wouldn't have to throttle back. When it rains, it pours.

I didn't see the the winning coach got fired.. That's absurd! Christian school or not.. Also, another absurdity, is that the winning team FORFEITED!

What.
The.
Crap?

I will say, that league should have a rule in play that if one team is winning by a specific margin, that they end the game. But, because they DON'T have a rule like that, the winning team showed the losing team how to play basketball.

Also, remember fellas.. these are girls. Shooting 3s IS throttling off.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.