go.pack.go.
15 years ago

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 01/27/2009

It's that time of year for Packers.com to take a look at some of the oddities in the final statistics from 2008. It wasn't as much fun compiling these as a year ago, after a 13-3 campaign, but there are some interesting nuggets nonetheless.

So, without further ado, here's the latest version following the team's 6-10 record in 2008. They're numbered zero through 16, one for every game, plus the bye week.

0: The number of offensive possessions the Packers had in two overtime games this season. Both OT periods, at Tennessee and at Chicago, ended as the Titans and Bears won the coin tosses and kicked field goals on the opening drives. Prior to '08, the Packers' last two regular-season overtime games also ended in one possession, with Green Bay coming out on top by scoring a touchdown on the first snap at Denver in '07 and kicking a field goal on the opening OT drive vs. Detroit in '05.

Some in the media have been calling for the NFL to look into changing the current sudden-death overtime format. They point out that in the last five years, 28 of 72 overtime games, or 39 percent, have been decided in one possession. The Packers have been involved in four of those, going 2-2. In the Packers' overtime loss to the N.Y. Giants in the NFC Championship last year, the extra session lasted two possessions.

1: The number of blocked field goals by the Packers this season. Johnny Jolly blocked a 45-yard attempt by Indianapolis' Adam Vinatieri in the third quarter on Oct. 19. It marked the first blocked field goal by the Packers in the Mike McCarthy era, with the previous one coming by Cullen Jenkins on Nov. 6, 2005, vs. Pittsburgh. Green Bay opponents blocked two of Mason Crosby's field goals this season, in the opener against Minnesota (Kevin Williams) and in Week 16 at Chicago (Alex Brown).

2: The number of 2-point conversions attempted and made by the Packers, also the first of the McCarthy era, and they came in back-to-back weeks. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers completed 2-point passes to Ruvell Martin at New Orleans on Nov. 24 and to Greg Jennings on Nov. 30 vs. Carolina. The Packers didn't even attempt a 2-point conversion in either of McCarthy's first two seasons.

3: The number of different defensive players who started at the right defensive end position following Jenkins' season-ending injury in Week 4. Michael Montgomery (8), Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (1) and Jeremy Thompson (3) all started games there over the season's final 12 games. The other three spots on the defensive line had a total of three starters all season - Aaron Kampman at left defensive end, Ryan Pickett at left defensive tackle and Johnny Jolly at right defensive tackle all started every game.

4: The number of games the Packers did not intercept at least one pass. The Green Bay secondary, featuring Pro Bowlers Charles Woodson and Nick Collins, intercepted passes in 12 games but did not get a pick at Tennessee (Nov. 2), vs. Chicago (Nov. 16), vs. Carolina (Nov. 30) or at Jacksonville (Dec. 14). The Packers recorded multiple interceptions seven times and posted a season-best three on three different occasions - at Detroit on Sept. 14, at Tampa Bay on Sept. 28 and at Minnesota on Nov. 9.

5: The number of 100-yard receiving games turned in by Jennings, one more than the total of 100-yard games he had in his first two seasons combined. Jennings put up a career-best 167 yards at Detroit on Sept. 14, which beat the 141 yards he had at Denver on Oct. 29, 2007. With nine 100-yard games in three seasons, Jennings is at nearly half of Donald Driver's career total of 20 over the past 10 years.

6: The number of fumbles the Houston Texans were charged with against the Packers on Dec. 7, losing three of them. That was the most fumbles by a Green Bay opponent since Atlanta also had six (also losing three) on Nov. 13, 2005. The last time the Packers fumbled six times was in a 17-14 loss to Philadelphia on a rainy Monday night at Lambeau Field, Nov. 10, 2003. The Packers lost two of those fumbles.

7: The number of times the Packers scored 10 or more points in the fourth quarter this season. Unfortunately, the Packers' record in those seven games was just 4-3. The Packers scored 150 of their 419 points in the fourth quarter this season, by far their most productive quarter at 35.8 percent, and they were never shut out in the fourth. Contrast that with the first quarter, which was the team's worst with just 61 points (14.6 percent). The Packers were blanked in the first quarter six times and never scored more than seven points in the opening quarter until Week 17.

8: The number of replay challenges by opposing coaches this season, and they were successful only one time. Opposing teams were 0-for-7 in their challenges until the season finale when Detroit challenged Ryan Grant's 80-yard touchdown run and had it changed to a 21-yard run when it was ruled Grant was down by contact. For the Packers, McCarthy was successful on 4-of-7 challenges this season, a 57 percent rate that was tops in the NFC North, ahead of Minnesota (5-of-11, 45 percent), Chicago (4-of-10, 40 percent) and Detroit (4-of-10, 40 percent).

9: The number of points the Packers scored on their opening drives of second halves. Green Bay posted just three field goals coming out of the locker room at halftime, against Dallas, Indianapolis and Carolina. The opening drive of the game wasn't much better, as the Packers scored just 13 points all season on their first possession. All told, the Packers were outscored 64-22 on the opening drives of each half.

10: The number of non-offensive touchdowns scored in the Packers' games this season, nine of them by Green Bay. The Packers had seven defensive touchdowns (six interception returns, one fumble return) and two special teams touchdowns (both punt returns), while their opponents had just one defensive touchdown, a fumble return by Tampa Bay on Sept. 28.

11: The total number of defensive pass interference penalties enforced in the Packers' games this season, nine of them against the Packers. Opponents were called for just two defensive pass interference penalties for 32 yards, while the Packers' nine infractions cost them 150 yards. Neither of the Packers' Pro Bowlers, Woodson or Collins, had a pass interference penalty this season, and those two led the team in passes defensed, with 20 and 18, respectively.

12: The fewest pass completions by a Green Bay opponent this season. It happened twice, as Seattle's Charlie Frye was just 12-of-23 for 83 yards and Carolina's Jake Delhomme was 12-of-17 for 177 yards. Delhomme was just 10-of-15 for 87 yards until his last two passes, both to Steve Smith for a total of 90 yards, set up the Panthers' final two touchdowns in the fourth quarter.

13: The number of Packers scoring drives of 80 yards or longer. The Packers had 10 scoring drives of between 80 and 89 yards and three more longer than 90. Opponents had 11 scoring drives of 80 yards or longer, including two longer than 90. Interestingly, none of those 24 drives of 80-plus yards resulted in field goals. All of them produced touchdowns.

14: The number of times either Jennings or Driver led the Packers in receiving yards in a game. Only twice did someone else lead the team in that category. Brandon Jackson had a team-best 37 yards against Indianapolis on Oct. 19, and James Jones had 132 yards at Jacksonville on Dec. 14. In addition, there were only three times someone other than Jennings or Driver led the team in receptions. Jackson had five catches vs. Atlanta on Oct. 5 and six vs. Indy, while tight end Donald Lee had six receptions vs. Chicago on Nov. 16.

15: The season-high in tackles by one defensive player for the Packers. Montgomery posted 15, including 11 solo, at Tennessee on Nov. 2. Both of those totals were career-highs for Montgomery, who didn't even start the game.

16: The number of plays on the Packers' longest scoring drive in terms of snaps and time consumed in 2008. Against Carolina, the Packers drove 79 yards in 16 plays, possessing the ball for 9 minutes, 13 seconds, of the fourth quarter, and kicked a 19-yard field goal. For the season, the Packers had 26 scoring drives of 10 plays-or-more, including three of 15 plays. Unfortunately, almost half of those 10-or-more-play drives, 12 of them, resulted in field goals.

UserPostedImage
warhawk
15 years ago
How about the number of freaking times we lost the game in the last three minutes or a team tied it up and THEN beat us in overtime.

My guess is it's a record number and one that will last much beyond my years on earth.

I know of both the Bears and Titans coming back and then beating us in OT. Carolina, Jacksonville, and, Vikes. I think there's at least one more which means 33% of games played were lost in the last couple of minutes.

It looks to me like if Capers can prevent the other team from scoring the last time they have the ball and we score more on the opening drive of both halves we will go unfreakingdefeated.
"The train is leaving the station."
buckeyepackfan
15 years ago
IMHO if you look at a game as a 60 minute affair, #9 and #16 tell the biggest stories.

Packers started slow most games and could not finish off long drives with TD's.

Most of the Td drives(or lack of) I put right on the back of MM, playing it trying not to lose the game instead of playing to win the game.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
I'm not putting 100% on McCarthy. I think that he called the same types of plays as he did with Brett Favre. Favre just audibled out of a lot of them. This year, there were a lot of run - pass options that Rodgers stayed with the run. I'm sure he did the same with Favre.

That is something Aaron Rodgers is going to get better at with experience.

By the way, guys, please don't make this a Favre - Rodgers argument thread. I think you all know what I'm talking about.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
15 years ago
Then why mention him? :icon_smile: :icon_smile: :icon_smile:
zombieslayer
15 years ago

IMHO if you look at a game as a 60 minute affair, #9 and #16 tell the biggest stories.

Most of the Td drives(or lack of) I put right on the back of Mike McCarthy, playing it trying not to lose the game instead of playing to win the game.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Oh, completely agreed. Once we get a lead, no matter how small it is, Mike McCarthy starts getting all conservative. That was driving me crazy. You can ask my wife. She heard me screaming at the TV from the other room.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
go.pack.go.
15 years ago

Then why mention him? :icon_smile: :icon_smile: :icon_smile:

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

No I mean like don't start saying stuff like "Rodgers can't win games" blah blah blah stuff like that.

Have discussions about the audible-ing stuff, but don't derail the whole thread into a Favre Rodgers argument. Know what I'm sayin'?
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
15 years ago
I'm just messin", instead of calling a run play with option to audible to pass, call a pass play with option to audible to run.

Contrary to the beliefs of many on this forum, I never had a problem with Aaron Rodgers being the starting qb for The Packers.

I still say he should have been pushing 5000 yds for the season and had 35 td's, interception # probably would have been higher but you take the good with the bad.

I said it all year, The Packers playmakers are their WR's, get them on the field and use them to set up the run.
bozz_2006
15 years ago

Most of the Td drives(or lack of) I put right on the back of Mike McCarthy, playing it trying not to lose the game instead of playing to win the game.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Oh, completely agreed. Once we get a lead, no matter how small it is, Mike McCarthy starts getting all conservative. That was driving me crazy. You can ask my wife. She heard me screaming at the TV from the other room.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

so you're wife avoids you when you're watching the Packers too, huh?
UserPostedImage
TengoJuego
15 years ago

4: The number of games the Packers did not intercept at least one pass. The Green Bay secondary, featuring Pro Bowlers Charles Woodson and Nick Collins, intercepted passes in 12 games but did not get a pick at Tennessee (Nov. 2), vs. Chicago (Nov. 16), vs. Carolina (Nov. 30) or at Jacksonville (Dec. 14). The Packers recorded multiple interceptions seven times and posted a season-best three on three different occasions - at Detroit on Sept. 14, at Tampa Bay on Sept. 28 and at Minnesota on Nov. 9.

11: The total number of defensive pass interference penalties enforced in the Packers' games this season, nine of them against the Packers. Opponents were called for just two defensive pass interference penalties for 32 yards, while the Packers' nine infractions cost them 150 yards. Neither of the Packers' Pro Bowlers, Woodson or Collins, had a pass interference penalty this season, and those two led the team in passes defensed, with 20 and 18, respectively.

15: The season-high in tackles by one defensive player for the Packers. Montgomery posted 15, including 11 solo, at Tennessee on Nov. 2. Both of those totals were career-highs for Montgomery, who didn't even start the game.

WOW! These three really stuck out to me.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.