steveishere
8 years ago
Three reasons Packers offense is struggling, PFF 

1. Aaron Rodgers’ accuracy

There was a time where Rodgers was the most accurate quarterback in the league. In each year from 2011 to 2013, Rodgers led the league in accuracy percentage. In 2014 his accuracy declined slightly to be just the eighth-best quarterback in the league. He also had a strong start to the 2015 season, with a 79.7 percent accuracy rate that was fifth-best at the time.

Since then, however, he has been the sixth-worst quarterback in terms of accuracy percentage at 67.5. At most depths Rodgers saw that initial decline, but it was harder to notice because Rodgers was more accurate on very deep passes, which helped keep his numbers up. However, in recent weeks, his accuracy regressed on those very deep passes, and his accuracy has declined significantly when his depth of pass has been between 5 and 20 yards. You can see the evidence of this in the following chart (numbers listed are his accuracy percentages at each depth):

For whatever reason since around week 6 Rodgers accuracy has nosedived and we lead the league in drops. They don't even bring up things like weak play calling or players going through the motions which are huge problems. I'm worried McCarthy and Clements have lost the players which is not something that's going to get fixed by drilling more fundamentals. After several weeks of this the staff has either believed everything has been fine and not tried significantly to fix all of these issues or they've been tuned out by the players. I'm not sure anything short of a major staff/personnel shakeup is going to fix any of it.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Three reasons Packers offense is struggling, PFF 

For whatever reason since around week 6 Rodgers accuracy has nosedived and we lead the league in drops. They don't even bring up things like weak play calling or players going through the motions which are huge problems. I'm worried McCarthy and Clements have lost the players which is not something that's going to get fixed by drilling more fundamentals. After several weeks of this the staff has either believed everything has been fine and not tried significantly to fix all of these issues or they've been tuned out by the players. I'm not sure anything short of a major staff/personnel shakeup is going to fix any of it.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

Rodgers accuracy was more of an illusion than fact though because a large portion of those passes weren't even 10 yards in the air. We noticed this early in the season and looks like defenses picked up on it and planned accordingly.

According to every other statistic outlet (which are all using Stats Inc, LLC) I'm finding, the Packers are not leading the league  in drops . The team with the most has 12 more than the Packers.

I'd rather see James Jones and Randall Cobb sit out a game or two so they can let their bodies heal appropriately. That shoulder is surely bugging Cobb and no one can argue Jones hamstring is limiting him big time.

Last week our inactives were.
QB Brett Hundley
DB Micah Hyde
RB Alonzo Harris
LB Andy Mulumba
C Corey Linsley
WR Jared Abbrederis
WR Ty Montgomery

Sit Jones and Cobb and have Harris and Mulumba up. Go smashmouth football. If Corey Linsley is available, activate him in favor of Davante Adams and use Tretter as a TE.

Run the ball 45 times and let the defense (...) win the game. At worst, the Packers come out of the two games 7 - 6 with healthier receivers for the last four games of the season and get a good training session vs Cowboys at home.

Radical (probably stupid idea lol), but I wouldn't judge them on it. I would say, hey, they are trying something new, let's see how it goes.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
8 years ago
It's leading the league in drops in the last 6 weeks or whatever the sample was. We had 1 drop in the first month or so and since then we've had like 21. Went from best to worst.
shield4life
8 years ago
Problem #1 - Offensive Line.

Seems like the offensive line has forgotten how to pick up a blitz. Penalties killing drives.

Problem #2 - Davante Adams & The WR Corps.

Davante Adams drops in the past games are unacceptable. Cobb hasn't been himself since his got double coverage on him. The WR aren't able to get any separation.

(While this is happening in the meantime we've got problem #1 happening as well)

Problem #3 - Aaron Rodgers

Seems like in some plays he keeps holding on to the ball way to long. Some sacks that can be avoided by throwing the ball. Some occasions to run and pick up some yards but he decides to throw it.

(In which while this is happening we've got problem #1 & problem #2 happening as well.)

Overall problem: The Offense

Seems like it's a mental breakdown for the whole o-line. They are all afraid to just go out there and play some ball. They need to keep it simple, run some slants. Small pick ups instead of always looking for the TD play.

Here's what's happening on a 4 down basis.

1st down & 10

Rodgers snaps, o-line breaking down ... Rodgers rolls out since no WR is getting any separation and throws it to Adams pass dropped.

2nd Down & 10

Rodgers snaps, 0-line breaking down again ... Rodgers rolls out ... WR still not getting separation and Rodgers get sacked.

3rd down & 13

Rodgers snaps, o-line breaking down WR not getting open, TE Rodgers gets open pass caught but o-line did holding penalty on the blitzer.

3rd down & 23

Rodgers snaps ... now they decided to go a short throw finally catches the ball and it's ...

4th and 15.

That's our problem.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
nerdmann
8 years ago
When Aaron takes the ball from under center, takes three steps and releases it in under 3 seconds, we fare much, much better.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
gbguy20
8 years ago

When Aaron takes the ball from under center, takes three steps and releases it in under 3 seconds, we fare much, much better.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Agreed. This pistol shit needs to go. Having to do a drop back might force him to be fundamentally sound too and improve his accuracy.
beast
8 years ago

I still wonder if Rodgers might of gotten a concussion in the Broncos game that went unnoticed, as he looked very different than usual in that and the Panthers game and started looking more himself in games since.

But I think a huge problem for the Packers has been they had two very very good WRs for a long long time, which if you doubled one, the other would step up and make plays and they usually had a 3rd WR which could once in a while step up huge if they kept putting him in one on ones.

Now they just have Cobb, who is being doubled, and no one else been able to step up other than Adams who has his drops problems... R. Rodgers and Jones have been decent but not game changers. And while Abbrederis and Montgomery have done some very nice things and might be the keys to opening up the offense, they haven't been able to get and stay healthy.

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
8 years ago
With the way our receivers have been playing there is literally no reason not to give Janis a chance. There is no longer risk involved, it can't get any worse.
nerdmann
8 years ago

Agreed. This pistol shit needs to go. Having to do a drop back might force him to be fundamentally sound too and improve his accuracy.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

When the ball comes out in a uniform way every time, there should be fewer drops.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DarkaneRules
8 years ago
With the gloves these receivers wear nowadays, I am shocked when any receiver on any team drops a pass.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (12h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.