nerdmann
8 years ago
I'm really KIND OF over this, and I'm just trying to come to terms with what happened here.

I'm a big believer in "rookie mistakes." You've got young guys that can play so you get them out there. But you know they're on a learning curve. They're going to make mistakes here and there. You live with that, because the good by far outweighs the bad, and the mistakes are lessons learned.

But damn. This is NOT the first time there has been a "miscommunication" back there. That shit has gone on for YEARS. So can we really attribute it to a rookie mistake? Granted, as a devil's advocate I would say that since they supposedly "simplified" the system it's happened less. In fact, it still happens, but it does seem to be significantly less often than it was. So maybe it WAS just a rookie mistake.

They always say, ONE PLAY doesn't win or lose a game, and I do believe in that. Even in OT. I mean, if Mike doesn't go into a shell and "play not to lose" in the 4th quarter, things might have been different. HOnestly, that's the biggest thing that pissed me off. I need to rewatch the game, but it just seemed that he sacrificed all the momentum we'd worked hard to build for the entire game.

It's not just the play calling. It's the way he emotionally contracts, the whole team tightens up and plays with anxiety.

But my main point for this thread is, was that just a rookie learning opportunity? Or was that the essence of who Dom is, a guy who can't get his guys on the same page? I guess I'm just putting it down to rookie inexperience.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
luigis
8 years ago
Honestly I don't mind leaving Fitz open, it was an all out blitz, they dodged, frequently somebody is open.
I do mind the zone defense because it never ever works (for us)
And if they just tackle Fitz it is just a failed blitz and a 15 yard gain for them. Bad luck but the game is not lost.

We are a finesse team, we don't hit, we don't tackle... I hate it.

Consider the Floyd TD after the deflection, did ANY of our players hit Floyd to see if they can get the ball loose? No, they just gave up, they don't hit, they don't tackle....

Luis
rabidgopher04
8 years ago
I'd love to see the Packers implement the Hawk Tackle like Seattle. They are solid, strong tacklers. It's a great method.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
Barfarn
8 years ago

I'm really KIND OF over this, and I'm just trying to come to terms with what happened here.

I'm a big believer in "rookie mistakes." You've got young guys that can play so you get them out there. But you know they're on a learning curve. They're going to make mistakes here and there. You live with that, because the good by far outweighs the bad, and the mistakes are lessons learned.

But damn. This is NOT the first time there has been a "miscommunication" back there. That shit has gone on for YEARS. So can we really attribute it to a rookie mistake? Granted, as a devil's advocate I would say that since they supposedly "simplified" the system it's happened less. In fact, it still happens, but it does seem to be significantly less often than it was. So maybe it WAS just a rookie mistake.

They always say, ONE PLAY doesn't win or lose a game, and I do believe in that. Even in OT. I mean, if Mike doesn't go into a shell and "play not to lose" in the 4th quarter, things might have been different. HOnestly, that's the biggest thing that pissed me off. I need to rewatch the game, but it just seemed that he sacrificed all the momentum we'd worked hard to build for the entire game.

It's not just the play calling. It's the way he emotionally contracts, the whole team tightens up and plays with anxiety.

But my main point for this thread is, was that just a rookie learning opportunity? Or was that the essence of who Dom is, a guy who can't get his guys on the same page? I guess I'm just putting it down to rookie inexperience.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Loud mouth McGinn blamed Peppers, what a fool. I didn't know what the heck happened but anyone who thinks Peppers was supposed to cover Fitz in that big of a zone is dope.

It wasn't "a missed assignment" or "miscommunication" it was an incorrect spot read. Capers said that if Fitz crosses behind Peppers then Randall was to stay with him; this presumes that if Fitz crossed Peppers' face then Randall was to let him go . Randall had to process where Fitz was going in a split second and he just got it wrong. Really tough situation to put a rookie in; but the fact he is trusted in these situations shows how amazing Randall is. This is why the rule was established that rookie CBs can never play zone in the NFL; but Randall broke the rule; the guy is a flat out stud. It was the perfect storm, Palmer wasn't sacked and he should have been; Randall blew the coverage; for some reason Dix didn't see Randall's blown coverage; and Dix and everyone else was flowing to Palmer's right because we all know you cant throw across the field, so if Fitz was open to the right or Palmer was flushed out left, it would have only been a 20-30 yard gain. And then the way Fitz weaved was part poor tackling angles, part Burnett missing a shot not only at a tackle but also just to at least slow him down and a great HOF player making a play.

Or its all scripted like the WWF 😂. Why was only 1 AZ guy in end zone for hail mary? Why didn't the coin flip? How could Oswald get off 3 shots from the school book depository? I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

Honestly I don't mind leaving Fitz open, it was an all out blitz, they dodged, frequently somebody is open.
I do mind the zone defense because it never ever works (for us)
And if they just tackle Fitz it is just a failed blitz and a 15 yard gain for them. Bad luck but the game is not lost.

We are a finesse team, we don't hit, we don't tackle... I hate it.

Consider the Floyd TD after the deflection, did ANY of our players hit Floyd to see if they can get the ball loose? No, they just gave up, they don't hit, they don't tackle....

Originally Posted by: luigis 

Quit with the Zone defense crap already. Seldom is any team in 100% man coverage. There is typically always some level of zone mixed in.

ON the Fitz play that is exactly the case. 3 guys (shields, Hayward and Randall) were in man coverage on three WR. 3 guys, (peppers, Burnett and Ha-Ha) were in Zone coverage.

And it was one of the Man coverages that really messed up.

I want to believe this is just a rookie mistake. It wasn't that he had to pick which guy to cover, he clearly thought they were in a coverage where he had a deep outside zone to cover rather than sticking with Fitz.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

Loud mouth McGinn blamed Peppers, what a fool. I didn't know what the heck happened but anyone who thinks Peppers was supposed to cover Fitz in that big of a zone is dope.

It wasn't "a missed assignment" or "miscommunication" it was an incorrect spot read. Capers said that if Fitz crosses behind Peppers then Randall was to stay with him; this presumes that if Fitz crossed Peppers' face then Randall was to let him go . Randall had to process where Fitz was going in a split second and he just got it wrong. Really tough situation to put a rookie in; but the fact he is trusted in these situations shows how amazing Randall is. This is why the rule was established that rookie CBs can never play zone in the NFL; but Randall broke the rule; the guy is a flat out stud. It was the perfect storm, Palmer wasn't sacked and he should have been; Randall blew the coverage; for some reason Dix didn't see Randall's blown coverage; and Dix and everyone else was flowing to Palmer's right because we all know you cant throw across the field, so if Fitz was open to the right or Palmer was flushed out left, it would have only been a 20-30 yard gain. And then the way Fitz weaved was part poor tackling angles, part Burnett missing a shot not only at a tackle but also just to at least slow him down and a great HOF player making a play.

Or its all scripted like the WWF 😂. Why was only 1 AZ guy in end zone for hail mary? Why didn't the coin flip? How could Oswald get off 3 shots from the school book depository? I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

For the first part. Peppers himself came out and said. I screwed up. That he was supposed to stay in his zone and that when he saw Palmer escape the pocket he vacated his zone to go after Palmer. So that is where McGinn got that from.

I would say it was completely a MISSED ASSIGNMENT. Randall responsibility was Fitz no matter where Fitz went. If Fitz went shallow across, Randall is suppose to back off and let Peppers cover him short, but Randall is still supposed to follow him across the field deeper to protect from Fitz turning up field again. Randall completely dropped him and dropped into a Zone coverage.
DakotaT
8 years ago
He should have been tackled by Shields along the sideline. Horrible fucking angle taken and even worse attempt at a tackle.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

He should have been tackled by Shields along the sideline. Horrible fucking angle taken and even worse attempt at a tackle.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

The first priority for Shields once Fitz is rolling down the sidelines is to cut him off and force him to cut back inside where the pursuit of the defense should catch him. The biggest MISS was Clay, he was in position when Fitz turned in where he could have wrapped up Fitz's legs and didn't.
Porforis
8 years ago
Peppers, Randall, Shields, Clay, Burnett, Dix.... Everyone's fault!
buckeyepackfan
8 years ago

Peppers, Randall, Shields, Clay, Burnett, Dix.... Everyone's fault!

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Could it be Palmer made a great play escaping the sack and finding Fitzgerald who made a great play trying to score?

We have all seen Aaron do it a thousand times,
Extend a play and burn the defense.

Wish some would stop with the blame game.

TEAM SPORT!

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.