Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
8 years ago
This thread still has need of more members opinions. I can't predict what/or who Ted Thompson feels the Packers should acquire this off season.

IMO, the Packers greatest need is for a DEEP THREAT WR. While I don't have an abundance of confidence in Cobb or Adams, Nelson should return to form in 2016. Janis and Abby have shown promise, but I'm hoping for a WR (from the Draft or Free Agency) that is at least
6ft 2in , Extra Large Soft Hands, and presents a REAL Deep Threat. Jones has been an asset, but he is just not the consistent deep speed threat that Aaron Rodgers needs.

The remaining Draft picks may fall to the best player available format, where I hope that special attention will be given to Defensive players. My next choice would be CB or ILB.

GO PACK GO !

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago
McGinn's rundown  on the top prospects.

These are the guys I like.

Ezekiel Elliott*, RB, Ohio State: 6-0, 225. Two-year starter with 592 carries for 3,961 yards (6.7) and 43 TDs. "He's a complete three-down back," one scout said. "He's really good." Stunned some scouts by telling reporters after loss to Michigan State that he didn't get the ball enough and was done as a Buckeye. "Declaring for the draft and making those statements right after a loss were very disappointing," another scout said. "Is he a selfish player? Is it all about him? He's going to have to answer a lot of questions." Ran a 4.47 40.

Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama: 6-3, 307. Played two seasons of junior college before starting two seasons for Crimson Tide. "I didn't realize how well he ran until he chased down (Carson) Wentz in the Senior Bowl," one scout said. "I'd take him (mid-first round) and not look back. You don't see his pass rush but I think he can. I think he can play nose, too." Finished with 6½ sacks and 21½ tackles for loss. "He doesn't thrill me," another scout said. "He's a nose tackle. Maybe somebody will get fired up on him. Not a pass-rush guy."

Kevin Dodd*, DE, Clemson: 6-5, 277. Fourth-year junior. "He's a little better than (teammate) Shaq Lawson," one scout said. "Really came on. His best games were probably the last six in his career, which always helps. Quality kid, all that stuff. He's a 4-3 DE pass rusher or an outside backer in a 3-4." Had 12 sacks in 39 games (15 starts).

Shaq Lawson*, DE, Clemson: 6-3, 269. Third-year junior. "Top 25," said one scout. "Pass rusher. Long arms. Really came on this year. Played behind (Vic) Beasley in the past. Totally different than Beasley. Beasley was a speed rusher. This guy's got speed and athleticism. He's just a bigger guy." Posted 20 sacks in 43 games (16 starts).

Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville: 6-11/2, 299. Undersized 3-technique with 29 starts in four seasons. "He's a move guy," one scout said. "If you put him at nose and don't move him you're going to be wasting him. He can run. He'll play at 315, 320." Models his game after Aaron Donald, J.J. Watt and Geno Atkins. "I can play in any scheme and all three downs," he said.

Emmanuel Ogbah*, DE, Oklahoma State: 6-4, 273. Fourth-year junior. "Whoever takes him will get an excellent player," one scout said. "He can play any position except nose. He does what they tell him to do. He plays the defense." Consistent production (28 sacks, 36 starts) over three seasons. "Good effort player," another scout said. "Very explosive. Late first, early second." Arms were 35½.

Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama: 6-1, 247. Started two of four years. "Ragland is a great kid, great leader, great person, great worker," said one scout with intimate knowledge of the Crimson Tide program. "His speed is good enough." Dropped 12 pounds in the last month, presumably in hopes of running a competitive 40 Sunday. Several scouts said he wasn't as good as D.J. Mosley, the Alabama ILB who went in the first round to Baltimore in 2014. Scored 10 in first attempt at the Wonderlic. "Alabama runs probably the toughest defense in college football to understand, and he ran the show," another scout said. "He had to bide his time to run the show. He did it only his senior year. He's a pretty serious football player. Very tough, very athletic, could cover really well. Mosley is a little more versatile than Ragland but Ragland can take the pounding a little bit more."

Hunter Henry*, TE, Arkansas: 6-5, 250. Moved to the head of the tight end group after Alabama's O.J. Howard returned for his senior season. "It'd be a reach to take a tight end in the first round," one scout said. "He's not a dynamic, special athlete, difference-maker like some of the tight ends that have come out recently. Like Eric Ebron or Jordan Reed or Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz or Travis Kelce. All those guys had more athletic-receiver traits than this guy." Much faster than Green Bay's Richard Rodgers and has comparable hands, according to another scout. "He's a complete tight end," said one scout. "More of a pass catcher but he's got enough size to block." Started 30 of 38 games, finishing with 116 receptions for 1,661 (14.3) and nine TDs.

Jack Conklin*, T, Michigan State: 6-6, 308. Walk-on from Plainwell, Mich., who earned scholarship shortly after his redshirt season. "He's a mass blocker, not an explosive blocker," one scout said. "I think he's a guard or a right tackle." Started 35 games at LT and three at RT. "He's a typical Big Ten offensive lineman," another scout said. "Big, tough, nasty. Late first round." Added a third scout: "Finisher. Doesn't have elite left tackle feet but his feet are good enough. Very consistent." He compared Conklin to Green Bay RT Bryan Bulaga. 40 time of 5.00.

Derrick Henry*, RB, Alabama: 6-3, 247. Heisman Trophy winner started just 17 of 41 games. "He's very similar to (Eddie) Lacy," one scout said. "He's the workhorse." Rushed for 2,219 yards last season, bringing his three-year totals to 602 carries for 3,591 (6.0) and 42 TDs. "Great kid," another scout said. "Great production. Strong runner. Had a lot of wear and tear. Upright style of running." 40 time of 4.54.

Jaylon Smith*, ILB, Notre Dame: 6-2, 240. Seven weeks removed from suffering knee damage (torn ACL, torn lateral collateral ligament, some nerve damage) and might not be ready to play at all in 2016. "If he didn't have the blown knee I think he's in the top 10," one scout said. "Maybe he falls because of that and is there for Green Bay (at No. 27). If so, they lucked into a great player." Third-year junior with 39 starts in 39 games. "I view myself as the best player in the draft," he said. "I'm going to be a very impactful player for a long time." Projects inside in a 3-4 and on the weak side in a 4-3. "Athletic, really good pass rusher and he's also got cover skills," another scout said. "He's better than Manti Te'o."

Darron Lee*, OLB, Ohio State: 6-1, 232. Redshirt sophomore started all 28 games in 2014-'15. "Run, see, hit type guy," one scout said. "Little bit like Myles Jack. Very athletic. Little undersized. 4-3 'will' or 3-4 inside backer. Immediate nickel backer." Had 12 sacks, 27½ tackles for loss and three interceptions. "More of a finesse guy than anything," another scout said. "Has to be covered up. He goes out and plays on the slot a lot. First-round talent."

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Smokey
  • Smokey
8 years ago
Nerd, I appreciate your post and the valuable info it contains. It is heavy on the Defensive side and I agree that GB needs a better Defense. However I must disagree on priority need.

IMO, the TOP need is for a DEEP THREAT WR !

Following that primary critical need, Defense is certainly the greatest overall concern. That said, the CB position is my greatest defensive concern. I only need to point out the 500+ yds that P.Rivers and the Chargers put up last season. Projects and potential players at CB just are not good enough. The GB Offense can be one of the TOP in the NFL, but that matters little if the CB keep getting burned and GB gets out gunned !

ILB is the next position that should be addressed. GB needs an angry 6ft 4in , 255 lb. , that is also Smart'

[twocents]

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

Nerd, I appreciate your post and the valuable info it contains. It is heavy on the Defensive side and I agree that GB needs a better Defense. However I must disagree on priority need.

IMO, the TOP need is for a DEEP THREAT WR !

Following that primary critical need, Defense is certainly the greatest overall concern. That said, the CB position is my greatest defensive concern. I only need to point out the 500+ yds that P.Rivers and the Chargers put up last season. Projects and potential players at CB just are not good enough. The GB Offense can be one of the TOP in the NFL, but that matters little if the CB keep getting burned and GB gets out gunned !

ILB is the next position that should be addressed. GB needs an angry 6ft 4in , 255 lb. , that is also Smart'

[twocents]

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Far as I'm concerned, any of our guys can get deep. We're getting Jordy back, Ty has proven he can get deep. Janis started catching the ball. I think the "depth" vs "one big guy like Megatron" approach is effective. All our guys are at least equivalent with Jordy Nelson/Greg Jennings when it comes to speed.

There's some guys to look at in the draft though.

We've got a ton of good Dbacks dude. They're not scrubs or UFDAs either. Dix, Rollins, Randall, even Hyde. Goodson and Gunter are projects, I suppose but I think they've both held up will in limited action. What more do you want from 5th and 6th stringers!?

I think they're looking at Jaylon Smith, btw.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
8 years ago
Report: Chargers open to trading out of No. 3 pick 

With Marcus Mariota already in Tennessee, there’s been talk about the Titans trading out of the first overall pick in the draft in a deal with a team looking for their own potential franchise quarterback.

They aren’t the only team at the top of the first round that could be looking to drop further down the order. The Chargers don’t have a young quarterback, but there aren’t any retirement ceremonies scheduled for Philip Rivers at this point so a quarterback-needy team could also target that spot to move up for a player like Carson Wentz or Jared Goff.

Pull the trigger Ted! 🤣

We don't need a QB, but it looks like it might be possible to move up the board this year.
Bigbyfan
8 years ago
A target in the 2nd round should be Jerrell Adams TE out of South Carolina. The guy was underutilized in college, but definitely has some big time talent. He can stretch the field and make plays after the catch (something our current group cannot do).

Oh for the 40 time fans here, he ran around a 4.6 yesterday.
blank
Smokey
  • Smokey
8 years ago

Report: Chargers open to trading out of No. 3 pick 

Pull the trigger Ted! 🤣

We don't need a QB, but it looks like it might be possible to move up the board this year.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

IMO, I'd very much like to see GB move up in the Draft, but that would seem unlikely. Ted Thompson is too timid to "pull the trigger".

As for a Deep Threat WR, I don't currently see a GB WR with "deep threat" speed. If a WR can't separate himself from a CB on a deep sideline route, then he is just another WR that can't get open ! I want GB to get a WR that scares CB's with his speed. Speed that can make Defenses change their coverage's as they "fear" the deep threat. In addition, such a WR can open up defenses that must respect a true pass threat and give other offensive assets more of an opportunity to shine.

In any case, the bottom of the 1st round is not the place to get a true impact player. The #3 overall pick could get GB the WR or ILB that could change the future.

[cheers]

UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
8 years ago

IMO, I'd very much like to see GB move up in the Draft, but that would seem unlikely. Ted Thompson is too timid to "pull the trigger".

As for a Deep Threat WR, I don't currently see a GB WR with "deep threat" speed. If a WR can't separate himself from a CB on a deep sideline route, then he is just another WR that can't get open ! I want GB to get a WR that scares CB's with his speed. Speed that can make Defenses change their coverage's as they "fear" the deep threat. In addition, such a WR can open up defenses that must respect a true pass threat and give other offensive assets more of an opportunity to shine.

In any case, the bottom of the 1st round is not the place to get a true impact player. The #3 overall pick could get GB the WR or ILB that could change the future.

[cheers]

Moving up to #3 would also cost the Packers 3 years worth of 1st rounders
blank
DakotaT
8 years ago

[cheers]

We could have had Dez Bryant instead of Bryan Bulaga. Just sayin! I believe the great Dhazer insisted on that happening.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
8 years ago
[quote=Bigbyfan;347181]Moving up to #3 would also cost the Packers 3 years worth of 1st rounders[/quote
Wouldn't matter, Thompson seldom gets it right in the 1st round.