buckeyepackfan
8 years ago
1997 Donald Driver 7th rnd Alcorn State

DD drafted for his all around athletic ability.

He competed for the Alcorn State Braves track team, where he shone in the high jump and earned all-conference honors his senior year. He leaped 2.30 meters in the high jump, 15.62 meters in the triple jump and 7.75 meters in the long jump.

Driver attended Alcorn State University in Mississippi, where he lettered in both football and track & field. He finished his college football career there with 88 receptions for 1993 yards (19.69 yards per catch). He was a five-time "Athlete of the Year" in his conference for his track and football prowess.

Coming from a small college DD was probably looked at a a project at best.

DD road the pine, crafted his skills and by 2002 became Brett Favres #1 guy.

2006 Greg Jennings 2nd rnd West. Michigan

With injuries and overall lack of talent at the wr position Greg was thrown into the fire almost immediatly.

2006 45 rec for 632 yds 3 tds
Brett Favre commented one of the reasons he decided to come back in 2007 was what he saw in GJ.
2007 53 rec for 920 yds and a whopping 12 td's
By 2008 Greg was the undisputed #1 guy with 80 rec. 1292 yds 9 tds

2007 James Jones 3rd rnd San Jose St.

James struggled his 1st few years, he played in all 16 games as a rookie, injuries limited him to 10 games in 2008.
Though the numbers were not huge James established himself as the #3 guy in Green Bay by the end of 2009.
The decision to re-sign James after the 2010 season, though not popular to some, proved to be the right thing to do.

2008 Jordy Nelson 2nd rnd Kansas St.
Being the 4th option Jordy was able to ease into the NFL.
In fact it wasn't till the end of the 2010 season we all saw just what a talent Jordy was.
He ended the 2010 regular season with 45 reed for 582 yds and 2 tds.
Jordy came of age in that magical 6 game run to The Super Bowl,
For not a couple of dropped balle, he may very well have been the MVP.

2008 Jermichael Finley 3rd rnd Texas

The final piece, Big strong, fast TE who could split the middle of the field.
The sky was the limit for Jermichael.
Injuries slowed JF's progress as a rookie, he did appear in 14 games but only had 4 rec for 74 yds and 1 td.
2009 showed us all what a special player Jermicheal was.
Although only appearing in 13 games he had 55 rec for 676 yds and 5 td's.
2010 was going to be the year for Jermicheal, as the game plan evolved around getting him the ball.
Injuries once again cut his year short, appearing in only 5 games.

The BIG 5 were in place coming off a spectacular season in 2010, 2011 proved to be one for the ages.
QB1 had a career year, completing 343 passes for 4,643 yds, 45 tds, with only 6 int.
a career best Pass Rate of 122.5.

Why am i writing this?
#1 it is off season and once in awhile it's fun to look back.

#2 IMHO there will be a return of The Big 5 next year.

#1a Jordy Nelson the now 8 year vet = Donald Driver
#1b Randall Cobb 5 year vet = Greg Jennings
#3 Davante Adams 2 yr vet = James Jones
#4 Ty Montgomery 1 year vet = a young Jordy Nelson
#5 Richard Rodgers = Jermicheal Finley

One thing the original big 5 does not have is a couple of 2 year vet receivers who have struggled at times due to injury or just plain learning how to be an NFL receiver ready to step in in case of injury.

Abbey and the new JJ excited everyone with their performances at Arizona!

I know Richard Rodgers does not have the god given talent of Jermicheal Findley, what he does have is a great pair of hands and has learned the system and knows his role.

Final note,

It takes time to develop into a profesional , no matter what position.
Some do it faster than others.

I read in another thread about a "perfect storm" coming together as the reason for that devastating defeat at the end of 2015.

I'm predicting right now there is a "perfect storm" coming together in Green Bay, and it is going to wreak havoc on the rest of The NFL in 2016.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
uffda udfa
8 years ago

1997 Donald Driver 7th rnd Alcorn State

DD drafted for his all around athletic ability.

He competed for the Alcorn State Braves track team, where he shone in the high jump and earned all-conference honors his senior year. He leaped 2.30 meters in the high jump, 15.62 meters in the triple jump and 7.75 meters in the long jump.

Driver attended Alcorn State University in Mississippi, where he lettered in both football and track & field. He finished his college football career there with 88 receptions for 1993 yards (19.69 yards per catch). He was a five-time "Athlete of the Year" in his conference for his track and football prowess.

Coming from a small college DD was probably looked at a a project at best.

DD road the pine, crafted his skills and by 2002 became Brett Favres #1 guy.

2006 Greg Jennings 2nd rnd West. Michigan

With injuries and overall lack of talent at the wr position Greg was thrown into the fire almost immediatly.

2006 45 rec for 632 yds 3 tds
Brett Favre commented one of the reasons he decided to come back in 2007 was what he saw in GJ.
2007 53 rec for 920 yds and a whopping 12 td's
By 2008 Greg was the undisputed #1 guy with 80 rec. 1292 yds 9 tds

2007 James Jones 2nd rnd San Jose St.

James struggled his 1st few years, he played in all 16 games as a rookie, injuries limited him to 10 games in 2008.
Though the numbers were not huge James established himself as the #3 guy in Green Bay by the end of 2009.
The decision to re-sign James after the 2010 season, though not popular to some, proved to be the right thing to do.

2008 Jordy Nelson 2nd rnd Kansas St.
Being the 4th option Jordy was able to ease into the NFL.
In fact it wasn't till the end of the 2010 season we all saw just what a talent Jordy was.
He ended the 2010 regular season with 45 reed for 582 yds and 2 tds.
Jordy came of age in that magical 6 game run to The Super Bowl,
For not a couple of dropped balle, he may very well have been the MVP.

2008 Jermichael Finley 3rd rnd Texas

The final piece, Big strong, fast TE who could split the middle of the field.
The sky was the limit for Jermichael.
Injuries slowed JF's progress as a rookie, he did appear in 14 games but only had 4 rec for 74 yds and 1 td.
2009 showed us all what a special player Jermicheal was.
Although only appearing in 13 games he had 55 rec for 676 yds and 5 td's.
2010 was going to be the year for Jermicheal, as the game plan evolved around getting him the ball.
Injuries once again cut his year short, appearing in only 5 games.

The BIG 5 were in place coming off a spectacular season in 2010, 2011 proved to be one for the ages.
QB1 had a career year, completing 343 passes for 4,643 yds, 45 tds, with only 6 int.
a career best Pass Rate of 122.5.

Why am i writing this?
#1 it is off season and once in awhile it's fun to look back.

#2 IMHO there will be a return of The Big 5 next year.

#1a Jordy Nelson the now 8 year vet = Donald Driver
#1b Randall Cobb 5 year vet = Greg Jennings
#3 Davante Adams 2 yr vet = James Jones
#4 Ty Montgomery 1 year vet = a young Jordy Nelson
#5 Richard Rodgers = Jermicheal Finley

One thing the original big 5 does not have is a couple of 2 year vet receivers who have struggled at times due to injury or just plain learning how to be an NFL receiver ready to step in in case of injury.

Abbey and the new JJ excited everyone with their performances at Arizona!

I know Richard Rodgers does not have the god given talent of Jermicheal Findley, what he does have is a great pair of hands and has learned the system and knows his role.

Final note,

It takes time to develop into a profesional , no matter what position.
Some do it faster than others.

I read in another thread about a "perfect storm" coming together as the reason for that devastating defeat at the end of 2015.

I'm predicting right now there is a "perfect storm" coming together in Green Bay, and it is going to wreak havoc on the rest of The NFL in 2016.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I hope you're right, Buck. Gotta be less optimistic than you. Shocking. Our guys proved they aren't viable without Jordy. Not sure how viable they really are with Jordy... but we'll see. James Jones probably isnt back and I take issue with Richard Rodgers being equated to Finley. No DC is adjusting gameplans for RR but they did for Finley.

BTW, James Jones was a 3rd round pick.

Oh, and an interesting tidbit on DD. We tried shipping him to Kansas City when he was just a kid for a 7th round pick but the deal fell through. I hear Garth Brooks singing somewhere.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.