uffda udfa
8 years ago
Here's what Elway said about why he fired John Fox, a coach who took his team to the SB:

“I just didn’t like two out of the last three years we lost in the first round with home field advantage,” Elway said. “And so to me that hurts. If you can’t get guys excited about playing in the playoffs that time of year, something’s wrong.”

We fail year after year after year and our GM stands pat and even extends our playoff losing coach and to top it off our owner is praising the fact we have chances.

One guy...Elway is a Hall of Famer and former 1st overall pick... one guy was a try hard ST guy and UDFA.

I see the difference in mentality based on their pedigree. Do you? One guy won SB's...the other didn't. One guy seems overly obsessed with winning and being the best trying to get the best players. The other is good with being good and mining the UDFA market to find guys like him. One guy knew it took guys like him to win SB's. The other wants guys like him to build a good team that has a chance.

The mentalities are vastly different. One guy's team is playing today and one's isn't. One guy has his team there two of the last 4 and in the playoffs all the time. One guy just has his teams lose consistently early in the playoffs.

What I wouldn't give for a different mentality. An Elway...let's win SB's RIGHT NOW mentality. You just sense and feel that it's really important to Denver and Elway. I get the same sense about our guy and org but only as far as being competitive and having chances. What a wide chasm.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

earthquake
8 years ago
Cool story bro. Too bad your premise and all assumptions are based on logical fallacies. Your brilliant logic that assumes that superbowl winning 1st round QB = superbowl winning alpha GM, and UDFA player = incapable GM is the same logic that would argue: Dogs are hairy, men are hairy, thus, men are dogs. You might want to read up on the concept of basic logic if this confuses you.

Additionally, at the time of posting, TT's teams have won exactly 1 more SB than the teams Elway has managed. Today, Elway has the chance to tie TT's SB record as a GM.

It's clear that they have different operating philosophies, but time will tell if one is more successful than the other, and your claim to the motivation or mentality of each is such an obviously ridiculous presumption that I can only feel sorry that you feel so sure of something you know so little about.
blank
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Cool story bro. Too bad your premise and all assumptions are based on logical fallacies. Your brilliant logic that assumes that superbowl winning 1st round QB = superbowl winning alpha GM, and UDFA player = incapable GM is the same logic that would argue: Dogs are hairy, men are hairy, thus, men are dogs. You might want to read up on the concept of basic logic if this confuses you.

Additionally, at the time of posting, TT's teams have won exactly 1 more SB than the teams Elway has managed. Today, Elway has the chance to tie TT's SB record as a GM.

It's clear that they have different operating philosophies, but time will tell if one is more successful than the other, and your claim to the motivation or mentality of each is such an obviously ridiculous presumption that I can only feel sorry that you feel so sure of something you know so little about.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Ted's been in Green Bay since 2005. Elway has been in his capacity since 2011. In half the time the Broncos have been to the SB twice as much. Perhaps, Elway ties Ted Thompson today?

My main point is mindset not what you chose to deduce so you could respond. Try attacking the viewpoint from mindset. See how that comes out when you post vs. what you wrongly chose to focus upon in your previous post.

Elway has a very different mindset than Ted Thompson. I would argue that comes from his pedigree and past success. I've pined for someone like Harbaugh and miss Ron Wolf. Why? Are they infallible? Nope. However, I greatly admire their mindset. If you can't see that Ted Thompson doesn't fit in with the 3 guys I really admire...

Please, give me something back about TT's mindset toward winning championships vs. Elway. Try and convince me, if not yourself, that we have a guy as committed as Elway. We don't.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

earthquake
8 years ago
I am not a mind reader, I can't comment on Elway, TT, or anyone else's mindset or internal motivations.

I've already agreed that they appear to have a different operating philosophy, that conclusion I come to based only on their actions. Coming to conclusions based on how one imagines someone else to think or feel is pointless. It's a non-starter for an argument. Nobody will ever be able to prove it one way or another, so I'll pass.
blank
DakotaT
8 years ago
TT handles his management duties like he's spending his own money. Elway has no problem spending his owner's money.

I don't want the Packers to become like Washington and Dallas, but is it too much to ask to try and get an offensive weapon on the field if one is available, or get another legitimate pass rusher or pass protector in free agency? Ted Thompson takes his vacation the first week of free agency for God's sakes.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago

I am not a mind reader, I can't comment on Elway, TT, or anyone else's mindset or internal motivations.

I've already agreed that they appear to have a different operating philosophy, that conclusion I come to based only on their actions. Coming to conclusions based on how one imagines someone else to think or feel is pointless. It's a non-starter for an argument. Nobody will ever be able to prove it one way or another, so I'll pass.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Thought ALWAYS proceeds action so you can look at actions and deconstruct. I think you know exactly what I'm talking about but you're not going to acquiesce. You're just opting out under some commentary of us not possibly knowing? None of us really know anything. We believe lots of things but knowing?

Since you can't know and have admitted as much...which guy do you BELIEVE is more sold out to win championships? That's a simple question and a fair one. Look at actions. I think it's crystal clear that Elway is far superior to Thompson in his passion to win. You would have an impossible task of proving the opposite and that is why you must go with the "we can't know" reply because you do know where this ends up.

Why is it so wrong to wish for your team to be desperate to win championships? Why is it so wrong to get upset about this shoot low we have a chance mentality? I don't get it. You play sports to win championships. If that isn't why you're playing you shouldn't be playing. I believe what you'll do in reply is focus on the fact that I don't play and none of us fans do. Do you care if the Packers are 0-16 or 16-0. Which is better for you? Is a first round playoff exit better or a SB championship or is it all just the same? You're just entertained either way? You don't wish the game you were watching today was a Packers gameday? It's okay that it isn't because we had a chance?

WIN...CHAMPIONSHIPS and if you can't do that...TRY...WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT. Don't not give everything. That isn't football. It's a game of passion and the guys we have running the show don't have enough.

Finally, I would argue that is the disconnect here. Mindset. Some have a mindset that good is good enough and some believe perfection is the goal that you die trying to attain. It really does come down to how we are as people. That's the line between Elway and Thompson. I stand with the Elway approach because that is how I believe. I'd be really interested in how Nerd thinks on this as he seems to hate Mike McCarthy and love TT. If he hates MM's approach, I'm not sure how he feels any differently about Ted Thompson but he seems to.
UserPostedImage

nerdmann
8 years ago
Ted has a proven record over more than a decade. Elway's record remains to be seen.

Ted also does not have a billionaire owner who can stuff the pockets of star players on the side with endorsement contracts and other "grey area" type revenue streams. Ted's franchise has limited cash flow for operating expenses, thus cannot necessarily dole out enormous bonuses, even if that money is accounted for over multiple years for cap purposes.

Keep in mind, Green Bay is also not a favorite destination for players of color. Remember the fiasco Nick Barnett experienced with his Club 56? Ended up no longer being a Packer.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Ted has a proven record over more than a decade. Elway's record remains to be seen.

Ted also does not have a billionaire owner who can stuff the pockets of star players on the side with endorsement contracts and other "grey area" type revenue streams. Ted's franchise has limited cash flow for operating expenses, thus cannot necessarily dole out enormous bonuses, even if that money is accounted for over multiple years for cap purposes.

Keep in mind, Green Bay is also not a favorite destination for players of color. Remember the fiasco Nick Barnett experienced with his Club 56? Ended up no longer being a Packer.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I understand the black player issue but Woodson changed the perception as did Reggie White before him. A black player who is drafted or traded for is coming here. Now, FA could be an issue but Peppers is african american as was Pickett and Woodson. The player who doesn't want to come here because he's black is not a player you want anyway. You want the player like Reggie who came here to WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP not just games. Those guys seeking championships black, or not, are going to come here. Vernon Davis appeared to want that but his price was too steep and contract too big, I guess.

Aaron Rodgers seems to do fine with his side revenue streams there in lowly Green Bay... as does Clay Matthews. Shoot, the OL was in PITCH PERFECT 2 but those were all white dudes.

What does this reply have to do with the MINDSET issue? I think you guys know we are saddled with someone who shoots for less than the best and have just made peace with it. Kinda like working for a company you know isn't as good as the competition but since you work for the lesser you have to just not really address that issue internally and kinda sell yourself that your company is "fine" when another is so much better.

I want to see one person here tell me that Ted Thompson has a bigger championship mentality than John Elway. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long long time.

As for giving Elway time...the guy has his team in the SB, twice since 2011. He's gotten rid of a media darling that took him to the playoffs in Tebow and fired a coach that got his guys to a SB. Why? NOT GOOD ENOUGH. In Green Bay, you guys would be posting and linking articles like crazy about how great it is not being Cleveland and how we have a chance every year. In Denver that would be an unheard of foreign loser's mentality. Why is it so accepted here? Stop making excuses for less than the best.

EDIT: Elway and TT...tied with 1 championship apiece. Elway with 2 appearances in less than half of TT's time and I'll bet he tries just as hard to repeat next year than we ever do to get there.
UserPostedImage

RichMcGeorge
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

TT's "proven record" = 1 Super Bowl appearance and victory in 11 seasons.

He has been to the Super Bowl and won it as often as the immortal Mickey Lewis in New Orleans.

Elway's record = 2 Super Bowl appearances and a victory in less than half that time.

BTW, Schneider has twice as many appearances in fewer years as well.

The legend of Ted Thompson continues to be one the great frauds of our time.
nerdmann
8 years ago

I understand the black player issue but Woodson changed the perception as did Reggie White before him. A black player who is drafted or traded for is coming here. Now, FA could be an issue but Peppers is african american as was Pickett and Woodson. The player who doesn't want to come here because he's black is not a player you want anyway. You want the player like Reggie who came here to WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP not just games. Those guys seeking championships black, or not, are going to come here. Vernon Davis appeared to want that but his price was too steep and contract too big, I guess.

Aaron Rodgers seems to do fine with his side revenue streams there in lowly Green Bay... as does Clay Matthews. Shoot, the OL was in PITCH PERFECT 2 but those were all white dudes.

What does this reply have to do with the MINDSET issue? I think you guys know we are saddled with someone who shoots for less than the best and have just made peace with it. Kinda like working for a company you know isn't as good as the competition but since you work for the lesser you have to just not really address that issue internally and kinda sell yourself that your company is "fine" when another is so much better.

I want to see one person here tell me that Ted Thompson has a bigger championship mentality than John Elway. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long long time.

As for giving Elway time...the guy has his team in the SB, twice since 2011. He's gotten rid of a media darling that took him to the playoffs in Tebow and fired a coach that got his guys to a SB. Why? NOT GOOD ENOUGH. In Green Bay, you guys would be posting and linking articles like crazy about how great it is not being Cleveland and how we have a chance every year. In Denver that would be an unheard of foreign loser's mentality. Why is it so accepted here? Stop making excuses for less than the best.

EDIT: Elway and TT...tied with 1 championship apiece. Elway with 2 appearances in less than half of TT's time and I'll bet he tries just as hard to repeat next year than we ever do to get there.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

How can you say Ted doesn't shoot for the best, when he drafted Jeff Janis? How many times did Elway pass him over?

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8m) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (15h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (15h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (15h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (16h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
25m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.