8 years ago

Brett sure received that info well. Retired the next day.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

This is actually incorrect, this was the 2007 season where we went 13-3 with Brett at the helm. The Moss deal almost went through but fell through for a couple of reasons. Apparently Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson both specified to him that DD (lots of double letters here) was our number 1 and he'd be a compliment to him and this turned Moss off long enough for the Pats to swoop in with a higher pick (I believe they offered a 3rd while Thompson offered a 4th).

Brett was disgruntled but went on to play one of his better years until the playoff fiasco against the giants.

Favre retired the following season nothing to directly do with the Moss trade.

uffda udfa
8 years ago
No. What I typed is correct. This is where I need to do better as far as my composure as it drives me crazy when people do what you just did. You said what I typed was incorrect when it was completely correct. I should be used to this by now around here.

Here is what you're referring to but it's not the whole story: (ESPN.com)

MILWAUKEE -- Brett Favre acknowledged his anger over the team's unwillingness to pull off a trade for wide receiver Randy Moss, but denied Monday he ever really wanted the Green Bay Packers to trade him.

"I was frustrated a couple weeks back when Randy Moss was traded to New England," Favre said on the Packers' website. "I never wanted to be traded and I don't want to be traded. I want to be in Green Bay. I want to finish my career as a Packer."

After Favre spent Saturday venting about the Packers' front office in a handful of media interviews at his annual charity golf tournament, Fox Sports' website reported Sunday that Favre's agent called Packers general manager Ted Thompson shortly after last month's NFL draft to request a trade.

That request was denied, according to the report, and Packers coach Mike McCarthy eventually calmed Favre down and got him to admit that he never really wanted to play elsewhere.

"Sometimes when I get frustrated, I let my emotions get the better of me," Favre said in the statement.

Favre, who told the team in February that he was returning for his 17th NFL season, reiterated his commitment to the Packers.

The Packers have a three-day mandatory minicamp beginning Friday, and it remains unclear whether Favre, who had surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle in late February, will attend.

"As I said in February when I announced that I was coming back, I am excited about the young talent on our team and the improvements we're going to see from one year to the next," Favre said. "I really enjoy the young guys I'm playing with.

"I'm working hard down in Mississippi right now, rehabbing, and I plan to be in the best shape of my life. I look forward to playing with this team and seeing what we can do. I think we can be pretty good."

==== That's what you're remembering. Here's what you've forgotten the following season where Randy was a FA:

Favre had spoken to Moss late last week and was willing to commit to more than just this season if Moss and the Packers could come to an agreement. But the Packers did not pursue Moss, who re-signed with the Patriots on Monday.

Brett got all "mentally tired when Ted didn't get Randy the 2nd time around. Ted Thompson failed to trade for him which you can see above clearly pissed Brett off and then when he had ANOTHER chance to get him he didn't get it done and Brett became mentally tired and retired.

This is always tough because I know what I'm talking about. You follow me up and post half the story and say that I'm not correct and get some also uninformed poster applauding your post. It shocks me that you don't understand what happened with Brett, Randy and retirement. It was probably the biggest news in the org since Reggie and to this day many don't have a clue what went down.

Randy resigned on Monday in New England and this is what Bus Cook said the following Tuesday morning:

Favre's agent, Bus Cook, told Mortensen that, as of Tuesday morning, there were no plans for Favre to hold a news conference.

"I talked to Brett this morning and I told him, 'Nobody forced you to make this decision to retire, but the flip side is nobody encouraged you to play,'" Cook told Mortensen. "Two years ago, Ted [Thompson] encouraged him to play, but there was nothing this time around from them offering encouragement or him to come back." (Source ESPN.com)

---So, again, just like I said earlier before I was told I was incorrect Brett retired right after Ted Thompson didn't get it done the 2nd time with Randy. Oh, he claimed that had nothing to do with his decision but he also claimed in the article above that he wanted to retire a Packer and we all know he was lying now. He desperately wanted Randy Moss and twice he saw his GM fail to bring him in.

Here's Mike McCarthy on Brett's agent saying the reason for Brett's retirement was "No Moss":

"But I can tell you one thing, never once in all my conversations with Brett this offseason has he ever asked or told me that we had to have Randy Moss for him to come back and play," McCarthy told Mortensen. "Randy Moss' name never came up once. And it bothers me that [Favre's agent] has made this an issue."
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

uffda udfa
8 years ago

This is actually incorrect, this was the 2007 season where we went 13-3 with Brett at the helm. The Moss deal almost went through but fell through for a couple of reasons. Apparently Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson both specified to him that DD (lots of double letters here) was our number 1 and he'd be a compliment to him and this turned Moss off long enough for the Pats to swoop in with a higher pick (I believe they offered a 3rd while Thompson offered a 4th).

Brett was disgruntled but went on to play one of his better years until the playoff fiasco against the giants.

Favre retired the following season nothing to directly do with the Moss trade.

Originally Posted by: FLORIDA PACKER88 

Just to cement this, perhaps, you'll listen when Andrew Brandt tells you and not me: (nationalfootballpost.com)

And guess what team showed some decent interest again in 2008? Yes, the Packers (along with the Eagles and Cowboys). But again, despite getting Brett's hopes up again, the Packers bowed out of the bidding (I had left the Packers at that point but heard the anger and frustration from Brett’s camp). Moss re-signed with the Patriots on March 3rd. Favre retired from the Packers on March 4th. Coincidence?

Read this story where you can read all about the twice failed Moss deals and how angry Brett was with TT's lack of aggressiveness...the same lack of aggressiveness I lament to this day.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Randys-rant-was-almost-a-Packer-twice 

---Please, read the above so you can learn from someone who worked closely with Ted Thompson and put to bed all the false ideas you have about what happened with Brett, Randy and retirement. Going to guess there'll be no applause for me but there was for someone telling me I was wrong when I was completely right.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

8 years ago

Just to cement this, perhaps, you'll listen when Andrew Brandt tells you and not me: (nationalfootballpost.com)

And guess what team showed some decent interest again in 2008? Yes, the Packers (along with the Eagles and Cowboys). But again, despite getting Brett's hopes up again, the Packers bowed out of the bidding (I had left the Packers at that point but heard the anger and frustration from Brett’s camp). Moss re-signed with the Patriots on March 3rd. Favre retired from the Packers on March 4th. Coincidence?

Read this story where you can read all about the twice failed Moss deals and how angry Brett was with TT's lack of aggressiveness...the same lack of aggressiveness I lament to this day.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Randys-rant-was-almost-a-Packer-twice 

---Please, read the above so you can learn from someone who worked closely with Ted Thompson and put to bed all the false ideas you have about what happened with Brett, Randy and retirement. Going to guess there'll be no applause for me but there was for someone telling me I was wrong when I was completely right.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Easy there turbo, don't take it so hard. Honest mistake, I misinterpreted which instance of acquiring Moss you were referring to, I apologize for that. I honestly forgot there was even the idea of Moss being acquired after his huge year with the Pats.

I'll even throw in an applause for my mistake 😉 haha.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

Easy there turbo, don't take it so hard. Honest mistake, I misinterpreted which instance of acquiring Moss you were referring to, I apologize for that. I honestly forgot there was even the idea of Moss being acquired after his huge year with the Pats.

I'll even throw in an applause for my mistake 😉 haha.

Originally Posted by: FLORIDA PACKER88 

Humility on a discussion forum?? Me likes!
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I know, I know...not supposed to respond so much but just had to. Yes, that was very unexpected. I'm shellshocked 'round here. I do try to be composed and patient but it's really challenging at times. I half expected to still be told I was wrong. To see the humility with no cop out was very refreshing. Makes me want to be more patient and understanding and not get so wound up when something like this happens next time.

Thank you, Florida. Thank you, India...Thank you, terror...thank you disillusionment...thank you, frailty conscience and silence...Thank you!

UserPostedImage

Cheesey
8 years ago

Don't get too used to it, Zero....😝 😁
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
8 years ago
I humbly 😂 disagree with the entire premise that Elway is Aggressive and Ted Thompson is not. I think both guys would donate a left nut to improve their teams. But sometimes the best GM transactions are those NOT made.

The complete Randy Moss story is the PERFECT example of what happens to the overly aggressive GM.

I dont like the gunslinger GM only because most of the time the gunslinger moves hurt the team immediately. The rare occasions that they dont, a team is only marginally improved for 1 or 2 years and it RARELY changes whether team will win the SB; but its a CERTAINTY that a team is harmed down the road. And stats be damned do not under estimate the cost of a cancer allowed to run loose in the locker room. In 2007 Moss was signed to a 1 year prove-it deal and he behaved himself and he helped NE be the best team; but guess what? NE did not win the SB because sh!t happens.

In 2008 Moss signed a 3 year deal/27M/15G. If GB signed him it would have cost us our 5th rnd comp pick [Jamon Merideth-you know you loved the pick at the time😂;but it could have cost us a Hyde, Chancellor, Sherman or Daniels type], plus, 1 really good player or 2-3-4 decent players would not have been signed with this 27M lost [about 8% of Cap]. Maybe less those 2-3-4 players GB doesn't win SB in 2010. Why is it that no one ever talks of the alternate costs when discussing the need to sign FAs?

Hindsight removes all doubt that Belichek screwed up by singing Moss in 2008. He thought he had the power to control Moss; when the only thing that had that power was a 1 year prove it deal. In the time Moss was in NE: no Championships.

In the last 10 years, I think the 4 year stretch of 2007 thru 2010 was Belicheck's best teams; but Moss-filled 2008 and 2009 teams had NE's 2 worst records (in 2008 sans Brady NE won 11 games, in 2009 w/ Brady they won 10) in 2010, Belichek fed up w/ Moss shipped him off after 4 games, w/ Moss as starter NE was 2-1 and finished 12-1 after deciding to get rid of him. Moss made NE worse 2008-2010 and the 27M pissed away on Moss had negative repercussions for the team 2-3 years later.

To make the story complete; can you believe another nut job GM actually gave NE a 3rd for Randy Moss after 2.25 years of cancer and a 55% catch rate? Yes, desperate to placate a very demanding and needy Favre, Zygi bowed to Favre's wish and Belichek squeezed his gonads. Another failure of a gunslinging GM: after 4 weeks w/3 loses and being assured Favre was done, Moss was just cut...CUT. A third rounder just pissed away. And of course NO TEAM was willing to even give Minn a 7th for Moss w/ half a season left.

But we're not done:
In 2010, another GM [Tenn's Reinfeldt] was sitting at 5-3 at the bye. He thought to himself, "Randy Moss, one of the greatest WRs is out there, I can get him w/o giving up pick, he wont cost that much. What can it hurt? Well, Tennessee was 5-3 without Randy Moss and finished 1-7...ONE AND SEVEN with Moss. Confirming the Moss-cancer in the off-season Moss whined in press about being black-balled by the staff. and no team would sign him. See, there was potential downside to signing Vernon Davis; if he turned all Randy Moss on us, we could have gone 1-7 and missed the playoffs!

And still not done:
What moron gunslinging GM would sign him in 2012? After sitting out 2011; Harbaalke signed him to 2.5 and another 1.5 if he was on roster for a certain number of games, which he met, so Moss got the entire 4M. SF was 11-5-1; but only 1-1 w/ Moss starting and in 16 games he only got 434 yards on a 56% catch rate and 3 TDs. In 2013 A few guys were upset thinking they should have gotten some extra cash if management is throwing 4M around to the Mosses of the world; to placate them Harbaugh made promises to at least Boone, V.Davis and [I think] A.Davis that if they sit tight that next year [2014] they'd get some sugar. No sugar was coming and the implosion began!
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
2007 NFL Randy Moss trade -- a few points here.
- Packers did NOT want to rent Randy Moss for one season. Packers wanted him to accept 2 year deal.
- Randy wanted a one year deal to maximize a 2008 contract
- Patriots made Raiders an offer and did not give Packers a chance to match
- Patriots gave up 4th round 110th overall
- Packers were 119th in 4th round

I'll assume Packers would have had to add one of their 6th (Korey Hall, Desmond Bishop, Mason Crosby) or give up their 3rd (Aaron Rouse) to usurp the Patriots 4th rounder

Packers led the league in scoring that year or very high up and unless Randy Moss can play defense, I'm just not sure how Moss could have made any impact.

What if we did get Moss and then Brett stayed another year. We lose Aaron. We don't have the 2010 Lombardi and we have to go back to 1996 for our most recent Super Bowl win.

As was mentioned already. John Elway knew he had to make bold moves and also has an owner that can bail out any piss poor financial decisions. Ted Thompson does not need to go for broke, nor does he have a deep pocketed owner to bail out a crappy contract.

Ted Thompson believes offensive players have to be groomed whereas defensive players you can acquire.

UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
8 years ago

What if we did get Moss and then Brett stayed another year. We lose Aaron. We don't have the 2010 Lombardi and we have to go back to 1996 for our most recent Super Bowl win.

Well we could have gone into the bidding for Cutler

😂 😂 😂
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (7h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.