nerdmann
8 years ago

Just to cement this, perhaps, you'll listen when Andrew Brandt tells you and not me: (nationalfootballpost.com)

And guess what team showed some decent interest again in 2008? Yes, the Packers (along with the Eagles and Cowboys). But again, despite getting Brett's hopes up again, the Packers bowed out of the bidding (I had left the Packers at that point but heard the anger and frustration from Brett’s camp). Moss re-signed with the Patriots on March 3rd. Favre retired from the Packers on March 4th. Coincidence?

Read this story where you can read all about the twice failed Moss deals and how angry Brett was with TT's lack of aggressiveness...the same lack of aggressiveness I lament to this day.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Randys-rant-was-almost-a-Packer-twice 

---Please, read the above so you can learn from someone who worked closely with Ted Thompson and put to bed all the false ideas you have about what happened with Brett, Randy and retirement. Going to guess there'll be no applause for me but there was for someone telling me I was wrong when I was completely right.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Part of Ted's job was to show Bert that he was not running the team anymore.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
8 years ago

No. What I typed is correct. This is where I need to do better as far as my composure as it drives me crazy when people do what you just did. You said what I typed was incorrect when it was completely correct. I should be used to this by now around here.

Here is what you're referring to but it's not the whole story: (ESPN.com)

MILWAUKEE -- Brett Favre acknowledged his anger over the team's unwillingness to pull off a trade for wide receiver Randy Moss, but denied Monday he ever really wanted the Green Bay Packers to trade him.

"I was frustrated a couple weeks back when Randy Moss was traded to New England," Favre said on the Packers' website. "I never wanted to be traded and I don't want to be traded. I want to be in Green Bay. I want to finish my career as a Packer."

After Favre spent Saturday venting about the Packers' front office in a handful of media interviews at his annual charity golf tournament, Fox Sports' website reported Sunday that Favre's agent called Packers general manager Ted Thompson shortly after last month's NFL draft to request a trade.

That request was denied, according to the report, and Packers coach Mike McCarthy eventually calmed Favre down and got him to admit that he never really wanted to play elsewhere.

"Sometimes when I get frustrated, I let my emotions get the better of me," Favre said in the statement.

Favre, who told the team in February that he was returning for his 17th NFL season, reiterated his commitment to the Packers.

The Packers have a three-day mandatory minicamp beginning Friday, and it remains unclear whether Favre, who had surgery to remove bone spurs from his left ankle in late February, will attend.

"As I said in February when I announced that I was coming back, I am excited about the young talent on our team and the improvements we're going to see from one year to the next," Favre said. "I really enjoy the young guys I'm playing with.

"I'm working hard down in Mississippi right now, rehabbing, and I plan to be in the best shape of my life. I look forward to playing with this team and seeing what we can do. I think we can be pretty good."

==== That's what you're remembering. Here's what you've forgotten the following season where Randy was a FA:

Favre had spoken to Moss late last week and was willing to commit to more than just this season if Moss and the Packers could come to an agreement. But the Packers did not pursue Moss, who re-signed with the Patriots on Monday.

Brett got all "mentally tired when Ted didn't get Randy the 2nd time around. Ted Thompson failed to trade for him which you can see above clearly pissed Brett off and then when he had ANOTHER chance to get him he didn't get it done and Brett became mentally tired and retired.

This is always tough because I know what I'm talking about. You follow me up and post half the story and say that I'm not correct and get some also uninformed poster applauding your post. It shocks me that you don't understand what happened with Brett, Randy and retirement. It was probably the biggest news in the org since Reggie and to this day many don't have a clue what went down.

Randy resigned on Monday in New England and this is what Bus Cook said the following Tuesday morning:

Favre's agent, Bus Cook, told Mortensen that, as of Tuesday morning, there were no plans for Favre to hold a news conference.

"I talked to Brett this morning and I told him, 'Nobody forced you to make this decision to retire, but the flip side is nobody encouraged you to play,'" Cook told Mortensen. "Two years ago, Ted [Thompson] encouraged him to play, but there was nothing this time around from them offering encouragement or him to come back." (Source ESPN.com)

---So, again, just like I said earlier before I was told I was incorrect Brett retired right after Ted Thompson didn't get it done the 2nd time with Randy. Oh, he claimed that had nothing to do with his decision but he also claimed in the article above that he wanted to retire a Packer and we all know he was lying now. He desperately wanted Randy Moss and twice he saw his GM fail to bring him in.

Here's Mike McCarthy on Brett's agent saying the reason for Brett's retirement was "No Moss":

"But I can tell you one thing, never once in all my conversations with Brett this offseason has he ever asked or told me that we had to have Randy Moss for him to come back and play," McCarthy told Mortensen. "Randy Moss' name never came up once. And it bothers me that [Favre's agent] has made this an issue."

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

After Bert's dad died, he didn't have anyone around to keep him grounded. All he had was his wife and his agent whispering in his ear, telling him how great he was.

Sherman was obviously not gonna stand up to him. Bert had been handed the keys to the franchise by Ray Rhodes. When Rhodes was shit-canned after one season, no one wanted to touch that job with a ten foot pole. So Wolf had to dig deep, hired Sherman before Sherman was ready to be a HC. Dude didn't have the gravitas or authority to stand up to Favre in front of the players. Just didn't know how to do it.

Eventually, that would become Ted's job.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DoddPower
8 years ago

That's true but you know what?

Ted was in the same position with Bert Favor, and did he sign Randy Moss? Marshawn Lynch? HELL NO. He knew Bert had a closing window and still, DID NOT PANIC.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Ted Thompson also had Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings. John Elway doesn't have that. Big difference.
nerdmann
8 years ago

Ted Thompson also had Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings. John Elway doesn't have that. Big difference.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

Of course that begs the question.

Ted DRAFTED Aaron. He also hired Mike to develop Aaron. It's not like Aaron was left behind by aliens with no impetus on the part of Ted.

The reason Elway doesn't have an Aaron, is because Elway didn't 1: acquire one and 2: develop one.

Not saying Osweiler isn't gonna be a good 'un either. Haven't followed him. Just saying.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
We're about to see just how great John Elway is.

- qb Peyton Manning
- qb Brock Osweiller (who was drafted to be the heir apparent)
- te Owen Daniels (released)
- lb Danny Trevathan
- dl Malik Jackson
- rb C.J. Anderson
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
8 years ago

We're about to see just how great John Elway is.

- qb Peyton Manning
- qb Brock Osweiller (who was drafted to be the heir apparent)
- te Owen Daniels (released)
- lb Danny Trevathan
- dl Malik Jackson
- rb C.J. Anderson

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Let's see if he can maintain that consistency for 11 years.
DoddPower
8 years ago

Let's see if he can maintain that consistency for 11 years.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

It's very unlikely he will because he won't have an Aaron Rodgers. He has yet to have an Aaron Rodgers. He did, however, make the most out of what he has had or could get. That's all a General Manager can do. He gambled, put his cards on the table, and won a championship while he still had a shell or a QB that was a great inspiration in Peyton Manning. So now he's won as many championships as an Aaron Rodgers-led Packers.

It was a mistake to let Brock go, though, even though I think he is vastly overrated. He better have some type of plan, because a team HAS to have a QB to win in the NFL. That's probably a blunder. It would have been better to overpay a homegrown QB than trade a valuable draft pick (s) for the horrible Kapernick and still pay him $11 million plus per year.

The Bronco's also benefited from a few high draft picks that allowed them to obtain a superstar like Von Miller. It's hard to win a Super Bowl with a game changing player like that, and that Packers don't have one on defense, and only one on offense. I'm sorry, but Clay Mathews isn't a game changing player anymore. He's just good-to-very good, at best, especially as a full time OLB.

But still, credit is due to John Elway for squeezing a Super Bowl victory out of his roster while he could. If it didn't happen last year, it probably wouldn't happen any time soon. the Bronco's were in for some rebuilding regardless.
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
Something to consider here when comparing Elway to Thompson is Thompson inherited a team that was picking in the bottom half of the draft every year and Elway inherited a team that had been picking towards the top of every round. Not taking away from Elway, he did win a Championship and that's what it's about. It's just hard to say Elway is better than Thompson when being the almighty word here, objective!!

Didn't spend a lot of time here, but here's where they originally were selecting. I would have to think the Packers would have a little better roster if they were picking there too. Then again, the Broncos developed their players so they do deserve a lot of credit for that.

2011 - 2nd (Elway first year as Exec)
2010 - 14th
2009 - 12th
2008 - 12th
2007 - 21st
2006 - 15th
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
8 years ago
I think it just proves that you can win and win it all using multiple different approaches. We have won with mostly a draft and develop. The Pats have won with a more blended approach. And the Broncos have won with a fire all the bullets in the clip.

The difference is the later generally falls off for a period and can't sustain. The prior two, sustain more consistently. There is a small margin between the first two... but based purely on results, one could argue the middle ground is slightly more productive. I use those three examples because all three have Hall of Fame type QB's pulling the trigger.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DoddPower
8 years ago

I think it just proves that you can win and win it all using multiple different approaches. We have won with mostly a draft and develop. The Pats have won with a more blended approach. And the Broncos have won with a fire all the bullets in the clip.

The difference is the later generally falls off for a period and can't sustain. The prior two, sustain more consistently. There is a small margin between the first two... but based purely on results, one could argue the middle ground is slightly more productive. I use those three examples because all three have Hall of Fame type QB's pulling the trigger.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I agree, but I look at John Elway and the Bronco's situation like their hand was forced. They didn't have a QB, so they went out and got one and had historic seasons culminating in a two Super Bowls and one victory and the retirement of their QB. I'm sure Elway would react differently if he had an Aaron Rodgers or Cam Newton. He did what it took to win given the circumstances of his team. A General Manager with a QB like Aaron Rodgers would likely make some different decisions, but one Super Bowl appearance and victory isn't enough. Aaron Rodgers needs to play better, but he's still good enough to win another Super Bowl as long as the rest of the team is playing well enough.

The Bronco's are likely going to regress quite a bit now, but props to the organization for winning a Super Bowl before their window closed. Now it's time for them to find their Aaron Rodgers. If they find one, I bet Elway will make sure the team has enough talent around him to seriously compete for another Super Bowl victory.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2m) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.