uffda udfa
8 years ago
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post/_/id/4701954/patriots-packers-among-teams-that-could-make-sense-for-matt-forte 

----Hmmm. I'm not sure the writer of this has followed the Packers over the last 10 seasons. Perhaps, he's getting this idea from us nabbing the former Bear, in Peppers? Yes, in fact, he is... Rob Demovsky, c'mon, man!

Why in the world would our GM who rarely dips into FA and rarely pays anywhere near top dollar all of a sudden jump in for a RB with Forte's mileage and recent injury history? He's the wrong side of 30 and we already have one of those guys near 30 who knows our O and helped us to our last Lombardi.

Now, New England, the other team mentioned makes a ton of sense as that has been their MO. If they brought in Jackson to play RB at his grizzled stage then I see no reason for them not to desire Forte who would be great for them in both run and pass.

Of course, I would love a back like Matt Forte. A guy who could be such a great threat in the pass game and on 3rd downs is surely enticing. Plus, sticking it to the Bears never gets old not that I think a Bears fan would give us that satisfaction claiming Jeremy Langford is better, and he might actually be so I don't really think we'd be sticking it to the Bears so scratch that off the list for one of the fun reasons to acquire him.

I think we all know we're going to be looking at Lacy (hopefully less of him), Starks, and John Crockett when camp rolls around and the always fresh crop of UDFA guys. God forbid we actually use a pick on a game changing RB that can help on 3rd down. Sadly, we've been forced to talk about tweeners and dual role players here because we know we aren't getting anything new. It's like being forced to love the crappy toys you had as a kid because you knew your parents weren't going to get you anything new. Lowered expectations might make it easier for you but it's never the right way to look at things. Expectations should always be high. Why get a 3rd down back when we can just use a WR like RC18 or 88 in that role? That is how we're conditioned. I don't know of another fanbase that has to think so ridiculous and low like ours. We want that open roster space for guys like Demetri Goodson whom failed as draft choices but we just can't let go of.

Adding pieces? That's not our organization's forte.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

blueleopard
8 years ago
Woodson was presumed over the hill, same with Peppers. Pickett wasn't all that young when he signed with us either.

Some reporter out of the Chicago Tribune said that Peppers is already rallying Forte to sign with us. It helps to have that guy around, and I'd embrace the signing especially since Rodgers loves to just dump the ball off now.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
DarkaneRules
8 years ago
I see no why we couldn't make this work and work well. A lot of this depends on Starks.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DakotaT
8 years ago

I see no why we couldn't make this work and work well. A lot of this depends on Starks.

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

Forte is a major upgrade over Starks.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
8 years ago
At the start, I admit I was dead set against it.
After reading the posts here though, you guys have made me rethink it. Maybe he still has something left.
Being on a new team might give him a desire to really try to play great.
Guess we will see.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
8 years ago

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

2 years ago Starks got 1.625 per for 2 years and 725K Guaranteed. In 2015, in under 200 touches Starks had 5 Fumbles...FIVE. And he only went fumble-less in his rookie year. Given that the rest of the league has come to know the diminished value of the RB, I just cant imagine Starks getting 1 cent over the min.
uffda udfa
8 years ago
Langford was hailed with immediately giving the Bears running game better pop. Langford's much better burst was reported on through various news sources. It was further reported they split time and let Forte be the nominal starter out of respect for the guy he is and his past performance. So, does Forte still have it? Or...is it a Favre/Rodgers case where one still has it but the other is better and needs to play? Could be.

I would like to see this signing and this would be one of the main reasons why. Do you think we could use another guy like this?...

"Matt's a leader," Bears linebacker Sam Acho said. "He's a guy you hear about when you play in the NFL -- you hear about this guy, this character. I played with a guy like that in (eight-time Pro Bowl pick) Larry Fitzgerald when I was in Arizona.

"As I've gotten a chance to know (Forte) better, his leadership has really stood out. He's a man of character. He's a man of faith, and he's just a passionate man, passionate football player."

----PASSIONATE? Yes, please. Person of character? Yes, please. Good in run and pass game and on 3rd downs? Yes, please. Ted Thompson going to pay a 30 year old running back? I highly doubt it. Why? He likes the guys he's got. We all know it.

EDIT: Peppers lobbying will have zero effect on TT. Aaron desperately wanted Marshawn Lynch. We got to see him go win a SB in Seattle and tear up the league. Well, perhaps, Ted Thompson has learned from that but Marshawn wasn't 30, either, though so I doubt this would ever happen.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

TheKanataThrilla
8 years ago
I'm a finance geek. At the end of the day the question will be how much will it cost? No way I think in my brain how much I want to pay will be how much Forte wants.
dhazer
8 years ago

I'm a finance geek. At the end of the day the question will be how much will it cost? No way I think in my brain how much I want to pay will be how much Forte wants.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I thought I read in the article that Forte mentions he wants to go with a winner and it's not about the money, so with that you look at the top teams and I think he ends up in NE of course. Either them or maybe even a Denver or Seattle, but I think the Packers lost their top teams ranking. Hell he could even end up in Arizona which is higher rated than us.

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
8 years ago

I thought I read in the article that Forte mentions he wants to go with a winner and it's not about the money, so with that you look at the top teams and I think he ends up in NE of course. Either them or maybe even a Denver or Seattle, but I think the Packers lost their top teams ranking. Hell he could even end up in Arizona which is higher rated than us.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

What teams are ahead of the Packers? In NFC I can reason with Seahawks, Panthers and that's about it. Cardinals can't possibly be viewed much better considering during the PLAYOFFS the Packers pushed them into overtime with THREE receivers of the names Jeff Janis, James Jones and Jared Abbrederis. You give me Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb and Ty Montgomery and I'll give your Cardinals Tyrann Mathieu and my money is on the Packers.

Saying the Packers are not one of the teams just wreaks as "look at me, I think I'm objective!". Hogwash!

But hey, I bet the Lions are JUST AROUND THE CORNER OF DOMINANCE, right?

[whead] 🤣 🤣
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
Zero2Cool (9h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
wpr (17-Mar) : INI
wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.